• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy will it be in April 2023?

ChrisG1

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Planning on doing the Camino from SJPDP commencing mid April next year. Is there still a risk that hostels will be full so early in the season? Should we still consider making reservations? I heard that in 2022 many people were undertaking the camino.
Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rather difficult to predict although it’s difficult to see the post covid / holy year numbers being maintained.

Easter’s in early April next year which in normal years would see significant numbers especially from Sarria; which may subside by the time you get there.

Book from St Jean to Pamplona certainly; but personally I’d just go with the flow thereafter.

Yes, when I went in mid-April, 2017, I booked first two nights (Orrison and Roncesvalles). Thereafter, a combination of "winging" it and calling ahead to secure a room when Pilgrim traffic (in my mind) warranted. I was going to go in 2022, but figured there would be more folks walking because it was a double holy year. So, I am currently thinking April of 2023. And doing it at the same relaxed pace.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Planning on doing the Camino from SJPDP commencing mid April next year. Is there still a risk that hostels will be full so early in the season? Should we still consider making reservations? I heard that in 2022 many people were undertaking the camino.
Thanks
Hi Chris I walk in 2018 and left on 9th April from St Jean. I never booked ahead for any stage. I had no problem with finding a bed. In general I walk anywhere between 7kn and 38kms a day. I did not walk the recommend stages and found this a great advantage. This year I walked the via de la plata, starting after Easter and it was busy for the first week. However again no problem and this year was an extended holy year. Hope this helps Buen Camino

I heard that in 2022 many people were undertaking the camino
From St. Jean this year less people have started so far than in 2019 and 2019 represented a drop on 2018 figures.

I think comments that you may have heard about this year's numbers might have been from first time walkers who didn't have a background of how the numbers ebb at different locations and times of the year.

Certainly there has been a big jump in numbers from Sarria this year but the opposite from St. Jean.

You will be fine leaving St. Jean in April.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From St. Jean this year less people have started so far than in 2019 and 2019 represented a drop on 2018 figures.

I think comments that you may have heard about this year's numbers might have been from first time walkers who didn't have a background of how the numbers ebb at different locations and times of the year.

Certainly there has been a big jump in numbers from Sarria this year but the opposite from St. Jean.

You will be fine leaving St. Jean in April.
Agree. We walked in May this year from Saint Jean and found that whilst most bookable double rooms had been reserved there were noticeably fewer people on the trail compared to the last time we walked in 2019.

As this thread is regarding the Frances during April and some of you have done this, how much of this route could be achieved in trekking sandals during mid April-May?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
All of it; as many on here will confirm; although it’s far from my preference.
Very much appreciated. I'm one of the last to go from shorts to trousers so don't feel the cold as much as most, and was hoping to maximise backpack space by not taking trekking shoes. April 2023.

As this thread is regarding the Frances during April and some of you have done this, how much of this route could be achieved in trekking sandals during mid April-May?
Well I plan to walk it in April May next year, and I will most certainly be wearing sandals. And with true pilgrim fashion sense, I'll be wearing them with socks.
No fashion police on the Camino.

I was thinking similar. Rather than shoes some decent socks for if the average temps dip down. Its relief to hear sandals are good to go.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is certainly doable although keep in mind that I encountered snow on the Pyrenees in May and Spring can be very wet!

It is certainly doable although keep in mind that I encountered snow on the Pyrenees in May and Spring can be very wet!
Much appreciated. I guessed it can fluctuate. As an example, the average April temperature for SJDP is 16C yet this year was 26C on the 12th April. That said, I may break in some shoes for the first leg just in case and if there's no need donate them.

Consider one pair of waterproof socks in your sandals. I walked Burgos to Astorga this April and saw cold rain and resultant mud. Faster pilgrims who passed me said they had walked through snow. As I approached Astorga April 23 all the hills around were white. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As others have suggested the route is entirely achievable in sandals and, you have the comfort of the thought that the melting snow will help to wash away the mud ;)

Me, I'll continue to wear a well broken-in leather boot with enough grip in the sole to cope with ice, slush, mud, wet rock & dust. I prefer not to worry about where I'm putting my feet. My eye is on-the-prize, not the next two yards in front of me.

My eye is on-the-prize, not the next two yards in front of me.
Which confirms the notion that each persons camino is personal.
For myself each day, hour, minute and step will be my reward.
And that end bit. I'll leave that alone to a surprize.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks
I did the Camino starting from Pamplona in early April 2022. Actually many albergue's were still closed. After Easter there were more albergues open.
There were very few people on the Camino France when I started, and it increased a little bit as I got closer to santiago. It didn’t get really crowded until Sarria.

When I did it in April 2022 it was actually not very wet. Maybe two days where it rained torrentially, but otherwise dry. But I think every year is different.

There was however a snowstorm in the Pyrenees on April 5 and sixth. So the route from SJPP to Pamplona was quite messy. I decided to start from Pamplona, because I started on April 6. It wouldn’t of been appropriate for sandals.

I was shocked, shocked! by how few pilgrims I saw on the Meseta in April this Holy Year. But it was far from lonely. Buen Camino
Yes, @peregrina2000 posted an article in another thread that reports that the regional government is very concerned about the drop in the number of pilgrims on this section.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back