• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Camino via de la Plata is different from Camino Frances.

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
This is one peregrino’s perspective so admittedly biased but I also talked with many other VDLP peregrino's to confirm these points.
--------
1. LONGER: Via de la Plata (VDLP) is 1000 kilometers vs. 790 kilometers on Camino Frances.

2. LESS INFRASTRUCTURE: Fairly often you have to walk 15-30k with no Cafe or tienda(shop) to stop for food and drink. Also there are stretches where you have to walk as far as 30k to get to the next Alberguefor a bed.

3. LESS FLEXIBILITY REQUIRING MORE PLANNING: On Frances you can just wake up and pack your gear and start walking. You are never far from a cafe or albergue. On VDLP because of Point 2. you really need to do some planning before you start each day.

4. MORE INTIMATE: If you find Frances too crowded you will like VDLP as you can walk 30k and see as little as 4-5 people but rarely more than 10-12 in a day. Of course this will depend on the time of year you go and your speed. You usually know most of the people at the Albergue each night. I began 10 May and entered Santiago 22 June.

5. VDLP IS MOSTLY OLD MEN: It is rare to meet people under 40 and very rare to meet anyone under 25. I did befriend a 30 year old French girl who I ran into several times including at the end in Muxia and we were both laughing in tears as she told me she was so tired of the old men walking around the albergue’s in only their underpants. When I realized I was one of those old men I laughed even harder.

6. VDLP IS MORE OF A LONG DISTANCE WALK: This may be a very personal comment but I talked to others who agreed that the VDLP is more of a long distance walk. It did not feel as spiritual as Frances. Between Seville and Salamanca, the first half, it seemed like a walk through Roman history with all the bridges and the theatre and aqueduct of Merida and of course the great archway at Caparra. That said, after you veered west at Granja de Moreruela and especially in Galicia the Camino feel was stronger.

7. VERY FEW FIRST TIME PILGRIMS: The VDLP is long and difficult and not well known so there are very few first time peregrino's. Consequently there is less intimate discussion around your reasons for being here. The talk is more serious centered around your previous Camino experiences.

8. VDLP IS LESS FUN: It’s longer and more grueling with the lack of infrastructure. But there seems to be less fun. I suppose the lack of diversity and high percentage of old men has something to do with that. Although it got better in the second half.

9. HAS A DIFFERENT FEEL WALKING INTO SANTIAGO: While still emotional, I felt more relief than anything else coming into Santiago.

10. COMPLETING VDLP FELT LIKE MORE OF AN ACHIEVEMENT THAN FRANCES: I found walking Frances fun and a great experience and had no physical issues. VDLP was long, difficult, and seemed to never end. Admittedly, I had blister problems on the VDLP and none on Frances.

In conclusion, the VDLP is not for the faint of heart. But I would also tell you if you are a Camino Junkie as our many of the VDLP veterans you will want to add Via de la Plata to your list. Buen Camino!

From the blog of www.thesenioradventurer.com
(Includes pictures)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My take on it:

1. LONGER: Yes

2. LESS INFRASTRUCTURE: Yes

3. LESS FLEXIBILITY REQUIRING MORE PLANNING: Yes

4. MORE INTIMATE: Yes

5. VDLP IS MOSTLY OLD MEN: I saw an equal number of women and men - were they old? Hahaha! Am I old? I did walk with a few college students.

6. VDLP IS MORE OF A LONG DISTANCE WALK: Longer distances. More history, imo. MORE spiritual, imo, since it's not so crowded.

7. VERY FEW FIRST TIME PILGRIMS: About half I met had walked the Camino Frances first. The VDLP was my first Camino attempt.

8. VDLP IS LESS FUN: I thought it was GREAT fun! Sleeping out under the stars, having firemen rescue me, seeing Roman ruins all along the way, being invited into people's homes for fresh gazpacho.

9. HAS A DIFFERENT FEEL WALKING INTO SANTIAGO: It was more relaxing to me. Fewer pilgrims to bump shoulders with. More time for reflection.

10. COMPLETING VDLP FELT LIKE MORE OF AN ACHIEVEMENT THAN FRANCES: I still have the last stretch to complete. Was stopped by the railroad workers filling the albergues, so I think I WILL experience a sense of achievement when I finish. . . perhaps in 2018?

In conclusion, the VDLP is not for the faint of heart. But I would also tell you if you are a Camino Junkie as our many of the VDLP veterans you will want to add Via de la Plata to your list. Buen Camino!
I agree. It's a wonderful walk!

Interesting!
I agree with most of it except the 'old men'. I think we were the oldest on that Camino, most others were under 40...
Also: plenty more cows on the VdlP! :eek: Crossing those huge expanses in Extremadura full of cows with their calves really tried my courage (or lack of it!).
The heat for me was the drawback, calling for endurance! We walked from 5 June (2015) from Mérida and arrived 2 July in Santiago. Usually I feel a certain sadness at arriving, not this time! I was delighted (and same for my husband).
I can't put my finger on it as to why, but to me it didn't really feel like a pilgrimage either... More a long walk as you mention.
I also hated the disruption of the railworks but it may have eased up now.

I am glad I have walked it but would I do it again? I think not... (But hey, never say never ;):D )

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some interesting points, several of which were not my experience. As I've never walked the Francés I can't compare, and I always walk out of season, so not seeing any other pilgrims for days, even weeks, at a time is not unusual. Most of the people I met on the Plata last autumn (I joined it at Capárra) were in their 30s, even a 20 year old Swiss, and nobody else in their 50s (or above). If you don't like being lonely in the albergue, out of season on this might not be a good idea - one year I saw no other pilgrims between Castilblanco de los Arroyos and Fuenterrroble de Salvatierra (14 days), and then none between Fuenterroble and Ourense (another 14 days). [I think that is unlikely to happen to me again this November]

Obviously, everybody's definition of what is spiritual and what is fun (or both at the same time) varies.

The VdlP was my first camino, so I can blame it for my subsequent addiction, but you don't need to micro-plan it that much - put on your rucksack, follow the arrows to the next café, walk on a bit, stop for lunch, then walk to the next albergue - it's always there, and in my experience (except for Puebla de Sanabria, for some reason), it's always open in November or December. If you can't manage the 40km of emptiness from Carcaboso to Aldeanueva del Camino, there is a possibility of getting picked up at the arch of Capárra and driven to (and next day back from) a nearby hostal.

I would say it certainly helps to have at least some Spanish when walking this one, not least if you want to have a chat in a bar with the locals in the evening (I heard no English between Seville and Salamanca), but I later met an Englishman whose knowledge of la lengua de Cervantes consisted of "café con leche por favor" and "vino tinto?", and he had a great time as well.

It is hard to define exactly what it is about the Plata that I like most: the landscape, architecture, historic connections, food and drink obviously, but I think what is almost the most important thing is that a solitary autumn or winter pilgrim is still unusual enough to be cherished by the locals, not just one of an unending stream of 250,000 to be processed - a farmer driving out of his way to re-direct me when I'd taken a wrong turn, somebody standing me a drink in a bar in return for trying out their French on me (for some reason it's always assumed that I'm French or Dutch, never English), dinner with Don Blas, being given some fresh blood sausage at a village matanza, a barman proudly offering me some of that year's olives from his own trees, being the only person in the congregation for vespers in the almost deserted monastery at Oseira, Orlando playing his gaita for me at Cea and so on.

My takke on it ....
--------
1. LONGER: Yup, but noone is is forcing you to walk either route from start to finish.

2. LESS INFRASTRUCTURE: there are stretches where you have to walk as far as 30k to get to the next Albergue. - yup, bit you can stop earlier, call a taxi, go to the albergue, call the same taxi the next day to take you back where you were collected, and start walking there. Or just take a taxi, and not go back in the am ;0)

3. LESS FLEXIBILITY REQUIRING MORE PLANNING: On VDLP because of Point 2. you really need to do some planning before you start each day. - well, it may also in involved less palnnong because there are fewer options. Just carry more food and water. And a silver reflectant umbrella.

4. MORE INTIMATE: -Yup, and noone will scare the birds you are walking by coming along shouting or radio blaring.

5. VDLP IS MOSTLY OLD MEN: Nope. In my cohort there was a 14 year old, a 20 something boy and his dad (extremely good looking dad!), three solo 30-40 women, plus me!, many couples. Old crusty men? Two men in theor 80s, not crusty, a very handome 40ish Spaniard... yes, good proportion of 50-70 men on theor own or walking together, but not a great majority, or super majority (I sound like 45 :eek:) of them, jist a good typical balance.

6. VDLP IS MORE OF A LONG DISTANCE WALK: It did not feel as spiritual as Frances. - Yes and no. As it is much mlre lonely, it can be a lot more spiritual, less "tourist spirituality". You dig in, not jist show up for an evening blessign.

7. VERY FEW FIRST TIME PILGRIMS: Yes, but for some ot was their first: I was surprised.

8. VDLP IS LESS FUN: H%*> no! Bit you'd be hard press to see a drunk after too many vino tintos so many boast about here.

9. HAS A DIFFERENT FEEL WALKING INTO SANTIAGO: didn't walk into Santiago from VDLP, bit ot has always been a downer.

10. COMPLETING VDLP FELT LIKE MORE OF AN ACHIEVEMENT THAN FRANCES: - 1 day on VDLP feels like more of an achievement than a week on the Frances.

A. In conclusion, the VDLP is not for the faint of heart. But I would also tell you if you are a Camino Junkie as our many of the VDLP veterans you will want to add Via de la Plata to your list. Buen Camino! -YUP!!!

B. May I add: lots and lots of history and architecture to be admired, both Roman and Islamic. Different vegetation: the perfume of orange blossoms and corck treas, as well as oak trees. Different animal husbandry: pata negra and bulls for bull fighting. Food: a culture of showing off their local produce, and in general, much better than the Frances.

I think we get it that some members of this forum don't like the Camino francés :rolleyes: Fills me with joy as there will be fewer of us ;):D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think we get it that some members of this forum don't like the Camino francés :rolleyes: Fills me with joy as there will be fewer of us ;):D
If only more read these threads about disliking the Frances, then it might become likable as ot once was. :p

i started this thread and I'm a bit surprised by these past few comments about the thread being about disliking Frances. I love Frances having done it twice the past 2 years. Have done VDLP of course but also Camino Portuguese and The Chemin du Puy. They are all great Camino's but to me Camino Frances is special. A true spiritual journey where magic happens.

i started this thread and I'm a bit surprised by these past few comments about the thread being about disliking Frances. I love Frances having done it twice the past 2 years. Have done VDLP of course but also Camino Portuguese and The Chemin du Puy. They are all great Camino's but to me Camino Frances is special. A true spiritual journey where magic happens.

The Camino francés is special to my heart too :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The way I see it, Kevin was giving more points to the Frances (fewer old men intoghty whities - greyies after Camino hand washing!) than to VDLP. Works for me! VDLP is demanding, and that's the way we like it.

Hola @Kevin considine; A great review that summarises the la Plata. I was one of those who attempted it as my first - only to meet my "end" on those Roman Roads. I have now completed the Frances (once by bike; once (last month) on foot). Not sure if I will ever return to the VDLP, maybe the Porto when I am 70. Cheers

Hola @Kevin considine; ... - only to meet my "end" on those Roman Roads ... maybe the Porto when I am 70. Cheers
If ypu met your end on Roman roads, you may win your heavens on the cobblestones so many complain about, especially in your 70s on the Portuguese. (Shhh... plus, it has nothing, zip, rien, nada, on VDLP). Just go finish VDLP, and I hear turning left on the Sanabres is gorgeous.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walked the vdlp this spring, finishing early May. Agree with some of the points, but for my partner and I it may have been our favorite to date. Met people from their early 20's to their 70's, generally seasoned walkers. Found it to be a stunningly beautiful walk at times, but challenging, and yes, not many amenities. Not for the faint of heart but definitely do-able and very enjoyable. Less people but a more tight-knit group of kindred spirits. What was interesting was that there were very few non-europeans when we walked and quite a few Spaniards compared to the CF (for the entire Camino).

@Corine , were you wearing Altras and spend a night in Arzua in the muni on the top floor of a building on the corner of a busy street?

OP, thank you for post. I have only walked CF, and really wish to walk VDLP. However, my 30+km days may be over. Is it truly difficult to find lodging every 20 kilometers or so? That is about the most I may be equipped to walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OP, thank you for post. I have only walked CF, and really wish to walk VDLP. However, my 30+km days may be over.you Is it truly difficult to find lodging every 20 kilometers or so? That is about the most I may be equipped to walk.
No need to walk 30km +. Push comes to shove, you get a taxi and drive back and forth, but in most cases you don't need to, if you are willing to split, let's say 35 km, into 15 and 20. And what the %*#*, just walk what you can, and call in the taxi. You will sill have worked much harder than anyone walking half the diatance on the Frances.

When you are really thinking avout walking it, get in touch with me, I will give you my doable tips to Caparra.

Kevin, thanks for the posts... I like to talk about the VDLP :D

1. LONGER: Via de la Plata (VDLP) yes but lots of folks walked half... Seville to Salamanca or Salamanca onwads

2. LESS INFRASTRUCTURE: yes

3. LESS FLEXIBILITY REQUIRING MORE PLANNING: yes but... not every stage and once you start it kind of falls into place... but agreed you do need to think ahead and plan.

4. MORE INTIMATE: yes

5. VDLP IS MOSTLY OLD MEN: no, I didnt find this at all

6. VDLP IS MORE OF A LONG DISTANCE WALK: sort of agreed, but I dont know if that's because the CF was my first experience of walking a camino. The VDLP touched my heart in a way that the CF didn't... I've gone back to the CF three times for shorter walks with friends (because it's convenient for me to drive there)... I love it but I ache to go back to the VDLP

7. VERY FEW FIRST TIME PILGRIMS: I agree that there are less first time pilgrims but I didnt find it any more serious... I would say I found folks pretty much the same and made somestrong friendships.

8. VDLP IS LESS FUN: Noooo.... and it was just jaw droppingly beautiful and the history is incredible. It's not quite so 'party party' mood as the Francies can be at times but that's a good thing! and I had some fabulous evenings and met amazing people.

9. HAS A DIFFERENT FEEL WALKING INTO SANTIAGO: I agree but I think that is because the emotion of the first time was totally different. I was emotional still, it was over and I didnt want it to be... I also found Santiago so loud and busy after such a long trip an that was a big shock.

10. COMPLETING VDLP FELT LIKE MORE OF AN ACHIEVEMENT THAN FRANCES: yes... it's a huge acheivement ... oddly enough I had horrible blisters on the CF and not the VDLP

In conclusion, the VDLP is not for the faint of heart. But I would also tell you if you are a Camino Junkie as our many of the VDLP veterans you will want to add Via de la Plata to your list. Buen Camino! 100% agree, it's an amazing walk. I will walk the CF again one day in its entirety but I will walk out of season as the CF is just too busy and noisy for me now... and I will walk the VDLP again one day for sure too. :)

This is one peregrino’s perspective so admittedly biased but I also talked with many other VDLP peregrino's to confirm these points.
--------
1. LONGER: Via de la Plata (VDLP) is 1000 kilometers vs. 790 kilometers on Camino Frances.

2. LESS INFRASTRUCTURE: Fairly often you have to walk 15-30k with no Cafe or tienda(shop) to stop for food and drink. Also there are stretches where you have to walk as far as 30k to get to the next Alberguefor a bed.

3. LESS FLEXIBILITY REQUIRING MORE PLANNING: On Frances you can just wake up and pack your gear and start walking. You are never far from a cafe or albergue. On VDLP because of Point 2. you really need to do some planning before you start each day.

4. MORE INTIMATE: If you find Frances too crowded you will like VDLP as you can walk 30k and see as little as 4-5 people but rarely more than 10-12 in a day. Of course this will depend on the time of year you go and your speed. You usually know most of the people at the Albergue each night. I began 10 May and entered Santiago 22 June.

5. VDLP IS MOSTLY OLD MEN: It is rare to meet people under 40 and very rare to meet anyone under 25. I did befriend a 30 year old French girl who I ran into several times including at the end in Muxia and we were both laughing in tears as she told me she was so tired of the old men walking around the albergue’s in only their underpants. When I realized I was one of those old men I laughed even harder.

6. VDLP IS MORE OF A LONG DISTANCE WALK: This may be a very personal comment but I talked to others who agreed that the VDLP is more of a long distance walk. It did not feel as spiritual as Frances. Between Seville and Salamanca, the first half, it seemed like a walk through Roman history with all the bridges and the theatre and aqueduct of Merida and of course the great archway at Caparra. That said, after you veered west at Granja de Moreruela and especially in Galicia the Camino feel was stronger.

7. VERY FEW FIRST TIME PILGRIMS: The VDLP is long and difficult and not well known so there are very few first time peregrino's. Consequently there is less intimate discussion around your reasons for being here. The talk is more serious centered around your previous Camino experiences.

8. VDLP IS LESS FUN: It’s longer and more grueling with the lack of infrastructure. But there seems to be less fun. I suppose the lack of diversity and high percentage of old men has something to do with that. Although it got better in the second half.

9. HAS A DIFFERENT FEEL WALKING INTO SANTIAGO: While still emotional, I felt more relief than anything else coming into Santiago.

10. COMPLETING VDLP FELT LIKE MORE OF AN ACHIEVEMENT THAN FRANCES: I found walking Frances fun and a great experience and had no physical issues. VDLP was long, difficult, and seemed to never end. Admittedly, I had blister problems on the VDLP and none on Frances.

(Includes pictures)
I totally agree
Kevin, thanks for the posts... I like to talk about the VDLP :D

1. LONGER: Via de la Plata (VDLP) yes but lots of folks walked half... Seville to Salamanca or Salamanca onwads

2. LESS INFRASTRUCTURE: yes

3. LESS FLEXIBILITY REQUIRING MORE PLANNING: yes but... not every stage and once you start it kind of falls into place... but agreed you do need to think ahead and plan.

4. MORE INTIMATE: yes

5. VDLP IS MOSTLY OLD MEN: no, I didnt find this at all

6. VDLP IS MORE OF A LONG DISTANCE WALK: sort of agreed, but I dont know if that's because the CF was my first experience of walking a camino. The VDLP touched my heart in a way that the CF didn't... I've gone back to the CF three times for shorter walks with friends (because it's convenient for me to drive there)... I love it but I ache to go back to the VDLP

7. VERY FEW FIRST TIME PILGRIMS: I agree that there are less first time pilgrims but I didnt find it any more serious... I would say I found folks pretty much the same and made somestrong friendships.

8. VDLP IS LESS FUN: Noooo.... and it was just jaw droppingly beautiful and the history is incredible. It's not quite so 'party party' mood as the Francies can be at times but that's a good thing! and I had some fabulous evenings and met amazing people.

9. HAS A DIFFERENT FEEL WALKING INTO SANTIAGO: I agree but I think that is because the emotion of the first time was totally different. I was emotional still, it was over and I didnt want it to be... I also found Santiago so loud and busy after such a long trip an that was a big shock.

10. COMPLETING VDLP FELT LIKE MORE OF AN ACHIEVEMENT THAN FRANCES: yes... it's a huge acheivement ... oddly enough I had horrible blisters on the CF and not the VDLP

In conclusion, the VDLP is not for the faint of heart. But I would also tell you if you are a Camino Junkie as our many of the VDLP veterans you will want to add Via de la Plata to your list. Buen Camino! 100% agree, it's an amazing walk. I will walk the CF again one day in its entirety but I will walk out of season as the CF is just too busy and noisy for me now... and I will walk the VDLP again one day for sure too. :)

I totally agree with you Les. I walked it in April and was the only woman most nights in the Albergue. Every point you make is correct. Because of Albergue closures we had to walk 40 plus Kms on one occasion. I to am a Camino junkie and enjoyed the VDLP but not as much as Norte and Francais.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
--------

(Includes pictures)
--------

(Includes pictures)

Hi
I agree with most of your comments, although not sure that I agree with the old men one. I am surprised that you didn't mention what I think is a major difference, well in the summer months at least. You know what I am going to say, don't you? Heat. The heat on the VDLP in the summer time can be unforgiving. And especially in the southern part from Seville to Salamanca, where temperatures can soar into high 30's even low 40's. If you were starting in Seville next week, you would, according to the weather forecast, be walking in 43c. Not for the faint hearted! They say avoid July and August. I do it in May and even that can be extremely hot. I've met pilgrims who had to stay in Albergues for several days because it was too hot to walk.
Dave

Last edited:
Hi
I agree with most of your comments, although not sure that I agree with the old men one. I am surprised that you didn't mention what I think is a major difference, well in the summer months at least. You know what I am going to say, don't you? Heat. The heat on the VDLP in the summer time can be unforgiving. And especially in the southern part from Seville to Salamanca, where temperatures can soar into high 30's even low 40's. Not for the faint hearted. They say avoid July and August. I do it in May and even that can be extremely hot. I've met pilgrims who had to stay in Albergues for several days because it was too hot to walk.
Dave

Sadly a German pilgrim died yesterday on the Via de la Plata and local news sources are attributing his death to heat-related problems. Another pilgrim died in the same area last year. It really is a critical issue and underestimating the dangers involved is all too easy.

The atmosphere and the ambiance of the Camino changes depending on the bubble you find yourself in. I also had the 'mostly old men' experience. I was very often the only woman in the albergue many nights. Eventually this became something most people in our little bubble commented upon. Also very few English speakers. My Spanish got much better. I also echo the comments about how beautiful the route is - and how varied. Walking in April ( and a very wet April ) the wild flowers were incredible. I did miss the open-door churches that are more common in France.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
I agree with most of your comments, although not sure that I agree with the old men one. I am surprised that you didn't mention what I think is a major difference, well in the summer months at least. You know what I am going to say, don't you? Heat. The heat on the VDLP in the summer time can be unforgiving. And especially in the southern part from Seville to Salamanca, where temperatures can soar into high 30's even low 40's. If you were starting in Seville next week, you would, according to the weather forecast, be walking in 43c. Not for the faint hearted! They say avoid July and August. I do it in May and even that can be extremely hot. I've met pilgrims who had to stay in Albergues for several days because it was too hot to walk.
Dave
Yes. I agree. I was told that there is almost no one walking in July and August. But you never know. I started 10 May and finished 22 June and it was similar to my August and September Camino's on Frances, Portuguese, and Chemin du Puy Ways. On the hot days you just started early so you could finish by 12 or 13:00 at the latest. In fact the only really hot days were at the end surprisingly in Galicia.

The atmosphere and the ambiance of the Camino changes depending on the bubble you find yourself in. I also had the 'mostly old men' experience. I was very often the only woman in the albergue many nights. Eventually this became something most people in our little bubble commented upon. Also very few English speakers. My Spanish got much better. I also echo the comments about how beautiful the route is - and how varied. Walking in April ( and a very wet April ) the wild flowers were incredible. I did miss the open-door churches that are more common in France.
Yes your experience was similar to mine. In 42 days I met 4 Americans, 5 Canadians, and 1 Aussie so only 10 English as their primary language peregrinos. And last night in Santiago I had dinner with 7 fellow peregrino's. All Dutch. I was sitting in the Municipal
Albergue in Casar de Cacares and a German woman walked in and I asked her what she was doing there as I was startled to see a woman. There were about 20 people already checked in. All guys and only 2 under 50.

Not many people in June/July.... We walked mostly with a Sevillano (whom I've met again totally by chance in...Arzua the following year :cool:) and a Moroccan lady - they were both early thirties. There was also on and off a Dutch lady, a French one and another Spanish guy, a street musician. We lost him in Salamanca as he planned to stay there a few days to earn some money. They were all under 40.
As I said, we were the old ones :eek::D and my husband was the only English speaking one..
There were a few others of course but we didn't keep the same pace so never got to know them...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The VDLP is the first and only Camino I have done (three times). I LOVE it. I have walked two short sections of the Frances and, while I'd like to do it some day because of its history, I already feel I will not like the massive crowds. But everyone has his/her own ideas and feelings, and that's fine! There's a Camino for everyone.

Melanie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The VDLP is the first and only Camino I have done (three times). I LOVE it. I have walked two short sections of the Frances and, while I'd like to do it some day because of its history, I already feel I will not like the massive crowds. But everyone has his/her own ideas and feelings, and that's fine! There's a Camino for everyone.

Melanie
Hi, Melanie,

it says you have walked it 5 times (in your avatar) ;)

I almost feel bad about walking the VdlP in April this year--I am one of the old (75) guys. But there were also pilgrims aged 20 and upwards. About a third female. Spain, Germany, Austria, Canada, England, Ireland, Switzerland and Italy. Some Dutch like me. And some days I saw no pilgrim at all. Very rewarding camino to walk, at least if you have no problems with your own company. And absolutely necessary to plan food and water ahead. But I would never walk this camino during the summer heat.
Ah, and I stayed (on purpose) in hostals etc., so my blue underwear would not shock anybody!

No need to walk 30km +. Push comes to shove, you get a taxi and drive back and forth, but in most cases you don't need to, if you are willing to split, let's say 35 km, into 15 and 20. And what the %*#*, just walk what you can, and call in the taxi. You will sill have worked much harder than anyone walking half the diatance on the Frances.

When you are really thinking avout walking it, get in touch with me, I will give you my doable tips to Caparra.
What do you mean, Anemone? I thought portions of the CF were plenty hard, as were portions of the Norte and Primitivo for me. I assumed the Plata was no worse than all of these...what makes it so? Just curious.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What do you mean, Anemone? I thought portions of the CF were plenty hard, as were portions of the Norte and Primitivo for me. I assumed the Plata was no worse than all of these...what makes it so? Just curious.
What makes it harder? The heat. The fact that you will not find a fountain nor a home with a hose or washroom and kitchen to give you more water, so you have to carry all you need for the day. Because there is not a rock in signt under a tree to rest a bit in the shade, just granite cubes you could cook an egg on. None of that on the France, Norte or Primitivo. Because long sections of the walk are in fields where a cab cannot come to pick you up if you injure yourself, just all-terrain vehicles.

Apples and Oranges.

Yes, it's mostly flat, at least to Carcaboso, but there is the steepest hill ever coming out of the Berrocal. Worse than the Brusco on the Norte, although not as dangerous as there is no precipice behind you.

What makes it harder? The heat. The fact that you will not find a fountain nor a home with a hose or washroom and kitchen to give you more water, so you have to carry all you need for the day. Because there is not a rock in signt under a tree to rest a bit in the shade, just granite cubes you could cook an egg on. None of that on the France, Norte or Primitivo. Because long sections of the walk are in fields where a cab cannot come to pick you up if you injure yourself, just all-terrain vehicles.

Apples and Oranges.

Yes, it's mostly flat, at least to Carcaboso, but there is the steepest hill ever coming out of the Berrocal. Worse than the Brusco on the Norte, although not as dangerous as there is no precipice behind you.
Yikes!! And thank you for clarifying. I guess a path's difficulty level does not always mean only the ups and downs! This walk definately sounds like "a bird of a different feather".o_O

OP, thank you for post. I have only walked CF, and really wish to walk VDLP. However, my 30+km days may be over. Is it truly difficult to find lodging every 20 kilometers or so? That is about the most I may be equipped to walk.

Me too methinks nycwalking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yikes!! And thank you for clarifying. I guess a path's difficulty level does not always mean only the ups and downs! This walk definately sounds like "a bird of a different feather".o_O
It is a beautiful route. Initially I thought it would be all sand, barren, flat. But I loved it. Starting March 30th. No huge climbs, except one, to Carcaboso, the perfume of orange blossoms, castles in the distance and upclose like those in fairytales. A celebration of their outstanding local produce. Did I say peace and quiet?

Noooo.... short legged me worked out a plan until Carcaboso, some 350km in. This was with one section: the embalse, until the muni opens again. Aend me a private message, I will dig up my stages, or look for the. In the VDLP section, circa, Feb-May 2017.

At 39 first camino 40kms now and then no problem. At 52 three years hence, 30 plus kilometers not too bad. But, at present the multiplied joys of chronic illness have changed me. Santiago I am coming. But, at a more tortoise than hare pace.

Last edited:
I totally agree with a lot of the author's points, in particular...

Older men - Despite the fact that I started in the 'busy' period I rarely met anyone under 60 and it was pretty much all guys. This also meant that snoring was guaranteed! Very few of these guys spoke English so I didn't get to speak to anyone much. I appreciate that it's probably a generation thing when it comes to speaking English. Younger Europeans tend to speak very good English (better than many of my fellow Brits lol).

No Fun - (see above and below)

No first timers - I missed meeting pilgrims that are new to the Camino experience, and I missed their enthusiasm, their questions and inquisitiveness. Multiple Camino walkers tended to just be going through the motions. Also added to the 'no fun' sense.

Very quiet, even in April! Stayed in a couple of albergues that were huge in size but virtually empty! Good for sleep though.

For me, I'd had enough by Merida and took a bus to Lisbon, then onwards to Porto and did the Portuguese. Many more pilgrims but again most were multiple Camino pilgrims.

I still prefer the CF. I would only do the VDLP with a partner or friend. Too lonely for solo pilgrims (even for a loner like me!). Maybe this will change in the future.

It has been nearly 10 years since we first walked the vdp, and it is still my favourite.
I'd give anything to have my "old man" walk beside me again on this route, but the next time I do it i will be carrying him.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
--------

(Includes pictures)

Hi,
Thank you for your writing. I am very glad to find your post. As I am planning to do the VDLP in March 2018. After reading your post I cannot wait to start!

Walked the vdlp this spring, finishing early May. Agree with some of the points, but for my partner and I it may have been our favorite to date. Met people from their early 20's to their 70's, generally seasoned walkers. Found it to be a stunningly beautiful walk at times, but challenging, and yes, not many amenities. Not for the faint of heart but definitely do-able and very enjoyable. Less people but a more tight-knit group of kindred spirits. What was interesting was that there were very few non-europeans when we walked and quite a few Spaniards compared to the CF (for the entire Camino).

Thank you for your writing about Via de la Plata. I am planning to walk in March (probably start on March 5 from Sevilla). Were there many people when you walked last spring? Thank you very much.

Started from Seville on 19th April,the week after Easter this year and there were many pilgrims, just the right amount. Probably very quiet in March though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Started on 15th April and there were quite a few pilgrims. In fact, albergues were full in some places. Loved this camino. Good to have not too many people.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back