Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how cold might it get on Primitivo?

nickp

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitive Camino (2019)
Hello pilgrims! I'm starting the Primitivo, my first camino, on 22 May in Oviedo and I am in the final stage of deciding what to pack. the weather along the route looks cool but not super cold, i currently have a thermal sweater and a coldweather rainjacket packed, and i am wondering if the thermal sweater is necessary or if it will be dead weight. Looking forward to your advice!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What other shirts do you have? You need several thin layers that can be worn at once or in combination. Is the "coldweather rainjacket" heavy and lined? If so, it might be overkill on mild days when it rains. Better to have a very light rain jacket with one or 2 thin long sleeve shirts to wear under. Even your pyjama shirts if necessary!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for your posts, the rainjacket is light but warm, and i will have thin athletic shirts and a set of thin thermals for underlayers. I agree Tincatinker, the day temps should be comfortable enough that i dont think i'd wear the sweater and jacket together or at all during the day, only when it rains and in early/late hours. in your experience, does the elevation and wind on the hospitales/after pola de allende lower the temperature greatly?

Hi
I’m on the primitivo now I left from Oviedo Wednesday it was 25 deg and this morning I left La Espina 4 deg and rained hard all the way to Campiello that gives you some idea of the range this week ,so as a previous mentioned layers are the way to go.
Bon Camino

Remember when you are walking it might be chilly or cold when you start you will warm up quickly. As others have said if you have a couple of layers that would be perfect. If you hit a real cold spell which I doubt as it will get warmer you can always buy something. You will go through lots of towns and cites early on especially. Less is more on the camino. Remember the old saying bring only what you KNOW you will use. Never bring what you may use. You can always buy it. Buen Camino and it is going to be great

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It’s warm in late May. I walked in a T-shirt and a short skirt. A light puffy jacket for cooler evenings or if it’s rainy and windy over the Hospitales. A light rain jacket. That’s all I needed. Unless you’re from a super hot climate where you think 70F is cold. Then take more layers :) . I used my rain skirt maybe twice it was so warm it was nice to get wet and cool off.
I didn’t see anyone wearing sweaters or thick layers. Some people say they like to hike hot and sweating so they wear a lot of layers. But you won’t “freeze” on The Primitivo in late May.
If you wear a jacket in the morning before you warm up, you’ll be stopping within 15 minutes to shed everything. It’s easier to just start out a little chilly, walk fast and warm up. Once the sun rises so will the temperature. Don’t try to be completely comfortable during every step.

I appreciate the advice everyone, thanks a lot for your input, see you on the trails!

It has been freezing cold and I wore all my clothes last night. Yesterday I could not feel my hands they were so cold and needed gloves. The first few days were incredibly hot so we have had huge contrasts but very cold up in the mountains.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you guys just added about a kilo of weight to my 2020 packing list. Good to know information.

Hi,

6 to 8 Celsius some of the last days. Cold, sometimes hard winds. I am around very light and it worked with a T-Shirt, fleece Shirt, fleece Jacke and light rain jacket plus thin trousers and Wind trousers plus thin beany. Have plastic gloves 6 grams, that worked well when needed.

Hope that helps
So long
DonCamino

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back