• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How did you get to the Camino (not the travel part)

FoxyR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francais
My partner and I have been planning our Camino for years. We haven't been able to align our responsibilities to our family, work, finances and health to make it happen. We are the primary care providers for an elderly family member, have a child and pets, own a business, ect. I'd love to hear how others were able to move from doing the Camino "someday" to actually stepping out on the trail.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some of us are fortunate in having no home commitments which we cannot escape for a few weeks. I walked my first Camino in the summer holiday period between two college courses. 30+ years later I am now retired, my children have flown the nest, and I have deliberately avoided taking on new pets in recent years as they are a major tie to home.

I own my own business too. My wife cannot walk the Camino to due physical issues (she cannot walk long distances due to back pain). The only way for me to walk a Camino right now is to do one of the shorter ones or do a longer one in stages. I walked the Camino Inglese in 2021 and started the Camino Frances with one of my daughters this year. I plan to walk one week further on the Frances with my other daughter next year. I plan to walk the entire Frances after I retire. In between I hope to meet up with friends from my first Camino to walk together.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would suggest prioritising your needs as a couple. If the Camino is calling it it a sign you have to go. Start the plan today, share your dream with others and I’m sure you will receive the support you need to go .The Camino will provide and certainly experiences from the Camino I have walked bring a different prospective on life once you return. I acknowledge that all individuals opinions are different but wish you luck in your quest… it is life changing

My partner and I have been planning our Camino for years. We haven't been able to align our responsibilities to our family, work, finances and health to make it happen. We are the primary care providers for an elderly family member, have a child and pets, own a business, ect. I'd love to hear how others were able to move from doing the Camino "someday" to actually stepping out on the trail.
There are plenty of challenges there for sure. And I see from the note under your name that you are planning to walk the Camino Frances. If you want to begin in SJPP or Roncesvalles or Pamplona - depending on how far you want to walk each day - plus travel time - I guess you are looking at 5-6 weeks away from home. That may be a big part of the logistical challenge.

If you prefer to walk your first Camino 'in one go' for want of a better description - rather than stages over a number of years - you might consider a shorter camino than the Frances. This would mean all of your arrangements to ensure your family members, business and pets are taken care of would be for a shorter timeframe. This may make your dream more achievable, sooner rather than later?

For example, the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela typically takes people between 12-14 days. The Portuguese Way from Porto to Santiago de Compostela is similar length. There are others but, for a first time Camino, I'd recommend one of these two may be more likely to give you the Camino experience you've been reading about - including excellent infrastructure, opportunity to meet others, and to finish your camino in Santiago de Compostela. Either of these caminos plus travel time would be achievable with 3 weeks away from home.

Also, the starting points for these are relatively straightforward to travel to - so that's time efficient. For example, for the Primitivo, you could fly into Madrid and take a fast train to Oviedo. I'm biased towards the Primitivo as it is a particular favourite of mine. It very much has a Camino feel about it - without large crowds - and the starting town of Oviedo is a gem, as is the other major town it passes through - Lugo. Also if you are not already aware, the Primitivo and the Frances join in Melide about 50 kms before Santiago.

I do hope you can work out a way to walk your first Camino before too long.
Best wishes

Last edited:
I have been fortunate to walk caminos WITH my children - would your child walk with you?
What would you need to do with your business to free up some time to be able to be away from it? Could you start putting plans in place for that now?
Is there someone else who can share in the care of parents? Someone who might enjoy tracking your progress each day as you walk? Would they all be interested in following your journey if you blogged each day or uploaded a few pictures to instagram?
Pets. there's the tricky one! Can you find someone who would like to try-a-pet for six weeks?

You have identified your obstacles. If you want to overcome them, you may need to think creatively about how to do that. Or the answer may be WAIT - it is for me right now as I support a daughter with anorexia. Her recovery is my greatest priority and while I'd love to be walking, it's a sacrifice I willingly make.
I guess you need to work out if you have a preferred time frame, and then see what you need to do to get there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For some, I know it can be quite challenging. For others, it is quite easy. For me - the hard part was getting my husband to agree to "allow" me to do it! To say "it is OK that you want to leave me alone all summer" haha. And of course - the cost was an issue too.

First time - I was able to convince him because I had airline points that needed to be used. He doesn't like losing "money" in any form - so I was able to convince him that the airline tickets were mostly covered and that I can keep my "vacation" on a tight budget if I do the Camino instead of other forms of travelling in Europe.

As for the rest - my children were grown and almost grown when I finally went - so even though I left him home with our youngest daughter - she was a teenager already and quite independent. As for work - I work for a school district and I get a set amount of time off each summer, which just so happens to be enough time to complete a 5 week Camino and have a bit of bonus time to spare as a regular tourist.

Now I have done it twice and am planning the Via Francigena (first half) this summer. I was thinking my husband would fight me on this - especially since this will be my 3rd year in a row doing a summer Pilgrimage - but now he knows how important it is to me and how positive it is for my physical and mental health.

As a caregiver for an elderly family member - is there anyone else who can step in and care for that person temporarily? Are there any support services available in your area for the individual? Ideally it would be nice if you have an extended family member who can step in and stay at your place and care for the elderly person and pets. As for the rest of your family - can you take the kids with you? Definitely adds to the expenses, but it could be a wonderful experience for all of you. Family business - do you have trusted employees who are capable and trustworthy to take care of things while you are away? Can you work remotely (but only if you MUST - better to take a break from work for the Camino).

You clearly have logistical issues that need to be worked out - I hope you can make it happen!

The best advice I received when first contemplating a Camino is that you don't have to do it all at once! My first Camino was from Astorga to Santiago (10 days), so I was gone from husband, pet, responsibilities for 2 weeks, flying in and out of Madrid & bussing to Astorga, flying back to Madrid. Short, sweet & VERY satisfying!

I own my own business too. My wife cannot walk the Camino to due physical issues (she cannot walk long distances due to back pain). The only way for me to walk a Camino right now is to do one of the shorter ones or do a longer one in stages. I walked the Camino Inglese in 2021 and started the Camino Frances with one of my daughters this year. I plan to walk one week further on the Frances with my other daughter next year. I plan to walk the entire Frances after I retire. In between I hope to meet up with friends from my first Camino to walk together.
That's a great plan, and give me some things to think about. There are many Camino's - perhaps it isn't necessary to make it overwhelming. Maybe that's just an excuse. Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, parts of a Camino or shorter camino are a possibility! I will be an hospitalera in Canfranc on the Camino Aragones in May - my understanding is that it's a beautiful Camino in the spring from Somport to Puente la Reina and pretty much all downhill!

I would suggest prioritising your needs as a couple. If the Camino is calling it it a sign you have to go. Start the plan today, share your dream with others and I’m sure you will receive the support you need to go .The Camino will provide and certainly experiences from the Camino I have walked bring a different prospective on life once you return. I acknowledge that all individuals opinions are different but wish you luck in your quest… it is life changing
That's good advice. Putting things out to the universe has worked for us in the past. I had not considered that your "Camino family" would include people who help you get out the door and onto the trail. Thank you.

There are plenty of challenges there for sure. And I see from the note under your name that you are planning to walk the Camino Frances. If you want to begin in SJPP or Roncesvalles or Pamplona - depending on how far you want to walk each day - plus travel time - I guess you are looking at 5-6 weeks away from home. That may be a big part of the logistical challenge.

If you prefer to walk your first Camino 'in one go' for want of a better description - rather than stages over a number of years - you might consider a shorter camino than the Frances. This would mean all of your arrangements to ensure your family members, business and pets are taken care of would be for a shorter timeframe. This may make your dream more achievable, sooner rather than later?

For example, the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela typically takes people between 12-14 days. The Portuguese Way from Porto to Santiago de Compostela is similar length. There are others but, for a first time Camino, I'd recommend one of these two may be more likely to give you the Camino experience you've been reading about - including excellent infrastructure, opportunity to meet others, and to finish your camino in Santiago de Compostela. Either of these caminos plus travel time would be achievable with 3 weeks away from home.

Also, the starting points for these are relatively straightforward to travel to - so that's time efficient. For example, for the Primitivo, you could fly into Madrid and take a fast train to Oviedo. I'm biased towards the Primitivo as it is a particular favourite of mine. It very much has a Camino feel about it - without large crowds - and the starting town of Oviedo is a gem, as is the other major town it passes through - Lugo. Also if you are not already aware, the Primitivo and the Frances join in Melide about 50 kms before Santiago.

I do hope you can work out a way to walk your first Camino before too long.
Best wishes
Thank you very much. You made good points and have given me some things to consider.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been fortunate to walk caminos WITH my children - would your child walk with you?
What would you need to do with your business to free up some time to be able to be away from it? Could you start putting plans in place for that now?
Is there someone else who can share in the care of parents? Someone who might enjoy tracking your progress each day as you walk? Would they all be interested in following your journey if you blogged each day or uploaded a few pictures to instagram?
Pets. there's the tricky one! Can you find someone who would like to try-a-pet for six weeks?

You have identified your obstacles. If you want to overcome them, you may need to think creatively about how to do that. Or the answer may be WAIT - it is for me right now as I support a daughter with anorexia. Her recovery is my greatest priority and while I'd love to be walking, it's a sacrifice I willingly make.
I guess you need to work out if you have a preferred time frame, and then see what you need to do to get there.
I've read many of your comments and suggestions on this board. You've given me a lot of information and a lot to think about - thank you. I think you've just given me some great advice. Breaking the challenges down into manageable pieces instead of this overwhelming mass will be a good start.

I wanted to walk Camino for over 20 years. It had been soft-scheduled a couple of times and fell through due to finances. I NEEDED to go. 2020 was going to be the year, and of course Covid lol. I walked last year instead. My partner understood this and rearranged his schedule to come home at lunch to walk the dog, we don't have children so that was the extent of having to look after things while I was gone.

I think a first Camino is best done alone. It challenges you to make friends and build a support system instead of staying in your familiar bubble. I saw a lot of couples and groups that did not interact with anyone other than themselves and I think that diminishes the experience.

As others have said, take turns. You both have strong obligations at home and need to look after those responsibilities. Walking alone will give you both the opportunity to experience Camino and give you peace of mind knowing that things are being looked after at home. In an ideal world we'd have less things that require our attentions.

Waiting until you both can go is always an option. Camino has been there for centuries and will be there when you can go. Our only impediment is time. But, time is our friend.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife and I spoke about it many times but always found other things to do. Then she developed Alzheimers and 5 years later passed away in 2020. I did the Camino this year and it was a wondeful, healing experience, with many memories. I urge you do it now, make the memories together now as you never know what the next day brings.

@FoxyR, greetings

Great suggestions from @Adelina and @Kiwi-family.

On my few travels. I've encountered walkers from Europe each year doing one week out of their annual leave. And coming back the next year to restart. For them that is easy: drive or train to the (new) start point.

Your logistics might be a little simpler than mine (48 hours from home to restart at Estella October 2017 - 3 planes and two buses) but would still involve a number of leaps each way.

I suspect you would not get much hill training near the delta. That might indicate a simpler set of stages for you. If this is so, I suggest the Frances and:
1) Pamplona to Logrono - < 100 km - 5 easy days
2) Logrono to Burgos - < 130 km - 5 or 6 days
3) Burgos to Sahagun - < 120 km - 5 or 6 days
4) Sahagun to Astorga - < 110 km - 5 days
5) Ponferrada to Sarria - < 90 km - 4 days
6) Sarria to Compostela - < 110 km - 5 days

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, confident and patient)

My wife and I were stuck on the 'intent' stage for years, as we faced a similar conundrum of being 'unable to get away for so many weeks at the time'... until one day, we said 'it is OUR Camino and we do NOT need to walk it all at once'. Next day, I bought us plane tickets to be in Spain for two weeks, planning to get to SJPDP and walk as far as we could (original plan was Burgos). For whatever reasons, we just got to Logroño when we had to get back. Next segment, we were going to start at Burgos, but since we liked Logroño (Calle Laurel!) so much, we said, again, it is OUR Camino and we can do as we please, so to Logroño we went. We walked to Sahagun, staying a couple of days in Burgos. And then, we did Sarria to SDC. Three trips, walked about 500 km. Loved it. And planning a Porto-SDC for 2023.

So, it is YOUR Camino and you can do it as you please. Whatever makes you comfortable, and whatever you can make happen. You will love it.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd love to hear how others were able to move from doing the Camino "someday" to actually stepping out on the trail.
Sheer luck of life circumstances.

I make below-average income. But I live in a run-down townhouse that I share with other people, I don't have a car, a mortgage, student loans, or kids; and all my health issues are relatively inexpensive to manage. My partner doesn't enjoy walking long distances but they're fine with me going alone.

I work in a retirement community, and several residents have done the Camino, in the 00's and 10's. One of the biggest things I've learned from working there, is that life is really unpredictable--don't put off traveling if you can make it happen now. There's rarely a perfect time for it, so make do with the time you have.

My wife and I spoke about it many times but always found other things to do. Then she developed Alzheimers and 5 years later passed away in 2020. I did the Camino this year and it was a wondeful, healing experience, with many memories. I urge you do it now, make the memories together now as you never know what the next day brings.
Thanks for those words of wisdom. (A man named Rob Perry was my God Father by the way).

For our first Camino walk in 2014, my wife and I were in our mid-fifties at the time. We had one adult son at home who was in in his 20's at that time, so no problem to leave.

Still we were both working and it simply wasn't possible to take more than a full month off as we were both in senior executive roles in our respective careers.

Not knowing exactly what we were getting into, or not realizing at that time we would be back again, we elected to walk from Ponferrada to Santiago, about 210 kilometers. We knew we wished to get to Santiago in year one and we fully expected this trip would be of the 'one and done' variety and then on to the next.

2015 saw walk from Burgos to Ponferrada. In 2016 we walked SJPP to Burgos and then bussed to Sarria and did the final 100 kilometers again. We would like to walk the entire Camino Francis in one shot, but will focus on a few other routes first. We have done the Portuguese's route and the Primitivo route.

As it turned out we have been back on five subsequent Camino's and we hope to do the full Del Norte route in the fall of 2023 now that we are both retired and most of the Covid nonsense is pretty much over with now.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The best advice I received when first contemplating a Camino is that you don't have to do it all at once! My first Camino was from Astorga to Santiago (10 days), so I was gone from husband, pet, responsibilities for 2 weeks, flying in and out of Madrid & bussing to Astorga, flying back to Madrid. Short, sweet & VERY satisfying!
Adelina, this was our last Camino route in early April 2019. My wife and I had covered all this ground on previous Camino's, but we were walking with first time Camino 'newbie' friends who only had limited time. We stopped in different stops, we didn't want to duplicate our previous experience.

It was still a fun experience for my wife and I to see our friends fall in love with the Camino on their first walk.
We plan to walk with this same couple on the Del Norte route in the fall of 2023.
IMG_1727.JPG

Hi! Lots of great answers above, we had the similar issue, the only difference was we don’t own a business. But I was the caretaker of my elderly mother even though she was in an ALF, I took care of all her issues on a weekly basis, we had 2 cats, and only 42 days to do Camino financially wise. My sister and niece took care of my mom, and my aunt moved in with us to take care of the cats. Even with all the planing we had to skip 5 stages, due to time. Consider this your trial attemp! Do Saria to Santiago Dr Compostela, you still can get your Compostela, and won’t take as long! Later you can go for seconds, believe you me, you will be hooked! Hope this helps! BUEN CAMINO!

Several life events and experiences over many years combined to find me in St Jean Pied de Port in mid September ’22.

Retirement; death of an adult child; ADHD diagnosis at 68; the need to think about the past and improve the future; and the desire to be a better family member.

Individually they may not have inspired me sufficiently to walk a Camino but taken together it seemed like a good thing to do.

And it was, in so many ways.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had wanted to walk the Camino for about 12 years before I did.
What eventually motivated me was my mothers illness. My mother died in 2014, and it made me realise that life is short and I needed to do things whilst I still could. My father spent so many years taking care of my mother that by the time she died, his dreams weren't possible either.
I was determined not to let that happen to me.
So I just made plans, the first times were easier as my husband didn't want to come.
Firstly I had to change jobs. I was working in a demanding job - a 24 x 7 business, with 'holiday black out' periods which only gave me the option of April/May each year (which I had to allocate between myself and 13 other people) made it impossible.
So I changed my job/life , so I could have a decent break. The job was so demanding that I had used only 3 sick days in 9 years. I never regretted changing jobs.
I gave a years notice of holiday requirements for the Camino.
The last time was trickier as I took my husband with me, and we had to get in house/pet sitters.
This was complicated as we had suffered a major flood, and had a race to get the whole bottom floor of the house redecorated, in time for the house sitter. That was motivating but quite stressful. Our whole region had been damaged by the same flood, and getting in tradesmen, like tilers, and electricians nearly drove me crazy as they were all booked up.
But we made it, and everything just worked out fine.
I just wish I'd started walking the Camino when I was younger.

Last edited:
Living in the blessed land of Australia employees get 4 weeks annual leave and something called long service leave (7+ weeks) if you stay with one company for 10 or more years (but possibly not if you own your own business). So mostly we don’t have the time challenges that others do.
However I think one key challenge even here is thinking ‘why I can’t’ rather than of ‘how I can’.
There are so many great suggestions in the previous posts that I am sure you will be in Camino sooner rather than later.
Buen Camino

We've talked it over and it looks like we won't be able to make it this year. In the meantime I'll be reading and watching the adventures of those who do, while dreaming of a Camino of our own.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We've talked it over and it looks like we won't be able to make it this year. In the meantime I'll be reading and watching the adventures of those who do, while dreaming of a Camino of our own.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Like many I had some years of hearing tales from friends who did it, listening to an audiobook by a German comedian who went on the Camino ... etc and dreaming of doing it myself "someday".

Then my partner did the Camino Portuges and my urge was on the rise ;-) As soon as I felt our little business was stable enough so it could do without me for a couple of weeks I went onto the Camino Frances. I was walking alone as someone had to take care of the business and the dogs ;-)

So, simply put, in my case the flexibility of having my own business was crucial.
So my plan is to also do longer variants in the hopefully not so distant future. Such as Gibraltar to Santiago, crossing Spain from South to North.

Like you FoxyR I had to shift my first plans and have been thinking/ reading and planning for a while. Some good friends did the Camino Francis about 6 yrs ago but alas I could not get the time away from work. Then I needed to care for my mom, then I needed a hip replacement, then Covid hit…and now I am walking in Sept Oct , I decided this is my transition into retirement. My partner is still working so can not join me. I tell myself that this was ment to be my perfect time to do this. My hope as well as my instinct is that for you and for all - we will each find that time when everything aligns- so it’s time to walk! I feel blessed to be so fortunate to be able to do this - and think of others on my journey.

A priest once said to me that "you cannot walk the Camino if St. James did not call you". He called but I could not afford. I lived in the Philippines. I don't have a job apart from hustling as a freelance outdoors educator and adventure guide. He manifests his presence every week or every month by signs or things attributed to him. Walking in the Camino de Santiago was the least of my concern although it had been my dream. I did come to Spain and walked the Camino del Norte and the Camino Primitivo, all the way to the Cape from France. I did not spend a single cent. Someone shouldered everything. The priest was right!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back