• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is the CF, (May 2023)?

john07989

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting out from Leon on the 3rd of May. I've done a few caminos in the past, just wanted to get an idea of how busy it is at the moment. Would you say booking is advisable/essential, I know it can go either way at certain times.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Starting out from Leon on the 3rd of May. I've done a few caminos in the past, just wanted to get an idea of how busy it is at the moment. Would you say booking is advisable/essential, I know it can go either way at certain times.
I have no personal knowledge, but there is a current thread on Reddit saying it is very busy:
"... they all tell tales of full albergues, very non-pilgrim behaviors of fellow pilgrims, and bunk-sniping by Camino-planning companies."

I have no personal knowledge, but there is a current thread on Reddit saying it is very busy:
"... they all tell tales of full albergues, very non-pilgrim behaviors of fellow pilgrims, and bunk-sniping by Camino-planning companies."
The full quote from the Reddit thread is this:

“I have friends walking right now, and a few friends who just finished. The short time from Leon up the Salvador and down the Primitivo aside, they all tell tales of full albergues, very non-pilgrim behaviors of fellow pilgrims, and bunk-sniping by Camino-planning companies.”​
So it is not first hand experience and it is not Camino Francés experience.

We also know from years past that the Camino Francés can be busy at one end, quiet on another section and have more than enough beds at the other end. And it not only depends on the “where” but also on the “when”. It is very dynamic and it is also best when people currently walking say where they are or where and when they have made their observation …

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The full quote from the Reddit thread is this:

“I have friends walking right now, and a few friends who just finished. The short time from Leon up the Salvador and down the Primitivo aside, they all tell tales of full albergues, very non-pilgrim behaviors of fellow pilgrims, and bunk-sniping by Camino-planning companies.”​
So it is not first hand experience and it is not Camino Francés experience.
For what it's worth, the 'aside' in the quote means they are not talking about the Salvador and Primitivo (i.e. they are saying these are the exceptions), so it is likely they are indeed talking about the Francés.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The front desk guy at my albergue in Najera just showed me his reservation book. All booked until mid May, then nothing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did my second etapa today but continued to Larrasoaña. The only place to sleep is a sports building with a concrete floor - no mattress. Everything is booked, since january I've heard. Close to impossible to find anywhere to sleep at the moment. :-(

We are in Zubiri now (our 3rd day). We left this morning from Burguete at 6:30… walked into town around noon, crossed the bridge and happened upon the owner of Amets Pension and got the last room here. He said they feel it is post pandemic that it is much busier than usual. Friends we met arrived about 1:30 and just made it into the municipal albergue. We feel better trying to book ahead but are hoping that after Pamplona, things will become more relaxed. They say the Camino provides…. I believe so!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did my second etapa today but continued to Larrasoaña. The only place to sleep is a sports building with a concrete floor - no mattress. Everything is booked, since january I've heard. Close to impossible to find anywhere to sleep at the moment. :-(
But they opened something up. Was it free to stay there?

I'd be ok with sleeping anywhere really.

I have been volunteering in a gîte for the past 2 weeks in SJPP and in my opinion it is advisable to book up to Pamplona. The gîte I’m in has been full this whole month like most other gîtes here. Roncesvalles seems to be full for the next few days. After Pamplona people will start to spread out and you can always stay away from the recommended stages.
Camping Urrobi is another option between Burguete and Espinal ( a little off trail) They have dorm style rooms.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is all relative, but, and from recent experience ...

I would say very busy between both SJPP and Logroño ; and between Sarria and Santiago.

Elsewhere on the Francès, apart from particular places as Burgos, León, and Astorga, numbers these days are actually lower than they were.

Though caveat -- this year, general numbers are up from 2019.

It's free, but the floor is very hard. Looking forward to an aching body tomorrow. 🥳
This is fairly normal for local travel in the Philippines so I'm ok with it. Thanks for the info!

I’m booking 1week ahead,
tried 2 days ahead, hard to get a bed.
I’m in Granon now,
Every town I walk by is fully booked everyday
Just heard the people who start from St jean today,
some of them have to spend the night in the pilgrim office tonight , sleeping on the floor,is it true?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m booking 1week ahead,
tried 2 days ahead, hard to get a bed.
I’m in Granon now,
Every town I walk by is fully booked everyday
Just heard the people who start from St jean today,
some of them have to spend the night in the pilgrim office tonight , sleeping on the floor,is it true?
Im starting in Logroño mid May.. I was really hoping I could do it without booking ahead.. Are you saying all albergues, including private ones are all booked up days before? Or do you arrive late (after 14.00) and by then everything is full?

Im starting in Logroño mid May.. I was really hoping I could do it without booking ahead.. Are you saying all albergues, including private ones are all booked up days before? Or do you arrive late (after 14.00) and by then everything is full?
My experience was booking 1 day ahead
certainly can’t get a bed.2 days ago I was in Logrono I forgot to confirm my booking ,they give away the bed,so I have to sleep in a hostel.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am walking the Frances at the moment, am in Villamayor de Montjardin at the moment.

I found amend every night upto now … Orisson I had booked early, all others I just called the evening before.

There were beds free at night in all albergues since Orisson.

I have not felt any stress and probably wouldn’t even want to walk the Camino, if I had to fix my route and book ahead for more than one night.

The more people get anxious and risk averse, the worse the situation gets. I hope this doesn’t become the normal.

We stayed at Boadilla last night and we are booking 4-5 days in advance. Several times we have not been able to get our first choice. Albergues are full and busy.

I am in Logrono atm and Monday is a public holiday, had to book beyond here as mist places seem well filled, Santa Domingo in three nights seemed ok, maybe as our wave of walkers passes and we get past the holiday it will improve, many in my hostel (Winederful) are young Spaniards who are not walking but partying so not so winederful, lovely town

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am in Logrono atm and Monday is a public holiday, had to book beyond here as mist places seem well filled, Santa Domingo in three nights seemed ok, maybe as our wave of walkers passes and we get past the holiday it will improve, many in my hostel (Winederful) are young Spaniards who are not walking but partying so not so winederful, lovely town
oh that’s frustrating! I’ll be staying at Winederful my first night. Stayed there last year aswell. Great albergue

oh that’s frustrating! I’ll be staying at Winederful my first night. Stayed there last year aswell. Great albergue
I'm just pointing this out for the benefit of newcomers to Camino walking. Winederful is not a pilgrim albergue in Logroño, it is a hostel for everyone, whether they walk or not. Gronze.com indicates this clearly where they write: Exclusivo para peregrinos: No and Admite reserva: Sí.

When you are new to Camino walking and to being a Camino pilgrim and are unsure of your choices, the indicators on Gronze.com are helpful. Sometimes it may also be helpful to look at the comments, for example: This is a well appointed hostel and looks excellent on arrival and has a great seating area. However Logrono is a party town and this is a party hostel. A "last check in time" of 11 pm should give you a clue. My experience was that I shared a room with people who checked in after I was already in bed after walking. Some came in after 3 am and others at 5.30 am.

Others praise the hostel, it was just what they needed or wanted. Your experience may vary and may especially depend on whether you stayed there on a Friday night or Saturday night or on another day.

Of course, when pilgrims and other tourists outnumber beds in Logroño or elsewhere, you may want to take whatever you get at a modest price.

Thanks Kathar1na, I have not used Gronze but will do in future, I looked elsewhere after arrival but there was nothing available, a matter of timing, it is a bed which covers the basics, but lesson learnt. Just watched two peregrinos get turned away for tonight despite have made a booking, the email they sent was not received/acknowledged… more lessons in ensuring you get an acknowledgment I guess…personally the Tripadvisor rating of 9.3 is ambitious, in the 8’s at best from me, especially at the price, am not complaining just rating in comparison to where I have stayed to date
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A statement was posted on the Roncesvalles Albergue Facebook page this afternoon. A sad reflection on the struggle to cope with the very large numbers which have been arriving this year - many of whom have had to be turned away.

For those who have access to Facebook and read Spanish, a rare post from the albergue of Roncesvalles manager about the current situation (see link below), posted today Sunday 30 April 2023. Remember: That is the current situation in Roncesvalles and not the situation along the whole 800 km and it is now, not in 2 weeks‘ time and not in 2 months‘ time.

@Bradypus and I posted at the same time about the same thing. So he is presumably also sitting near a screen and reading stuff online. My excuse is that my legs ache from yesterday‘s walking. I wonder what his excuse is. :cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Bradypus and I posted at the same time about the same thing. So he is presumably also sitting near a screen and reading stuff online. My excuse is that my legs ache from yesterday‘s walking. I wonder what his excuse is. :cool:
Who needs an excuse! :cool: But just in case I'll say it is cold and wet round here today and sitting by a warm laptop seems a good choice. Just about to leave for a long drive and a folk music show though!

I’m walking the Frances right now and today people couldn’t get a bed at Zubiri. I arrived there at 1pm and there was already a line. Stayed in line for an hour, but there weren’t enough beds. Larrosoaña was also full. I had to take a taxi to Pamplona, which is also full but I managed to get a private accommodation on booking.com while in the taxi.

People did say to book the first few nights as it is such a bottleneck, and I tried. But my albergue in Larrosoaña didn’t hold my reservation.

TL;DR: it’s crowded right now and it’s hard to get a bed. Try to book ahead, at least for the first few days, if you can.

I have not used Gronze but will do in future, I looked elsewhere after arrival but there was nothing available, a matter of timing, it is a bed which covers the basics, but lesson learnt. Just watched two peregrinos get turned away for tonight despite have made a booking, the email they sent was not received/acknowledged… more lessons in ensuring you get an acknowledgment I guess
Best of luck, @JWST and Buen Camino to you!

As I said, I just wanted to clarify things for newcomers.

On the forum, we often use albergue quite indiscriminately but along the Camino Francés albergue has a specific meaning. It depends a little on the legal definition in the various regions - Navarra, La Rioja, CyL and Galicia - but in general albergue de peregrino is an establishment that cannot be booked and is owned and/or run by a municipality, a parish or a voluntary Camino association. Albergue on its own, followed by a name, is usually a privately owned establishment with dormitories and/or private rooms and can often be booked, and it is mainly for pilgrims but not exclusively. Other places like casa, hostal, casa rural, and of course hotel can be booked; they cater for the general public including welcoming pilgrims of course. "Booking" can mean reserving a bed with a credit card guarantee and forfeit of your money when you don't cancel before the stipulated deadline or don't turn up, or it means a loser arrangement agreed by a WhatsApp message or by email or by phone.

Gronze has the useful categories "only for pilgrims", "not only for pilgrims but oriented towards pilgrims" and no mention of pilgrims.

When people speak of "everything is booked" they usually refer to bookable establishments. It is not possible to say anything about the situation at a non-bookable albergue unless it is already later in the day and the albergue is indeed full; these albergues work on a first-come first-served basis, and can apparently sometimes be full by 1 pm or so but I think this is rather the exception than the rule.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
They were still using this yesterday when i went thru larrasoana. Probably 40-50 Pilgrims on cardboard in a concrete outdoor gym, all old people, as they are the last to arrive. Its seeming like you need to arrive before 12 to get a bed. A lot of the people I've walked with are getting up 5am and walking 6kmh or prebooking., Far different than 2003.

In los arcos today, reserved a bed yesterday, have seen many pilgrims who are not reserving rooms have been able to find lodging. I know of two people who cancelled a reservation in los arcos and went on to Sansol and got beds.
Heading to viana tomorrow.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There's some answer to OP's question :

https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/n...ino-santiago-vuelve-cifras-llena-6780061.html

El Camino de Santiago recupera el pulso después de la pandemia. Hasta el mes de mayo, han pasado por Navarra 9.932 peregrinos, 2.000 más que el año pasado y una cifra similar a 2019. Encima, la afluencia de caminantes se está concentrando desde el mes de abril, que ha sido un auténtico torrente de visitantes. Un total de 7.785 peregrinos han recorrido Navarra en abril, 2.349 más que el año pasado (5.436) y una cifra superior a las registradas antes de la pandemia (7.312 en 2019 y 6.271 en 2018).

Los albergues no dan abasto ante la masiva afluencia de peregrinos de los últimos meses y colocan el cartel de completo a diario. Por ello, algunos de los caminantes están teniendo que ser trasladados a casas rurales o alojamientos de Pamplona o de otras localidades alejadas del Camino.

Since Easter, numbers have been back at 2019 levels (slightly more in fact), and some pilgrims have been having difficulty finding a bed.

There are some profile stats at the end of the article -- many French pilgrims, apparently.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back