• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How cold in albergues

K

karenfromcali

Wondering if anyone on the camino can advise of how cold it is inside the albergues right now. I have heard there is often no heating at night in winter, so this info would help me choose a temperature rating for my sleeping bag.
Thanks in advance :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last night I woke to temp. +8c... Unpleasant most Albergue's cut power and heat at 10, they do not restore heat in the morning, getting up is very uncomfortable. I say this about the Albergue's in the more rural areas... The larger communities provide better service... I'm using a +45F bag plus the available blanket, it's survivable...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Karen:

This is a valid question but has enough variables to make it difficult to answer. I would add to the previous post that time of year, particular Albergue's and individuals comfort levels also factor in the mix.

It will be colder in the mountains than the Meseta. Some Albergue's have more modern heating systems and blankets. Others do not. We all have different comfort levels. Some like it cold others hot. Some like the windows open in any weather, some do not etc.etc.

I understand from your post that you are looking for guidance on the purchase of a sleeping bag. While I can give you my personal opinion of what works for me it might be totally wrong for you.

Sleeping bag weight might also be a factor in your decision.

I recommend you go to an outdoor store, like REI, and speak to an associate. Explain what you are going to do and provide them with factors like time of year, different environments you will be walking in, your personal comfort zone temperature wise and any concerns you have about weight etc.

Hope this helps.
Joe

Where? Meseta? O Cebreiro? Santiago? Fisterra? There is a lot of variability.:)

Walking from SJPdP to Finisterre in early March. So wherever would be most likely to be the coldest. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I woke to temp. +8c... Unpleasant most Albergue's cut power and heat at 10, they do not restore heat in the morning, getting up is very uncomfortable. I say this about the Albergue's in the more rural areas... The larger communities provide better service... I'm using a +45F bag plus the available blanket, it's survivable...

This helps a lot. I had been looking at a 34F so it sounds like that could be about right. I know it will be very cold when I go in March so want to be as prepared as I can.
Thank you. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Karen:

This is a valid question but has enough variables to make it difficult to answer. I would add to the previous post that time of year, particular Albergue's and individuals comfort levels also factor in the mix.

It will be colder in the mountains than the Meseta. Some Albergue's have more modern heating systems and blankets. Others do not. We all have different comfort levels. Some like it cold others hot. Some like the windows open in any weather, some do not etc.etc.

I understand from your post that you are looking for guidance on the purchase of a sleeping bag. While I can give you my personal opinion of what works for me it might be totally wrong for you.

Sleeping bag weight might also be a factor in your decision.

I recommend you go to an outdoor store, like REI, and speak to an associate. Explain what you are going to do and provide them with factors like time of year, different environments you will be walking in, your personal comfort zone temperature wise and any concerns you have about weight etc.

Hope this helps.
Joe

Thanks Joe. Good advice. I will talk to an associate when I next go to REI. :)

Hospitaleros don't like the pipes to freeze, so an albergue temperature below 5C is unlikely. They also hate to turn on the heat, so it will be coldest in the middle of the night.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would recommend a layering system that gives you 12-season comfort for sleeping. Add or subtract line items depending on the season and expected temperatures and sleeping accommodations (i.e. if staying in a hostal or hotel - nothing is needed). Here are the components:
  1. A three-season or summer-weight sleeping bag. I use a Snugpak "Traveller" bag. It is based on their military version "Jungle" bag, albeit in brighter colors. But it is cheap (at least in the UK @ 40 BPS), machine washable, lightweight (< 1 kg), and comes in its own stuff sack. It compresses to the size of a pineapple. You can also get this model with opposing zips that connect two bags to form a single, double bag for two persons - of course, this assumes the bunk is wide enough...;)
  2. A silk or Cool-Max sleeping liner. Used with the lightweight bag it raises the temperature rating by about 10 degrees centigrade. Try to find one with at least a partial zip or Velcro / snap closures to make getting in and out easier. Going to the toilet in the middle of the night is problematic when you have to shimmy out of and into one of these sacks. ;)
  3. Hat - wear a lightweight microfiber stretch (watch) cap, which you likely have anyway for cold weather walking. Walking in the spring or summer? A "Buff" or lightweight microfiber stretch cap will suffice.
  4. Socks - wear the liner socks you were planning to wear under your heavy merino wool outer socks to walk the next day.
  5. Clothing - If you wear the clean outfit you plan on wearing to walk the next day, you will add to the layered sleep "system" But that should only be necessary if you know it will be COLD in the morning when you get out of the sleeping bag and would prefer to be already dressed.
Bear in mind that we lose most of our generated body heat through our head, hands, and feet. So, even if sleeping in a liner sack, covering you head and feet will make you sleep far more comfortable in any except the most hottest weather.

This is EXACTLY the same list you would have year-round, EXCEPT for the sleeping bag. If walking from May to September, most experienced pilgrims will tell you to leave the bag at home and only bring the liner. Most alburgues have blankets should the need arise, and the liner, plus cap, socks and next day clothes (in extremis) should all that is needed during the warmer months.

This uses all the stuff you already have, so no additional weight is incurred.

As always, I hope this helps someone.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.