• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How bad is it really

Pieces

Veteran Member
Due to an injury I decided to change my Camino from the Primitivo to the Portugues (Porto to Santiago). The reason I decided to change is that while it is still not as crowded as the french there won't be as far between places to stay for the night/towns to have restdays in, if necessary and in general it seems more popolated than the Primitive way, which seems very remote in case I wont be able to wlak any further in the middle of an etapa.

But honestly I am not at all thrilled as I was really looking forward to nature and being somewhat away from civilization.

As I read up on the Portuguese the mood worsens, and I am not even sure I want to go anymore (there may be a tiny measure of self pity here, but very very tiny...) and by now I am convinced that it will all be mostly asphalt and highways and industrial areas, no alburges and all hotels...

So with brutal honesty, how bad is it really ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can't remember the asphalt to dirt path ratio but I wouldn't say it is bad. I took a bus out of Porto to cut off the first 10-15 km. as I had heard it was mainly city/highway walking. THere were some nice rural parts as well...lots of beautiful flowers as I recall. Except for in Barcelos where there was not an albergue, and in another town (where we stayed at the youth hostel) I stayed in albergues everynight. It was not my favorite camino but I love Portugal and Galicia and I really enjoyed it.

how much city walking do you think there is apart from the porto bit (which i am ok with if it is the only bit :D)

also, even if I should'nt be asking as I am sure there is a limit ti how many changes one can make to a plane ticket: which was your favorite and why ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can take the beach route as well. I did a portion of the route out of Porto and have to admit I did not enjoy it.

I know, I know I will not enjoy the way out of porto either, but in some ways it feels like cheating to take the metro for the first bit even if I am tempted (no offence, not passing judgement on anyone elses camino, just my own)

I did look at the beach route does it leave the traffic heavy porto parts faster or ?

Also I am a bit confused about what and where the actual historical camino runs, got the brierly guide, but he seems to blend all sorts of irelevant into things so am only more confused after it arrived...

Pieces,

Very logical in your approach, though worrying about "cheating" by taking a bus/train isn't really a big deal. The old saying that "all roads lead to Roma" is as appropriate to the Camino. All roads will eventually lead you to Santiago if that is your goal. It's the destination that's important, and with the 100km requirement to receive the Compostela...that's in stone.

Enjoy your Camino! You've already begun.

Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did a 33 day Camino from SJ to Santiago in 2009 which was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. In 2010 I planned to do the Portuguese route from Porto. I started out of Porto, walked a few days, wasn't really feeling it, took a train, walked another day, and then took the train to Santiago. It could have been my state of mind at the time, but I didn't finish. I've been reading a lot about the route from Madrid and it sounds more my style-secluded and scenic.

Good Luck!

Maria

i know it is not really cheating Arn, it is an emotional thing, it is not about the piece of paper either, at least I dont think so...

that is exactly what I am afraid of will happen to me too Sans Terre.... :(

Pieces,

As long as you're physically fit...put the rest behind you and move toward Santiago.

The Camino is there...now make it yours!

Buen "now what was I concerned about?" Camino

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you box yourself in with enough conditions, it will be really bad:
no pavement
visit the cities
isolation
companions
nature
short stages
regular overnight accommodations
no bed race
low cost
light pack
cover every contingency
scenic
easy terrain
temperate weather
no snorers
physical limits
use no transportation
a real camino
safety fall back "just in case"

It will be possible to establish a list that will guarantee a sense of failure. I would ask myself -- is that what I want to do?

I walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles in March 2008. Loved it and met some wonderful people. Some of us that met on the Camino Frances decided to meet in POrto the following year to walk that route. Our schedules conflicted so we only had 8 days --so had fairly long days (which, I think, added to it not being my favorite route because we really had to stick to a schedule which on my other caminos was not the case). I think because it was short, I didn't get into it as much. But, you do pass through some nice Portuguese towns and the Galicia portion is nice too. In Summer 2009 I walked part (Irun-Oviedo/Aviles) of the Camino del Norte which had really stunning natural beauty. I think you will find many people who will comment here who really liked the Portuguese route. I liked it too, I think though that without the freedom to stop an extra day, or take a shorter day, here or there, it took some of the enjoyment out of it...of course that was my fault and not the fault of the route itself. I'd much rather walk the Camino Portugues than not walk a camino though. As to "cheating"...I understand you. On my first Camino (Frances) I did not take any buses/trains, etc as I did not want to and felt I would be cheating myself a little bit. I knkow it is not cheating but I, for me, wanted to walk the whole thing. On my other caminos, however, I did (the bus at start from Porto)...and train around outskirts of Bilbao on n. route to avoid the petrochemical plants (a Spanish friend who I stayed with in Bilbao urged me to skip some of that part as he told me I need not see the ugly stuff). So, I understand what you mean ...the walking out of Porto won't be that long so if you dont' want to take a bus/metro, the walking should be fine. Whatever works best for you. I think you will find many things you likeon the Portuguese route. Does the brierley guide break down the % of asphalt walking vs. path walking? I think it does in the Camino Frances guide.

The issue of "cheating" (taking a bus or a taxi, or similar) has actually popped up several times in this forum and I actually witnessed some people on my Camino that did the same.
In my opinion the issue is a personal one and has to do with your reasons for doing the Camino. If this is a vacation, adventure, cultural, etc, type of trip, then you might well feel comfortable with some help when needed or desired, or to bypass unpleasant portions of the walk. No problem. After all, this is supposed to be fun.
On the other hand, if you walk the Camino from the perspective of a true pilgrimage, I would submit that there is a sacrifice/suffering aspect to that endeavor, and "cheating" perhaps defeats the purpose or lessens the experience.
Obviously, there is no right or wrong answer. When you finish your Camino, you and you alone, will know how you feel about it, and that's all that really matters.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I made a friend on the Camino who had serious knee problems. She began walking in Cahors in France with her husband, and had already walked more than the whole Camino Frances distance before she took her first taxi ride. She was abused and vilified by some 'proper pilgrim' who saw her get out of a taxi in a town near the base of O'Cebreiro.

I was glad to walk the whole of the last 100km with her and her husband. We knew we might have to walk some shorter days from Sarria to 'nurse' her knee along to the end. In Santiago, she placed some medals at the Saint's tomb: she had carried them all the way on behalf of a dying friend who she thought of/prayed for often as we walked.

She was and remains incredibly proud of her Compostela- it brought great joy to her. Those who think they might judge she 'cheated', or was not a 'proper' pilgrim because she took the occasional bus/taxi ride earlier on simply have no right to make such a judgment.
Margaret

Pieces,

I guess how "bad" or "good" a certain Camino is, depends on one's expectations and attitude. If you seek nature and solitude as on the Primitivo, you might be a bit "disappointed" by the Portugues, but then again it is a different Camino and it has its own special flavours. I for one enjoyed it very much, especially the Portuguese part. There are stretches of beautiful nature, old churches, colourful cities, beaches, vineyards, great food (pasteis de nata, pimientos de Padron) and drink...

Speaking only for myself, I found the worst parts to be from Porto to Vilarinho (dangerous road) and then in Spain around Porrino (industrial area). Fortunately, you have beautiful streches too, especially between Barcelos and Valenca. And you can take the coastal route out of Porto and then join the inland route as described in Brierley. As to accommodation: there is no need to stay in hotels if you don't want to, as you can end each stage in an albergue. In Portugal you have albergues in Rates, Portela de Tamel, Ponte de Lima, Rubiaes and Valenca and in Spain you have plenty of albergues, both in the cities and in small villages.

Enjoy! Ultreia!

P.

daesdaemar said:
On the other hand, if you walk the Camino from the perspective of a true pilgrimage, I would submit that there is a sacrifice/suffering aspect to that endeavor, and "cheating" perhaps defeats the purpose or lessens the experience.
Obviously, there is no right or wrong answer. When you finish your Camino, you and you alone, will know how you feel about it, and that's all that really matters.

I feel this way as well, that you take from it whats right for you. I feel like all the walking benefits me mentally and so as a result everything else comes into more harmony. I dont catch public transport not because i think it is 'cheating', but it is the actual walking that is of value to me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
mikevasey said:
daesdaemar said:

I feel this way as well, that you take from it whats right for you. I feel like all the walking benefits me mentally and so as a result everything else comes into more harmony. I dont catch public transport not because i think it is 'cheating', but it is the actual walking that is of value to me.

Not sure at all about the definition of "true pilgrimage" as involving suffering and sacrifice. Yes, your feet hurt etc., but that's only a by-product, and not a welcome inclusion for many, who devote care and attention to avoiding it as much as possible.

A long time ago, in San Juan de Ortega, a Spanish pilg spoke with an 'unusual ' satisfaction about his bloody blisters. We later mused on the motives and reasoning (if that's the right word) of those who welcomed suffering. There were several conclusions. There is no biblical provenance for it of course, so it was open to speculation.

MickV may be right though in his agreement on this topic of suffering; "you take from it what's right for you".

Caminando said:
MickV may be right though in his agreement on this topic of suffering; "you take from it what's right for you".

Thanks Cami, not sure about suffering as well, might have discomfort but always avoid it if possible.

Thanks Guys for your opinions on suffering, an true vs untrue pilgrimages

my point with this post is mainly on how much traffic and how many industrial areas I will suffer on this route so input on that is also welcome :mrgreen: :lol:

as to the other part, I don't, as I mentioned above, pass judgement on anyone elses pilgrimages, but I feel like cheating if i say I will walk to santiago from porto and then take a bus half the way because I didn't like the scenery, and i would feel this way even if i only went for a stroll and not a pilgrimage.

On the other hand, I did change my route so exactly that was possible, taking a buss, not if I got bored but in case my leg injury got so bad that I wouldn't be able to walk, as was the case a few weeks ago, because I am not stupid enough to risk that on the middle og the Hospitales with no satelitecoverage, so what ever the circumstances... :D

anyways, just my 2 cents, fire away on any kinds of cheating and suffering :p

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Caminando said:
mikevasey said:
daesdaemar said:

Not sure at all about the definition of "true pilgrimage" as involving suffering and sacrifice. Yes, your feet hurt etc., but that's only a by-product, and not a welcome inclusion for many, who devote care and attention to avoiding it as much as possible.

A long time ago, in San Juan de Ortega, a Spanish pilg spoke with an 'unusual ' satisfaction about his bloody blisters. We later mused on the motives and reasoning (if that's the right word) of those who welcomed suffering. There were several conclusions. There is no biblical provenance for it of course, so it was open to speculation.

In my statement above, my use of the term "true pilgrimage" was meant to convey my understanding of the historical religious pilgrimage(s).
Traditionally, most pilgrims traveled long distances with little means, often sleeping out unprotected and scrounging for their next meal. Suffering and/or sacrifice need not be just physical pain. Many years ago, and to this day, doing a pilgrimage was a demanding task.
It was not my intent to say that suffering and/or sacrifice was a necessity for a pilgrimage, but I do believe that for many, if not most, that element does exist. The Camino de Santiago is somewhat unique (IMHO) as for many people it has become a vacation, a fun thing to do, a cultural/social adventure. There is nothing at all wrong with that! But, for some, it does remain a true religious pilgrimage. Perhaps one the the great things about it is that diversity of people on the road.
Having said all that, my real point is that the Camino is for yourself. Only you can decide it's significance.

Pieces said:
my point with this post is mainly on how much traffic and how many industrial areas I will suffer on this route so input on that is also welcome :mrgreen: :lol:

Ha, Ha, you said "I will suffer" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, it sounds as if you've done your homework and have considered any role your injury might play. You should do well. I hope you have a great Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back