• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I receive mail from home along the CF?

PaulCat

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2015) & June/July (2018)
I can't see to find the post from a few months (or maybe years back) about what to give your friends or family if they want to mail you a letter while on the Camino and pick it up from one of the post offices?

Does anyone know how to do this?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I checked the addresses of the major cities along the way and printed a list for close family members who (like me) love to write letters. My almost daily letters to my partner became my diary and I enclosed the pages from the guide book pertaining to the day/s I had just finished as well as small bits of printed trivia, for example; menus, advertisements for albergues, shopping receipts etc. Souvenirs for myself. Some mail from home (Australia) arrived in time for me to collect them at various places, but the writer must leave plenty of time (weeks rather than days) in order to ensure this. Obviously this time frame varies if the mail comes from countries closer to Spain. One letter did not arrive in Longrono and the very helpful personnel assured me that they would forward it to Santiago. It arrived back in Australia many weeks after I did! Equally a letter posted by me (among the many) arrived at my home destination months later. Lesson: Better late than never, and more importantly: Always record the sender's name and address on all mail. Just for interest: when I returned home it was fun to see which letters arrived when, given that I had posted many in very, very small villages. I wrote the date I posted mail on the back of the envelope and the receiver dated them when they arrived; often multiple letters on the same day. By my reckoning, only one permanently went astray. Postcards, as is the case from most countries, took much longer to arrive. Best wishes!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There's no shortage of places to mail a letter. If you want to be able to receive mail, your best bet might be a virtual mailbox service. Most can receive your mail, open and scan it, and notify you with a link for viewing it.
They can then store, forward or shred the physical copy.

I've been happy with Traveling Mailbox, but there are many to choose from.

Have a great Camino!

I am thoroughly anti-cellphone, virulently so and with the years have not relented. However, my family fears prevailed, worried that while on the Camino I might be kidnapped by the gypsies, skinned alive by the Basques, eaten by bears, or run over by a runaway garbage truck have force me to moderate. The simplest of cellular phones and a Spanish sim-card are a much less complicated solution. Do you really want to spend the time running down the addresses of post offices in Spain and then hunting them down in a major city perhaps to find that due to your own or the Spanish postal system the awaited communication has not yet arrived?

I am thoroughly anti-cellphone, virulently so and with the years have not relented. However, my family fears prevailed, worried that while on the Camino I might be kidnapped by the gypsies, skinned alive by the Basques, eaten by bears, or run over by a runaway garbage truck have force me to moderate. The simplest of cellular phones and a Spanish sim-card are a much less complicated solution. Do you really want to spend the time running down the addresses of post offices in Spain and then hunting them down in a major city perhaps to find that due to your own or the Spanish postal system the awaited communication has not yet arrived?

What next. Favorite take away delivered from home by drone or helicopter. Walked a few km recently with a peregrine who had a helicopter at nearest airport as he did not want to bus or train or get contaminated by scruffy walkers, his words not mine, tourist holiday or lowly peregrine ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back