• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I get to St Jean?

Hi Everyone.

I hope I am not about to ask a question that has been asked to death. I will admit I only did a quick search of this forum for it. This is really for the Irish I guess.

How does one get to St Jean? If I book a flight Belfast to Paris now, it is only £50. Which is incredible. I know it will cost more when I go back to it. But is this the best place to fly too? How do I then get to St Jean? There doesn't appear to be a direct train, from my checking the SNCF website.

So, everyone will have there own opinion, but where is best to fly to from Ireland, and how do you get on to St Jean?

Any advice is welcome.

Go raibh maith agat, do chara trid Criost.

Is Mise

Críostóir MacAodha

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As someone who is currently planning London to Saint Jean for September, it would appear that the easiest is fly from Paris to Biarritz Parme airport and take a bus/train to Bayonne station and a train to St Jean.

Getting back from Santiago is then the next issue :!:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Chríostóir,

Do you really have to go in March?
Have you thought that there may still be a lot of snow on the Pyrenees. |I'm not sure about that others will tell you.

The fare from Paris to Bayonne and on to St, Jean will most probably be as much again as the fare to Paris.

If you could hold your horses until April you could get a Ryanair flight to Biarritz on Wednedsay 4th April from Dublin for €44.99 ( euro not pounds sterling) at 12.25.

If you cannot make it from your home to Dublin airport on the day you would be most welcome to stay here in Skerries, (on the railway from Belfast to Dublin) the night before and I will drive you to the airport in time for your flight.

From Biarritz airport you take a bus to Bayonne where you get a train to St. Jean Pied du Port

From Paris, I took a wonderful fast train to Bayonne, and then a local train to SJPP the next morning. I know it's possible to make the connections in one day also.

Hi Chríostóir,

I echo Lydia's advice. The last time I flew from Dublin to Biarritz with Ryanair and got the train out to St Jean the next day. I decided that I'd like to see a little of the Biarritz/Anglet/Bayonne region before starting the Camino but with an afternoon (flight) arrival and a late train, it's possible to make it to St Jean from Dublin within the day. From what I remember, the train fare was under €10 and the flight was about €100 all-in but that was at the end of August.

In terms of convenience, it's possibly the easiest way and you'll no doubt meet fellow Pilgrims on the flight or at the airport. An added bonus (should you choose to see it that way) of flying with Ryanair is that your pack will definitely have to weigh less than 10kgs as cabin baggage. This should encourage you to pack light and small, giving you less to carry along the Camino itself.

That said, I have the advantage of local bus route that serves Dublin airport, making getting to and away from it that much easier.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
From my book - How to get Home.
Airlines that fly from Santiago’s Lavacolla airport

Aer Lingus Dublin [seasonal]

I did a search using 3rd May as a date:

From Santiago de Compostela to Dublin
Fare 15.99
Taxes and Charges 20.00
Flight Total 35.99

Total Price: EUR 35.99

Well, it seem's March is just not going to be realistic. I simply can not afford it. I am budgeted for everything, and was stupid enough to forget budgetting for getting there, which I thought would be the easy part.

If I go on the 4th of April, as suggested, it will cost me £60 to get there from Ireland. However I can not guarantee I can go in April and so I am unable to book in advance. I really do not know what to do now.

Lydia, your offer is beyond generous, and I thank you most graciously for it :)

Go raibh maith agat, do chara trid Criost.

Is Mise

Críostóir MacAodha

Chríostóir,

Your welcome or as they say in Spanish ' De nada'.

I know I would definitely be at home April 4th. Can't guarantee other dates. But keep in touch and some day you will get going on the Camino de Santiago.

God bless and keep you,

Lydia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Chriostoir,

If it's any help last week I booked a flight from Dublin to Biarritz for Monday 26th March & it cost less than €30 inc all taxes (or €45 with a checked in bag) one way arriving in Biarritz approximately 3.30pm.

From there, as mentioned by previous posters you can take a bus from the airport to Bayonne train station (approx €1) & then a train to St. Jean (approx €10) but this means not getting there until shortly after 7.30pm if all connections are on time.

There is also a kind of taxi service that takes passengers directly from Biarritz airport to St. Jean, a journey time of about an hour. Price depends on the number of passengers. For a person travelling alone it would be over €65 but if say there were 4 passengers then the fare would be approx €17 or for 5 passengers approx €15. I think this is the option myself & my travelling companions will take. Their website is http://www.expressbourricot.com.

Hope this helps & I wish you well on your travels.

Dave

Criostoir
A flight from London Stansted on 6 March to Biarritz
with Ryanir is 12.99 sterling.Easyjet fly Belfast to Stansted.I am sure
you can get a cheap flight with them.
Alternatively London Stansted Ryanair 3/03
Biarritz at 2pm for 27.99.I walked the Frances
in 2006 St Jean to Santiago.I flew to Biarritz and then
train Bayonne to St Jean.Arrived St Jean about 10pm
and the acceuil des pèlerins at St Jean provided us
with accomodation at that late hour.
Bonne chemin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mournes said:
Criostoir
A flight from London Stansted on 6 March to Biarritz
with Ryanir is 12.99 sterling.Easyjet fly Belfast to Stansted.I am sure
you can get a cheap flight with them.
Alternatively London Stansted Ryanair 3/03
Biarritz at 2pm for 27.99.I walked the Frances
in 2006 St Jean to Santiago.I flew to Biarritz and then
train Bayonne to St Jean.Arrived St Jean about 10pm
and the acceuil des pèlerins at St Jean provided us
with accomodation at that late hour.
Bonne chemin.

Today's prices (9 Jan):
Stansted - Biarritz March 3rd: £31-79 plus £6 booking fee
ditto March 6th: £18-39 plus £6

How do I get to St Jean from SFO and back?

I want to leave from San Francisco airport on the night of 3/3/12... can anyone help me with flight plans to St. Jean Pier de Port and from Santiago on 3/29/2012. I'm not very versed in making flight planes. Do i try to use expedia/travelocity with multiple flight option or pay separate flights incorporating Ryanair. Help me I' lost. AND is there anyone else flying from SFO around that time, would love to hook up and compare notes.

Mik209:

I would fly Delta from SFO to Barcelona $722 (3/3/12). Then train from Barcelona to Pamplona. Then taxi, bus, or Express Buricott (sp.) to SJPdP. From Santiago 3/28 to Barcelona Ryan air 26Euros, Vueling 26-49 Euro's, Span air $60Euro's. All can be found through Kayak with the exception of Ryan air.

You might want to consider starting in Pamplona since you will only have about 24 days to walk. If you choose that option it will cut three days off your Camino. Many people start here.

Hope this helps. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to PM me.

Ultreya,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My son started this thread so maybe some would like an update. He flew out of Belfast for Gatwick early yesterday morning (got me up at 4am on my birthday) then on to Toulouse early this morning. Unfortunately there was some industrial action on the trains today so his was cancelled. They gave him an alternative to Bordeaux then south again to Bayonne. Guess what, train delayed at Agen so he missed his connection so sitting in Bordeaux waiting for 9pm express to Bayonne arriving 10.40 tonight. Hopes to find somewhere to stay and make SJPP tomorrow morning. Murphy's law at work today, anything that could go wrong went wrong. As long as thats all and nothing else goes wrong he will make it all the way. He never lets anything beat him

I did what Annie did. I flew into Paris, then took a train to Bayonne and a bus to St. Jean. (Except I did it all in one day). It was stressful, but it seems like any way of getting to St. Jean is annoying! Best of luck!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back