• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How common are hiking shorts on men

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know that in Europe men don't commonly wear shorts. Are they acceptable on the Camino Francais?
Thanks,
Jim
I know that in Europe men don't commonly wear shorts. What an extraordinary notion - where did you get that from?

1653157414344.png

I have noticed that some more conservative priests giving a look of disapproval at shorts on all sexes in their churches but I have walked into at least two very high class Paradors and not an eyebrow has been raised.

You could compromise and wear zip-offs thus providing yourself with an option.

Welcome to the Forum and Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Men do often wear shorts in Europe. Whether they should; on the grounds of taste or decency; is another question altogether. I often wear shorts; but then I am as ‘common’ as muck.

Convertible trousers result in unsatisfactory shorts and unsatisfactory trousers, in my opinion. The slightly bulky zipped-joint is rarely in an optimum position.

I do not wear shorts, or a hat in church. Never have, never will. Disrespectful; in my opinion.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sartorial standards have shifted a bit during the pandemic, but while I saw few shorts in Spanish towns on my first Camino 20 years ago, on the last few, they have become more common.

While I had a pair of long trousers which I wore in the evenings and to churches, one priest told me that when it came to the evening masses, the presence of pilgrims (however clad, he emphasized) was a blessing and brought him much joy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sartorial standards have shifted a bit during the pandemic, but while I saw few shorts in Spanish towns on my first Camino 20 years ago, on the last few, they have become more common.

While I had a pair of long trousers which I wore in the evenings and to churches, one priest told me that when it came to the evening masses, the presence of pilgrims (however clad, he emphasized) was a blessing and brought him much joy.
I do wear long trousers in the evening. One has standards, don't you know, but not caminoing. I'd not thought about Mass... I guess I wouldn't wear a hat in church at all is my only rule.

Pretty much what I wore every day on every Camino I've walked. June-November and a lot of men wear.
A few years ago I walked some snowy days and snow on the ground. I had one pair of long pants and two pairs of shorts. I wanted to keep the long pants clean for the evening so I wore shorts while walking with snow on the ground. I did have knee high compression socks on and my shorts and tech undershorts are almost knee length, so pretty much only a small portion of my legs around the kneecaps was exposed. Still, I got some raised eyebrows like I was loco. :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked in shorts (zip-offs) every day only changing to long trousers in the evening. I only had those two pair so it just k8nd of worked out that way.

I know that in Europe men don't commonly wear shorts. Are they acceptable on the Camino Francais?
Thanks,
Jim
Definitely not true! Only country I know when men rarely wear shorts is Mexico! I’m never noticed till someone pointed it out to me and so true. There may be others!

Thanks,
Jim
I would never walk in anything but shorts! I have never quite understood men who walk in long trousers. It looks so uncomfortable! In fact I virtually live in shorts! Think they can be far smarter than hiking trousers or jeans!

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks,
Jim
4 Camino’s with 2 convertible pants. Good quality and super light weight so the micro zippers are never felt and hardly noticeable. I start with pants during the morning chill; than zip off the legs for the sweltering heat. They zip over my shoes in less than a minute.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. In previous trips to Europe I had noticed few men in shorts, so I'm glad to hear they are fine. I am also hoping it cools down a bit...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Definitely not true! Only country I know when men rarely wear shorts is Mexico! I’m never noticed till someone pointed it out to me and so true. There may be others!
I lived and will move back to the Puerto Vallarta area. Lots of Mexican men, especially younger ones and tourists wear shorts. Men who work outdoors like in construction never wear shorts and wear long pants not only for protection from their jobs but to protect against the brutal summer sun.
In other parts of Mexico and especially in big cities like CDMX and Guadalajara you are without a doubt correct.

I lived and will move back to the Puerto Vallarta area. Lots of Mexican men, especially younger ones and tourists wear shorts. Men who work outdoors like in construction never wear shorts and wear long pants not only for protection from their jobs but to protect against the brutal summer sun.
In other parts of Mexico and especially in big cities like CDMX and Guadalajara you are without a doubt correct.
Thank you! Yes! Guess same in Cancun too but as you say very noticeable in CDMX and GDL!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks,
Jim
I’ve worn nothing but shorts on 3 Caminos. Right now temperatures are in the 20’s and 30’s C and I can’t imagine wearing anything else

Common, but I usually don't because I'm from a sun-deprived area, and truly, I could get sunburned unless I use a lot of sunblock.
I would not wear shorts to Mass.

Not sure where that thought came from, almost everyone I know wears shorts in England (when it's warm of course)

Most of the guys I meant on the CF last year did so too.

So, get your legs out, you might get a walkers tan too

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks,
Jim
I always wear shorts (baggy and not made of cotton), as I usually walk in hot weather. Even when it rains, I've found that it's easier to dry your legs than a pair of trousers. I do carry long trousers (chinos, as they're lighter than jeans), but usually to wear in the evening.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not sure where that thought came from, almost everyone I know wears shorts in England (when it's warm of course)

Most of the guys I meant on the CF last year did so too.

So, get your legs out, you might get a walkers tan too
I live in Hove, on the south coast of England and haven't worn long trousers for at least five years. Only exception was at a funeral. Sometimes when the weather is cooler it gets commented on. I always say I'll stop wearing shorts when the postmen do. Round here they wear shorts even when it has been snowing!

I walked in shorts (zip-offs) every day only changing to long trousers in the evening. I only had those two pair so it just k8nd of worked out that way.
Same. Most of the men in my Camino family were European, and only one of two didn't wear shorts.

Thanks,
Jim
Let me assure you shorts on men are very common in Europe and equally so on the Camino. To walk in long trousers in the heat of a Spanish day would be in my opinion be horrendous.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked my first Camino in 2011, yes pre-The Way, and even then, in the days of sepia Compostelas, iPhone4s and few no apps or forums, men wore shorts on the Camino. In my particular case a pair of excellent Old Navy cargo shorts that I’m still (to my mother’s disgust) wearing for hiking. All that to say, wear what you’re comfortable in. It’s 2022 … anything goes

Last edited:
I was ejected from Milan Cathedral for wearing shorts but it was 1964 and they were a pair of disreputable rugby shorts. Since then I've always warn shorts, proper shorts to just above the knee but not in big churches and never wear a hat in church.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I live in Hove, on the south coast of England and haven't worn long trousers for at least five years. Only exception was at a funeral. Sometimes when the weather is cooler it gets commented on. I always say I'll stop wearing shorts when the postmen do. Round here they wear shorts even when it has been snowing!
Ha ha so true about posties wearing shorts!

My legs hardly ever feel the cold, even at -10 which is weird I guess. I always feel ‘so free’ in shorts! It defo effects my mental state in a positive way!

Depends,
If walking on open trail with no undergrowth and it's warm/hot : shorts. (Remember factor 50+ sunscreen on those milky white calves that never see the sun otherwise!!!)
If there's undergrowth tall grass expected: trousers to ward off ticks
Visiting churches or commemorative sites: trousers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I see plenty of men wearing shorts in this July 2020 video of Paris.
Local men rarely wear shorts in urban areas. If you watch that video closely, you'll see that virtually all the men wearing shorts are tourists.

Since we started spending a lot of time in Portugal, having come from western Canada, we've really noticed this. You look like a "foreigner" or "expat" if you wear shorts, other than at the beach or taking part in some sport like hiking, tennis, bicycling, or whatever.

This applies for women as well. Some shops sell walking shorts; you'll find locals only wear those for golfing or similar, under normal circumstances.

The exception might be when there's a real heatwave. But even then, anyone local over 30 wearing shorts in a non-sports environment is uncommon. (Manual laborers might be an exception, in hot weather.)

But of course, walking the caminos/caminhos is considered a specialized activity, and, as such, wearing shorts would be considered unexceptional.

But of course, walking the caminos/caminhos is considered a specialized activity, and, as such, wearing shorts would be considered unexceptional

The majority of the men of all nationalities that I've seen on the Camino in Portugal are wearing shorts.

Depends,
If walking on open trail with no undergrowth and it's warm/hot : shorts. (Remember factor 50+ sunscreen on those milky white calves that never see the sun otherwise!!!)
If there's undergrowth tall grass expected: trousers to ward off ticks
Visiting churches or commemorative sites: trousers
Mystified by this comment. I have attended Mass in Westminster Cathedral, Brompton Oratory and my local church many, many times and have seen shorts worn by men on most, if not all occasions. Years ago I would be sensitive about that, but now I don't even think about it.

I was considering going out to buy a pair of trousers that fit as it is so long since I wore any. I put a bit of weight on during lockdown. However I have just looked at the Pilgrim's Mass, Santiago de Compostela, 7. June 2017 on YouTube and been reassured by that. Saved me the cost of trousers!

€60,-
Men wear shorts in Scotland come rain, hail or shine 😅 I start in porto on June the 19th and I'm not going to bother bringing walking trousers, only shorts. And if it does rain heavily I'll get wet regardless what I'm wearing. And shorts dry quickly anyway.

And skin dries even faster!
Is that an argument for leaving the shorts behind too? Here in the UK a man famously spent many months in jail for trying to walk the full length of the country naked. I know that Spain is more liberal than Britain these days but there is still the risk of sunburn to consider... :cool:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is that an argument for leaving the shorts behind too? Here in the UK a man famously spent many months in jail for trying to walk the full length of the country naked. I know that Spain is more liberal than Britain these days but there is still the risk of sunburn to consider... :cool:
Think he achieved it too although was arrested on subsequent attempts.

Thanks,
Jim
I always wear shorts on the Camino. I did feel self conscious after I entered a convent chapel in Ponferrada for Sunday Mass and found the pews all full. We had to sit on raised side pews where my knees were on full view to the mainly elderly congregation. I needn't have worried as at the end of Mass it seemed that the entire congregation came over to wish the two peregrinos in their midst "Buen Camino".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks,
Jim
Without disrespect to you or your question I don't understand where the idea that men don't wear shorts in Europe came from . Personally I always wear shorts Nike/ Speedo swim shorts( no not the tight ones) They are lightweight/ quick drying and so comfortable. Most of the male pilgrims I've met on many Caminos wear shorts and it's not an issue whatsoever. Daniel

Recently there was a long discussion on whether men can wear skirts on the camino so yeah…shorts are ok. 😊
Saw a couple of guys wearing leather kilts on the way to Finisterre. No one seemed to pay the least bit of attention.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It was quite a cool day, and I must say I envied their chutzpah! I wouldn't have the nerve to pull that off.:)

I always walked in shorts even when it was very cold (for summer - like 40F) but tended to wear long pants to churches and cathedrals for the most part. But I not only saw many pilgrims in shorts in churches and cathedrals, I saw a lot of other clothing that I would not have worn to church (men and women - and not always pilgrims). As someone said above, there seems to be less judgment of pilgrims. I never felt weird in shorts in normal waking around - a lot of Spaniards wore shorts too.

Saw a couple of guys wearing leather kilts on the way to Finisterre. No one seemed to pay the least bit of attention.
No one paid attention because they couldn't see their whips hidden in their packs.

€149,-
Kiwi men have been comfortable in shorts since the 1970's as this advertisement attests,

For those of you who don't speak Kiwi, puku means stomach.

Last edited:
Have had a few laughs reading this thread. My husband rarely wears “grown-up” trousers. Even have a photo of him in Antarctica in shorts. He will be wearing shorts for our September CF. May add some thermal tights if it gets cooler.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.