• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I go about volunteering in a Donativo?

Lisa2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to do the walk this Autumn 2018
Hi fellow pilgrims,

I have been planning to walk the Camino del Norte for a while, was meant to be going this September but I guess it's too early to know if this would be possible? Unless anyone has any info about this?

I would like to volunteer in a Donitivo for a couple of weeks on the trail, does anyone know how I would set this up?

Thanks in advance

Lisa

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi fellow pilgrims,

I have been planning to walk the Camino del Norte for a while, was meant to be going this September but I guess it's too early to know if this would be possible? Unless anyone has any info about this?

I would like to volunteer in a Donitivo for a couple of weeks on the trail, does anyone know how I would set this up?

Thanks in advance

Lisa
Lisa,
Type Volunteering in the blue search box at the upper left of the screen then tap the box and voila! you will see a wealth of posts to scan.

Happy research and Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

There is a two day course prior to volunteering, I chose Logrono but with Covid I'm not sure what is the current situation.
According to this pagehttps://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/hospitaleros/cursos.asp
there are no courses planned in Spain for 2021. So far there is a course in The Netherlands and a few in France. The Canadian and American Associations normally also offer courses but I have not heard what the current situation is in those 2 countries. This is the "official" route to take but informally, there are opportunities. This year who knows what will happen. Private albergues are starting to open but I have yet to hear about the municipal and parochial ones.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you everyone for your kind and helpful responses, much appreciated :)

Uuummmmmm?
Obviously the CF is the most popular route and I think that your chances of getting a 2 week posting would be better. Speaking of my own experiences , there would be Albergues offering positions , especially private ones without having attended a course.
On one occasion I met a young lady in a town in Rioja , at a fair sized albergue. She was a volunteer who had a private spot to stay and was probably remunerated with a few Euros per day which she supplemented by selling the odd bottle of vino. She seemed happy enough.
Unless it is a Hosvol albergue , most people move on eventually feeling that they were taken advantage of ........ but not most Spanish folks who enjoy the change of scenery , the paid for pack of ciggies , a full belly , a warm bed and the opportunity of experiencing self worth again , don't complain.
In 2003 there was a hospitalero at Tomas' albergue who had just spent 2 weeks in Puente la Reina , he was just so happy to have a posting where he could depend on his next evening meal with a glass or two of vino.
In conclusion , I was soooooooo fortunate to give back as a Hospitalero at San Anton ............... you should however know the ground rules , the law and be wise to any chancers , the rest of your pilgrims are YOUR responsibility.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back