A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

COVID How do I make it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianaRod

Camino(s) past & future
October 2020
I’m so sorry if this post is redundant. I have looked at several other threads for this information.
It appears to me there are Americans on the Camino right now. Am I right? If so, how did you get into France or Spain? I’m planning on starting from St. Jean in October. Everything I’m seeing online says travel from the US is restricted.
Can anyone offer insights?? Thank you so much. Rod

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I had a friend who was due to fly to Spain in mid July. The flight was not officially cancelled, but after filling out the required forms imposed because of covid, was denied being able to travel.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
Sorry not to Canadians but I understand from friends there that they may not leave the county.
As far as I know, I am free to leave Canada, and there are flights available. There could be complications such as crossing some provincial borders by road, or the need to quarantine on return to the country, that would make it impractical for some people but that is a separate matter. I could get my husband to drive me 35 km to the airport and leave with no problem, as long as I wear a mask!

arthur1218

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Tortuga
Indeed, out of more than 30 countries of both Americas, only Canada and Uruguay have reciprocal agreement with EU and can travel to Spain and back home. The same with Australia, New Zealand and South Korea. The fact that your countries may not be happy for you to go to Europe is a different story, but you are welcome to Spain, or other EU/Schengen countries.

As we already know, those rules are very dynamic and can change from day to day. Spanish Ministry of Health just published the new infection data for the past weekend and the number of new cases grew by 16,269 over the weekend. It's a lot for Spain. Those adventurous Canadians who plan to arrive (soon) to Spain may want to take winter clothes with them, because they may get stuck in Spain for the duration of the entire second wave, which may last much longer than the first one, although the scientist say it shouldn't be nearly as lethal. 🐢

After all, who needs winter clothes in Sevilla! 🕺🌞 Just try not to get stuck in Monte de Gozo 😉

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I’m so sorry if this post is redundant. I have looked at several other threads for this information.
It appears to me there are Americans on the Camino right now. Am I right? If so, how did you get into France or Spain? I’m planning on starting from St. Jean in October. Everything I’m seeing online says travel from the US is restricted.
Can anyone offer insights?? Thank you so much. Rod
You'll need to be patient and wait. Consider the waiting period as a Camino in itself.

GraemeHall

Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017/18; Portugués 2019
Indeed, out of more than 30 countries of both Americas, only Canada and Uruguay have reciprocal agreement with EU and can travel to Spain and back home. The same with Australia, New Zealand and South Korea. The fact that your countries may not be happy for you to go to Europe is a different story, but you are welcome to Spain, or other EU/Schengen countries.

As we already know, those rules are very dynamic and can change from day to day. Spanish Ministry of Health just published the new infection data for the past weekend and the number of new cases grew by 16,269 over the weekend. It's a lot for Spain. Those adventurous Canadians who plan to arrive (soon) to Spain may want to take winter clothes with them, because they may get stuck in Spain for the duration of the entire second wave, which may last much longer than the first one, although the scientist say it shouldn't be nearly as lethal. 🐢

After all, who needs winter clothes in Sevilla! 🕺🌞 Just try not to get stuck in Monte de Gozo 😉
I think you'll find you are incorrect re Australia. Our international borders are closed in both directions, probably until at least January. (We are not banned from entering the EU, just can't leave home.)

arthur1218

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Tortuga
There's a list of presently 12 countries, beside the EU/Schengen countries, which passport allows you to enter Spain.
Those countries are: Australia, Canada, China, Georgia, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, United Kingdom, and Uruguay.

WHO CAN TRAVEL TO SPAIN

Edited: added UK and removed Morocco 🐢

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Mexico is also part of North America, in case anyone forgot. 😊
Though I don't believe that they can enter the EU either.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
I wanted to make the point of not saying Americans because my Uruguayan friend always corrected me when I did, "we're Americans too 😉
Know your audience ;)!

Speakers of Spanish use the term norteamericano to denote a national of the USA, and therefore they may use the term North American in English in the same way. Except that native speakers of English have a different understanding of this term. For them, a North American is either a national of the USA or a national of Canada, usually.

It's similar to people saying Europe and meaning only the European Union or the European continent minus the British Isles, or people saying "I love America" and meaning only the USA.

There's even a Latin expression for such figures of speech. It's not pars pro toto, that's the opposite. 🤓

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
We are not banned from entering the EU, just can't leave home.
South Africans ARE banned from entering the EU, AND we can't leave home 😭🥺.

Camino(s) past & future
CF : stages 2008, 2017, 2018 ; completed.
There's a list of presently 12 countries, beside the EU/Schengen countries, which passport allows you to enter Spain.
Those countries are: Australia, Canada, China, Georgia, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, and Uruguay.

WHO CAN TRAVEL TO SPAIN
I am not sure that this list is strictly correct.
As far as I am aware, UK passport holders are able to enter Spain (subject to some requirements) but the UK is no longer in the EU (and was never in Schengen).
The link has the same deficiency ; the UK needs to be added to that list also.
Of course, we now need to quarantine for 14 days when we return from Spain...

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
The link has the same deficiency; the UK needs to be added to that list also.
Well spotted ☺. And Morocco needs to be taken off the list in the link. About 10 days ago, the EU Council had already removed Morocco from their list of countries for which travel restrictions should be lifted, and as far as I know Spain had never lifted their Covid-19 related entry restrictions for residents of Morocco in the first place.

It's not easy to keep track of developments at the moment ...

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
Know your audience ;)!

Speakers of Spanish use the term norteamericano to denote a national of the USA, and therefore they may use the term North American in English in the same way. Except that native speakers of English have a different understanding of this term. For them, a North American is either a national of the USA or a national of Canada, usually.

It's similar to people saying Europe and meaning only the European Union or the European continent minus the British Isles, or people saying "I love America" and meaning only the USA.

There's even a Latin expression for such figures of speech. It's not pars pro toto, that's the opposite. 🤓
People in Spain call us norteamericanos, but Mexicans don't. They call us Estadounidenses (or Gringos!). People in South America are Sudamericanos (or Bolivianos, etc.). I'm not sure if Spanish include Canadians in the term norteamericanos, but I would think so.

RemysMimi

Hooked on the Camino!!
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2018)
Frances or Portuguese (2020)
Why does everything have to be a debate? Simple question.

witsendwv

Camino(s) past & future
(2015)
People in Spain call us norteamericanos, but Mexicans don't. They call us Estadounidenses (or Gringos!). People in South America are Sudamericanos (or Bolivianos, etc.). I'm not sure if Spanish include Canadians in the term norteamericanos, but I would think so.
When we travel in Spain and are asked where we are from my response is always: Somos estadounidenses. The reaction is typically: Ah- americanos! We have never been referred to as norteamericanos. The response is usually followed by a question as to which state we are from- Oeste Virginia- Ah! Virginia, as apparently WV does not seem to be known. Unless we are in the Republic of Ireland, and then we are serenaded with: Almost Heaven........

witsendwv

Camino(s) past & future
(2015)
Please do do perpetuate the use of the derogatory Gringos.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
This discussion of how to refer to people from different countries has gone off topic. Let's not continue it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
amancio Covid and the Camino 32

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 378 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock