• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How did you carry your water?

kdespot

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés SJPP-SdC Sept-Oct 2016
Could my experienced peers please share with this Camino virgin ideas about how you carried your water? I'm preparing for my first walk from SJPP and I've just about figured out most of the logistics, but I can't get a wrap on this one. I prefer to not use a CamelBak. How do you carry your water bottle? Hanging on a carabiner from your pack? In a sleeve attached to your pack with Velcro? My Osprey pack doesn't have an easily accessible pocket for a bottle. Is there something obvious that I'm not thinking of?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Could my experienced peers please share with this Camino virgin ideas about how you carried your water? I'm preparing for my first walk from SJPP and I've just about figured out most of the logistics, but I can't get a wrap on this one. I prefer to not use a CamelBak. How do you carry your water bottle? Hanging on a carabiner from your pack? In a sleeve attached to your pack with Velcro? My Osprey pack doesn't have an easily accessible pocket for a bottle. Is there something obvious that I'm not thinking of?

I really believe that newbie trekkers/pilgrims pay WAY too much attention to how they will pack water. The seasoned trekkers I see, basically purchase a 1.5 to 2 litre bottle of water at a local mercado and use it for their water bottle. It is ideal to be able to have access to it as you walk. No one wants to have to stop to take off their pack in order to get water, or ask your fellow peregrinos every time you need water. For me, I have two side pockets on either side of my pack. I just slide the water bottle into one of the side pockets.

In fact, you will discover on the Camino Frances that there is local city water almost around every corner. (There are a few exceptions like on the Meseta.) So as weight is an important variable to consider, I have been known to intentionally hydrate well BEFORE departing, and then partially fill the water bottle knowing in 5km there will be a fountain waiting for me on the route ahead. You will figure all this out as you learn what it is you need and don't, along the Camino.

We use two 60o ml bottles in each side pocket of our packs, I know you can't do this as you have no side pockets. Never carry all your water in one container, if you loose or puncture it then you have no water.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We use two 60o ml bottles in each side pocket of our packs, I know you can't do this as you have no side pockets. Never carry all your water in one container, if you loose or puncture it then you have no water.

Everyone is different. The saying is people pack their fears. I find having two water bottles (unless it is hot and there is no water around) is a little overkill for a risk on the Camino Frances. If you are oblivious enough to not realize you are leaking water, generally there are other peregrinos or locals around; and/or you should be proactively hydrated anyhow to get yourself to the next watering hole.

Here's a couple of suggestions for you. First is a collapsible water bottle that weighs only a few ounces and can be taken out and filled when you find a water source. I used one this year and found it pretty slick waterbottle.jpg.

Second is these videos:
I’m glad some found the video of interest. I’ll try to answer all questions below.

My...

An overview of what kit I carry in my Camino Backpack.

[MEDIA]

This are from a Pilgrim who did a really interesting modification that kept his water bottle conveniently across his chest. Very resourceful I thought. Last thought is about carrying a bladder. Is there a particular reason you don't want to carry one? I've used them and as long as I only put in what I need each morning they are very convenient and I find myself drinking more because I see the drinking tube and remember to drink more :D

Everyone has their own methods and it just a matter of what you are comfortable with. I went with a folding bottles ( along these lines http://www.trekmates.co.uk/foldable-water-bottle) usually 1 in the pack without water (it was only used on days where we had read that water might be more of an issue) and I carried the other in my trouser pocket. I added some clips so that I could attach it to a belt loop - I did that after I dropped one, full, and it developed a leak. I just unhooked it whenever I needed a drink. I never found that the water got to hot or anything like that.
I also bought a small bottle of water at one time and then kept that, empty, in a side pocket of my pack. If I needed to carry more water, then I decanted from the bottle into my 'foldable'.
As others have said, you can get water regularly, we usually just filled up when having a coffee break.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As with all the concerns around plastics these days, I recommend this metal canteen:
upload_2016-7-20_22-14-9.jpeg
or
26607-8a69ab788761e652f8d75d5adc5f519d.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-20_22-10-18.jpeg
    upload_2016-7-20_22-10-18.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 7
  • upload_2016-7-20_22-13-44.jpeg
    upload_2016-7-20_22-13-44.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 8
I was inspired by forum member magwood if I recall correctly. She carried a Raidlight bottle and carrier on her shoulder strap. While the Raidlight carrier did not work well with shape of my strap, I improvised with another product to carry a Camelbak Chute .75l on my right shoulder strap. It was extremely convenient and easy to reach. One word of advice, you will want to carry something on the other shoulder strap that is close in weight. I carried a camera on my left shoulder strap.

On arrival I buy 2 PET bottles, depending on the way/season either 0.5 or 1l bottles. I carry them in the outside/side pocket of my backpack and re-fill them as needed with tap water. Buen Camino, SY

I do what @SYates does: I buy 2 x 500ml bottles of water, put them in the side pockets of my pack, and fill up with water as I go along. I like taking off my backpack, because I also sit down, on my pack, on the side of the path, and have a 5 minute rest as well as a drink of water. The rest, and the drink of water, are much more helpful for me than sipping water while walking. I see no point at all in drinking a lot of water before setting off, as I would need to stop for a pee within half an hour, and we all know how inconvenient that can be. Jill

My pack is on the light side and doesn't have a frame or a waist belt. So I have two 600ml bottles in "holsters" on my the belt of my shorts. Easy to use and I don't know they are there. Loops over the tops keep them secure from falling out. If I need more I put it in bottles in my pack side pockets, decanting into the waist ones when they are empty.

I know of only one other pilgrim who did as I.
That was the person I copied.
I also purchased two 600ml plastic bottles which I refilled.
I kept them in the cargo pockets on the sides of my convertible (zip-off) trousers.
They were very annoying.
They banged and clunked against the side of my thighs as I walked.
It took at least 15 minutes every day before I became used to them, forgot about them.
Then it became a champion system.
Regards
Gerard

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How did I carry my water? In most cases I didn't, my wife carried it for me.

But then again I was carrying hers. We normally both carried two 500/600ml bottles, recycled Aquarius bottles are very tough and last a long time. Occasionally we'd carry three if it was very hot. Carrying them this way means that it is easy to access them when needed. It's much easier to access a bottle in your partner's pack than in your own. Cooperation is what is called.

I drink a lot of water because I sweat a lot. I used two 1 liter collapseable bottles, filled up every chance I got and almost ran out along the meseta.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I recently bought one of these. I haven't received it yet so I don't know how they work but they look like a great idea and everyone who has bought one really likes them. They are made by a hiker. If you would like information just send me a request. They are attached at the top and the bottom so they don't swing.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 134
My Osprey pack doesn't have an easily accessible pocket for a bottle. Is there something obvious that I'm not thinking of?
Which Osprey are you using? Mine has side pockets where I put my bottle(s) ... Depending on the heat, the distance, I carry from a small bottle (250 ml) to 2 one and a half litre bottles , easily accessible from the sides. I could be completely wrong since I don't know all the Osprey bags but ... have a look.
:)

I use camel back bottle and a Smart tube Bottle stored in the side pocket. Remember to take advantage of the refill fountains so you will not run out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I generally carry 2litres, which is overkill on the Frances. I carry them in plastic bottles inside my pack, wrapped in a fleece. This way they stay cool much longer. OK so I have to take my pack off to have a drink - is this really a problem?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As much as I love my Camelbaks for my local walks and hikes I found filling it and putting it back in my pack a pain on camino #1. On my meseta trip this April I wore a bumbag in front with my camera and a few other things. It has 2 pockets that easily hold .5L water bottles. Found pretty .5L .6euro plastic water bottles that looked like (fake) cut crystal in the supermercado in Burgos so of course I went with those!!!

I carried a 20 oz (almost 600 ml) Brita water bottle that has a built in filter. I know this isn't necessary but I felt better having the filter. I was walking with my daughter (who just reused a disposable water bottle that she bought in St Jean) so we had the convenience of asking each other to fetch our water from our side pouches. We could reach our water ourselves but it was a bit of a stretch (deuter packs). It rained a lot when we walked so we weren't as thirsty as we might have been if the weather had been hotter. The Brita bottle has a loop on it that made it convenient to hold the bottle with just my pointer finger and I ended up carrying my water in my hand so I could sip it at my leisure for awhile before putting it away in the side pouch.

This time around I have bought a platypus bladder that someone here mentioned. I am not a big water drinker and I want to try to drink more so having the bottle and the bladder should help with that.

I just looked at the bladder on line and think I might be missing the clip that helps keep it closed so I better do a trial run. It is a 2 l bladder but my intentions are to only fill it up halfway.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've got a two liter hydration system built into my pack, hose clipped to the shoulder. It's an Osprey, which is much easier to fill/clean than a CamelBak.

I generally carry 2litres, which is overkill on the Frances. I carry them in plastic bottles inside my pack, wrapped in a fleece. This way they stay cool much longer. OK so I have to take my pack off to have a drink - is this really a problem?
No, as others have mentioned it means your body also takes a few minutes of rest.
Buen Camino, SY

If you think deciding how to carry and store 1 to 2 liters is challenging. My next walk after the Primitivo will require carrying 6 to 9 liters. Refilling ever two to three days for twenty one days.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I go for simplicity nowadays; two 750ml bottles more or less full depending on heat etc. I have used a Camelback in the past and really liked taking frequent sips on the move. It kept me well hydrated but filling, cleaning and never quite knowing how much water was left all seemed to add an extra layer of complication.

Could my experienced peers please share with this Camino virgin ideas about how you carried your water?
Typically we take a liter apiece in bottles that are stored in the side pockets of our packs. Peg's bottle is just a light and cheap reusable beverage container and mine is a heavier, nearly indestructable Lexan bottle with a wide mouth. The Lexan bottle wasn't really needed for the camino but it is a habit from backpacking where we want to insure against leakage. On the negative side was the extra weight of the heavier bottle. On the postive side was the extra weight of the heavier bottle. The more weight I carried the closer I walked to Peg's pace.:)

Carrying the bottles in a lower side-pocket didn't present a problem in getting to our own bottles with the pack still on but it was more difficult in getting them back in by ourselves. But we had each other for that job.

I used the Osprey Sirrus pack and found I couldn't reach my water bottles. I bought 2 disposable 600-ml water bottles that fit into a front pack, which also carried my tablet (lighter than carrying the Brierley guide), camera, money, etc. Worked great for me.

Some days I didn't fill the bottles all the way up if I was confident water would be available. But I also found that sometimes the listed fountains wouldn't be working or the only bar in town was closed when I came through. So I mostly kept them pretty full.

Here's the front pack I settled on, after trying several. I needed it to fit my 8" tablet, which this one did, without having a lot of excess bulk. You can also cinch it down.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I have done 4 Caminos and have found the following to be the best system for me. I use a 750 ml Camelback water bottle with a straw feature, most stores have them. I hang it on a crossstrap on one of my packsack shoulder straps with a carabiner. I hold the bottom of the bottle to the packsack strap with an elastic. The water bottle is about the same level as your mouth when you want to drink from it. It can be used when you have a rain cover on your packsack and all other occasions. You can always see how much water you have left. You do not need a container bigger than 750 ml as there are many water fountains along the trail.

I actually like using a camelbak. If not that I use a front waist pack that can hold two water bottles, and has a center pouch for other stuff like snacks. I sip water frequently so I also prefer being able to drink without having to stop, so anything easy access. I suggest trying some of the ideas suggested, so you know your fav and what works before you go.

I totally now want a collapsible water bottle, even though I don't technically need one. Maybe a dedicated bottle for picnic wine?

I haven't done my Camino yet, but I have been using this in training hikes. I like it a lot. You can place a Camelbak Eddy bottle of any size (.5L/.750L/1 L) in your backpack sidepocket(s) and the tube will be available such that you don't have to worry about not being able to reach the bottle without removing the backpack. I guess it is more limiting than the Smarttube, as you have to use the Eddy bottle, but I am fine with that. You can order it from Camelbak directly or some other sites that sell it. It's called the Camelbak Eddy Hands-Free Adapter. Good luck!

1259_blue_l.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used the Smarttube this spring on my second camino and loved it. I just screwed it on a bottle of water I purchased and refilled for a number of days, before replacing with a fresh one. It was easy to carry the bottle in the side pocket of my pack and made it easy for me to drink and stay hydrated. I will definitely take it on my next camino.

I used a 1 liter Vapur flexible water bottle, usually filled 1/2 to 3/4 full and clipped it to the chest strap of my Osprey with the cap caribiner. The strap of my cross body bag kept it from jiggling. I carried a second one, but never needed it. It was easy to fill, easy to clean and easy to drink from.
http://vapur.us/

two 500ml pet bottles one in the cargo pocket of my trousers. Refill as necessary. Had a bladder but the connector cracked and leaked its contents into my bag! Used this system as an emergency workaround on the day in question and never looked back. Used if on following caminos too

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great information from all! Thank you. I prefer to use a bottle over a CamelBak for pretty much the same reasons that others in that camp do. Loved the ingenuity of the various systems. Thanks for the sharing the video, Jozero. The belt clip looks very promising, Angie94. Yes, jsalt, I can imagine that I'll probably like taking off the pack at rest stops, too. Maybe I'll just keep a little bottle handy in front and decant from one in my pack. Domigee, my Osprey is a Kyte 46. It does have side pockets but I can't easily reach them while it's on my back. I love the pack except for the fact that the only accessible pockets are tiny little ones that are just about big enough for nail clippers. Thanks, BrienC and others for the SmarTube tip! That looks very handy! I think I'll try one. This forum is invaluable. ¡Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

€46,-

Greetings from a norwegian who do not cope especially well with the heat...

A lot of different advice here...BUT...keeping one self hydrated is the single point most important thing when walking...

..therefore is a three liter camelback mandatory for me...placed central and closest to my back.... keeping it cool when its hot...and opposite when cold..

..2 liters for normal consumption....1 in reserve..

3 kilos at the beginning of a stint is normally one when arriving....to much kilos?...I care....water quality and beeing able to sip just a little with ease when I'm thinking of water....keeping me sane and healthy..,

This way of organising it is easily scalable if you drink less in total aswell ....

Happy days and Buen Camino!

A camel back, you can then keep constantly hydrated. Mine is a 2 Ltr. Although I normally fill it to 1 1/2 Ltr point. Buen Camino

Ditto the Camelbak tube recommendation. As mentioned above water is heavy but fortunately plentiful along El Camino. Also, staying hydrated is important and I have found that, for me, I drink more when I have the Camelbak tube at my shoulder. My side pockets in the Osprey pack are difficult to reach so a friend showed me his idea of cutting a 1/4 inch hole and a smaller vent hole in the top of a 50cl bottle cap and using that as the reservoir for the Camelbak tube. I put the bottle in my Osprey side pocket. It's lite and you can easily monitor how much water remains so you don't need to carry more than you need. If I had a long stage in front of me I would buy a second 50cl of water and refill my reservoir bottle from that. One more hint: put the water bottle in the right, side pocket of your pack. It will be measurably cooler on that side which is the "shady" side since you are walking almost always westerly. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Picture shows it all, it was a hot day and about 25 km to the nearest next watering opportunity. (Camino Primitivo) Even had a backup bottle in my backpack side pocket. This way water is always accessableDSCN0956a.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
this fit right around the neck of any water bottle and then I just hooked it on the waist belt and carried in front. Easy to get to and left my side pockets open for other things.
That's dandy!

Definitely a camelbak. Having that tube handy means you can just take a mouthful whenever you wish. I walked recently with a man who had bottles in the side pockets of his backpack and I had to keep on reminding him to drink and stay hydrated. This involved him either having to take his pack off to get to his bottles, or more frequently, me having to hand one to him.

Mammut do a add on water carrier which will attach to your waste strap or your carry straps and will hold 750ml easy.You can then remove the bottle without removing your sack

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Yes. My cousin did it this way, and most days she didn't drink enough because she didn't want to stop and take off her pack to get a drink. One day she nearly got heat exhaustion. I carried one small 330ml bottle in the "cell phone pocket" of my shoulder strap, and another 500ml bottle in my hand. People mocked me, but I tell you, I never forgot to drink it or missed a fountain! ;) Plus, ongoing smaller sips (instead of stopping and gulping) meant fewer pee breaks. ;) I think a camelback would work fine too, I just personally don't like them. Something about drinking from a tube... >.<

Last edited:
I totally now want a collapsible water bottle, even though I don't technically need one. Maybe a dedicated bottle for picnic wine?
I totally used my Sawyer water bag for wine!! :D We did it on a night where we were to stay in a fairly isolated albergue, but wanted to celebrate my cousin's birthday. No need to carry a heavy glass bottle. lol. But even so, it *was* heavy to walk with the extra liquid, so you have to "weigh" the pros and cons... ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I carried a one liter plastic bottle in side pocket of my Osprey. Used it the same way on the Frances and again on the Norte. It depends on how much water you require. I have to make myself drink and really never had a problem finding water. My son, on the other hand, is a big guy and he carried two one liter bottles. That's a lot of weight. Buen Camino!!! You will have a ball!!!

What i plan on is using an extra separate water bottle holder that has a shoulder strap. It was actually designed to hold a wine bottle. My Osprey pack isn't accessible either.

I carried a 1.5L Camelback reservoir in the reservoir pouch inside my Dieter pack and ran the hose through the special reinforced hole. This amount was more than I needed per day when walking in June (Ponferrada to SdC), however, there were some warmer days when I needed most of it. I could have filled it below capacity to save weight, or refilled along the way, but didn't as I was not carrying a full pack. The advantage of the reservoir is drinking continuously, and never getting dehydrated since you are sipping as you go. My wife likes her 750mL Camelback bottle, but usually has to ask me to pull it out of her side pouch, or take her pack off to reach it.
I also carried, on colder days, a stainless 500mL insulated bottle with hot water, and had tea on trail, but the extra weight is not needed, and you can stop many places and enjoy a hot beverage.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My training hikes have been done in temps from 85-100 degree Fahrenheit weather. Once I started carrying my pack with an Osprey reservoir system, I experienced what others have shared on this and other blogs...having the water so easily accessible truly makes it easy to keep hydrated. No pulling out water bottles, no carrying them in front of you, just putting that little tube to your mouth and taking a sip! I'm sold!

I prefer a water bladder because I can take a few sips while walking. Getting a bladder in and out of my backpack and its dedicated pouch is easier than I thought at first. The downside is the temptation to avoid a break because you do not need to get a bottle out of a pocket.

On the CF water is almost always nearby. I dislike Camelbaks (actually, cleaning them), and carried water bottles in the hip (web) pockets of my pack. Difficult but not impossible to reach while wearing but I liked giving my feet/socks a break anyway at water breaks. On the CF there won't be a lot of times you won't be able to just take water breaks in a town. That said, you might just carry a bottle, google "hand bottle running" for lots of choices. Here is one (strap the bottle to your hand):
http://www.backcountry.com/amphipod...ekRz9BIkgZgvKZGIgqRTkaAjl18P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought a holster for my 500ml bottle & attached it on a compression strap & on the bottom of my l shoulder strap easily accessable On my Osprey Kestral pack. With 2 direction straps it did not move. The pack came with a 2l bag but I have never used. Hard to change after 23 years in the military.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.