• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is route Napoleon in June ? (concerned about walking this stretch alone)

Dutchwalk53

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2015 with son #1, CF 2016 alone, CF 2017 with son #2 and husband , CF Sept 2018 with daughter
Looks like I'll be walking alone this time. The only stretch that concerns me is from SJPP to Roncesvalles. Is this a fairly busy stretch in June? Last time I started in Pamplona and there were most of the time other pilgrims within 100 meters. Is this the same in the Pyrenees? I don't mind walking alone but would love to see some other people around me . Just for safety reasons. (not so much because I'm afraid to be attacked but more in case you trip or so and need a hand.) Also is the route very clearly marked? I know it is everywhere else but read somewhere the markers are different there? (don't want to get lost there :)) I know I could take the lower route but I have my heart set on the Napoleon route . However if this is a not so smart idea...I won't :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The statistics if I recall correctly is that 30000 pilgrims that reach Santiago start from SJPdP. The summer months are busiest. You won't need to worry about being stranded alone.

The route is marked with Yellow arrows. The confusing bits are near SJPdP where there are several intersections. The critical part where you leave the road is well marked. I found the last bit where there is a decision point of going down a relatively steep hill through a forest or taking a road down to the highway and adding a km to the walk ... that point wasn't well indicated. You can see the albergue from this point so its not a big issue. I do recall there being a sign for GR11 which is a trans Pyrenees hiking trail.

Your only concern is that you have enough time to make the journey before it gets dark. The mountain weather can get snotty so make sure you have some energy snacks and good rain gear.

Logically thinking ..... I should know that the Napoleon is no different the the rest of the Camino. Just need some reassurance I guess because I'm walking alone this time (last time my son was always in sight )

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In June, I'm sure you will never have a moment when another person is not visible. I walked in October 2012 and there were SO MANY people leaving SJPdP the same day I left, and we all kept criss-crossing paths all day. I'm sure it will be an amazing day! Happy planning :)

Plenty of people, and hardly anywhere that could be confîusing, nothing to worry about, you'll be just fine as long as you take your time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked alone from SJPdP to Orisson - it's pretty well marked leaving Saint Jean, and you can't really go far wrong on the rest of the climb up to Orisson.

If you stay at Orisson that first night, you will meet around 30 other people and set out with them the next morning so no chance to walk alone! Though you may well find yourself walking at times with no one else in sight, there is always someone within a few hundred metres.

I was there this June gone and I can't remember been alone, my memories are always with others in sight. Plus met ppl walking out of St. Jean and we were walking buddies from then on! I definitely don't think you have need for concern in June :)
Buen Camino

Hi,
I walked alone during Sept 2013 and the route was very busy with other people always in view. The weather was very good and the views superb so I do understand why you want to take this route. I suspect that in June there will be many other pilgrims also so I think you will not be alone. However the weather is a very significant factor and perhaps at least as important as having company. Simply put if the weather is not good for the day you want to cross either delay your start until the weather improves or take the alternative route. 1400m above seal level in poor weather is somewhere you do not want to be. I hope you get the weather as you will get the company.
Aidan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks all. I kind of knew the answer but just needed a boost of confidence :) I walked with my son this year from Pamplona so walking alone and starting in SJPP is a new adventure for me.

I walked this way the end of September. I was with people in sight all the time, and actually -coming from the lonely Piedmont way- I felt it quite crowded. When I stopped for a rest at Virgin of Biakorry (this is more or less half of the way) we were 15 or 20 of us. In June, which is high season, there will be much more people.
The SJPP Pilgrim's bureau will give you a leaflet with a sketchy map and instructions.
Being summer, carry plenty of water -there will be none between Huntto and Fuente de Roldán (km. 16.5).
Estimate your times so you arrive well before night. I did 9 hrs, which apparently is average.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be walking alone this time. The only stretch that concerns me is from SJPP to Roncesvalles. Is this a fairly busy stretch in June? ... Also is the route very clearly marked? ...

In June you will be in a Conga line of pilgrims, no worries, and yes, it is very well marked. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As said in the comments above, there will be plenty of people around you. This was the view in late May......

00021r.jpg

Would it also be true in mid-April that there would be enough walkers on the Napoleon that one wouldn't be alone for long stretches? I'm hoping to do the same then, if the weather cooperates.

Would it also be true in mid-April that there would be enough walkers on the Napoleon that one wouldn't be alone for long stretches? I'm hoping to do the same then, if the weather cooperates.

As Easter is early this year, I am sure there will be plenty of pilgrims around in mid-April. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back