• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy - this September?

TMcA

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
We are considering a few weeks on the Arles route this September. Older posts suggest that there are fewer hikers on this route than on the Chemin du Puy. We are thinking of starting near Arles and walking about 16 days. Then flying home from Toulouse. We would prefer the company of other hikers at least in the gites at night. Appreciate any comments and suggestions about what we might expect traffic-wise. My French is fairly good and my wife is studying French, so we are hoping for more than just transactional interactions (i.e. buying food, restaurant ordering, etc.) as we walk.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Older posts suggest that there are fewer hikers on this route than on the Chemin du Puy. Appreciate any comments and suggestions about what we might expect traffic-wise. My French is fairly good and my wife is studying French, so we are hoping for more than just transactional interactions (i.e. buying food, restaurant ordering, etc.) as we walk.
"Fewer hikers" is an understatement! The French still walk in September, but the Via Tolosana won't be one of the busy routes. You may find yourselves alone many nights. Other pilgrims will be almost exclusively French, so you will have plenty of opportunity to practice your French skills. If you buy the Miam Miam Dodo guide, you fill find many private accommodations listed. If you take advantage of them, you will have many enjoyable evenings with the hosts speaking only French.

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/2916446443/

Thanks for your very prompt reply, Falcon.

I have the MMDD Arles guide right at my fingertips. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Falcon has it spot on, I walked part of it from Arles last year. Saw other pilgrims every day and had opportunity for long conversations every day (some very surprising!). Best to try and choose accommodation where you will be with others. Have a great time. Ultreïa.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back