Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

How do I volunteer at an albergue

sheilakirwan

Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2010); Camino Primativo (2012)
I would very much like to volunteer at an albergue - preferably a donativo albergue (as I feel they all should be!)....
The nicest albergue that I stayed in in 2010 was St Roque - on the way to Finisterre - a donativo albergue where the warden cooked for all the pilgrims - I would love to do 2 weeks ther (August or September) and speak a little spanish.

Otherwise maybe the english albergue in Rabanal?
I have walked the Camino Frances (all route) in 2010 and the Primativo (beautiful) in 2012 and would be grateful for any advice.
Sheila
I would also like to walk another camino - perhaps in September and am thinking of the Camino Norte - I feel I would be hard pushed to better the Primativo route and would prefer a route which was more off road than Frances and also less crowded

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

LTfit

Veteran Member
Hi Sheila,

Great that you would like to volunteer. May I suggest that you check out the subforum Hospitaleros:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/hospitaleros/ to read about various options. If you type in HOSVOL in the advanced search option you will also come up with information.

Should you wish to volunteer in a Spanish Federation run albergue (all donativos) then you will need to take their course http://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/hospitaleros/cursos.asp or be prepared to arrive 2-3 days early to become acquainted with the running of the albergue. Anaï is the coordinator at this time. You can reach her at: hosvol@caminosantiago.org.

I was placed in the Albergue Parroquial in Grañón last July so if you would like to know any specifics about volunteering please let me know.

Forum member Sil (sillydoll) worked in San Roque in 2011 I believe so she could give you information about that albergue which is not part of the Spanish Federation. Volunteers for Albergue Gaucelmo in Rabanal are organized by the English Confraternity of St. James. They also organize volunteers for the albergue in Miraz along the Norte.

Cheers,
LT

tomfriesen

You have met the first requirement for working at many of the albergues. You have walked as a pilgrim. You can take the trainings in Spain in Spring if you speak enough Spanish. There are trainings also offered in other locations around the world if English is your preferred language. These are also posted on the Spanish website that LTfit referred you to.
It is my understanding that the albergue at Rabanal is already full for people wishing to volunteer in 2013. You can work in Miraz which is also run by the Confraternity of St James. This is easier to get into although effective Spanish is more of a need here than on the Camino Frances.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:

sheilakirwan

Camino Frances (2010); Camino Primativo (2012)
Many thanks for all the replies - I have just emailed Bejo and am looking into the other links - also read your blog Silly doll and it has increased the desire to volunteer - sounds wonderful - muchas gracias
sheila

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

KSM

walked camino France's April/may 2015!!!!!
Tickets booked..... Backpack almost ready ...... Training ongoing .....mental state: beyond excited! ...... Leaving to complete el camino frances april 22nd!!!
Hi! Just wondering if you ever found an albergue to volunteer at? And if you did, do you have any tips on how I could go about finding more information?
Thanks!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings