• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do people adjust to home after their return from the Camino?

Sillydoll, a very generous poster and veteran of many caminos, commented once, "Who would believe you would miss your backpack", but it is true. After a while you will settle, but like many of us, will probably start planning another....and another. We only ever intended to do the Francais but we have just completed our third (now Francais, Via Francigena and Le Puy to SJPP) and, who knows, maybe in a year or two, another one.
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)
Speaking of missing your backpack, I had a similar experience with my sleeping bag 6 weeks after returning from my first Camino. It began innocently enough last Sunday; I had begun to change my sheets but once I had the fitted sheet on the mattress, the thought stole through my mind that I could use my Camino sleeping bag until the original sheets back on when they came out of the wash.

The sheets were ready the next day but I continued using my sleeping bag, one night after another, until a week had gone by.

I never would have thought that I would prefer a sleeping bag to regular bedding but somehow it brought back being on the Camino.

Like so many of you, I, too find myself on this forum a lot in addition to spending a great deal of time blogging about my experiences on the Francés this summer. It is still so present and I am already beginning to plan my second camino for June 2015, either the Francés again or the Norte...

Thank you all for keeping it alive for me...

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Speaking of missing backpacks I had a similar experience with my sleeping bag 6 weeks after returning from my Camino. It began innocently enough last Sunday; I had begun to change my sheets but once I had the fitted sheet on the mattress, the thought stole through my mind, I could just use my Camino sleeping bag and put the original sheets back on when they came out of the wash. The sheets came out the next day but I stayed in my bag, one night after another until a week had gone by.

I never would have thought I would prefer sleeping in my bag to my regular bedding but somehow it brought back being on the Camino.

Like so many of you, I, too find myself on this forum a lot in addition to spending a great deal of time blogging about my experiences on the Francés this summer. It is still so present and I am already beginning to plan my second camino for June 2015, either the Francés again or the Norte...

I've been sleeping in my liner with my bag unzipped over me for the past week :D It's funny sometimes what we can find comfort in!

Speaking of missing backpacks I had a similar experience with my sleeping bag 6 weeks after returning from my Camino. It began innocently enough last Sunday; I had begun to change my sheets but once I had the fitted sheet on the mattress, the thought stole through my mind, I could just use my Camino sleeping bag and put the original sheets back on when they came out of the wash. The sheets came out the next day but I stayed in my bag, one night after another until a week had gone by.

I never would have thought I would prefer sleeping in my bag to my regular bedding but somehow it brought back being on the Camino.

Nice reminder not to be forgotten.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Everything in our lives is affected by our environment. Whether it be our jobs, families, friends, school etc. Each day we awake into these well known scenarios and live/survive/adjust???? The Camino, imo, is a step out of those bubbles. It allows us the freedom to think outside of our controlled/managed/extant/present day routines with few distractions.

Our return home is a step back into an environment we know and have probably given quite a bit of thought to over a 3o to 45 day trip outside of it. The environments we return to are healthy/not healthy/somewhere in between. They are all environments we have chosen/been born into/gravitated towards/followed others into etc., for whatever reasons in our long or short lifetimes.

I do not think it is possible to walk a Camino and not be changed in some way if only for a short while.

How do we adjust when we get home? How did you adjust while walking the Camino?

We can go home and embrace our family/friends/jobs etc. or we can make changes (possibly big or small) in our lives.

The Camino, imo, is an annual introspective journey/opportunity for me to grow as a man and become a better person. The side benefits are meeting wonderful people, an improvement in my fitness, enjoyment of nature, beautiful scenery, good food and drink and observing mankind, in general, functioning at it's best.

When I return home, I am hopefully a better husband, father, grandfather, neighbor, friend etc. at least for awhile. Then I need to go back to the Camino and work on my still imperfect self. The Camino, imo, provides an environment for that to happen.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Everything in our lives is affected by our environment. Whether it be our jobs, families, friends, school etc. Each day we awake into these well known scenarios and live/survive/adjust???? The Camino, imo, is a step out of those bubbles. It allows us the freedom to think outside of our controlled/managed/extant/present day routines with few distractions.

Our return home is a step back into an environment we know and have probably given quite a bit of thought to over a 3o to 45 day trip outside of it. The environments we return are healthy/not healthy/somewhere in between. They are all environments we have chosen/been born into/gravitated towards/followed others into etc., for whatever reasons in our long or short lifetimes.

I do not think it is possible to walk a Camino and not be changed in some way if only for a short while.

How do we adjust when we get home? How did you adjust while walking the Camino?

We can go home and embrace our family/friends/jobs etc. or we can make changes (possibly big or small) in our lives.

The Camino, imo, is an annual introspective journey/opportunity for me to grow as a man and become a better person. The side benefits are meeting wonderful people, an improvement in my fitness, enjoyment of nature, beautiful scenery, good food and drink and observing mankind, in general, functioning at it's best.

When I return home, I am hopefully a better husband, father, grandfather, neighbor, friend etc. at least for awhile. Then I need to go back to the Camino and work on my still imperfect self. The Camino, imo, provides an environment for that to happen.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hi Joe,

I couldn't have said it better.

I'm giving it another try to concentrate more on the spiritual aspect of the journey starting this October 2014. I'm starting from Santiago to Finisterre/Muxia. Thus, for me, completing the St. Jean to Finisterre route

Any helpful advice/experiences are very welcome.

Wonder what it will bring???

Some of us never "settle back at home" ! We write books and blogs, contribute to this amazing Forum, and continue to dream of starting out for Santiago once again. Whether this may be or not is up to chance. Nevertheless every morning as dawn breaks I scan the sky, feel the wind and test the air temperature as I think what a great day for walking!

MM
I second that although maybe not as early as dawn :) My wife says I have never settled back into 'the real world' although I say the real world is on the camino and cant wait to go back. Strange wee thing with me. When I see the weather forecast at night I find myself looking at the weather over the north of Spain rather than the north of Ireland and try to picture the pilgrims on the way

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I returned from my Camino at the end of June and for six weeks my return to the norms of work and home was constantly interrupted by flashbacks to the images and the people who shared that special time with my wife and I. As the months have gone by and i await the knee surgery that is required following the Camino my only question for the doctor is will i be able to return. The Camino has changed me more than i could ever have thought possible and in so many ways and those changes have improved me as a person and my relationships with the people in my life . Life will never be the same again and that in itself made the return to normal life a joy and now while life goes on my dream is to return and experience the wonder that is the Camino again.

OMG! What evil thing have you done that you must walk the Camino again?

I walked from SJPDP to Santiago during the time you did---don't you recall many people complaining about repeat hikers taking up beds that first time hikers thought should have been theirs? I know our group tended to stay away from the Repeat hikers as we always wondered just what they had done to require walking another Camino for Penance.

I returned from my Camino at the end of June and for six weeks my return to the norms of work and home was constantly interrupted by flashbacks to the images and the people who shared that special time with my wife and I. As the months have gone by and i await the knee surgery that is required following the Camino my only question for the doctor is will i be able to return. The Camino has changed me more than i could ever have thought possible and in so many ways and those changes have improved me as a person and my relationships with the people in my life . Life will never be the same again and that in itself made the return to normal life a joy and now while life goes on my dream is to return and experience the wonder that is the Camino again.
Well done Crusader!! You seem to have brought the Camino home with you. The feelings I felt after my long stint in June 2014 was very different to my recent short walk from Santiago to Muxia and Fisterra. I'm glad I didn't wait until next spring to go back. I left myself as open as I could have done and I didn't focus on any physical or organisational part of the journey. I was rewarded and returned feeling satisfied, grateful, humble and ready to plan another stint for next year. Best of luck with your recovery, you will return to the Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
OMG! What evil thing have you done that you must walk the Camino again? ... to require walking another Camino for Penance.

My first Camino was walked in penance and in memoriam; my second in joyful gratitude; my third in acceptance. Each journey is a process of movement from one place to another. And so, in response to the OP, I think home adjusts to me as much as I adjust to home.

It's been a week tomorrow since leaving Spain. As Rebekah Scott said "culture shock does not begin to describe what happens next".

In some ways, one could say that I am blessed as I have had nothing to return back to. No job, no real fixed address, no commitments apart from my dog who cost me a little fortune in vet fees since my return.

With total freedom, ironically comes anxiety and feeling overwhelmed. Which path to take?

I wish someone would come and paint yellow arrows to mark my way.

I found myself in almost the same scenario. No job, no real fixed address, no dog. The only commitment I have is my undergrad study, I'm a mature student at UBC. Coming back after 18 months in Europe during which I walked 4 short and long Caminos, was tough. Upon coming back I've felt completely disconnected with my life before Camino and it has been a constant struggle to return to normality for the past 2 months. I thought I am crazy because I can't stop dreaming about doing another camino. The people in my life might think I am crazy though they don't want to say it to my face.
Yes, I can totally relate, I feel overwhelmed and lost without the yellow arrow in this mundane life. Is it weird how I never felt lost on the camino, by myself, walking on unknown paths to never-heard-before places in a foreign country without speaking the language??? I just calmly follow the signs and face the unknown every day of the camino.
How I wish for you and me to find that kind of symbolic yellow arrow in our daily life, one day. And that we could calmly face the unknown everyday of our mundane life too! Buen Camino
Cheers,

I found myself in almost the same scenario. No job, no real fixed address, no dog. The only commitment I have is my undergrad study, I'm a mature student at UBC. Coming back after 18 months in Europe during which I walked 4 short and long Caminos, was tough. Upon coming back I've felt completely disconnected with my life before Camino and it has been a constant struggle to return to normality for the past 2 months. I thought I am crazy because I can't stop dreaming about doing another camino. The people in my life might think I am crazy though they don't want to say it to my face.
Yes, I can totally relate, I feel overwhelmed and lost without the yellow arrow in this mundane life. Is it weird how I never felt lost on the camino, by myself, walking on unknown paths to never-heard-before places in a foreign country without speaking the language??? I just calmly follow the signs and face the unknown every day of the camino.
How I wish for you and me to find that kind of symbolic yellow arrow in our daily life, one day. And that we could calmly face the unknown everyday of our mundane life too! Buen Camino
Cheers,

Camino4me, if you read some of the advice that was given to me on page one of this thread you may find it helpful, I did. Take things easy, don't try to forget was you enjoyed about the Camino, don't try too hard to fit into your past life...get on with your new one. Lighten up a little and smile. I didn't try to get people to understand, they can't. In time you will treasure your feelings. Keep decisions and things simple, this is the life you enjoyed living on the Camino. There may not be visible yellow arrows!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Great to read all your reflections. Sharing is good, but the experience is different for everybody. Amazing things happen, but you need to open yourself for it. And don't compare to quick :) Coming back was for me, very difficult. I see walking my camino as a great therapy. A phase that should fit into a learning process in my life that continues. Still trying to understand the lessons. A deep inner process. Back at home it is the challenge to translate it into your life. It is too easy to write it as a success story. For me it is a long process, it is changing my life ... but slowly. Making a pilgrimage again, feels good, to recharge myself. But for me it does not to be Spain. It can be any path, also nearby home. Like the Jacobspath from Koln that I walked this spring. Leaving home again with my backpack and give up security, don't book your sleeping place and walk in trust. That is special. But 'you' may do it on your own way :)

Great to read all your reflections. Sharing is good, but the experience is different for everybody. Amazing things happen, but you need to open yourself for it. And don't compare to quick :) Coming back was for me, very difficult. I see walking my camino as a great therapy. A phase that should fit into a learning process in my life that continues. Still trying to understand the lessons. A deep inner process. Back at home it is the challenge to translate it into your life. It is too easy to write it as a success story. For me it is a long process, it is changing my life ... but slowly. Making a pilgrimage again, feels good, to recharge myself. But for me it does not to be Spain. It can be any path, also nearby home. Like the Jacobspath from Koln that I walked this spring. Leaving home again with my backpack and give up security, don't book your sleeping place and walk in trust. That is special. But 'you' may do it on your own way :)

Hi hans2hike,
When I found it difficult to adjust to home I found the forum helpful in that I was not alone. I agree that everyone's experience has to be different and each journey different. Like you I am planning a home Camino in Ireland on a very beautiful trail through Part of Dublin, Wicklow southwards, 132km. But still plan to do maybe the Portuguese way next year.

Adjust? Do you need to? Go with your new flow and be grateful that your 18 months were well spent. Many people spend their whole lives without gaining what you have. Enjoy the serenity that is there within you. Don't try to adjust, just enjoy being the new you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Our adjustment to coming home from the Camino Francis this year was to start preparing to do another Camino next year. This time the Le Puy route. I think Camino is addictive and their is no cure, you just have to keep going back.

Keep walking and start a Photographic blog.

Dermot

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have found that the most difficult part of returning home after 6 weeks on the Camino is missing the many new friends that I met along the way. I'm VERY thankful for social media to keep connected.

I know my family, friends, and co-workers are tired of hearing me talk about the Camino. It's great to connect online with my Camino friends, share pictures, and comment on how much we miss the trail.

I have found that the most difficult part of returning home after 6 weeks on the Camino is missing the many new friends that I met along the way. I'm VERY thankful for social media to keep connected.

I know my family, friends, and co-workers are tired of hearing me talk about the Camino. It's great to connect online with my Camino friends, share pictures, and comment on how much we miss the trail.
Ditto missing my new friends. Ditto gratitude for social media. Ditto friends and family tired of hearing me talk about the Camino (and post Camino blog updates almost daily).

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

Hi hans2hike,
When I found it difficult to adjust to home I found the forum helpful in that I was not alone. I agree that everyone's experience has to be different and each journey different. Like you I am planning a home Camino in Ireland on a very beautiful trail through Part of Dublin, Wicklow southwards, 132km. But still plan to do maybe the Portuguese way next year.

Sounds as a good plan, Catherine.
Wish you beautiful walks and experiences again :)
Buen Camino
Hans

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
By living your life now from what you learn on the Camino....
This.

Also I'd say that we were fortunate enough to have built a week in in the Basque region after finishing. It felt very ODD to be on vacation after the Camino, but it did feel really nice to be in ONE place for a full week, as well as to have a stepping stone out of the Camino.....instead of the shock of being in Santiago then suddenly being on a plane back to the concrete jungle.

One of the things that occurs to me when I read through this thread is how suddenly modern pilgrims are thrust back into "real life" after their extraordinary caminos.
The camino developed over time, in an era when EVERYTHING took a mighty long time to happen. If you went anywhere, you probably walked, or rode a slow animal. And once you got there, you had to turn around and go the whole way home again. Life was short and brutal. Going back to Spain for another go was not an option.
Ergo, people who made the "original" medieval camino had an extraordinary journey to an amazing place. Then they had a journey of weeks or months to process the whole thing before they got home and resumed their old lives -- assuming they survived.
Modern people have 4 or 8 or 24 hours or so between their camino and their home airport. "Culture shock" does not begin to describe what happens next.
It's no wonder so many people feel they are not finished. They probably aren't!
I may be very wrong, but my theory is: for some people (many of them on this thread) the camino clears you up, it gives you a new lease on life, a re-set. It is designed to, over time, show you where you came from, where you are, and what you can be... and from there, it takes you right out of YOU and says it's not about YOU at all, now that you've cleared up your mess. It's about what you can do for other people, other creatures, the world around you.

I think medieval people who really deeply experienced the pilgrimage went home and changed their homes and towns and churches into places of kindness and giving and service, modeled on what they experienced on their camino. They brought that spirit home with them, and did what they could to recreate it in "the real world." We are obviously having similar "conversions" while on the camino. We just don't get the time and journeying needed to apply them!

So, for the sake of world peace, and the peace of mind of all pilgrims, the airport at Lavacolla should be immediately shut down. All pilgs from now on should walk, paddle, hitchhike, or skateboard back home, or at least as far as Madrid Barajas.

When people ask me how it was, I've been saying that it was wonderful to live life at walking pace, and quoting the story of the explorer who hustled his porters for 2 long days and remonstrated with them on the third when they refused to walk any further. They replied that they could not move, they were waiting for their souls to catch up with their bodies. I think the pace of life does leave us a bit disjointed. It's strange though - before and during my camino - I was focussed on being, and journeying internally so I was content to have people come in and out of my life each day with no thought of initiating contact post-camino. Recently I've been reflecting on some of these folk and appreciating them and wondering about finishing some of the conversations we started - but can only continue by serendipity.

When people ask me how it was, I've been saying that it was wonderful to live life at walking pace, and quoting the story of the explorer who hustled his porters for 2 long days and remonstrated with them on the third when they refused to walk any further. They replied that they could not move, they were waiting for their souls to catch up with their bodies. I think the pace of life does leave us a bit disjointed. It's strange though - before and during my camino - I was focussed on being, and journeying internally so I was content to have people come in and out of my life each day with no thought of initiating contact post-camino. Recently I've been reflecting on some of these folk and appreciating them and wondering about finishing some of the conversations we started - but can only continue by serendipity.
Hi Silvester,
I certainly can associate with the feeling that my body need to wait for my soul to catch up on difficult days on the Camino!
What I think is helpful is to go back over posts on this forum some time after returning and even rereading posts. These reminders help me keep the Camino alive as best I can.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
"We returned to our places, these Kingdoms, But no longer at ease here, in the old dispensation,"
My 'no longer at ease here' manifests itself as a severe case of itchy feet. Maybe some day...

- See more at: http://allpoetry.com/The-Journey-Of-The-Magi#sthash.FUwioXnv.dpuf
Hi Stephen,

Well said! Yes and no.
In one way it helps you understand where you are and in another way can confuse you for a while.......going walking again can be a "cure" but knowing you can go, really go may actually be enough.

I remember that the first weeks my colleagues at work had to adjust... not me ;-)

Wow... can't believe all thes posts!! What a pertinent question though! When I came back, with one of the most experience I have ever lived, I told myself and others that were asking, that I would not go back. Been there, done that. Wonderful, but want to go elsewhere, discover new places, new people... Now, a year later (came back December 3, 2103), I want to go back - will go back. It took a while before I was ready to digest all of it. Sure I thought about it all the time, almost everyday. Didn't show my photos until this past week and just to chosen people. Not sure I want to share all of it, because... not sure why. I think for most of us, the Camino is such a disconnect with our lifes that this is why it is so "disturbing". Even if we like our curretn lives, the life on the Camino seems so "real", so natural, so "the way it should be".... simple. No stress. Firendly. People is also waht really makes the difference... meeting people and sharing the days with people. I assume that a lot of us have a reason to be doing the Camino, so we also bring that back with us - in a different way, transformed, but still we bring it back. The Camino is not a healing process as such. It is the beginning of a process I would say. what you do with it can be even more changing. Did I change when I came back? Of course. But I change every day when I wake up. ... ok, I getting to philosophical and English not being my first language, I'm not sure I make total sense... :0) ... But I know I do...LOL All this to say, all is good, enjoy, take what you can from it, be positive and for sure you are better off having done it than not.... I'm going to Peru in 2015, but planing a second Camino in 2016!! Take care all of you good people!

How do people adjust to home after their return from the Camino?

We don't, we dream about the next one and check the forum to see who is doing what.
This is exactly what I am doing this very moment. :) I got home about a week and a half ago. I've been happy, I've sobbed, I've been really, really grumpy. Talking helps most, this forum helps TONS! Being able to share and advise others is so good. And, looking at silly photos of towns along the way on the Internet are all getting me by.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wow... can't believe all thes posts!! What a pertinent question though! When I came back, with one of the most experience I have ever lived, I told myself and others that were asking, that I would not go back. Been there, done that. Wonderful, but want to go elsewhere, discover new places, new people... Now, a year later (came back December 3, 2103), I want to go back - will go back. It took a while before I was ready to digest all of it. Sure I thought about it all the time, almost everyday. Didn't show my photos until this past week and just to chosen people. Not sure I want to share all of it, because... not sure why. I think for most of us, the Camino is such a disconnect with our lifes that this is why it is so "disturbing". Even if we like our curretn lives, the life on the Camino seems so "real", so natural, so "the way it should be".... simple. No stress. Firendly. People is also waht really makes the difference... meeting people and sharing the days with people. I assume that a lot of us have a reason to be doing the Camino, so we also bring that back with us - in a different way, transformed, but still we bring it back. The Camino is not a healing process as such. It is the beginning of a process I would say. what you do with it can be even more changing. Did I change when I came back? Of course. But I change every day when I wake up. ... ok, I getting to philosophical and English not being my first language, I'm not sure I make total sense... :0) ... But I know I do...LOL All this to say, all is good, enjoy, take what you can from it, be positive and for sure you are better off having done it than not.... I'm going to Peru in 2015, but planing a second Camino in 2016!! Take care all of you good people!
Perfectly said! I am tired of hearing "return to real life," because the Camino was the most real thing I've done in a long time!!!

"I wish someone would come and paint yellow arrows to mark my way."
When I read this my heart sank a little. I think this is how many, many of us feel upon returning.

Nice to see others with the same return " issues":) I found that when you realize what the most important thing in your life is, I feel the Camino is a blessing to have had the opportunity to walk. It will simply be another blessing to have the time to return with any family member(S) or friend(S) in the future.
I feel very lucky to have all of you to discuss the Camino as we are very lucky souls to have made the journey.

I've struggled these last few years, been changed, thoroughly in a hidden way.

God was there but I was in the darkness, unable to see. My heart was suppressed, my tongue pressed down and my throat tightened. In loneliness I'd let the dark in and was going under.

Then I started walking; a day, then two, then eight and I searched for 'long walks' and found a blog on the Camino and was drawn. My heart was a needle compass caught by the Camino.

I dreamt the impossible, three months. My boss was shocked, my manager said 'It's impossible, you won't get it', my director said 'Let me think about it.' I prayed, surprisingly optimistic, and it came, the note "approved."

On my first Camino I was opened up, my heart - a rusty tin with loneliness pain and fear, was hurt. And I slept in a tent in the woods of France, not knowing where you could stay. Ignorant, afraid to ask, not knowing French or assuming they would speak English. Angry. But it was very good. I had lots of time alone on looonng days walking. Dawn to dusk. And slowly I opened up, attuned to natural sounds, the cool of the wind, the smell of rain and earth. And my soul restful opened, I felt, knew, was guided. I 'saw' internally, grew with grace and 'heard' the still inner voice. "I love you." And on the Camino Frances people loved me, helped me on my way, gave me advice, listened and consoled, included me in. It was wonderful.

Then I came home and was surprised, it's not the same anymore, not like the Camino, like life can be. I was shocked, grieving, I cried for weeks. Life had less meaning at home. I had post Camino letdown symptoms. Badly. But, Spanish lessons helped, I read more on the Camino and some French too.

I tried but life was like a void. I was searching, what to do, who I was, where I fit in.

So I went again, this time meeting my brother, shared the way. It was good but different. Not as brutally spiritual, I didn't need the surgery, I needed time. But I was there and present and was loved and loving in return. The Camino taught me. Don't be insane, help people. And I went to Finisterre and knew what it was. The howling wind and setting sun over those tumbling ocean rocks, The End...

And I went home, but now I was tired, not upset or lonely. I knew it was there, in a way the Camino was 'home.' I was paring down my life, no TV, less clothes, less 'things,' less negative people. I felt lighter.

But the Camino wasn't finished with me yet, I felt stronger and called back, to walk with a friend from my first time. It was good, he knew I had changed and told me, 'you are grown, you are not afraid to hug me.' My pack was half the size of the first time. The Camino had helped me grow, and so too God and people on the way. Then I felt called to Portugal after Santiago, a drawing feeling inside. I'd be helped, but to go there. So I went. A few days in cities, a tourist but not enough. So I joined the Portuguese Way near the border. I knew a different way and different people and met some who had dedicated their lives to help others. Who had left everything corporate to serve others. I learnt this, love is everywhere. And a Camino sister convinced me not to rush to Santiago for the fiesta, to let go and I never made it. Some died on a train on their way. God rest their souls. I learnt that some never have the option.

And back home again, and this time less disconnected, more me, surprised I'd clicked, grateful for time off again, grateful more in life. More willing to help others, volunteering at home. Belonging. Willing to try what the Camino and pilgrims had taught me. Love is everywhere if you be it.

Then wanting another Camino. The Via de la Plata in late Summer. Like Australia, dry, hot, in the forties. Roman ruins, a quieter way with black pigs eating acorns. Sometimes I lost the way and learnt, Spain is the the same on and off the way. It taught me calm. That if you can habla, you need to carry less. People will help if you ask. My backpack was half the size of my second time, a quarter of my first.

And the Camino, it's a light in the next room, if you want it, it's a few steps away...

Beautifully put, @michaelwalker . We cannot always physically walk that path in Spain, but we can always be upon it.

It's so touching to read of the power of simply walking and walking simply.
I think that much of the struggle comes from what many here have articulated--the gap between that simplicity and the culture and conventions of our complicated but everyday 21st century lives. So when we go home after a Camino, suddenly there we are, back where we began, seeing the place for the first time (thank you TS Eliot). And as Reb said it happens too fast for easy adjustment. (Walking-lag?)

And anyway, it's a deep process, even without considering that contrast. I live a pretty simple life but was 'blindsided' by my first Camino, thinking it wouldn't be as deep as it was.
Now I know better--and treat re-entering my 'usual' life in the same way as I treat coming out of a long silent meditation retreat: Expecting surprises, and assuming that for each day on the road there will be at least a day needed to integrate whatever happened, probably longer. This year I walked in March/April and am still discovering things (the big toenails that came off thanks to the Zubiri hill have grown back, but the heart is a more complicated place and there are still mysteries to uncover...).

Walking the Camino changes us and going back is neither possible or useful. The trick is to navigate the flow gracefully...not so easy, but totally possible.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
With any luck they don't just have to come back another time

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It is done! I purchased my seat on the plane and will be arriving in Biarritz on October 31st.

I am excited and frightened in equal measure and thanks to all the wonderful insights here I'm adequately prepared, physically - the work starts now to get my head right so that I can "be" my Camino

It is done! I purchased my seat on the plane and will be arriving in Biarritz on October 31st.

I am excited and frightened in equal measure and thanks to all the wonderful insights here I'm adequately prepared, physically - the work starts now to get my head right so that I can "be" my Camino
Best of luck, enjoy.

Why are you repeating this post on multiple old threads?

I added a multiple post to the threads that really helped me to prepare and I wished to acknowledge them and hopefully point newbies back to the threads

I understand now that I should not have done that

They have been deleted

Zombies is a bit strong but it’s your Camino

I’d al

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back