• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How did you transition to new credencial when your first got full?

Katherine Radeka

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2023)
Camino Portuguese (2024)
Our first credenciales are full! And we’re now close enough that we’ll need two sellos per day starting tomorrow.

We have two extra we brought from home.

The answer to these questions are probably obvious but I haven’t found them anywhere.

What should we do about the information in the front? This page was filled in for us in SJPP on our first set.

Could we get a place to stamp both the last stamp in the old one and the first stamp in the new one for continuity? I’m sure this is not a requirement but I like the symmetry of it.

Anything else you did that worked out well either while you were traveling or when you got home?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Our first credenciales are full! And we’re now close enough that we’ll need two sellos per day starting tomorrow.

The answer to these questions are probably obvious but I haven’t found them anywhere.

What should we do about the information in the front? This page was filled in for us in SJPP on our first set.

Could we get a place to stamp both the last stamp in the old one and the first stamp in the new one for continuity? I’m sure this is not a requirement but I like the symmetry of it.

Anything else you did that worked out well either while you were traveling or when you got home?
Taped them together.

On my last CF I got through 3 credentials and simply stapled them together so that the last page of the original credential covered the details page of the next:

1655370491470.png

The second credential was issued and stamped at Burgos cathedral so I kept that page although it's hidden. The third credential I bought at Rabanal. It wasn't stamped so I cut off the details page before stapling it on - that's the joint above.
The only problem, if you can call it that, is that the Burgos credential is bigger by a few mms mind you the whole credential is now nearly 6 feet long so . . .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I taped the first two together, but when it came to add a third, the whole ensemble had become a bit too bulky, so I just used the last credential without adding the identification details, and taped it to the others when I got to the Pilgrim Reception Office.

I didnt even tape ours, just passed them over the counter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Got a second identical one, then acquired some glue, and affixed it to the first. Did this first in 1993, and have been doing the same ever since.

Though my current one is a bit extreme - - 10 2-sided credenciales glued back-to-back, and if even that's not enough, I can always grab one or two more to glue in at Lourdes when I get there.

My current one is about 4 metres long ...

The first time in 2004 when I was the only pilgrim at the office of the Dean I presented both Credentials to the man at the desk. After reviewing all the varied stamps on both he marked the second with one final stamp and issued the treasured Compostela. Overcome I cried.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I didnt even tape ours, just passed them over the counter.
I walk long caminos and almost always need 2 credentials. I buy two before I start and always have to be reminded to fill out the information on the front inside page. I have always just handed both credentials to the volunteer at the pilgrim office without any issue whatsoever.

On one Camino I filled three sets of credentials. At the pilgrim's office in Santiago I made the extremely elaborate transition process of handing all three to the volunteer. They transitioned from my hand to theirs. ;)

You don’t need two stamps a day on the final 100km unless you’re only starting 100km out. You’re obviously not.
And no need to join them together. Just fill in your own details

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My ‘bits and pieces’ credencial which I use for my regular short ventures to Spain is now five credenciales taped together.

Beaten into a cocked-hat by a Spanish chap I met once in el acebo who said he lived on the Camino and had a credencial of extraordinary length in a large leather wallet.

Last edited:
You need two-stamps a day for the last 100km regardless of where you start!
Officially yes. But I have just looked at some of my credenciales and on three I failed this test, but still was awarded a compostela. I think that if you have completed a long camino, the volunteers are understanding. I'm not suggesting that people should ignore the rule though.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I just filled out my second one with same information as the first and showed both, it wasn’t a problem. I hope this helps.

You need two-stamps a day for the last 100km regardless of where you start!
Oh sorry I didn’t realise Marbe2. I guess I was only going on hearsay. On my seven Camino’s I’ve only ever collected the one a day unless it was an extra pretty one :)

After our first Camino where we went crazy getting sellos we were more reserved knowing we were going to run out of room. We than started walking with two credentials. We reserved one for the churches and a second credential for random stamps. Of course this was a good idea until it became difficult to find churches that were open. You'll find you forget where you were with so many but I remember the enjoyment in collecting them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Officially yes. But I have just looked at some of my credenciales and on three I failed this test, but still was awarded a compostela. I think that if you have completed a long camino, the volunteers are understanding. I'm not suggesting that people should ignore the rule though.
I wouldn't risk it if the compostela is important to you. In the Tres en el Camino documentary it shows one of the three pilgrims not getting her compostela even though she started in SJPP and arriving with a huge limp, no matter how much she and her friends begged. 😢

Since the stamp is accompanied by the date you were there, there really isn’t a need to connect the credentials. Use each credential till it is full and then start a new one.
That's what I did!

You don’t need two stamps a day on the final 100km unless you’re only starting 100km out.
This is simply wrong. The rules on the Pilgrim Office website make it crystal clear that the rule is to get 2 stamps per day on the last 100 km. My 2012 credential doesn't have it, but all of my others have written at the top of each page: "AL MENOS DOS POR DIA."
Officially yes. But I have just looked at some of my credenciales and on three I failed this test, but still was awarded a compostela.
This statement suggests that the rule can be ignored. This is not helpful to pilgrims seeking accurate information.

On virtually EVERY thread on the forum about getting a compostela, we have people making these statements. It is as predictable as clockwork. :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wouldn't risk it if the compostela is important to you. In the Tres en el Camino documentary it shows one of the three pilgrims not getting her compostela even though she started in SJPP and arriving with a huge limp, no matter how much she and her friends begged. 😢
Absolutely sound advice, for sure. I will take it very seriously next time.

I drew a grid of lines all over the printed portions of my credential because I filled all the blanks about half way along the CF. Great to have them all on one credential.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
New credential (camino passport) with QR code. It says to register the QR code. Does it mean to register it after arrival at Santiago de Compostela upon completion of your camino? Please advise. Thank you.

How about a Digital Credencial? Good luck finding enough QR codes when you need them I reckon........ :rolleyes:
Or does every Albergue, Bar and drinks stand now have QR codes? .......

New credential (camino passport) with QR code. It says to register the QR code. Does it mean to register it after arrival at Santiago de Compostela upon completion of your camino? Please advise. Thank you.
Hi @joramos, I see that nobody replied to your question from about a month ago. It is usually best to start a new thread with a question not related to the thread topic.

You obviously refer to the new design of the credential, see screenshot below. The general consensus says that you can register at any time you want. There is a minority opinion that claims, without basis in facts, that you should do this only when you are close to Santiago but it does not matter one way or the other. Computers have a good memory :cool:.

Use your mobile phone to scan the code in your credencial. This will take you to an online registration form. As soon as you have completed it, you will receive an alphanumeric code by email and by text message that consists of a series of numbers and letters. Write this in the line labelled as such next to the QR code in your credential. Done! And Buen Camino!

Credencial QR code.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This statement suggests that the rule can be ignored. This is not helpful to pilgrims seeking accurate information.
If you have a massive Credencial covering 1,000K or more, and it's clear that you have made some effort towards multiplying your stamps over the final 100/200 K, then they really just glance over it for their own entertainment or something, and you get it pretty quickly.

But really, that's nothing more than the exception that proves the rule : two stamps a day.

The horror stories from others not doing so should be taken quite seriously.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.