• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I get from Madrid to Pamplona?

Julio Rivera

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Camino Inglés, Camino Portugués, Camino Primitivo, Camino del Norte, Camino Aragonés
What are the transportation options to go from Madrid to Pamplona? I arrive in Madrid, but I do not know how to get to Pamplona and where to take the train/bus/plane to get there. Any advise will be appreciated. thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The train from Madrid will get you there.
The Pamplona Airport is about 9 miles S.W. of the center of the city
The bus terminal is downtown and, during tourist season, there are regular buses to take you over to St. Jean Pied de Port (if that is where you want to begin your camino)
buen camino

If you want to take a plane you should check out the Iberia website. There are often really good fares. It is a question of traveling to the airport from Madrid and dealing with that. I know it can take a while and be a hassle. But the flight is quick and the airport close to town.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Simply walk out of the airport at Terminal 4 and onto a bus to Pamplona. Look for a person in a Kelly Green blazer if you need help. You can purchase tickets at the bus from the driver. It's a beautiful drive and you'll get to see much of the country side. I do it every year.

Check dates and prices at www.movelia.es
Remember, the date is put in day/month/year unlike in the USA

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What are the transportation options to go from Madrid to Pamplona? I arrive in Madrid, but I do not know how to get to Pamplona and where to take the train/bus/plane to get there. Any advise will be appreciated. thank you.
we are going by train on February 19, 2020 from Madrid to Pamplona
about 3 hour train ride

we are going by train on February 19, 2020 from Madrid to Pamplona
about 3 hour train ride
It's about the same amount of time or less to take the bus, considering you must get from the airport to the train station, whereas with the bus, you just walk out of the airport terminal and onto the bus. I love the Spanish buses! Beautiful, clean, with giant viewing windows.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When you get their Julio,I can recommend Hotel Eslava in Pamplona which is very central location off the Plaza Virgin. Inside the walls of the old city.
Very quite, rooms a bit small, but it had an old world feel and very intimate. Owner acted like my long
lost Spanish uncle and was very helpful. Camino is just a few blocks away and bus station is a 12 minute walk.
They gave me a pilgrim discount of 38 Euros (back in 2015) for a private room recommended to sleep off the Jet lag from flight from JFK NY.

Tomorrow I will take a train from Madrid (Atocha Train Station) to Pamplona for my Camino Frances walking this time. In winter I think is better to take the train instead of the bus, sometimes you have snow on the road and here in Spain in that case is a big mess. Buen Camino

Train is faster and bus is more often.

We arrived around 9am, took the Express bus to Atocha train station. 11:30 train to Pamplona. We stayed in a hotel for the night to rest. Next day we walked a few blocks to the bus station and took a 2pm bus to SJPDP. I was so stressed about this but turned out to be very easy.

If you are arriving in Madrid at the airport, I have found the ALSA bus that departs from terminal 4 to be the simplest and least expensive way to get to Pamplona. In the past I have always made my reservations in advance on the ALSA website. Never had a problem.

Tomorrow I will take a train from Madrid (Atocha Train Station) to Pamplona for my Camino Frances walking this time. In winter I think is better to take the train instead of the bus, sometimes you have snow on the road and here in Spain in that case is a big mess. Buen Camino

Are you sure? Whenever I’ve gone RENFE. Madrid to Pamplona (3 or 4 times) it’s departed From Madrid Chamartin.

I know you can get a Cercanias between the two Madrid stations.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love trains, especially the really fast ones like Spain's AVEs and I really like Pamplona, so I took the AVE from Madrid (where I had spent the day and night enjoying another place I love), got there in a three hours. Plenty of time to walk all over, including the medieval quarter and hemingway-related places, and left the next morning refreshed mentally and physically.

We used barajas airport taxi service.

Booking was very easy, and we received a reminder email the day before.
The driver was waiting for us in arrivals and he was parked just outside. It was a Mercedes people carrier/van and the driver spoke very good English and pointed out things on the way. We paid him in cash.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are you sure? Whenever I’ve gone RENFE. Madrid to Pamplona (3 or 4 times) it’s departed From Madrid Chamartin.

I know you can get a Cercanias between the two Madrid stations.
In August, when I took the wonderful AVE train ride (see above), it left from Atocha.

Train is faster, bus is more often, so it depends when you can actually get to the boarding dock.

Options from Madrid centre:

From Madrid Airport:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Aena Madrid Airport

Renfe train from Chamartin station Madrid to Pamplona. There is Renfe Cercanias from Madrid T4 to Chamartin. Madrid Metro from T1 and T4 go to Chamartin but involves transfers. (Note there is another train station, Atocha, in Madrid)

ALSA bus from Avenida de America Madrid (with some but not all originating at Madrid T4) (if you choose to wait at the airport you could be there a while) There is local bus (route 200) from Airport (several stops at airport) to Avenida de America bus station. ALSA goes from Madrid via Zaragosa or Soria to Pamplona. Usually, you don't have to transfer buses. Sometimes bus colors will not be ALSA.

PLM Autocares bus goes direct from Madrid Avenida de America to Pamplona.

Took the bus my first year, but it was absolute hell for my back and legs after all of the hours I had just spent on a plane from the USA. The following year I took the train and found it just as long and uncomfortable. I now use the small plane services which usually get you to the next destination from Madrid in about an hour for not much more than the train or bus. Well worth it to me to avoid aches and pains from being cramped in a seat for hours and hours. Travel safely! Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back