• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do people find time to do the Camino

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
I often wonder, “How do people find time to do the Camino?”

Given part of my job is being the tech support guy to my customers, it is even more dramatic. Can you imagine not being able to log into your account and receiving and auto reply that someone will get back to you in a month? This does not also consider loss sales. I think with remote connection, I will not have to so much work, but maybe direct where they can get help from.

I am putting a strategy in place that allows me to go, the planning for it is as large as planning the trip itself. I won’t bore you with those details though. In addition, I have the additional cost of flying from the USA with 4 days budgeted for traveling.

Unless you are retired, unemployed, financially established or have a job like a school teacher or place that can have someone fill in for you, what are your other options and how do you manage it?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't work, my husband travels all the time and doesn't care if I am home or not since he isn't. The last Camino I walked I was gone for 3 months and he wasn't home that entire time. I am on Trustedhousesitters.com as a housesitter and as a home owner. I have someone coming to stay in my house and care for my dog for 3 months this year.
There are a lot of house sitting gigs in Spain. You could find a place, work from it (can you work remotely?) and walk a leg, find another gig and then walk another leg. You could also work as a hospitalero in a place with wifi.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Chacharm good question, I just edited the post.
If all goes well, I will only have to reply to the most desperate emails if everything is in place and give direction versus actually working. My goal is to maximize disconnection as much as possible, but without anyone being harmed in the process.

Also, great answer, that is really out of the box.

Given part of my job is being the tech support guy to my customers, it is even more dramatic. Can you imagine not being able to log into your account and receiving and auto reply that someone will get back to you in a month? This does not also consider loss sales.

I am putting a strategy in place that allows me to go, the planning for it is as large as planning the trip itself. I won’t bore you with those details though. In addition, I have the additional cost of flying from the USA with 4 days budgeted for traveling.

Unless you are retired, unemployed, financially established or have a job like a school teacher or place that can have someone fill in for you, what are your other options and how do you manage it?
in my experience - for such endeavours, one does not 'find' time ... one 'takes' it.
unfortunately i know about the obscene vacation 'treatments' here in the USA (japan seems to be worse in regards of # of taken holidays) and in europe it is much more civilized in my view/experience in this regard ... but even here i managed to go to europe for a month even when working.
i was fine with accepting days off without pay - and would do it again.
and of course i would only be working at places that aren't totally deranged and would expect employees to check email / do work while on vacation.
i managed by living a simple life (for eg my car is 12 yrs old, well maintained, 115K miles and i am not in the market for a new one yet... don't need the 'new' nor crave the latest 'must have item'.)
it perhaps comes down to values and priority. i value simplicity and time away from a work-place (and value my work when i am there, of course) - and by holding an intention inwardly.
when in portugal a few years ago on a seminar, a presenter had a quote on his desktop that said;
"If its important to you , you will find a way.
If not, you will find an excuse."

That resonated with me quite strongly - and it's now in my li'l book of quotes.
and sometimes life-circumstances speak a very clear language as well .... if one is a single parent of 3 school-age kids, working 2 jobs ... it's hardly very wise nor mature, to insist that life provides the opportunity to go on a 4-5 week pilgrimage.
then one waits, ... everything has an expiration date, just like yoghurt.
last year i finally embarked on the pilgrimage that had called me for a loooong time ... - after about 5 months of unemployment and still no job prospects ... i decided to go for that leap of faith ...
wishing you happy planning and much joy while on the camino -- buen camino!!!

Citrix Receiver and a tablet with Bluetooth keyboard. I'm from the US, and business is just starting when I get done walking, closing up when I'm ready for bed. I can log into my workstation back in Illinois from anywhere that has WiFi.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Retired early from a high paying job, because there is more to life than money. The work was fine for many years, but when you get older, you really have to weigh income vs lost opportunity......how many years do I have left to do some of these things I love doing and what will I sell another year for? I doubt many people die thinking "gosh, I wish I had spent more years at the office".

Ironically, we made as much money doing some of our projects in retirement as we did working full time, plus can take off for a couple of months any time we want. Lucky? certainly, but you can't get lucky without taking some chances.

Given part of my job is being the tech support guy to my customers, it is even more dramatic. Can you imagine not being able to log into your account and receiving and auto reply that someone will get back to you in a month? This does not also consider loss sales. I think with remote connection, I will not have to so much work, but maybe direct where they can get help from.

My job sounds very similar to yours but there are 5 people on our team. It will be tough on them when I am gone but I deal with the same thing when each of them are on vacation. Fortunately I have been with the company for long enough to earn 5 weeks vacation per year and can take another week off without pay.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I sometimes dislike my trade as a carpenter. But I have to be grateful that I can choose the jobs I want and work practically anywhere. Not so much when I was union, the pay was terrific but I didn't have the freedom. Still, I have to save and "make" time. My ex-wife was IT. So I understand your trouble with being away. It limited our ability to travel for long periods together. I have faith that with a bunch of planning and a little luck you'll work it out in the near future.
Buen Camino

Before my Camino I left my job, because I wanted to fulfill my dream and I didn't know how much time I will need for it. That's all! Now I'm back at work, my company took me back and everyone is happy! :) I wanna walk again asap and I'm ready to leave my job, if it will be necessary. Camino is my life!

You need to work for understanding people and have great people working for you. My company and my immediate boss have been very supportive. Then there's my deputy who has stepped up and given me his support and that of his wife, who's expecting, to go away for seven weeks walking across Spain while he has to cover for me. Sometimes I don't realise how fortunate I am to have such good people behind me

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

First off, only about 10% of people do the whole trail. Second, many people do it over multiple seasons. The first day I caught up to a young man from Norway who was doing the first half in 12 days plus a couple travel days. Many folks from Ireland who had limited time were doing it over multiple years. Of course a large number only do the last 100 miles or so. Seems like most that do the whole thing do find a way to get the five weeks off if they are working age but many are people who are retired, business owners, students or between jobs. I did it in three weeks but I do not recommend that to most folks ( plus the travel time from the states)

Only 10% do the whole trail? Where did you get that number? And what is the "whole" trail? Where does that start?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I some data posted from the Pilgrim office. When I say whole trail I meant from St.Jean. Of course the number could be less when accounting for those who quit, those who grab a bus or car to avoid the Meseta, or bad weather etc.
I believe the percent of those arriving in Santiago and getting verified who did the total walk in one go from St. Jean is low. But perhaps the data were wrong.
I thought it funny watching people running into a bar to get a stamp and then hopping into a car to drive to get another stamp. In the States many people have told me they did the Camino but after questioning them they had started in Pamplona, Bourgos, Leon or Sarria.

In the States many people have told me they did the Camino but after questioning them they had started in Pamplona, Bourgos, Leon or Sarria.

I just cant imagine it is only 10%. Thats nothing. It feels like it should be more if i just compare it to the people i've met and many of them walk from sj to sdc.

So, by what your saying, you did not walk the camino when your starting from Pamplona, Burgos ect? Hmmm. That does not sound right to me. Better not tell that to the Spanish pilgrims. I am sure they would disagree as well :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No. Anyone can do anything they wish to. I think many folks would have others believe they did the St. Jean to Santiago portion when they did not.
I was surprised at how commercial it had become. Groups of people having their whole trip planned by an agent and having trunk loads of clothes shipped ahead, groups of young people treating it like a college Spring break, groups of bikers, people thinking that one author's stages had to be followed etc. Fortunately, it was still easy to avoid the waves of people and to find solitude for long stretches and to find empty places to stay.

Im a welder by trade and working in the one company for 14 years you get benefits. At 10 years you get 8.5 weeks LSL (long service leave). At 15 years if you havent taken LSL at 10 years , you get 12 weeks LSL. Couldnt wait for my 15 years, so Im taking my 10 years LSL. However Im taking another week and a half annual leave to take it up to 10 weeks off. And having not taken a holiday longer than a week since 2009, I need it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am a Catholic priest, and had not taken a weekend off for personal time in almost three years (from the time I walked the Camino in the spring of 2012 until I walked the Camino again in January of this year). It is very, very difficult for me to find a replacement for the weekends - I serve in the Diocese of Jackson in Mississippi and we have a very acute shortage of priests. I had to reschedule the three weeks I needed off to go to the Camino, but I was very determined to go this winter. In fact, I was so close to getting burned out, I would not have good for anything or anyone had I not taken that time to go on the Camino. It is hard getting time off, but I made it a priority. I approached the Camino this time as a spiritual retreat, and I was a life saver for me.

I wish I could take the time off to walk from SJPdP but I simply cannot. We will walk next year starting from Ponferrada. I will be away from my job for 2 1/2 weeks which is the maximum I can allow. If I am in any shape to walk all the way after I retire in 8 years, I will do so. If not, oh well. I did what I could.

The bigger issue is finding family to watch the house, the deaf/blind dog and my 89 year old mother while we're away in Europe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First off, only about 10% of people do the whole trail. Second, many people do it over multiple seasons. The first day I caught up to a young man from Norway who was doing the first half in 12 days plus a couple travel days. Many folks from Ireland who had limited time were doing it over multiple years. Of course a large number only do the last 100 miles or so. Seems like most that do the whole thing do find a way to get the five weeks off if they are working age but many are people who are retired, business owners, students or between jobs. I did it in three weeks but I do not recommend that to most folks ( plus the travel time from the states)
As Dutch said , 10% / the whole trail? ?? How did you came at 10 % ?? and what is the whole trail in your opinion. ?? For some is the whole trail the last 100km, for others is that from SJPDP and for some is that from home . Take your pick, Peter.

I'm an ER Nurse, taking 2 months leave of absence to walk starting in SJPP, Sept/Oct 2015. I simply told my supervisor I love my job and I want to stay, ... and.. I have this incredible opportunity and need 8-10 weeks leave... she said you get 2 months... :) I'm happy. I'll be walking solo and am super excited :) melanie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some of us just get old and...
outlive our responsibilities.
I walked for 2 weeks in 2012 but couldn't do a longer trip until my mother died (at 91) and I retired from work. In 2014 I walked from SJPP to Sahagun but left at that halfway point when my father-in-law died (at 98). Now I'm in the oldest generation (but far from that age) and am free to go again in October for 7 weeks.

Australians work hard while they are at work (statistically we do an increasing number of unpaid hours) but we do all have at least 4 weeks annual leave which can be accumulated. And a marvellous thing called long service leave - as @hunsta mentioned above. It has its origins in the days when the trip to Europe ("home") was by boat and took months. It still takes us days to get there, but at least not weeks.

We make time. But at the same time I am aware that we are among the privileged few in the world who do not live at subsistence level. Most people do not have the luxury of free time, but are struggling to survive.

Being a free-lance film&TV director makes easier for me to take leave whatever the lenght. Of course there's one major problem and that's the money. Since the start of recent financial crisis in EU the austerity measures are so harsh that I have to minimize my expences down to very basic to be able going on Camino. And of course that's only possible in summer months when there's "dead season" on national TV broadcaster for my line of work (mostly documentaries & multi-cam projects). But I guess I'm very lucky as I will leave for Valencia and Camino de Levante (+ Sanabres + Muxia/Fisterra) in 2,5 months and this will be my fourth Camino in last 7 years :)

How do you take your holidays WldWil? What happens if yu take a 2 week off, or is that difficult too?
In my (european?) view, in every healthy organisation it is possible to replace anyone for any time. People can get ill, a different job, needs holiday, get children, and...need to do camino's sometimes. As a teammanager I do take care for that in my own team, and I feel it as my duty to be able to be replaced any moment. For me this is part of being a healthy organisation. For me the same counts for self employed people. Is there really no one who can give the tech support when you are gone?

So for myself, I can take 4 weeks holidays every year on which I can do camino's. For many years it was my wish to walk to SdC from home which takes about four months. After 'some talks' with my manager (was at the edge of a burnout) I take a 7 month leave from which half is unpaid, starting next month. I have plenty of time for my trip and many more months too!

I had to save money to be able to do so and I don't know how my job looks like when I get back. It took me 5 years to get to take this distance from my job (it's only a job... ;))and to be able to arrange it like this. I'm ready now!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I enjoyed reading all the responses, I am retired I walked from SjPP in 2013 and again in 2014 this year I am staying in OZ, but I am taking 70 days to kayak the Murray river over 2000k and in 2016 I will be back walking the Camino. So my advice is simple we have a certain amount of time some less than others so sit back and think do I want to work and wait till I retire which may not happen or if you get to say 65 you may have a problem with health or such so I say if you have 2 weeks leave take 4 on half pay if you 4 weeks take 8 on half pay or just talk to your boss and family and try to explain that is important to you to go on a pilgrimage to Santiago, if the boss is so money driven maybe you should say bye and follow your heart because when you do walk the Camino you will realize want is important. I hope you find a way.

Blessed retirement.
Wayfarer, I noticed last year you say almost Orrisson what happened, as I walked it last year 2nd Sept.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm very happy to be able to walk the Camino this year. I retired in 2014 after working 37 years from a great job that I really enjoyed. I have a pension which pays all of my living expenses. I finally have my two kids through University and self supporting. But before retiring it would have been impossible to leave work and family for more than 2-3 weeks. Now there are no responsibilities holding me back that I can't plan and deal with.

I feel I need to make up for lost time so I'm taking 7 weeks, starting April 15 to walk from SJPdP to Santiago. I'm really looking forward to this time alone to reflect on my life and think about what I want to do in the future.

The stats I would like to know is the percentage of "just retired" people doing the Camino. I guess that if we could put aside the July-August season (that is, student's vacations) their number would be around 10% Usually quiet, rather reserved persons, that after some days of shared walk can tell interesting stories.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The simple answer for me is that my wife and I worked hard in high stress jobs and were extremely fortunate to be able to retire while we were fairly young. We decided we were tired of working hard to make ungrateful rich people even richer so when we had enough, we dropped out rat race to spend half our time helping the less fortunate, half our time scuba diving and half our time travelling. That keeps us busy 150% of the time. When we retired, we also committed to being in shape at least one time a year so we agreed to do either an annual trek or mountain climb. The Camino fills two of our objectives so we are actually saving time by doing it!

It depends whether you have a career and/or a vocation I guess. Luckily I have neither. My husband and I are gardeners and we work v hard when we work - but then we live quite frugally and manage to take chunks of time out to travel. Our clients understand that we need our time out - and are happy to make alternative arrangements when we are away. We also decided to simplify our lives (as so many of us do after a Camino!) so have sold all the excess rubbish gathered in life, we are finishing all the building bits and pieces so that we can rent out our home and live in a caravan in our garden! Then we will be able to choose when and how we work (charity, helpx, woofers) and have all the time to take adventures and follow Caminos... It does help if you are not lucky enough to have children too!
Seriously tho' we all choose our path in life - we need to be alert and thoughtful when we make the decisions that then impact the rest of our lives. I am not sure that I have been as alert as I ought to have been - but I have been incredibly lucky and extremely pig-headed and it is working out fine!

I do contract work and each project can be anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 or 4 months. Also the random 1 or 2 day contract. I'm fortunate to have worked for many years primarily for one company. I can now choose projects and arrange my work season in a way that allows for the time off and the time to save the funds that I need to walk. I choose the route that will fit within the varied time I will have available. For most of my career, my travel was usually work based (which was great!), but now I am so grateful to be able to just wander and explore on my own time.

Hi WidWil. It's a good question that we wondered about for nearly 30 years. Then a surprising gap in our lives appeared - early retirement, last child through uni, parents either died or having good residential care and grandchild responsibilities temporarily lifted because of daughter's maternity leave with newish baby. So we seized the moment .... Or the six weeks of them! Worth the wait! Hope you don't have to wait so long and that your planning works.

How do you take your holidays WldWil? What happens if yu take a 2 week off, or is that difficult too?
In my (european?) view, in every healthy organisation it is possible to replace anyone for any time. People can get ill, a different job, needs holiday, get children, and...need to do camino's sometimes. As a teammanager I do take care for that in my own team, and I feel it as my duty to be able to be replaced any moment. For me this is part of being a healthy organisation. For me the same counts for self employed people. Is there really no one who can give the tech support when you are gone?
I have never taken off two weeks. I have gone to Canada for a week at a time without Internet. But never two weeks. There is a big difference when you are not part of an organization that is either big enough to let you go or replace you while gone.

I am the organization and team manager and owner, etc..... The lights are basically out when I am gone. I am in the process of hiring someone right now to reduce this. I will skip the list of what that involves with insurances, additional government taxes, costs and regulations. Even if I found someone that could relatively do what I do, I would have to share passwords and access to most all my clients accounts, emails and some financial institutions.

Part of my business success is what I do and many others cannot or at least not as well. I also am flying from the USA which adds another 4 days of travel. My plans to go from Sept 2-20 is a huge leap. My plans (which could change again) are to start in SJPP and get to wherever I go (My target is Sahagun, but I want to be part of the Camino, not just travel across it) and return the following year to return and end in Santiago. (It is also a good excuse to go twice)

I gave serious thought of doing a single shorter trip from perhaps Leon and even starting in Pamplona and skipping some sections. This may be a once in a lifetime trip for me and I would prefer to think I did my best to make it my best (I would hope to repeat someday, if possible)

In conclusion, my goal is to achieve the greatest level of disconnect I can reasonably obtain without to high of price and be more fully immersed in the Camino. Part of the plan to achieve this goal is:
Work reduction and/or management
Studying of culture and History
Light conversational Spanish (I knew only vino tinto last October)
Physical preparation
Gear preparation
Spiritual preparation
Let go and let God

At this point it is the Finding, Making or Taking of time that is still a concern. I am grateful that I at least have an opportunity to do this, where I am sure many others do not. That is something we should all be thankful for.

PS. I really have enjoyed the responses to this thread and hope other continue to share as well..

In my job we are a team of 60+ people, there is always somebody on a vacation, maternity leave, paternity leave, sick leave, etc, and its the bosses job to distribute and redistribute the heavy workload. Its considered bon ton to allow the parents of schoolchildren to take their vacations during school holidays, and not to grab ALL the bridges between holidays and weekends or simply shorter weeks around holidays. Once when we discussed the vacation opportunities with my boss she said that she has to give a vacation to me anyway, it doesn't matter to her when, just I have to make my reservation soon enough before the total number of vacations doesn't exceed the set limit. And May-June isn't in the peak of popularity in our office. Most people like July, August and around X-mas. I'm nice enough to volunteer for on-call-duty during X-mas when most want to go away from the country. Never heard anybody complain they didn't get a vacation when they planned. I knew I'm going to walk el Camino already years ago. Started by getting the right gear, like microfibre t-shirts instead of cotton ones, saved up the vacation days (can transfer limited amount from previous year). So now step by step I'm ready. Children out of home in universities, parents coping on their own (thank God), dogs will spend their vacation with my daughter (the same who is at a uni, she has her own dog also). Tickets both ways bought. Orisson booked. The "Camino will provide" phenomenon has already started: a friend is coming to live at my apartment while I'm gone, she gets a job in my town and needs somewhere for the start. Perfect.

I have never taken off two weeks. I have gone to Canada for a week at a time without Internet. But never two weeks. There is a big difference when you are not part of an organization that is either big enough to let you go or replace you while gone.

I am the organization and team manager and owner, etc..... The lights are basically out when I am gone. I am in the process of hiring someone right now to reduce this. I will skip the list of what that involves with insurances, additional government taxes, costs and regulations. Even if I found someone that could relatively do what I do, I would have to share passwords and access to most all my clients accounts, emails and some financial institutions.

Part of my business success is what I do and many others cannot or at least not as well. I also am flying from the USA which adds another 4 days of travel. My plans to go from Sept 2-20 is a huge leap. My plans (which could change again) are to start in SJPP and get to wherever I go (My target is Sahagun, but I want to be part of the Camino, not just travel across it) and return the following year to return and end in Santiago. (It is also a good excuse to go twice)

I gave serious thought of doing a single shorter trip from perhaps Leon and even starting in Pamplona and skipping some sections. This may be a once in a lifetime trip for me and I would prefer to think I did my best to make it my best (I would hope to repeat someday, if possible)

In conclusion, my goal is to achieve the greatest level of disconnect I can reasonably obtain without to high of price and be more fully immersed in the Camino. Part of the plan to achieve this goal is:
Work reduction and/or management
Studying of culture and History
Light conversational Spanish (I knew only vino tinto last October)
Physical preparation
Gear preparation
Spiritual preparation
Let go and let God

At this point it is the Finding, Making or Taking of time that is still a concern. I am grateful that I at least have an opportunity to do this, where I am sure many others do not. That is something we should all be thankful for.

PS. I really have enjoyed the responses to this thread and hope other continue to share as well..

Hi WldWil, thanks for sharing your thoughts and considerations. I wish you can manage work according to your needs and wish you a wonderful camino!

WldWil, I hope you can get everything organized for your business while you are walking. It should be do-able. I walked SJPP to Sahagun last fall (3 weeks) and thought it was enough time to get a good taste of the pilgrim experience.

If you have never taken 2 weeks off before, it will be eye-opening even though you will be somewhat connected. I'd really like to read any thoughts you could post afterwards about how/if the Camino experience has changed your approach to your career.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A 3 months unpaid leave. I didn't dare to quit my job. It took me 3 years to find this opportunity. My camino will be in between two assignments, so no one at work will miss me (workwise). No spouse, no kids. Only two cats and a mortgage to take care of. I realise I am lucky!

WldWil, here's an idea out of the box.......how about taking two or three MONTHS and going slowly but working at the same time. You'll find wifi just about everywhere, so you could do a couple of hour's work every day and no-one need even know you were gone!

It was easy for me because I was two years in retirement when we went. I met people that had to stop their Camino to go back to work. They complete their Caminos bit by bit. There is nothing wrong with that if you can do it. It's difficult to plan the Camino while you are still working unless you can save up your vacation time. I think there comes a time when you know you have to make this journey. Then you do everything in your power to make it happen or time passes you by. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
..... "jubilados" are retirees.....
What a FABULOUS word for a retiree which resonates with celebrating the next chapter of one's life. A chapter I'm going to be opening in just a little over five months time. I can't wait for it - nor beginning my first (of what I hope will be many) Camino.
Suzanne :) :)

Yes - Jubilados is a much nicer word for retirees. I have relatives and friends who say 'You stop working you sit down and die' - I find that awful! To retire from work means you can fill your life with all the activities you have tried fitting around work before now. If you are lucky enough to be fairly healthy, allowing for limits set by available funds - you should embrace it surely? Having spent many years being disabled and dreaming from my armchair - I can only think of work as a means to an end - not an end itself. Obviously it is different for those with a vocation.
I think I will use the term Jubilados instead of retirees - it makes me look forward with glee!

Hmmm...I am retired for six years now as an international salesmanager.busy job ,traveling around Europe all the time
Since then I am busier as ever... Our diary is full..3 times a week to the sportsgym to keep fit for the daily life and specially the next caminho which is coming soon.
Family affairs, Playing golf, making music as a semi professional now as guitarist in a bigband, double bass player in several jazzgroups and a Klezmer orchestra. Volontairy helping Spanish and Portugese talking people learning the Dutch language as part of their integration here. Volonteer in a theater. Studying Portugese once a week at school....writing this all I start hyperventilation ..my goodness.. I still must do so many things.
Just booked our flights for our third caminho Português. End of april coming..
We just leave after some musical gigs and be home again just before some others end of May and beginning of June..:) we have no time for holidays or leasure time :):p
We all do it ourselves. Nothing to complain about . But sometimes it worries me being a pensionado. For every appointment whatever it is we need to consult our common diary's . Life is though.. Looking forward to walk in peace and silence to Santiago. Wish you all the best.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I had to quit my job, but I was going to do that anyway. My last day was a Friday and I was on the plane to Spain that following Tuesday.

Yes - Jubilados is a much nicer word for retirees. I have relatives and friends who say 'You stop working you sit down and die' - I find that awful! To retire from work means you can fill your life with all the activities you have tried fitting around work before now. If you are lucky enough to be fairly healthy, allowing for limits set by available funds - you should embrace it surely? Having spent many years being disabled and dreaming from my armchair - I can only think of work as a means to an end - not an end itself. Obviously it is different for those with a vocation.
I think I will use the term Jubilados instead of retirees - it makes me look forward with glee!
" aposentado " is the Portugese word for "jubilado " when a Brasilean pronounces it, it sounds like bossa nova and samba music :)

I can't hardly imagine anymore I worked in a strict regime and discipline.
I never regretted I stopped a very interesting and well paid job .now I have time for myself and do what I want. The next caminho iswaiting. 44days left before we go off !
Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
WldWil, here's an idea out of the box.......how about taking two or three MONTHS and going slowly but working at the same time. You'll find wifi just about everywhere, so you could do a couple of hour's work every day and no-one need even know you were gone!
Actually, I thought about that as well. I might have someone at home missing me a bit to much though as I am going solo.. ;)

I have the blessing to go though and tickets bought. This means not if, but how. The how continues to get better though as well.

I just found some time :) Going on a whim. Will arrive in Pamplona this wednesday:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Seems like I will be one of the younger ones on the camino in the next few weeks...! I am lucky enough to have a partner that financially can support me while on a 6 months unpaid leave (it was either that or sick leave). Always wanted to walk the camino and now is good time, both time wise and emotionally.

Seems like I will be one of the younger ones on the camino in the next few weeks...!
Age is of little importance on the Camino. Connectivity is... I am 61: Got a message from a 23-years old Dutch if we could meet again in Santiago in May... We will.

Should say: A very reflected young male who learned a lot about himself on his first Camino last year. Now going for his second. He has become one of us lost causes...

My girlfriend doesn't mind... ;)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The person who invented work could not possibly have had much to fill his days with...
Probably not :)
I wonder who invented "work":p
How could be life without... ? Just like natives.. A bit hunting... Sleeping..eating ...and other things we'd like to do... No monetairy system.. Just catch a swine in the wood, make fire...etc.etc.. But I am afraid for us here in northern and western Europe like you and me , it is too cold. We have to keep ourselves warm so we must do something.. But I fancy the idea of laying in a hammock between two palmtrees...:D Other thoughts I leave in our imagination :p
Bom caminho

Actually, I thought about that as well. I might have someone at home missing me a bit to much though as I am going solo.. ;)

I have the blessing to go though and tickets bought. This means not if, but how. The how continues to get better though as well.
Take it from me - leaving someone at home for three months is too long!!! I did it last year (and hubby actually came over for a couple of weeks to walk with the kids and me, but it was a long six weeks after he went home)
That said, I'm not against the idea of doing it again!

Only 10% do the whole trail? Where did you get that number? And what is the "whole" trail? Where does that start?
In medieval times, the trail started where you lived, and it ended where you lived. In other words, people walked out of their front doors, to Santiago (and Fisterra), and then back home again. For most, the only means of transport used were boats and ships (to cross lakes in Switzerland, rivers in Spain and the sea from England). I do appreciate that this is a little difficult for Australians and Americans. Maybe that's why the Middle Ages ended in 1492, when America was discovered. Okay, I know, it was the Caribbean...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

WldWil, this is my first post/reply since joining the forum. I too am self employed and have client list that occasionally has emergencies (at least to the client). We both seem to be in costumer service to some degree. The most I have taken off is 2 weeks. Even at that, I took my laptop and knew where the wifi connections were. I also left a phone message (indicating to e-mail) and auto reply on e-mail that I was unavailable and would reply asap. For emergencies that required a warm body (which there is only one or two of), I left a colleague's number. Obviously I trusted him. I did this from Hawaii, France, St. John, Yellowstone, Smokey Mountains, ... So for my first Camino Primitivo, I will be out of pocket for 20 days. This time I am leaving my laptop with my colleague and will compensate for the accepting all calls and e-mails. If the client can wait, I will get to them when I get back. Otherwise, he will take care of it. I am sure it will take me a few days to finally let go and enjoy the Camino. It is a control issue, it is our livelihood. But I also trust the relationship that I have built with my clients. Find your comfort level, even it means finding the wifi, to stop and check in. Allow yourself the peace to walk and enjoy. This is my mantra for now. I am also thinking that once I put my first step down, it is out of my control and darn well better make the most out of a great opportunity that I have chosen to take on over all other choices.
Good luck

Retirement. Inheritance. Bank robbery without being caught.
One thing I would never ever do is take work (or other commitments) with me on the Camino. To me, pilgrimage is about getting away from things, not taking them along.
Hmmm, bank robbery, walk from Sarria, get a compostella and all your sins are forgiven, isn't it? :D

Take it from me - leaving someone at home for three months is too long!!! I did it last year (and hubby actually came over for a couple of weeks to walk with the kids and me, but it was a long six weeks after he went home)
That said, I'm not against the idea of doing it again!
I agree. Leaving someone at home is tough. The year I was planning my wedding I flew 3000 miles away to Seattle USA for 3+ months to build a house. Bad idea. My wings got clipped for awhile when I got back. Lol. But it was hard for both of us

I love this thread.

Honestly, since I was in my early thirties, I've set myself up to be able to leave work if I need to. Initially, I was self-employed as a publisher and entrepreneur working with NGO's (non-government organizations), as well as working for an Australian college system (TAFE / IDP). Everything has its price though; I was working and living in sunny Cambodia, not always the most accommodating of locales, although certainly intriguing. Never a dull moment....AK47's going off during rain storms, et cetera.

My most restrictive job environment yet--for some time now--has been (for twelve years) as a secondary education teacher here in the USA. I teach English, and also ran the activities and student government program at the high school where I teach (for about six years). Even as a teacher, however, I've been exceptionally fortunate with some long paid holidays, and the days that aren't paid, I still have off. I have my paychecks set up in twelve portions, so that although I did not technically get paid during the summer, I drew a paycheck.

My summers off ran about ten weeks per year, and this is how I have been able to survive life in the USA--where people often elevate work (or they are in a position in which they become indebted to the plastic gods, or they need to work at a certain place for insurance, or every member of the household must work so that the bills are paid and food is put on the table).

I am excited to be retiring the first week of June. Here's the cool news: when I was in my 20's, I got very lucky and had a job with the state of Oregon. Those state hours, plus my current state hours = a decent pension. I won't have lots of money, but enough to travel. I will also be a substitute teacher, and that's going to be some good travel revenue too.

A notation: learn to live as simply as you can, to have the money to travel. I saved money in my twenties and early thirties to hit the road, and never regretted it.

Last edited:
There were two things that allowed me to walk my caminho. First was my local pilgrims group where I met someone who talked to me about the Portuguese route and told me I could feel like I had done a real walk in my two weeks of vacation. More important, though, was an understanding and supportive boss who said go and walk, nothing else really mattered, everything in the office would wait for a couple of weeks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

For me, it was something I just had to do that year in that specific month. It was a sudden and strong urge or calling to do it even though I had heard of it years previously and hadn't given it much thought until then. I figured if it was meant to be it would happen. I asked at work and luckily I got the leave I asked for. It did take a bit of effort though. We arranged it so that I could bundle a few extra weeks leave into the year I chose to go. This was not normal practice at work so the Camino definitely provided on this occasion. I kinda feel that if people really want to do it and the time is right they will find a way. Best of luck!

We waited until we were retired to have time to walk and it was a great start to retirement. Waiting to start our 5th Camino later this year. :)

I have a regular Mon-Fri (modestly paid !!) job but am fortunate to live in Ireland so have easy access to the Camino (one 2 hour flight !).

This May I will return to the Camino Frances for the 3rd time.In 2011 I spent 16 days walking(and 20 days in total) from Astorga to Santiago and then from Cee to Muxia.In 2013 I spent 12 days walking(and 15 days in total) from St Jean to Belorado and in May 2015 I plan to complete the CF by spending 12 days walking(15 days in total) from Belorado to Astorga where my journey first started in 2011 ! The most important thing for me (apart from having 24 days of annual leave !) was to have a supportive family who encouraged and supported me on every step of my Camino adventures. My family often remark how they notice how my eyes light up when I talk about the Camino and how a smile always spreads across my face ! My family have totally embraced how much the Camino has impacted on and become a part of me and my wife will be meeting me in Santiago at the end of my 2015 Camino and we plan to spend a few days there together. This will be a fitting end to my 2015 Camino for without her support and encouragement I may just have simply remained talking about the Camino instead of WALKING the Camino !

I suppose what I really started out to say is that repeated visits of between 12-15 days ,for me, is my way of walking the Camino while holding down a job.In the not too distant future when retirement is a reality I would hope to be able to commit to a full 5-6 week continuous Camino but for now I'm just fortunate and blessed to be able to fulfil my Camino dreams ,bit by bit and journey by journey and I can honestly say that each step to date has been memorable and enriching.

Best regards and Buen Camino to all,

P

repeated visits of between 12-15 days ,for me, is my way of walking the Camino while holding down a job.In the not too distant future when retirement is a reality I would hope to be able to commit to a full 5-6 week continuous Camino but for now I'm just fortunate and blessed to be able to fulfil my Camino dreams ,bit by bit and journey by journey and I can honestly say that each step to date has been memorable and enriching.

That's my experience too Peadar. Short stints for now, but I look forward being able to do a full Camino when work and other commitments lessen. Counting the days until we (husband and I) complete the Frances in June.

I did the whole minimalist thing, got rid of everything. And I mean everything but I still have a TV. I Scrimp n save and now hope to do a camino every year. Once you do a camino it tends to change life's perspectives a bit.

Oh, that was easy, I just developed an autoimmunic disease (probably caused by stress) and got myself hospitalized for some time. Thanks to that I couldn't go on annual leave so I saved a bunch of days :)

I am really sorry to hear that you got ill and had to be hospitalized. That must have been hard, but what a great thing to be able to go on Camino. Kind of a nice salve over a bad burn? I hope that your health is good now, and that you are happy and well. Any trips planned?

I am really sorry to hear that you got ill and had to be hospitalized. That must have been hard, but what a great thing to be able to go on Camino. Kind of a nice salve over a bad burn? I hope that your health is good now, and that you are happy and well. Any trips planned?

Oh, heartly thanks for the sympathy :) Everything is fine now, this was in 2011. I need more sleep than before this happened, apart from that I'm fully recovered. I'd really like to go back to Spain (and I will some day), but not any time soon I'm afraid. The Levante has drawn my attention (and the Sultan's Trail). Have a great camino!

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.