• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

How can I get a rolling start on the Norte?

Ungawawa

Time of past OR future Camino
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
Hi,

I'm hoping to begin the Camino Norte some time in the next couple of weeks. I'll be flying into Biarritz, and what I'd really like to do is have a day or two's hiking before arriving in Irun, so I hit the Camino with a rolling start, so to speak? I prefer to have a day or two alone at the beginning to unwind, before hitting the crowds of pilgrims.

Can anyone recommend a good starting point and hiking route that would take me into Irun by foot over 2 days or so? That would be a massive help to me.

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you know, are there off-road paths that way, and albergues or gites? There's no route from Biarritz to Irun marked on Gronze, and I wouldn't know where else to lookk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Getting on to the Camino in Biarritz is very simple. From the ocean museum just walk south along the coastal road and you will join the very scenic corniche in Bidart, accessible by local bus as well for one euro. Then follow the arrows to St. Jean de Luz and Hendaye, it’s a day or two depending on your pace to Irun on the border between France and Spain. Plenty of places to stay but it can be expensive and completo during the season with vacationers and surfers. I do it all the time for exercise.

Last edited:
Thank you, that's very helpful!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St Jean de Luz would seem to be an obvious place to break the journey in two. By any chance does anyone know of a good hiker/pilgrim-focussed gites around there, preferably with an evening meal?

Back