• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is the Frances these days?

Daniel Crowe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
Evening all.
As is usually the way, I think, after you've done a Camino - you don't get too far in life before planning your next one.
In 2018 I did the entire Frances from SJPP out to Finisterre. To this day it's still the greatest experience of my life, even after doing 250km on the Del Norte last October. I didn't finish the Del Norte because I wasn't in the right headspace leaving, to be honest. I mentally struggled through to even doing 250km - but I also said to myself that I needed that type of Camino to help me realise just how special my 2018 trip was. I hoped against hope that the Del Norte would return some of the same magic but it didn't, even though I knew it wouldn't. So I think having that dip was needed so that I could go back up again.
But I am looking at the Frances once more, yet this time I'm wondering just how busy it actually is? I know the last time it really started to kick on in Sarria, as it always does. But is it more consistent throughout now? And with that, have prices started to sky rocket?
I'm just looking for some information now which I can use to start planning my trip again for next year, where presumably there will be an even larger increase in people walking and maybe prices too.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Evening all.
As is usually the way, I think, after you've done a Camino - you don't get too far in life before planning your next one.
In 2018 I did the entire Frances from SJPP out to Finisterre. To this day it's still the greatest experience of my life, even after doing 250km on the Del Norte last October. I didn't finish the Del Norte because I wasn't in the right headspace leaving, to be honest. I mentally struggled through to even doing 250km - but I also said to myself that I needed that type of Camino to help me realise just how special my 2018 trip was. I hoped against hope that the Del Norte would return some of the same magic but it didn't, even though I knew it wouldn't. So I think having that dip was needed so that I could go back up again.
But I am looking at the Frances once more, yet this time I'm wondering just how busy it actually is? I know the last time it really started to kick on in Sarria, as it always does. But is it more consistent throughout now? And with that, have prices started to sky rocket?
I'm just looking for some information now which I can use to start planning my trip again for next, where presumably there will be an even larger increase in people walking and maybe prices too.

Buen Camino!
Why not take a look at the Live from the Camino threads?

My opinion is that the Camino Frances is now so crowded that it is almost impossible to see your feet as you shuffle along the designated path and that the costs are so prohibitive that none but the likes of the Hollywood elite can possibly undertake it.

In other words: Thousands flock there for the peace and solitude / No one goes there anymore because it gets so crowded

Evening all.
I'm just looking for some information now which I can use to start planning my trip again for next year, where presumably there will be an even larger increase in people walking and maybe prices toooo.

Buen Camino!
Felt the same when I did the Portuguese and part of the Norte after doing the Frances. Missed the Camraderie which I regained by doing SJPP to Burgos on CF in 2019. Arrived in Bilbao today and bussing tomorrow to Burgos to rejoin the CF for a week or 2. I’ll let you know how I find it and I’ve never prebooked a bed on any of my trips. I’m a mature Walker of 62!! ☺️

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

My opinion is that the Camino Frances is now so crowded that it is almost impossible to see your feet as you shuffle along the designated path and that the costs are so prohibitive that none but the likes of the Hollywood elite can possibly undertake it.

In other words: Thousands flock there for the peace and solitude / No one goes there anymore because it gets so crowded
Thousands flock there for the peace and solitude / No one goes there anymore because it gets so crowded

that is SOOOO true!!!

Are you hoping for crowds to be with others? If so walk in April and around Easter. September is also a busy time. May and June are pretty busy. July and August are quite warm. School is out and you may meet larger numbers of students and school groups. Also August is a vacation month for many in Spain and the rest of Europe.

Walking in cooler months you will find fewer pilgrims. Many albergues close in mid or late Oct, but there are still good lodging options and on the CF, there will still be pilgrims. There is a winter Camino site active in the winter to help you find lodging.

Enjoy your planning! For many that is one of the best parts!

Are you hoping for crowds to be with others? If so walk in April and around Easter. September is also a busy time. May and June are pretty busy. July and August are quite warm. School is out and you may meet larger numbers of students and school groups. Also August is a vacation month for many in Spain and the rest of Europe.

Walking in cooler months you will find fewer pilgrims. Many albergues close in mid or late Oct, but there are still good lodging options and on the CF, there will still be pilgrims. There is a winter Camino site active in the winter to help you find lodging.

Enjoy your planning! For many that is one of the best parts!
Thanks Wilhaus. I'm definitely hoping for more - I want the camraderie of it. As long as there's still room to venture off on your own and find an empty plot of land to admire 😂 I'll definitely enjoy the planning. Thanks again

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You didn't say what time of year you were thinking of walking.

I can tell you about summer, I've walked large parts of the CF in June, July and August for the past 5 summers (except 2020).

It's always been fine, no problems of overcrowding, no problem finding an albergue bed.

I usually finish early, between 2 and 4pm. I usually (but not always) stay in small places.

I try to be in Sarria mid week. Most people start from there at weekends.

I asked this same question of people walking now on FB a couple of days ago and the replies lead me to believe that this year is no different.

Buen Camino!
Gerald

Thanks Wilhaus. I'm definitely hoping for more - I want the camraderie of it. As long as there's still room to venture off on your own and find an empty plot of land to admire 😂 I'll definitely enjoy the planning. Thanks again
I recently walked from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Burgos segment of CF. You can definitely have a mix of both. I followed the Valcarlos Route out of St, Jean and I loved the solitude it provided. For miles, the only thing I heard was the sound of birds and flowing water. It was utter bliss. Even between Logrono and Burgos there were plenty of spots where there were nothing but only clouds overhead, an open path and green fields around.

Attachments

• D118B4C8-AE1E-4566-BD1C-D56E29ED599D.JPG
    D118B4C8-AE1E-4566-BD1C-D56E29ED599D.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 19
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Evening all.
I'm just looking for some information now which I can use to start planning my trip again for next year, where presumably there will be an even larger increase in people walking and maybe prices too.

Buen Camino
Hi, four of us left St. Jean yesterday and are now in Zubiri. Roncevalles was far from crowded and the hostel where we’re staying today is less than half full. We left St. Jean at 6:20 am and saw one pilgrim ahead of us, none behind. We met maybe 30 altogether en route to Roncevalles. At the moment the Camino is quieter than I’ve ever seen it. I’ve no idea whether this will continue as we make our way to Santiago but it’s peaceful, the weather is fantastic and there are enough pilgrims to create a lovely’ family’ atmosphere.

In 2018 I did the entire Frances from SJPP out to Finisterre. To this day it's still the greatest experience of my life, even after doing 250km on the Del Norte last October.
Your post drew my attention for a few reasons. I think a very large part of any new experience that has a deep and profound impact is because it is NEW and so different than anything we have done in our lifetime beforehand. I am not sure that feeling can ever be recaptured. Maybe in some small measures but the overall impact can only happen once. (My opinion of course). After many caminos I have completely accepted that and have an open heart to see what comes in with my first step.
I found it interesting that you mentioned your Camino Norte that you struggled with and did not complete. In your list of Caminos you have your wonderful CF 2018 but you make no mention of your VDLP in 2020.
I just did that Camino last year and for me it was on the other side of the Camino spectrum from the CF. I can't say I enjoyed or didn't like it. I can only say it had a deep effect on me and I have come to the conclusion that it is a camino not to be "enjoyed" in a traditional sense. It is a camino to be felt. I can probably say I will never think that I did "enjoy or liked" the VDLP. Or that it is an easy or hard Camino. I think the VDLP (and probably the other long Southern Caminos are experiences that transcend more simple descriptors like I would use for the Norte, Le Puy, Frances etc.
I would be very interested in your feelings about the VDLP. Or anyone else who may read this and have walked the VDLP or some of the other really long southern caminos.

Felt the same when I did the Portuguese and part of the Norte after doing the Frances. Missed the Camraderie which I regained by doing SJPP to Burgos on CF in 2019. Arrived in Bilbao today and bussing tomorrow to Burgos to rejoin the CF for a week or 2. I’ll let you know how I find it and I’ve never prebooked a bed on any of my trips. I’m a mature Walker of 62!! ☺️
Hi there,
I’m on the Frances now and loving it and even thinking of another one for next year and was thinking the Norte. So I am 8nterested inwhy people say it is so different with no comaraderie?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Evening all.

Buen Camino!
I’m in the Frances now in Santo Domingo de La Calzada and it’s not that busy. Most people we’ve talked to have pre-booked but the ones that haven’t are finding beds.

Consider Le Chemin de Ste Jacques, from Le Puy to SJPP. Much less crowded. And thru France. Food, ***sigh*** Greetings from Austalia

I am currently on the CF. Started in León and now in Rabanal. It is busy early morning, but that is likely due to the heat. Yesterday and today were 28+. By early afternoon the crowds are down to a trickle. Many people are booking ahead and using bag transportation. No one has had any issues with finding a bed but that will change from Sarria. Prices for food in some places are much higher but it is still possible to get a huge sandwich and fresh orange juice for under €5 en route. Communal meals are usually €12, as are the menu del días. People are as social as ever! Hope your plans work out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Evening all.

Buen Camino!
When my wife and iwalked the Frances in 2017. We'd
Evening all.

Buen Camino!
When my wife and iwalked in 2017 we'd look ahead of us and we'd look behind us aaaaahhhh no pilgrims bliss. . We still do this whilst walking around Sydney.

Where ever you walk buen Camino

I was struck by your description of the disconnect between your first and your second Camino.

I felt some trepidation as I prepared for my second Camino. My first was so life changing, I didn’t see how the second could be anything but a disappointment.

And, to be honest, my second didn’t have the same life-changing impact on me as the first.

But, just as I worried whether I could possibly have room in my heart for a second child because my first created such an unexpected outpouring of love but the reality proved to be just the opposite, my second Camino proved to be another adventure of a lifetime.

What awaits me for Camino #3 remains to be seen. I know it will be an adventure and will enrich my life although I don’t know how or why. Faith. It will be good and it will be different from my first and second.

Btw, we are the extremely proud parents of 4 of the best people who ever walked the earth.

Hope the routes aren’t too crowded! Buen Camino.

I just came back from doing the Frances and at times I felt walking in a shopping mall unless I started to walk at 6AM and by 11 it was crowded, happy for the Hospitaleros not so much for the pilgrims

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After 5:earlier caminos this year I decided to try the Camino Frances. I avoided it up till now because of the expected crowds. I walked to Burgos and than changed over to the Via Sanabres. The crowds were too much for me, most people who initially did not want to reserve beds started doing this for three or more days in advance out of fear of not finding a bed. As far as camraderie I did like the Via Sanabres a lot more. The crowds and the infrastructure related to crowds are, for me anyway, an important factor. Of cause you meet a lot of people and there are a lot of spontaneous contacts. In the evening there are so many albergues, restaurants that the crowds disperse very much. Everyday you see new faces. On the Via Sanabres the crowds were smaller, the albergues were fewer, you could expect to see many familiar faces in the evening. A sense of camraderie developed quite naturally, not perse based on "bonding" but on recognition. I liked that

Evening all.

Buen Camino!

I did the Camino Frances in 2015 and am back now, started in Bayonne mid May... walked to St Jean and have been walking 25 days, just got to Sarria.

It feels like there are a good 10-20% less pilgrims than when I did it in 2015. It's tough to say because some albergues (apparently) removed beds due to covid and have not put them back. Some albergues closed. I have stayed In a couple of amazing new pensions though (opened in last 2 years) and price for new has been great.

I would say prices are up 10-20% for most things (albergues 12 euros typically instead of 10... pensions/casa rurals 35ish euros... hotels all over the map, typically 40 euros and up).

Some food is more expensive but beer and wine still seem basically the same to me. Cities more expensive than smaller towns, some locations cheaper, etc.

I can't help with past Sarria just yet as I just got here. 😁

Evening all.

Buen Camino!
The short of it VERY BUSY!!!!
I am on it right now and the bed race is insane
And I haven't even gotten to Sarria yet 🙃

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am currently on the CF. Started in León and now in Rabanal. It is busy early morning, but that is likely due to the heat. Yesterday and today were 28+. By early afternoon the crowds are down to a trickle. Many people are booking ahead and using bag transportation. No one has had any issues with finding a bed but that will change from Sarria. Prices for food in some places are much higher but it is still possible to get a huge sandwich and fresh orange juice for under €5 en route. Communal meals are usually €12, as are the menu del días. People are as social as ever! Hope your plans work out.
I'm one day behind you
In rabanal now

Evening all.

Buen Camino!
Hi, I am on the CF now. I apologize if others below have answered as I have not read sll of the responses. Some nights in some towns all of the albergues are full. Things seem to be more crowded on the weekends. Three weeks ago Pamplona was booked solid on Saturday night. During the week many of the 2 and 3 star pensions do not seem full. I haven’t gotten to Sarria yet and things don’t seem crowded on the trail.

Hi, four of us left St. Jean yesterday and are now in Zubiri. Roncevalles was far from crowded and the hostel where we’re staying today is less than half full. We left St. Jean at 6:20 am and saw one pilgrim ahead of us, none behind. We met maybe 30 altogether en route to Roncevalles. At the moment the Camino is quieter than I’ve ever seen it. I’ve no idea whether this will continue as we make our way to Santiago but it’s peaceful, the weather is fantastic and there are enough pilgrims to create a lovely’ family’ atmosphere.
This sounds like bliss!

€60,-
Just finished from SJPDP to Leon didn't find it any busier or quieter than previous trips still has the magic of the trail.this is my 18 th Camino and very last done lots different Camino over years but now few weeks away from being 71 yrs young body now telling me enough enjoyed every step of the ways even with bleeding blister's but thank God almighty for his grace allowing me the time to do these wonderful trips will remember them forever and may God bless everyone else on these wonderful pilgrimages.

It is busy for the pilgrims who are still part of the early May wave but as has been noted by pilgrims who recently left SJPdP it is not busy once the wave has passed except for weekends in major towns and when there are special events on.

Yesterday the pilgrim office handed out 2487 Compostelas. If this year is like 2019 - the last pre-Covid year - then about 55% of those will have walked the Camino Frances. So at a rough guess some 1300 of those probably walked their final day on the Camino Frances. To me that sounds as if it is extremely busy - at least in the last 100km.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would expect the early May wave of pilgrims to be collecting their Compostelas about now and for the next couple of weeks. After that, I expect the numbers to drop off.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
To add to my previous post, as I'm now in Santiago, the last 100 kms is definitely busy. There's also a festival in Santiago this coming weekend which doesn't help accomodations.

To add to my previous post, as I'm now in Santiago, the last 100 kms is definitely busy. There's also a festival in Santiago this coming weekend which doesn't help accomodations.
All online booking seems to going fast, but I m wondering about the albergue, and how full those are. I've booked last couple of nights but kinda want to be around more peregrine's. Wondering if I should take my chances. The heat is a bit of an issue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All online booking seems to going fast, but I m wondering about the albergue, and how full those are. I've booked last couple of nights but kinda want to be around more peregrine's. Wondering if I should take my chances. The heat is a bit of an issue.

No worries
When booking. Com fails always call or email couple of albergues. IIRC I only got turned down one time

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here’s an interesting article that confirms what some have said —that there are parts of the Francés with declining numbers. So much so that the government of Castilla y León is putting together a “plan de choque” (crisis plan).

Here’s an interesting article that confirms what some have said —that there are parts of the Francés with declining numbers. So much so that the government of Castilla y León is putting together a “plan de choque” (crisis plan).

An interesting article, thank you for posting it.

I think that part of the problem is that the Camino from Sarria is called the Frances.

This section of the Camino is the part that gets crowded, especially in Holy years and naturally people notice this crowding and talk about it on social media. This sense that the Camino Frances is crowded is then reinforced by the statistics from the Pilgrims Office that show these enormous numbers of Pilgrims.

What many people don't realise, especially new Pilgrims is that the rest of the Frances is not crowded at all. There is a little bit of a bottleneck around Roncesvalles for two weeks in May and September and for the rest of the year it is a breeze to find accommodation.

Despite this we get people making outlandish claims that if you don't reserve then you will have to sleep outside and so people react to these claims and reserve all the reservable accommodation. This then reinforces the idea that accommodation is scarce when in reality there are oodles of nonreservable dormitory beds available.

This trend is self perpetuating because the dormitory type accommodation becomes uneconomical while more hosts are incentivised into offering private rooms.

In addition, for the Meseta, as the article notes, some people recommend skipping it (for me it was a joy) and so we get the situation between Burgos and Leon where their Pilgrim numbers are plummetting.

I am Currently in Pamplona tonight. I Left SJDP 3 days ago. It’s been very busy. Seems like a lot of large organized groups are traveling together. I ve found Less solo pilgrims. The last couple nights people have been shut out and had to taxi away for lodgings. I read this forum prior and found the tip to book ahead for the first few nights to avoid this issue. It is also very busy here in Pamplona. A Local holiday maybe- no rooms to be had. That being said, I have found myself (and made myself) walking alone, yes people are ahead of me a ways or behind but I haven’t felt crowded while walking. I let the groups go by me -funny I can’t seem to avoid this one large group. Now when I am in towns or small hamlets, there is a scramble for whatever resources are needed. So you go from peaceful contemplation to frantic securing your needs. I ve experienced rude people and very friendly people. Not what I expected but hopefully the way will thin out as I continue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back