• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is the Camino del Norte

wbroeckx

I have walked from Salamanca to Santiago on the Ruta de la Plata last may. It was very quiet, peaceful! How quiet is the Camino del Norte? How many pilgrims would one meet a day?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi W,
I was on the Norte route last July and it was not quiet.
There were many pilgrims , although there were some days when you would see nobody at all!
That being said, the hostels/Alburgues were always quite busy.
Its a quiet route, journey wise, with few villages between Etapas, unlike the Camino Frances, but it is quite beautiful and cool as you are on the coast and higher.
I did find it tougher at times particularly between Irun and Bilbao.
I finished in Snatander and I intend to go back next month to start again and hopefully, injuries permitting, go all the way to Santiago.

Buen Camino.

Peter

This year in july the Norte (and primitivo) was not quiet at all. During walking, yes, definitely and I loved the quietness. But as the Norte does not have so much albergues these were always full. Usually I arrived just in time to get a bed (often the last one) but every day there were people who had to sleep on the floor or find other accommodation.

As I don't like to have to worry about having a roof over my head at night I would definitely bring a tent if I would ever walk the Norte again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,
I walked the del Norte from Irun to SdC in May to mid-June this year. Obviously a much quieter
time than the summer months. I never had a problem finding a bed in the refugios. I would imagine that the period after the summer/holiday period is as quiet again, say from September onwards.
As well this is the perfect time for the del Norte. But be prepared for a "culture-shock" when the del Norte meets the Camino Frances in Arzua for the last 40kms to SdC.....all of a sudden the number of co-peregrinos swells from 2-handsful (max 25/day on the northern route in May/June) to several
hundreds !!!!!!
I arrived in SdC on June 7th and remember the article in the CORREO GALLEGO well: " in the last
2 days arrived more than 1000 peregrinos in Santiago....a new record number"...it goes without saying,
that the majority came along the Frances...at least from Sarria.
I treasure the tranquility, peace and solitude of the del Norte...great memories!!!
Buen Camino
Bem (Sydney/Australia)

We commenced in Bilbao on 3rd july and finished in Santiago on the 4th August.
This route is getting very popular , especially with the younger pilgrims.
There were many from Poland and Hungary and the reason they gave was that the Frances was too busy according to friends already on that route.
From Ribadeo the albergues are full very early. It seems a very popular place to start.
A few albergues need improvement as cleanliness was lacking.
Be prepared to stay in Pensions in towns from Ribadeo onwards as in July and August accommodation is hard to find before the rat race in Arzua.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back