• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I get my hat back

Ewald Schmidt

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Léon- 2011
Camino Portuguese June 2018
Hi friends, I finished today and got my Campostela :D
There was just one tradegy, I left my favourite hat hanging over the chair on the last day between Pedroza Arca to Santiago, in Hotel Restaurante Amenal, just after jou went under the highway trough the bridge. It is brown canvas, and has a South African flag on it. If anyone finishes tomorrow or SUNDAY, please bring it along? I will be in Roots and Boots on Sunday, but Monday will be on my way back home. If you can find it, and would be prepared to post it to me, I would naturally repay your costs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I feel your pain!
I lost my favorite hat in 2009. I had taken it off and tucked it under my pack strap as I came thru Villafranca from Cacabelos. I didn't remember it until Vega de Valcarce.
I really miss that hat. It had been with me all over the world. :|

Good luck on getting lucky and someone on the forum finds it.

Ewald:

Seems simple to me. If the hat was that special, I would, first, call the Hotel restaurant and make sure it was there. If they said yes, I would then do one of two things. Go get it (less than 20km) or ask them to give it to another Pilgrim to bring to Santiago.

Ultreya,
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ewald-

I feel for you, as we have all had similar experiences in our lives. However, one of the lessons that may be learned from your great accomplishment is that, while there are many important things to us (and rightly so), in a sense this loss may help you to realize that things-even ones very important to us-are not as significant as we may think. This is the part about letting go.

This was brought to me very forcefully on my Camino. I had brought a pebble from home to leave on the Camino to commemorate the loss of a son a number of years ago. When I came to the place, I could not find the pebble. I was obviously shaken by this, but not for long. The point was not that I had lost the pebble-it was that I was standing where I was, for a purpose important to me. The pebble was not that important-the reasons were.

So-how important is the hat loss in proportion to your success?

GilbertJ said:
Ewald-

snip....-are not as significant as we may think. This is the part about letting go....snip

:shock: I have never let go of that hat...except that I somehow must have let go long enough to lose it. I still miss that hat and will not forget it easily. :shock:

GilbertJ said:
I had brought a pebble from home to leave on the Camino to commemorate the loss of a son a number of years ago. When I came to the place, I could not find the pebble. I was obviously shaken by this, but not for long. The point was not that I had lost the pebble-it was that I was standing where I was, for a purpose important to me. The pebble was not that important-the reasons were.

So-how important is the hat loss in proportion to your success?

Hi Gilbert, thanks for a very good contribution to my question, and you are completely right. You just put it in perspective again, and thanks for that. I am sorry for your loss, but it seems that you also have discovered some healing along the way?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Three years ago I gave my hat to a Swedish (or was it Norwegian?) chap who had lost his. He was almost bald and already quite red. It was at one of my first aid halts. He took my address and promised to post it back to me.

I never heard a thing .. then, a year later, two days before going to the Camino Frances to set up I received a parcel from Sweden (or was it Norway?) with my hat in it.
Not only that but a series of photographs of my hat going all the way to Santiago! Plus 20 euros to help me with the first aid/tea-and-sympathy halts I was just leaving to do - what a great surprise, what a great guy! :lol:

Caminando said:
"Imagine no possessions"......

John Lennon

Hi CAminando- are you one of those legendary people I just heard about, walking the Camino naked? No possessions? :lol:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Aw Ewald! Relax, it's only a hat! :D

The idea of a naked camino will surely be tried one day. :wink: Among the costume pilgs, unicyclists, joggers etc. Life's rich tapestry!

Buen camino!

I will have to think about nude caminos, but I am pretty certain that airport security lines would disappear if everyone wore a Speedo.

Caminando said:
Aw Ewald! Relax, it's only a hat! :D

The idea of a naked camino will surely be tried one day. :wink: Among the costume pilgs, unicyclists, joggers etc. Life's rich tapestry!

Buen camino!

Already in Germany : walking paths for nudists...
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail ... 110601_068
Don't click on the article if you don't want to see graphic pics!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back