• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is Baiona to Santiago.

Teresa McQuaid

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2018)
Next year I plan to walk Baiona to Santiago. I did Sarria to Santiago in May this year and I enjoyed it having many others walking at the same time. I do the Portuguese route from Baiona am I likely to be on my own.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My experience in July 2016 was that there were not many people on the route from Baiona to Redondela (2 days for me). At Redondela the coastal route merges with the central route and there were many more people from that point on to Santiago. So it may be quiet for the first couple of days, but it seems to me that there are more and more people walking the Portuguese routes each year.

My experience in July 2016 was that there were not many people on the route from Baiona to Redondela (2 days for me). At Redondela the coastal route merges with the central route and there were many more people from that point on to Santiago. So it may be quiet for the first couple of days, but it seems to me that there are more and more people walking the Portuguese routes each year.
Thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do the Portuguese route from Baiona am I likely to be on my own.

Hi Teresa, yes, maybe, for a while at least, from Baiona. There are others walking, but lots of couples, and they are usually joined at the hip, so you feel like you are invading their space if you try and walk with them (you probably aren’t, but you still feel like you are). You may find a few walkers in the cafes to chat with if not on the path.

As you get into the Vigo suburbs the pilgrims disappear amongst the joggers and dog walkers. So, yes, expect to be alone at least to Redondela. You then hit the main Central route, and you’ll meet LOTS of people.

If you take the Variante Espiritual, after Pontevedra, it gets quiet again, but the only albergues to stay at are in Armenteira and Vila Nova de Arousa, so it can become very social, depending on who else is walking at the same time as you.

The first time I stayed at Armenteira we were ALL females, 16 of us, all individuals, and we had a ball. It was one of my best nights ever. We used both male and female ablutions, had a great evening in the bar/restaurant in the village, and we could strip in the dorm with gay abandon!
Jill

Hi Teresa, yes, maybe, for a while at least, from Baiona. There are others walking, but lots of couples, and they are usually joined at the hip, so you feel like you are invading their space if you try and walk with them (you probably aren’t, but you still feel like you are). You may find a few walkers in the cafes to chat with if not on the path.

As you get into the Vigo suburbs the pilgrims disappear amongst the joggers and dog walkers. So, yes, expect to be alone at least to Redondela. You then hit the main Central route, and you’ll meet LOTS of people.

If you take the Variante Espiritual, after Pontevedra, it gets quiet again, but the only albergues to stay at are in Armenteira and Vila Nova de Arousa, so it can become very social, depending on who else is walking at the same time as you.

The first time I stayed at Armenteira we were ALL females, 16 of us, all individuals, and we had a ball. It was one of my best nights ever. We used both male and female ablutions, had a great evening in the bar/restaurant in the village, and we could strip in the dorm with gay abandon!
Jill
Thank you so much for this information. I can cope with couple days of walking on my own knowing that the route them fills out with others.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back