• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is the Camino Frances at the moment?

Ewald Schmidt

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Léon- 2011
Camino Portuguese June 2018
I just heard from somebody on the Camino Frances, more or less at Torres del Rio, that the Camino is very busy at the moment, and that she is finding it hard to even get private accommodation.
Would this be true? A little bit worried, as I am leaving for the airport in an hour, and will be starting to walk from Leon on Tuesday or Wednesday. Should I bring a tent? What to do? what to do?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't know about the tent, but about 800 pilgrims a day are arriving at the Pilgrim Office for compostelas. That is about the capacity of Monte do Gozo, the largest albergue on the Camino Frances. About 80% are on the Camino Frances. That sounds busy, but accommodations were increased last year, so if you are willing and able to stay in hostals, hotels, or albergues, you should be fine.

It is very busy, but back halfway at least, it is going in waves. For two days the albergues will be filled up by 2 p.m., and then the next day only half-full. If things get too hectic, just take a day or two off, or skip ahead a bit and see if you can land yourself in the "trough."

Worse comes to worst, you can sleep in the park or under a tree or in a haystack. It will not kill you, honest! (I´ve actually done it, and with allergies! Not a great night´s sleep, but I am still alive...)
And once you get peaceful with that, you stop worrying.

Reb.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am hoping to sleep sometimes in a park or under a tree or in a haystack ... :)

Well, here we go! Goot my first sello in the cathedral in Leonn stayed ti enjoy the peace and the music. I can not keep up with private accomodation for long, so will have to think about the haystacks! Only- it is raining. But there will be a way!

Sorry for bad spelling, small blackberry keys, big fingers, small letters, old eyes!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
First day in from Leon, Tio Pepes in Villar de Mazarife is the place to be! Excellent service and food! Even though we coulnt understand one word, it was still a good experience!!! And lots of space tonite!

Buen Camino. Good health and good weather to you. I look forward to your "travelog".

We just finished the last 100 miles of the Camino Frances on Saturday, May 28 (Pedrafita do Cebreiro to Santiago). There were 3 of us so we stayed in triples in pensiones and hospedajes and did not have previous reservations. It was a little more expensive than albergues... 45 to 50 Euros a night.. but when we stayed in a private albergue it was 10 Euros a person (30 Euros total) so it was not much more for a private room and bath in a pension. We did notice that the public Albergues did fill up early in the afternoon during the 7 day walk . The private albergue (Albergue Ferramenteiro) next to the albergue Mirador in Portomarin had 120 beds and we arrived at 7:30 on May 25 and got 3 beds. Plus there were still empty beds that night... It was 10 Euros per person and very nice and clean. I think they may take reservations too. Tel. : 982 54 53 62 Good luck... we did not make reservations but managed to find inexpensive pensiones and hostales. Maybe you can find someone to share a room with along the way if you have to stay in a pension.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"And once you get peaceful with that, you stop worrying."
as Reb says the first and most important thing to learn on any Camino is there will be a bed for you at the end of the day.
I started my first Camino with the same worries having heard so many stories on here of how many people were walking how busy it all was blah blah blah,my first thoughts on waking up where will I find a bed tonight? 3 Camino's in and still counting I wake up I walk I eat and I sleep nothing else ( well maybe a little drinking!!) safe and I do mean safe in the Knowledge that the Camino will provide,surely this is why we all walk, and not to bring the ridged timetables and stress of modern life with us, our packs are heavy enough as it is.
Ian

"And once you get peaceful with that, you stop worrying."

It's so true, and it is one of the magics of the Camino... that peace...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am back home, and I can truly say that I did not ever have one night of not finding good accommodation along the way. Even if it is busy, it never was impossible. I think that is the lesson I learned on the Camino- just keep on walking, and everything will eventually turn out right!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back