• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How did/do you carry your iPad/tablet/valuables???

JJinWI

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French Way
2022 French Way
I have made the decision to do a daily blog while on the Camino. I have read all the pros & cons, but for me it is important.

So I will bring my iPad Pro 10.5 on the trip.

My concern/question is how to carry it when I'm not hiking? Like after I have reached my destination, showered and now want to explore or have something to eat. I can't see myself just carrying an iPad around and I don't want to leave in the hostel.

I thought about the super lightweight bags/backpacks, but they offer no protection (I do have a lightweight case on the iPad).

Plus I have to carry other valuables like my camera, phone...

I got this bag, LINKY which offers a good degree of protection, but weighs 15 oz (`450g)... I was also planning on using this bag for showering since it comfortably fit my valuables PLUS towel & toiletries.

FYI... my current total pack weight including the above bag (with 2 liters of water and 1 pound allowance for food/snacks) is 22 pounds (10kg). This is ~13% of my body weight.

So I was wondering if you had any other/better suggestions.

How did you carry your iPad??

THANKS!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used a Sea to Summit (super)lightweight day pack. I think they make them out of fairies wings, they’re so light, and they take up very little space when not in use.
You’re correct in that they offer little protection, but if you have a lightweight case on your iPad it should be fine (if you’re not negligent).
Even if I didn’t have valuables to protect, I’d still take a lightweight day pack for roaming around town apres walking for my polar fleece or as a shopping bag, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I am walking with my pack, I carry my 8" tablet in a portrait-orientation cushioned pouch in front of me. The tablet pouch is suspended from the rigging of my pack and does not create any pressure points around my neck or chafe my arms. This configuration facilitates instant access to tab for map reading, photos, etc. It is important that the front pouch not be too thick, otherwise it can obstruct vision downwards creating a danger when descending stairs, etc.

When I am walking without pack, I just run the strap of the pouch around my neck and under one arm so that it cannot create a strangulation/garrotting hazard. It is not heavy.

Passport, in another sandwich bag to prevent moisture damage from perspiration, is always kept in a flesh-colored cross-body pouch under my shirt.

Rain protection, only used when it rains = thin disposable plastic sandwich bags that I can buy at any grocery store and replace easily. I keep a few new ones folded up in the pouch. Bonus feature: Can use same supply of them to carry snacks too.

I never leave my tablet or passport or other valuables unattended and they all go into the shower with me inside of a plastic bag.

Hi JJ,

You could do everything from your phone - a speech to text app could be useful here. But I completely understand the decision to use a tablet/ipad for blogging because the convenience far outweighs the extra weight. I actually have a keyboard attached to my tablet as well - it just works better for me that way, the weight doesn't bother me. I also use my tablet for photo editing. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and use an OTG cable to transfer photos from my camera. Easy-peasy. I can put an SD card in the tablet, which gives me extra storage for photos and is a great back-up.

The keyboard attachment provides a hardcover for my tablet. The whole thing is kept in a waterproof stuff sack (3L I think), and then placed in a gymsack that weighs nothing. Whenever I leave my pack anywhere, I just grab the gymsack - the drawstrings make it really easy to hang somewhere. The gymsack itself is pretty water resistant (no idea what brand, it was a freebie from a 5k I ran a while ago).

It's no problem at all to then shove all other valuables (camera, phone, etc.) in the gymsack. I don't actually need the gymsack, I'm just sentimentally attached to it.

I also carry a Sea to Summit ultra-sil day pack. These really are great. They may feel flimsy but they're really very strong, pretty water resistant, and can carry about 5kgs of weight easily.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have made the decision to do a daily blog while on the Camino. I have read all the pros & cons, but for me it is important.

My concern/question is how to carry it when I'm not hiking? Like after I have reached my destination, showered and now want to explore or have something to eat. I can't see myself just carrying an iPad around and I don't want to leave in the hostel.

I thought about the super lightweight bags/backpacks, but they offer no protection (I do have a lightweight case on the iPad).

I got this bag, LINKY which offers a good degree of protection, but weighs 15 oz (`450g)... I was also planning on using this bag for showering since it comfortably fit my valuables PLUS towel & toiletries.

FYI... my current total pack weight including the above bag (with 2 liters of water and 1 pound allowance for food/snacks) is 22 pounds (10kg). This is ~13% of my body weight.

THANKS!!
When I did my Camino I only took a cheap phone for texts and emergency use and a few photos . I wanted to enjoy the experience and not have to worry about loosing my valuables, whatever you choose to take with you I wish you a safe and peaceful Camino.

For some years I have, like @Pilgrim9 , slung a pouch in front but in landscape mode.

My 10" tablet is also my phone and has my maps and guides etc. The wide mouth of the pouch makes it easy to extract and replace the tablet. And I have perfected the art of doing those actions without missing a step.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used a Sea to Summit (super)lightweight day pack. I think they make them out of fairies wings, they’re so light, and they take up very little space when not in use.
You’re correct in that they offer little protection, but if you have a lightweight case on your iPad it should be fine (if you’re not negligent).
Even if I didn’t have valuables to protect, I’d still take a lightweight day pack for roaming around town apres walking for my polar fleece or as a shopping bag, etc.

I cannot agree more! The Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack works great for what you are describing. It has a built-in stuff sack, packs down to the size of a deck of cards and is only 2.4 ounces. It worked great to bring all of our stuff to the showers (shower gear and clean cloths), to bring dirty clothes to the wash area and then back to the bunk once clean and dry. I hang it on a suction cup hook in the shower stall. I then hang my dirty clothes from the shoulder straps so they don't sit on the wet floor of the shower. See attached image. The clean clothes stay inside the bag to prevent over spray from the shower.

In the evenings I used it to carry my tablet, camera, passport, jacket or fleece. It's a bit expensive, but is very durable (3x caminos now) and we use it quite often in our every day life.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    389.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
We struggled with the same issue and ended up just taking our phones. I did not want to worry about keeping is safe, secure and dry. The Pro is even bigger, so not terribly convenient. I made no attemp at blogging or significant text entry, but if I needed that I would still do it with phone and take a small foldable keypad. Having to keep it with you all the time will be the pain in my opinion. I could carry my phone in a simple bag in my shirt zip pocket.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I see your point...

However, I blog everywhere I travel to (http://www.jjshields.com/) and I'm kind of used to carry my bigger camera with me all the time (kind of the same thing as carrying an iPad).

In a perfect world, I would find a bag that would provide reasonable protection, weigh ~8oz and not cost too much. The bag I'm thinking about using offers decent protection and was pretty cheap. The only problem is it weighs 15oz.

I cannot agree more! The Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack works great for what you are describing. It has a built-in stuff sack, packs down to the size of a deck of cards and is only 2.4 ounces. It worked great to bring all of our stuff to the showers (shower gear and clean cloths), to bring dirty clothes to the wash area and then back to the bunk once clean and dry. I hang it on a suction cup hook in the shower stall. I then hang my dirty clothes from the shoulder straps so they don't sit on the wet floor of the shower. See attached image. The clean clothes stay inside the bag to prevent over spray from the shower.

In the evenings I used it to carry my tablet, camera, passport, jacket or fleece. It's a bit expensive, but is very durable (3x caminos now) and we use it quite often in our every day life.

I have a similar bag to yours, but I'm really concerned about the lack of protection. It is just a single layer of thin nylon... no cushioning.

Cheers,

Hi JJ,

You could do everything from your phone - a speech to text app could be useful here. But I completely understand the decision to use a tablet/ipad for blogging because the convenience far outweighs the extra weight. I actually have a keyboard attached to my tablet as well - it just works better for me that way, the weight doesn't bother me. I also use my tablet for photo editing. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and use an OTG cable to transfer photos from my camera. Easy-peasy. I can put an SD card in the tablet, which gives me extra storage for photos and is a great back-up.

The keyboard attachment provides a hardcover for my tablet. The whole thing is kept in a waterproof stuff sack (3L I think), and then placed in a gymsack that weighs nothing. Whenever I leave my pack anywhere, I just grab the gymsack - the drawstrings make it really easy to hang somewhere. The gymsack itself is pretty water resistant (no idea what brand, it was a freebie from a 5k I ran a while ago).

It's no problem at all to then shove all other valuables (camera, phone, etc.) in the gymsack. I don't actually need the gymsack, I'm just sentimentally attached to it.

I also carry a Sea to Summit ultra-sil day pack. These really are great. They may feel flimsy but they're really very strong, pretty water resistant, and can carry about 5kgs of weight easily.

Sounds like you are in the same place I'm at. I have a Tab S2, but ended up getting an iPad Pro 10.5 for the trip. The main reason is the photo editing software is better on the iPad (Affinity Photo is great!)

I'm an Android fanboy :) and really hate the OS on the iPad. It is sooooo locked down, especially on the file system. Some people call Apple's approach a "walled garden"... to me it is more like a prison :)

What app did you use for photo editing on your Tab S3??? How did it work for you???

Thanks for your input!!

Cheers,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I see your point...

However, I blog everywhere I travel to (http://www.jjshields.com/) and I'm kind of used to carry my bigger camera with me all the time (kind of the same thing as carrying an iPad).

In a perfect world, I would find a bag that would provide reasonable protection, weigh ~8oz and not cost too much. The bag I'm thinking about using offers decent protection and was pretty cheap. The only problem is it weighs 15oz.

Hey, it is your Camino, and it sounds like blogging and great photos are important to you, so there it is. You probably would not be satisfied if you did NOT have it. So take it. Key things to think about are moisture, security, breakage. If you are Alburgue heavy vs. hotels or BB you have to think about carrying it with you both on the trail and once you are settled in, including the bathroom and such. I used Sea to Summit bags for everything. Great bags, light weight and totally dry.

Consider bag transport so you dont have to carry everything. Day pack with your tech gear, rain gear, essentials for the day, and meet up with the rest of your stuff at your destination. Bag transport was anywhere from 3-5 Euros a day so really cheap and easily arranged.

Buen Camino!

Sounds like you are in the same place I'm at. I have a Tab S2, but ended up getting an iPad Pro 10.5 for the trip. The main reason is the photo editing software is better on the iPad (Affinity Photo is great!)

I'm an Android fanboy :) and really hate the OS on the iPad. It is sooooo locked down, especially on the file system. Some people call Apple's approach a "walled garden"... to me it is more like a prison :)

What app did you use for photo editing on your Tab S3??? How did it work for you???

Thanks for your input!!

Cheers,

I'm an Android fangirl :) I agree with you about Apple, though I am a mac fan.

I use the free version of Adobe Lightroom mobile for editing, which is pretty good. What I really like about Lightroom though is how easy it is to organize everything, it really helps with file management. To import and edit RAW files you need the premium version and a Creative Cloud subscription, so it gets quite costly. And I'm no professional and very new to this.

Just checked out Affinity Photo. Impressive. I can see why you crossed over to the dark side :D

Yes, do look for a pouch solution.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I see your point...

Love the photos on your blog! My instant reaction was: yes, this man MUST have his toys!

We have another thing in common. I like Sony too :) I love my Sony rx100iii, it's a such a little beast of a camera.

I love my Sony rx100iii, it's a such a little beast of a camera

Yes, the RX100 is a great camera!!!

I have the RX100 (first version) and just bought an RX100 v (latest version) for the trip. The first version still works great, but it was acting weird over the past 6 months. So I upgraded when I got a good deal on a refurbished Rx100V on FleaBay.

The RX100 is a real marvel of technology and can take some really great shots... while being about the size of a deck of playing cards.

ALSO... how do you like your S3?? I really like my S2 and I thinking about my next Android tablet.

Cheers,

Yes, the RX100 is a great camera!!!

I have the RX100 (first version) and just bought an RX100 v (latest version) for the trip. The first version still works great, but it was acting weird over the past 6 months. So I upgraded when I got a good deal on a refurbished Rx100V on FleaBay.

The RX100 is a real marvel of technology and can take some really great shots... while being about the size of a deck of playing cards.

ALSO... how do you like your S3?? I really like my S2 and I thinking about my next Android tablet.

Cheers,

It is a marvel, isn't it? I would have been quite happy with the first version, but I like a viewfinder, and the 3rd generation is the first to include a viewfinder - though it did sacrifice some zoom features in order to incorporate the viewfinder. I read that the v has has a better zoom.

LOVE the S3. It is a machine. The only drawback is that it feels more fragile than the s2, but I have the keyboard as well, which acts as a really nice hardcover.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Love the photos on your blog! My instant reaction was: yes, this man MUST have his toys!

We have another thing in common. I like Sony too :) I love my Sony rx100iii, it's a such a little beast of a camera.

Thanks for the kind words... and YES I'm a tech geek :)

FYI, you might enjoy this post from my Camino blog https://jjscamino.wordpress.com/2018/04/28/tech-stuff/
especially the part how I'm using my smartwatch to help me blog.

"I would have been quite happy with the first version, but I like a viewfinder, and the 3rd generation is the first to include a viewfinder - though it did sacrifice some zoom features in order to incorporate the viewfinder. I read that the v has has a better zoom. "

EXACTLY!!!! I agree. I wish the zoom was a little longer. However, I have used the Sony SmartZoom feature and it works great. The only downside is it only works with jpg files :-(

Good to hear about the S3... Might be my next purchase after the Camino :) My S2 power button is getting flaky.

Cheers,

On my first camino I purchase one of these Eagle Creek sleeves for my ipad mini, and it's still the case I use for it, weighs next to nothing and offers very good protection. Now I just use either my RX1 or X100T and my iphone 6+ for photo editing with Snapseed. Oh and the The Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack that others have mention is indispensable.

71Ol9sYvrdL._SL1500_.jpg

FYI, you might enjoy this post from my Camino blog https://jjscamino.wordpress.com/2018/04/28/tech-stuff/

"I would have been quite happy with the first version, but I like a viewfinder, and the 3rd generation is the first to include a viewfinder - though it did sacrifice some zoom features in order to incorporate the viewfinder. I read that the v has has a better zoom. "

EXACTLY!!!! I agree. I wish the zoom was a little longer. However, I have used the Sony SmartZoom feature and it works great. The only downside is it only works with jpg files :-(

Good to hear about the S3... Might be my next purchase after the Camino :) My S2 power button is getting flaky.

Cheers,

As I have not worn a watch in over 30 years, I had no idea that you could do this with a smartwatch. Very cool.

Was that video on your blog created with 3ds Max?

The rx100iii has digital zoom.

Will definitely be reading your blog while I'm on Camino. I leave around the same time as you, but am doing the Le Puy, del Norte and Primitivo routes, followed by a couple of weeks hiking around Scotland (if my dodgy left leg behaves). Pilgrimage first, then just simple hiking after that.

I wish you a blessed Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a similar bag to yours, but I'm really concerned about the lack of protection. It is just a single layer of thin nylon... no cushioning.

Cheers,

Very true. You certainly have to exercise some caution, but then again, a tablet is kind of expensive, so you're careful anyway, aren't you? I never had an issue

THANKS!!
Hello. I am probably late to the party, but here goes: some showers are in gang (undivided) rooms. (Think junior high school here.) Some showers are in cubicles and have a divided part of the cubicle that will keep whatever is there dry. (Once in a while there will even be a little, tiny bench!) Some shower cubicles are not divided, but they are deep enough that you can use (hopefully provided) hooks to hang your bag o stuff up and it will be fine. And some showers--you knew I was getting somewhere with this parade of showers--some showers have one spout way, way up on the wall that generously spatters all over the entire cubicle, getting your dry clothes wet if they're not in a water resistant bag.
Before taking electronic items into the shower with you, consider this. (Go for a looksee before heading in for the event!) If you're bringing your sleeping bag, you can tuck things down into the toe of it. Or leave them discreetly buried into the pack, not making a big deal of it. If you have a walking buddy, like a spouse or friend that came with you, you can take turns in the shower.
If you tuck stuff into the sleeping bag, you can leave it there during the night and it will hold the fabric up off of your toes--in case such should be wanted. (Been there, done that!)
HTH
Buen camino.

Cheers,
I think you're setting your photo standards too high for blogging. If you're not satisfied with using your cellphone, consider a good quality compact. The RX100 that you mentioned is one, if you need more zoom look at the Panasonic ZS100. A large cellphone iPhone 8 plus, Google Pixel 2 XL, or Galaxy Note should be large enough for photo editing. If you need more power or detail for printing, edit when you get home. Adobe Lightroom mobile on iOS or Android will be plenty good for editing any blog photos and will have the photos ready for serious editing when you get home if need be.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I might look around for pouch solution...

Thanks for your help!!

cheers,
Do you know anyone who can crochet? A friend made a cover for my ipad, which slips in as in an envelope. I found a cheap as dirt orange nylon zipped bag that contains the crocheted cover. I use it when I take the ipad out for any reason. Impossible to weigh the nylon cover!

Just finished a Camino with my iPad. I only kept & the keyboard in a ziploc freezer bag next to the packboard while walking, and took it out to cafes as needed & as wifi was available. No problems. I used the sea to summit daypack on a two month trip to Nepal, India & Taiwan last fall, & also no problems. I think these appliances are stronger than you give them credit.

Was that video on your blog created with 3ds Max?

The rx100iii has digital zoom.

Will definitely be reading your blog while I'm on Camino. I leave around the same time as you, but am doing the Le Puy, del Norte and Primitivo routes, followed by a couple of weeks hiking around Scotland (if my dodgy left leg behaves). Pilgrimage first, then just simple hiking after that.

I wish you a blessed Camino.

The video was made with RobotStudio from ABB Robotics. I was the product manager for the product.

YES.. the RX100 does have digital zoom. However, it also has something called "Clear Image Zoom" which I find works better than "digital zoom. Here is a good video explaining the technology:

"Pilgrimage first, then just simple hiking after that." you must be glutton for punishment :)

Me??? After the Camino, I'm going to Nice, France to join my wife for 10 days of relaxation... and no walking :)

Hope you have a GREAT Camino!!

Cheers,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

THANKS!!
You will be so thankful you kept a blog. Kathy and I could not remember where we were from day to day, much less after we got home. haha It really does go by in a blur, and you simply want to savor every moment. We used Trailjournals and did our updates each day after we had done our 'chores' (set up bed, shower, laundry, afternoon beer :) I used the notes feature on my iphone, and then cut and past to upload into trailjournals. It takes a bit of practice before you leave home, but I will be honest - it worked really well, and then you can leave the ipad at home.

I used an RFID money belt for passport, money, and debit card. I wore it all the time, even sleeping. Here is the backpack I used for my afternoon/evening walks, etc. https://www.rei.com/product/136763/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-travel-day-pack. This could also double as your shower bag.

Buen Camino,
Jane

So funny... you say categorically that you've decided to bring your iPad and you still get half the posts trying to persuade you that you're wrong and you only need a phone!

I for one won't do that, and can recommend you to try an Eastpak messenger bag that you can keep round your shoulder at all times. It kept my own iPad and valuables safe for two caminos already.

I used a 30 liter back pack and took my IPad Air in 2017. When I get to my destination, I leave my clothes in a black garbage bag which is closed in case of tiny undesirables....regardless if I am at an Albergue or a hotel, private room or bunks. However, I always took the IPad with me. I put it back in the backback. To protect the IPad, I have a light smartcover. Then I wrap a light shirt around it for padding and put The Whole thing in a large 2.5 gallon freezer zip bag. Then I do not need a protection bag. I recommend to always put your IPad in plastic in case of bad weather. BTW I rotate the shirts, depending on what I am wearing. Try not to carry anything you do not need and try to find dual uses for much of what you carry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used the notes feature on my iphone, and then cut and past to upload into trailjournals.

I have my Android Smart Watch configured so I can press a button and record my thoughts into my watch (ala Dick Tracy :) ) The software converts it into text and uploads the text into OneNote in the cloud. When it's time to blog, I simply fire-up my iPad, download the OneNote notes from the day, copy/paste/edit into the blog... DONE!

I have tested this process on my training hikes and it works quite well.

"You will be so thankful you kept a blog. Kathy and I could not remember where we were from day to day, much less after we got home. haha It really does go by in a blur, and you simply want to savor every moment. " EXACTLY!!!

Every year I take 18 of my students to Goteborg, Sweden for 2 weeks which is part of an International Business class I teach at Carthage College. I make it mandatory that every student keep a DAILY blog while in Sweden because of what you stated above. Many of the students complain in the beginning, but after the trip, they are sooo thankful I made them do it.

FYI... I also blog about my summer vacations (http://www.jjshields.com/) and it really nice to read them years later. Plus my friends/family love to see my adventures.

Cheers,

Last edited:
The video was made with RobotStudio from ABB Robotics. I was the product manager for the product.

YES.. the RX100 does have digital zoom. However, it also has something called "Clear Image Zoom" which I find works better than "digital zoom. Here is a good video explaining the technology:

"Pilgrimage first, then just simple hiking after that." you must be glutton for punishment :)

Me??? After the Camino, I'm going to Nice, France to join my wife for 10 days of relaxation... and no walking :)

Hope you have a GREAT Camino!!

Cheers,

Thank you so much for that video!

The robot reminds me of Kuka robots.

I've been accused of being a glutton for punishment many times :). But walking is my favourite thing in all the world. Whereas I think my sister is a glutton for punishment for sporting a hair style that requires constant maintenance.

On my first camino I purchase one of these Eagle Creek sleeves for my ipad mini, and it's still the case I use for it, weighs next to nothing and offers very good protection. Now I just use either my RX1 or X100T and my iphone 6+ for photo editing with Snapseed. Oh and the The Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack that others have mention is indispensable.

71Ol9sYvrdL._SL1500_.jpg
Thanks for this recommendation! I will look for it for my iPad pro 9.7

I went last time with my iPad mini and a keyboard that also functioned as a screen protector. I carried it, and my phone into the shower with me in a Sea-to-Summit dry bag that had all my other shower stuff.

I managed to pour an entire caña of beer on the keyboard and iPad over lunch one day (while I was trying to manage some remote work I'd been forced to take with me) -- ws mightily impressed that no damage was done to anything except my pride.

I gave my mum the mini and have a pro for work now.... though this time I'm really hoping to get away with only carrying a phone (for safety and emergency and photo-taking reasons).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pacsafe.com

This company makes everything in travel related bags that has some level of security on it.
The item pictured below is 15L (there is a 5L, 10L and 25L also). I bought it for international travel on a motorcycle where I can carry a little more than just a back pack and the strength of my legs and lungs are not a consideration. It easily holds my macbook pro and lots of camera gear. It has a flexible wire cage between the inside and outside layer of fabric (see pictures below) with a cinch top that a cable runs through so it cannot be cut into with a knife and your items removed. It closes tightly with a unique system and then has left over cable (about 2.5 feet) to wrap it around anything you want your portable safe attached to (a bunk bed frame, water pipe, large chair, anything). The fixture at the end of the cable comes back to the cinched down area at the top of the bag and everything locks up with one padlock. A professional thief will defeat it but a casual thief, without the right tools will give up quickly and move on to an easier target. This might be the answer, it's possible you could still lose your gear with this system but I'm thinking most theft, in the Algergues or Hotels, are opportunistic situations. This bag removes the ease of the opportunity.

I hate the idea of even thinking about property security on this type of trip...a spiritual pilgrimage with 99.9% of my fellow pilgrims 100% trustworthy. However, without this level of security, like you, I either have to carry a lot of stuff with me to the showers or out into the evenings which will detract greatly from my overall experience, hauling it and then keeping an eye on it when I set it down at dinner or at a bar or in market etc.... Carrying all your valuables after checking into your accommodation doesn't relieve you completely of your worries and the distractions that go with it. If traveling alone, like I will be, there is no one to watch my stuff while I shower or use the bathroom, or walk outside for a moment. Peace of mind as a solo traveler can only be achieved by having a "safe" that your valuables are in and that safe is locked to a permanent or semi-permanent fixture. That's about as much as you can do and then if you still get ripped off, well I guess it was meant to be and the camino is sending you (or me) a message that needs to be investigated further.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to bring my "safe" along. If I don't, the only electronics will be a phone and small portable and cheap battery pack. The safe weighs 1.7lbs. I've already paid for mine but if you want to buy one, the 15L is about $100. I am bringing an 8' extension cord that has two 110/240 receptacles plus 3 auto USB charge ports to charge everything. This is the other major use of the safe, to run my extension cord into the safe where I can then plug in all electronics for charging, lock up the bag/safe, and not be worried about someone walking by the charging area and casually lifting one of my electronic items being charged. I don't want the stress and worry about my phone or camera or laptop being lifted while I am relaxing, I don't want to feel like I am on guard duty inspecting everyone who walks by my stuff being charged up. The "safe" will reduce that anxiety by 90%+

The safe comes with a shoulder strap and can be used as a shopping bag when going to the market. It can be used as a carry-on if you are checking your backpack, it can be used as a day bag in a pinch if for some reason you need to send you big back pack ahead by car while hiking. It can be used in addition to your big back pack while hiking if you need to help a fellow pilgrim by carrying some of their stuff that you can fit into the bag etc...It has multiple uses.

There is no perfect solution. Each one has trade-offs that will be objectionable to one degree or another.

1. Carry your expensive gear with you every second of the day with an arm around it while sleeping. Pros: 100% reliable, possessions will not be stolen. Cons: The whole point of the Camino experience may be stolen from you.
2. Bring a “safe” for you valuables that you can leave in the Albergue/Hotel for charging electronics and for safely storing your things when you are not on site. Pros: A. You can forget about your possessions knowing you have done as much as you can (without getting super ridiculous) to insure your gear will be there when you get back to avoid the expense AND hassle of replacing it, if left unlocked and it all gets lifted. B. Multi-use as described above. Cons: A. extra expense $100, B. extra weight 1.7lbs, C. extra volume in pack (can roll it up empty to about 14” long with 3.5” diameter) or can just use it in it’s open configuration, put into the backpack and fill it as a separate chamber inside the large back pack. D. the security can be defeated with the right tools, it’s not fail safe. E. Some accommodations might not have anything that you can easily lock the safe to…same with the electronics charging area. F. Even with the safe, you may still have a tiny nagging feeling when you leave all your stuff unattended, but locked up, because it is out of sight and still vulnerable to a degree. That is just the price of bringing expensive stuff with you that you cannot easily replace (maybe buy an insurance policy for the trip)

I hope this helps. As you can tell, I’ve already wrestled with the concept quite a bit myself. If I have room for it and my pack is not too “overweight”, I’ll take it. Otherwise, I’ll leave all the extra electronics behind for this 1st trip and figure out later (bicycle, taxis, go with friend(s), etc…) how to bring all the gear on my 2nd trip doing the Camino.

note to anyone who uses one of these:
First, get a quality lock. The one that comes with it is easily defeated.
Second, be sure the fixture you are locking the bag to is not easily transportable or easily disassembled (some bed frames) so the locking loop is slipped over the disassembled part and the bag walks away without dragging a bed-frame or chair behind it).

Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 10.01.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-05 at 9.11.11 PM.png

Last edited:
Greeting all,

I REALLY appreciate all the comments and all the great information you have provided me!!!!

I just returned from a local church dinner/auction and sat next to some RANDOM young man (Gregory) who is contemplating joining the priesthood. We talked about my upcoming Camino (which starts in just 2 weeks... YIKES!!!) I told him about my plans to do a daily blog and that I would send a link to all my current/former students (about 1,000) plus my friends, business colleagues, and family.

He said, that if just one person/student who visited my blog would even contemplate doing the Camino (and all that goes with it), it would be worth it. "It might even change a person's trajectory in life."

WOW!!!! I was hit on the forehead with a 2x4 (whatever that is in the metric system:)) !!!!

20180308_160244.jpg.a84edc1e30cdc3b6162bb194222dac86.jpg

He was right!!!!

YES!!! The Camino is about ME, the spiritual journey.......

But, I might even have a much BIGGER purpose if I can share my Camino experiences via my blog and just MAYBE have an impact on another person.

Suddenly, my decision to do a blog has taken on a BIGGER meaning/importance and I am even more committed than ever to share my experiences from the Camino. (Even though it will require me to carry more weight & spend more time to do a daily blog)

Gregory really put things into context for me.

Not to be too overly dramatic... I'm really glad to have sat next to a random guy named Gregory.

Sorry for being soooo philosophical :cool:

Cheers,

-jj

What app did you use for photo editing on your Tab S3???

I respond to the notion of editing:
I did not include any photos in my blog. The reason being my daily blog concerned happenings and my photos were usually of things seen that took my fancy: seldon did the two intersect. A way to keep things simple

I might look around for pouch solution...

My first pouch was from zPacks and would only keep the Samsung TAB S2 itself and not the cover and keyboard. While Samsung TAB S3 plus cover/keyboard has a slimmer profile it is still just a big too much for that pouch.

From 2017 I have used an Eagle Creek product with the attachments scavenged from the zPacks pouch.

I am sure the team at zPacks would make a slightly more generous pouch if asked.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pacsafe.com

This company makes everything in travel related bags that has some level of security on it.
The item pictured below is 15L (there is a 5L, 10L and 25L also). I bought it for international travel on a motorcycle where I can carry a little more than just a back pack and the strength of my legs and lungs are not a consideration. It easily holds my macbook pro and lots of camera gear. It has a flexible wire cage between the inside and outside layer of fabric (see pictures below) with a cinch top that a cable runs through so it cannot be cut into with a knife and your items removed. It closes tightly with a unique system and then has left over cable (about 2.5 feet) to wrap it around anything you want your portable safe attached to (a bunk bed frame, water pipe, large chair, anything). The fixture at the end of the cable comes back to the cinched down area at the top of the bag and everything locks up with one padlock. A professional thief will defeat it but a casual thief, without the right tools will give up quickly and move on to an easier target. This might be the answer, it's possible you could still lose your gear with this system but I'm thinking most theft, in the Algergues or Hotels, are opportunistic situations. This bag removes the ease of the opportunity.

I hate the idea of even thinking about property security on this type of trip...a spiritual pilgrimage with 99.9% of my fellow pilgrims 100% trustworthy. However, without this level of security, like you, I either have to carry a lot of stuff with me to the showers or out into the evenings which will detract greatly from my overall experience, hauling it and then keeping an eye on it when I set it down at dinner or at a bar or in market etc.... Carrying all your valuables after checking into your accommodation doesn't relieve you completely of your worries and the distractions that go with it. If traveling alone, like I will be, there is no one to watch my stuff while I shower or use the bathroom, or walk outside for a moment. Peace of mind as a solo traveler can only be achieved by having a "safe" that your valuables are in and that safe is locked to a permanent or semi-permanent fixture. That's about as much as you can do and then if you still get ripped off, well I guess it was meant to be and the camino is sending you (or me) a message that needs to be investigated further.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to bring my "safe" along. If I don't, the only electronics will be a phone and small portable and cheap battery pack. The safe weighs 1.7lbs. I've already paid for mine but if you want to buy one, the 15L is about $100. I am bringing an 8' extension cord that has two 110/240 receptacles plus 3 auto USB charge ports to charge everything. This is the other major use of the safe, to run my extension cord into the safe where I can then plug in all electronics for charging, lock up the bag/safe, and not be worried about someone walking by the charging area and casually lifting one of my electronic items being charged. I don't want the stress and worry about my phone or camera or laptop being lifted while I am relaxing, I don't want to feel like I am on guard duty inspecting everyone who walks by my stuff being charged up. The "safe" will reduce that anxiety by 90%+

The safe comes with a shoulder strap and can be used as a shopping bag when going to the market. It can be used as a carry-on if you are checking your backpack, it can be used as a day bag in a pinch if for some reason you need to send you big back pack ahead by car while hiking. It can be used in addition to your big back pack while hiking if you need to help a fellow pilgrim by carrying some of their stuff that you can fit into the bag etc...It has multiple uses.

There is no perfect solution. Each one has trade-offs that will be objectionable to one degree or another.

1. Carry your expensive gear with you every second of the day with an arm around it while sleeping. Pros: 100% reliable, possessions will not be stolen. Cons: The whole point of the Camino experience may be stolen from you.
2. Bring a “safe” for you valuables that you can leave in the Albergue/Hotel for charging electronics and for safely storing your things when you are not on site. Pros: A. You can forget about your possessions knowing you have done as much as you can (without getting super ridiculous) to insure your gear will be there when you get back to avoid the expense AND hassle of replacing it, if left unlocked and it all gets lifted. B. Multi-use as described above. Cons: A. extra expense $100, B. extra weight 1.7lbs, C. extra volume in pack (can roll it up empty to about 14” long with 3.5” diameter) or can just use it in it’s open configuration, put into the backpack and fill it as a separate chamber inside the large back pack. D. the security can be defeated with the right tools, it’s not fail safe. E. Some accommodations might not have anything that you can easily lock the safe to…same with the electronics charging area. F. Even with the safe, you may still have a tiny nagging feeling when you leave all your stuff unattended, but locked up, because it is out of sight and still vulnerable to a degree. That is just the price of bringing expensive stuff with you that you cannot easily replace (maybe buy an insurance policy for the trip)

I hope this helps. As you can tell, I’ve already wrestled with the concept quite a bit myself. If I have room for it and my pack is not too “overweight”, I’ll take it. Otherwise, I’ll leave all the extra electronics behind for this 1st trip and figure out later (bicycle, taxis, go with friend(s), etc…) how to bring all the gear on my 2nd trip doing the Camino.

note to anyone who uses one of these:
First, get a quality lock. The one that comes with it is easily defeated.
Second, be sure the fixture you are locking the bag to is not easily transportable or easily disassembled (some bed frames) so the locking loop is slipped over the disassembled part and the bag walks away without dragging a bed-frame or chair behind it).

View attachment 42231View attachment 42232

My box-cutter can defeat your tough locked bag any day :/

Point being, this sort of thing only deters opportunists, not people determined to rob you, which I guess you'd already noted.

In the end I just ended up trusting to God to look after me. I only had one item stolen - my hiking poles - and the Camino immediately provided me with a replacement pair, courtesy of a lovely French woman who said she didn't need hers any more :)

Hello H Richards,
Your box cutter is good for cutting cardboard boxes... not so good for cutting metal wire/cable. I suppose it could be done but I'd have to guess it would take you several days of non-stop sawing with your box cutters and 100+ blades. I don't plan to leave my "safe" unattended for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. Your box cutter can cut through the fabric and you can then stick a finger or two inside the metal cable "cage" but you can't pull a camera through the cable cage webbing. This cable cage webbing is designed specifically to defeat anyone carrying a sharp knife, which is not an uncommon tool that many people carry, thus the opportunistic thief thinking he will do a quick slash and grab will be disappointed. If someone is carrying a specific tool to cut through the cable, then they can get access to the items inside. Protecting against that requires a much heavier, bulkier container that enters the realm of "ridiculous" for me anyway....if I'm not there already with this bag. This "safe" bag stops an opportunistic thief from picking up the bag and carrying it away and it stops a thief with a knife from cutting the bag open to remove the items inside.

Hello H Richards,
Your box cutter is good for cutting cardboard boxes... not so good for cutting metal wire/cable. I suppose it could be done but I'd have to guess it would take you several days of non-stop sawing with your box cutters and 100+ blades. I don't plan to leave my "safe" unattended for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. Your box cutter can cut through the fabric and you can then stick a finger or two inside the metal cable "cage" but you can't pull a camera through the cable cage webbing. This cable cage webbing is designed specifically to defeat anyone carrying a sharp knife, which is not an uncommon tool that many people carry, thus the opportunistic thief thinking he will do a quick slash and grab will be disappointed. If someone is carrying a specific tool to cut through the cable, then they can get access to the items inside. Protecting against that requires a much heavier, bulkier container that enters the realm of "ridiculous" for me anyway....if I'm not there already with this bag. This "safe" bag stops an opportunistic thief from picking up the bag and carrying it away and it stops a thief with a knife from cutting the bag open to remove the items inside.
Ah that sounds like quite a cool thing then!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My iPad overheated yesterday after Pamplona. An emergency warning appeared and it was very hot. I need to now figure out where to store it and how to avoid in future.

You will be so thankful you kept a blog

I cannot agree more! It was a pain - sometimes 60 - 90 minutes per night for me when others were having fun - but in the end I am so glad I did it. I often read my blogs and it reminds me of the day and of other things that happened that day, so I add it. My goal was to have an accounting that I could read back when I'm much older.

I have my Android Smart Watch configured so I can press a button and record my thoughts into my watch (ala Dick Tracy :) ) The software converts it into text and uploads the text into OneNote in the cloud. When it's time to blog, I simply fire-up my iPad, download the OneNote notes from the day, copy/paste/edit into the blog... DONE!

I love this! I might have to give this a try on our next Camino. Like you and Bornean, I use the Sony RX100 3 and a Samsung Tab 2 with bluetooth keyboard. They're a great combination, but need to try the Smart Watch idea.

Does the voice recording stay in memory in the watch until it can connect to the internets?

Can't resist posting a picture of my "blog"...... :) After much thought, and despite many requests, I chose to write a journal for myself, instead of a blog for others. I didn't even post pictures on Facebook. I didn't want to filter my experience through the lens of public postings. I write things down for myself that I would never post in public. When I returned, I put together a program to share my experience with others. I was SO glad I kept a daily record. As others have said, the days can blur together.

I was happy with my choices, and I know you will be happy with your choices as well. Buen Camino!

20180507_130951.jpg

My iPad overheated yesterday after Pamplona. An emergency warning appeared and it was very hot. I need to now figure out where to store it and how to avoid in future.
Do you think that the overheating was due to the effects of the sun, or was it associated with use / recharging? (Or a combination)

Do you think that the overheating was due to the effects of the sun, or was it associated with use / recharging? (Or a combination)

Turn it off when it’s not in use in your pack. If you have a cool water bladder in your pack, pack the ipad near to that (in a water-tight bag). The ipad is good roughly to 130 F or minus 30 F.... but will shut down to protect the battery when it gets outside those ranges. the top pocket of a pack can easily overheat.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

THANKS!!

I made a pouch from marine vinyl to carry my Samsung tablet and documents that I need during the day. I sewed on straps with velcro that allow me to hang it from the front of my backpack or from my belt. The straps can also be configured so it can be carried like a handbag. We put a stiff piece of cardboard in the bag to protect the screen. The pouch is just a bit larger and shaped like the tablet. I made my own for me and husband when we couldn't find anything suitable.

THANKS!!
Pen and notebook??

My Sea to Summit daypack wound up being my pack at times. They are just terrific. I just used my phone for photos and blog.

THANKS!!
Hi, Spain ranks in the TOP 20 of Safe Countries as do most European countries. Unfortunately if you come from an unsafe country (USA ranks 55) you over think security. I have not heard of anyone having their pack ransacked in an albergue or elsewhere. I had valuables tucked into bottom of my closed pack (2016 I had mini laptop, an unfortunate necessary that trip) and then off to the shower. My husband left his phone and his glasses at an outdoor table outside a pizza place in a city and we went back two hours later and they had them at the counter for us. We judge places on experience and I found the Spanish and fellow pilgrims very decent people. i am walking solo in a weeks time so will let you know if this rose tinted image has changed. Buen camino

THANKS!!
Maybe just old fashioned pen and paper plus your phone.

I have an I Pad! I Use a lightweight smart case cover which protects the screen and powers down the battery usage. Then I wrap my Ipad in a piece of clothing I will use at another time, like a light weight shirt, put a rubber band aroundit and then put it in a good sealable plastic bag to protect from moisture and dust.
Nothing extra to carry. I keep rotating clothing and bags as needed,using the old plastic bag for waste materials, etc.

As far as carrying it around, it is the price one pays to have such equipment. We stay in private rooms with door locks and sometimes a safe. If the room has a safe, we use it. If not, I may or may not take the IPAD , often depends on the vib I get when I am there.

Last edited:
During my first caminos my husband and I communicated when necessary by land-line telephone; since 2008 I carried a smartphone which also served as camera+computer on which I wrote my daily blogs. Since we both were then in our 70's whilst apart we texted each other good morning, briefly cited our daily plans, and texted again at day's end. Simple, swift and efficacious this helped keep each of us in the other's loop although physically we were often on different continents.

While walking a phone and European assistance number 112 can provide invaluable emergency help. Luckily I have never personally needed such assistance, but over the years I have called 112 for other pilgrims who needed fast help and either had no phone or were unable to use a phone. ...In retrospect I would never walk without a phone. Carrying one may help save someone else's life. Furthermore I would never carry a computer or iPad; I like to travel light.

Although I am no longer walking at 82 I still use a smartphone as my computer. All my posts are written on the phone.

Last edited:

THANKS!!
Have a look at this company. They have very lightweight and water-resistant cases

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back