• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how difficult is it to get a cheap bed in july and August?

htgute

Im starting the Camino on July 21st in St Jean. I did the whole camino in March and April '08 and had a great time. Are things drastically different in July/August as opposed to March/April in terms of crowds and accommodation? Please answer, especially if you've done the camino recently in July/August.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi htgute,

I completed the Camino Francés last July during the Holy Year. Starting out in SJPdP to Finisterre I only encountered difficulty from Sarria to Santiago but that was I guess to be expected as everyone wanted to be in Santiago on July 25th (I was pleased to spend the 25th in Finisterre). Up until then I only stayed in municipal or parish auberges without any problem.

Unfortunately every year is different and from reading recent reports the auberges are filling up faster this year than last! Read the lastest postings for up-to-date info.

Cheers,
LT

I had difficulties with beds when I walked in May – and on a couple of sections rather impossible. On two occasions I had to choose to take transportion forward to find a bed. When talking to locals they said that they had never ever seen such pressure on the camino. At one time, the rumour went – true or not? – that at the same day about 500 persons had started from Roncevalles at the same time – but this might of course be catalogued as a socalled 'urban legend'. But the pressure was certainly high – and I felt it being a slow walker.

There is always the possibility to phone ahead to a 'private' accomodation, which I felt compelled to do a couple of times – being a slow walker and not into the competition starting walking at 6 and then line up at an albergue already at noon (but I did this on some occasions!)

I would of course not know about July/August, but my understanding is that many 'prospective' camino walkers may have delayed their walk till this year – but do not let this hold you back. There will always be a solution. I wish you a 'Buen camino'.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Consider that World Youth Week is being held 15-21 August in Madrid. In periods before or right after that week, the Camino may pick up an untold number of people who have participated in those activities. It seems all so unpredictable.

annelese-- did you start in St Jean and walk the whole way? what time did you stop walking for the day?

I realize that the camino will always provide, as that has been my experience-- but, im curious what people are experiencing in July/August...

Many observers here have indicated increased numbers of pilgrims during 2011 vs. 2010, yet the official numbers from the Pilgrim' Office contradict this and show the opposite. In fact the decreased numbers and percentage from last year's Holy Year is quite dramatic.

Example: May 2011 - 19,793 pilgrims; May 2010 - 29,052 pilgrims
April 2011 - 14,141 pilgrimes; April 2010 - 19,587

The link to the Pilgrim's Office website with these and other statistics, including pilgrim's points of origin on the Camino is:

http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/post-p ... adisticas/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I started in Roncesvalles and walked to Astorga, 435 km. I had no ambitions or expectations when I started (66 and somewhat unfit when starting) – am myself amazed that I could go so far. I am just now writing up my notes, which are rather detailed. If you send me a PM (and your private e-mail), I could send you details. I think that my details should not clutter the forum. Kindest annelise

Hi,
I walked camino last year mid July to mid August and found no problem finding bed all along camino, till Sarria. The last two nights I slept under the skies. As the saying goes the Camino provides. Dont worry, just put the boots on and get walking.

Buen Camino

markss said:
Consider that World Youth Week is being held 15-21 August in Madrid. In periods before or right after that week, the Camino may pick up an untold number of people who have participated in those activities. It seems all so unpredictable.

I am not sure what the number projections are for World Youth Day (WYD), but I imagine that there will be A LOT of young people walking the last 100km from Sarria either before or after WYD in Madrid. Most WYDs have anywhere from 300,000 to well over a million participants, depending on location. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Youth_Day The last time it was in Europe, there were over a million. Keep that in mind.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
kenseph said:
As the saying goes the Camino provides. Dont worry, just put the boots on and get walking.

Buen Camino

Great advice!

Re: those May 2010 stats. Don't forget there was that pesky volcano in Iceland and unseasonably cold weather in addition to people avoiding holy year crowds.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back