• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is Ourense - Santiago in August?

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Hola amig@s peregrin@s, I would like to walk the Sanabrés in August. I figured that this Camino would most likely not be too busy as hardly anyone will start the Via de la Plata in Sevilla in scorching July. But what about the last 100 kms from Ourense on? Does anyone know if I should expect crowds there in August? I know it will be busier than before Ourense anyway, but should August be considered as high season on that part of the Sanabrés?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would imagine there'll be very few people. Ourense isn't a popular starting point at any time of year. I certainly hear of very few people walking it. Buen Camino!

To answer my own question I looked at the statistics of August 2022. A total of 1697 pilgrims who got a Compostela started in Ourense. So that is quite a lot, about 55 a day, without counting all those pilgrims who didn't go after a Compostela...

In 2019 that number was 690, so the increase is impressive... :oops:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So that is quite a lot, about 55 a day, without counting all those pilgrims who didn't go after a Compostela...

It is quite a lot given the number of albergues along that route. But compared to the 1000+ per day on the final stages of the Frances in August it probably won't seem so bad!

It is quite a lot given the number of albergues along that route. But compared to the 1000+ per day on the final stages of the Frances in August it probably won't seem so bad!
That is why I always compare it with the number of beds. My worry is not that the stages will look like the Ramblas in Barcelona, but that there aren't enough beds for this amount of pilgrims.

I had a look at the statistics and (as is often the case when I look at pilgrims office statistics) I'm sceptical.

2135 pilgrims arrived on the Via in August 2022 (all starting points). That's 68 or so a day.

With that number of pilgrims all the albergues would be jammed. I've never heard about people complaining about full albergues on this stretch. But what do I know?

Please come back and tell us how you get on. I'm interested to know if this is really the case.

Gerald

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@geraldkelly is Ourense in those statistics a starting point on the Via de la Plata? Or is it considered Camino Sanabrés? It is of course very unlikely that so many pilgrims would walk the Plata in August, but if the 55 or so from Ourense are included that number is possible of course.

I walked the Sanabres from G de M in September 2019 and never ever booked ahead. Certainly no problem after Ourense.

I walked the VdlP in August of 2013. (it was very hot :cool:) There were no other pilgrims until Salamanca and then a few each day.
Actually, the albergue in Ourense was nearly full... after a pretty empty walk from Seville.

From Ourense, there were pilgrims walking every day into Santiago and the albergues were well populated. I do not recall anyone being completo..but pretty full.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Sanabres from G de M in September 2019 and never ever booked ahead. Certainly no problem after Ourense.
I am not surprised that it was quiet in September. But August is holiday month in Spain, so very different I assume.

I walked the VdlP in August of 2013. (it was very hot :cool:) There were no other pilgrims until Salamanca and then a few each day.
Actually, the albergue in Ourense was nearly full... after a pretty empty walk from Seville.

From Ourense, there were pilgrims walking every day into Santiago and the albergues were well populated. I do not recall anyone being completo..but pretty full.
Wow, and that was back in 2013. It is of course very likely that there are more albergues now, but so far it looks like I should be prepared for a possible bed shortage in August after Ourense.

P.S: I walked part of the Via de la Pata in August 2014 (from Salamanca to Benavente, from there I travelled to León and continued on the Francés). I recall a couple of cyclists, but hardly any pilgrims walking.

I've walked many camino and the Sanabre is my favorite if you have a week. We haven't been back since 2016 but it was beautiful and quiet, lovely and remember there are two routes for part of the way so pilgrims can be dispersed. Be prepared, you will adapt, your on pilgrimage, not a packaged tour. Ultreya!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm going to walk from A Gudiña with my wife and our 2-year old son this September. Do I need to worry about free beds on that part?

I'm going to walk from A Gudiña with my wife and our 2-year old son this September. Do I need to worry about free beds on that part?
I don't think it will be an issue until Ourense. Most people passing through A Gudina in September will be long-distance walkers from the Via de la Plata and not many will have been walking it during August.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps an explantion for those not familiar with the Sanabres....
Ourense is the 100km point on this route (to qualify for the Compostela) ...thus it is the starting point for many pilgrims in the same way that Sarria is for the Camino Frances.
Exactly. That is why I am a bit concerned about August, which is also the busiest month on the Sarria - Santiago part of the Francés. I wouldn't expect many problems in September though. But it also depends on where you want to (and are allowed to) stay with a 2-year-old.

Exactly. ... (and are allowed to) stay with a 2-year-old.
Should I expect some difficulties with that?

Edit: Ok, in terms of numbers the statistics for September 2022 looks really relaxed with <600 arrivals from Ourense.

Exactly. That is why I am a bit concerned about August, which is also the busiest month on the Sarria - Santiago part of the Francés. I wouldn't expect many problems in September though. But it also depends on where you want to (and are allowed to) stay with a 2-year-old.
with that in mind, here´s a golden tip:

Do stop in at a last leg before Santiago, and book in at Albergue Reina Lupa. This will be a short 10 km before the end. It is new and good and it will be a better, shorter stretch the next day w/ a twoyearold....
The residing Mama runs a very tidy ship
Good food in the restaurant at the roadside, Albergue set a little back from the road, good rooms also private ones, soundproof from the noise of the road. A good night´s sleep before SdC!

on the map, notice it is on the N-525, very near to the route ( 200 metres )

W4m-1QXtJyK.png

info@alberguereinalupa.com

7KDVc3hw483.png

+34 981 51 18 03

1684312047915.png

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Should I expect some difficulties with that?

Edit: Ok, in terms of numbers the statistics for September 2022 looks really relaxed with <600 arrivals from Ourense.
I don't know to be honest, but I can imagine that small children are not allowed dorms (but I might be wrong).

I am not surprised that it was quiet in September. But August is holiday month in Spain, so very different I assume.
I always left early in the mornings and consequently arrived at the next albergue around 2pm. i was usually the first one in so never had any problems. If you intend arriving late in the afternoons perhaps you should book ahead.
However, please bear in mind that most municipals do not take bookings.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola amig@s peregrin@s, I would like to walk the Sanabrés in August. I figured that this Camino would most likely not be too busy as hardly anyone will start the Via de la Plata in Sevilla in scorching July. But what about the last 100 kms from Ourense on? Does anyone know if I should expect crowds there in August? I know it will be busier than before Ourense anyway, but should August be considered as high season on that part of the Sanabrés?
Hola! I am considering dropping off the CF and heading to Ourense to finish in SDC . I would arrive Ourense in mid-Oct. I am interested in more information regarding the route if anyone wishes to speak. Gracias!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can now somehow answer my own question (however I wasn't able to walk this part as I got injured before Ourense).

Also before Ourense there were more pilgrims on the road than I would have thought in August. No crowds at all, but we were mostly with 6-10 pilgrims in the albergues (of which 2 bicigrinos).

In Albergueria I spoke with 2 pilgrims who were walking the Sanabres backwards. They said they met quite a lot of pilgrims in between Santiago and Ourense (mostly walking in groups). Sometimes they had trouble finding a bed.

I am in the Grelo hostel in Ourense now (so not in the Xunta albergue). It has been quiet here yesterday and today, still beds available tomorrow (Friday night), but I saw the albergue is sold out on Booking on Saturday night. So that might suggest that the biggest wave of pilgrims walks out of Ourense on a Sunday.

I can now somehow answer my own question (however I wasn't able to walk this part as I got injured before Ourense).

Also before Ourense there were more pilgrims on the road than I would have thought in August. No crowds at all, but we were mostly with 6-10 pilgrims in the albergues (of which 2 bicigrinos).

In Albergueria I spoke with 2 pilgrims who were walking the Sanabres backwards. They said they met quite a lot of pilgrims in between Santiago and Ourense (mostly walking in groups). Sometimes they had trouble finding a bed.

I am in the Grelo hostel in Ourense now (so not in the Xunta albergue). It has been quiet here yesterday and today, still beds available tomorrow (Friday night), but I saw the albergue is sold out on Booking on Saturday night. So that might suggest that the biggest wave of pilgrims walks out of Ourense on a Sunday.
Interesting.
Are you not able to continue walking?

Grelo is nice when there is only few staying and very loud when bikers arrive en masse...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nope. Old Achilles tendons problems returned. Recovery will take months....
Sorry to hear that. Hope you have a swift recovery.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back