• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you continue if you are injured

Pieces

Veteran Member
Finally finished with exams I have the energy to focus on the fact that I will begin walking in just under 2 weeks.

Having had both a job and been studying I have had absolutely no practice walks what-so-ever which leaves me a bit apprehensive (and with shoes that hasn't been broken in)

Thing is that I was injured last year while practicing but decided to go anyways and did about 500 km in 3 weeks, some in pain and some not. However, I did have days before leaving on which I was hardly able to stand on my left leg, which concerns me a bit as I am having diffuse pains in the same region even as we speak and without having really used the leg.

I do have two appointments with my physiotherapist next week and a hotline for me to call her in case, but even then...

Obviously there are options should the worst happen, but I am thinking that people may have genious ides to consider about what to do if I can't really move...

my current thoughts are along these lines

Walk every day to the next albergue only (but that will leave me with new friends every day)

Get hold of a bike if I can bike, but I don't really like biking as much as walking

Find somewhere to hang out for a while (options would be appreciated)

Find an albergue that would appreciate my help with bits and pieces (free of charge obviously, but bed and food would be nice though not a condition) would anyone know of places that would appreciate this ?

*your ideas here*

am leaving Orrisson on June 16th

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Pieces,

This is a really tough post to answer and I will do my very best as 1) a physiotherapist and 2) a pelegrina who walked over 100 km last summer with a tibia and pelvic fracture (unaware at the time.

1) My physio hat says that you should seriously discuss your complaints with your physio and try to get to the root of your problem (is it a muscle problem, joint issue, a stress fracture...?). Diffuse pain without activity should be a concern.
I could ask you the typical questions I would ask a patient but your physio will do this as well as examine you. Do this ASAP as your departure date is fast approaching.

The fact that you are not well trained should not in itself be a problem if you start out easy going and listen to your body. Walk shorter distances than you may be used to. Take rest days even as a preventative measure. I always say that muscle aches and pains are normal and to be expected, some joint pain too. Constant pain that does not let up and continues in rest is not!
my current thoughts are along these lines

Walk every day to the next albergue only (but that will leave me with new friends every day)

Depends WHY you are walking (a WHOLE other topic I know). I walked long distances during my first Camino and so was contantly meeting new people. I still had a great Camino. But this was by choice not because I was in pain or injured. I was pleased to have the solitary time to myself.

Get hold of a bike if I can bike, but I don't really like biking as much as walking

I so wanted to return to the Camino this summer that I too debated the whole bike thing. I live in The Netherlands and bike daily right? I can do this. Finally I talked sense into myself as to bike the Camino you definately need to be trained, have the correct equipment and know how to use it! And I also realized that for me it would be a poor substitute for walking. In my heart the Camino = walking. What about for you?

Find somewhere to hang out for a while (options would be appreciated)

Find an albergue that would appreciate my help with bits and pieces (free of charge obviously, but bed and food would be nice though not a condition) would anyone know of places that would appreciate this ?

Maybe someone else can help you with this...I am going the "official" route in July by working as a hospitalera in Grañón.

2) July 2011 I walked from Sevilla to Montamarta or about 600 km in three weeks. 10 days into the walk I developed right knee pain - bothersome but I was not really concerned. I taped up my knee, took a diclofenac and was set to go or so I thought. A few days later the pain was pretty intense with weight-bearing but once again 1 or 2 diclofenac and after 1/2 walking I was okay. Every morning I would say to my walking buddy (met on day 1) that I needed 15-20 min to get going. About 10 days later my left hip started acting up and within 3 days I was just barely able to stand on the leg. And still I had no idea that I had a fracture(s). I will not go into detail here of my hospitalization, operation and rehab but I had to learn a painful lesson (in more ways than 1).

Try to get an earlier appointment with your physio and don't hesitate to send me a PM if I can be of any help.

Good luck either way and let us know!

Cheers,
LT

Thanks LT

well I think part of what i enjoyed last year was the meeting and reemeeting of new camino friends, even if I did decide to mostly walk on my own during the day so...

I have been seeing my physio on a regular basis, just skipping this week so I could do some test walks & spinal exercises before next visit (which I didn't get around to yet) :oops:

She thinks it may be my skiatica as I have pains from my lower back though the but & hips to just above my knees, in part due to a very unflexible spine (am tall and skinny and thus quite stiff), she also thinks that while I may be in a lot of pain there is no risk of permanent damage...

but I do know what you are saying about listening to your body, if I had done better when this first all started I might have not still have been having problems 14 months after (was also x-rayed for stressfractures, diagnosed with bursitis and a ton of other things then got a whiplash injury last december just to top things up (this just has not been my year))

the pain DID give a bit last year after the first 200km and usually I am fine in the mornings (apart from the normal pains)

and I agree, the camino is for walking !

maybe I will see you in granon, I will be the one crawling :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well it looks like you've got things under control...well almost: do your exercises :D !

Unless you are indeed crawling (which is o.k.) I probably won't see you as I will be there from the evening of June 30th to the morning of July 16th.

Good luck en buen camino!

I don't know your planned route, but I would strongly suggest starting from Roncesvalles and not St Jean if you can, even if it means taking a bus/taxi for that first stage. 27kms in unbroken in boots seems a perfect way to give yourself blisters which will plague you for the rest of the camino. At least after Roncesvalles there are intermediate albergues so you can do a few short days to start with to break in the boots and the legs!

am booked at orrison for that same reason which means 8 & 16 km which should be doable, if not i will figure something...

am not wearing boots, so won't ruin my feet in the process (may ruin my back tho as it is not used to them), am bringing band aid and lots of socks though and will do my exercises in the morning like a good patient...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I suggest chocolate and wine to soothe. : )

I have been training since March. The other day I walked 50k with 12kg pack. An average day on the Camino for me is 32k with 8.5kg pack. This works for me. I have a quick pace that I love. I'm happy regardless of pain, rain, full alburgues, warm beer, nasty wine. Noisy plastic bags in the morning are another story.

On my first Camino, I had pains and blisters. On my second Camino, I had pain, blisters and an incredibly swollen ankle from 3 days before SDC to Finisterre. No matter. The elation I have when enjoying wonderful Spain and meeting the most beautiful people elevates my spirit to fight through my pain of the day. Also like you, I have sciatic injury that I wish on no one.

I've seen the "most fit" people stumble after only a few days and the "least fit" enjoy every step all the way to SDC.

My point? As above, listen to your body. You are in tune with you.

Don't forget the chocolate and wine.

Pieces, I don't really train. I just use the first few days or weeks as training.

After "training", I continue to sleep in, go slow and muck about - but then I have to call it "smelling the roses" or whatever.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I totally agree on the choclate point !

In fact SO much i did research the option of bringing a small trolley for my stash, but with my packweight down to just over 5 kilo this year I figure I can at any time carry about 1 kilo of 80% comfortably as well as water :p

I actually DO intend on walking, even if in pain, as I did last year. Also I find that after a whileit is possible to walk in tune with the pain, it is there but one can learn not to pay attention.

All this being said, i WOULD like the thought of having the option to go somewhere and lie low for a few days if walking becomes impossible, as last year where my leg would just go out from under me when trying to stand, also from a better safe than sorry perspectiv *knocks wood*

Pieces

I recommend you do all of the above but you really need to start eating porridge (without sugar) and you also need to step up your whisky intake. Then all will be well. Promise.

John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Shortly: I had tendinities in my left leg, which forced me to stop for 5 days. At that time I was in Burgos, and took bus to Santo Domingo de Silos (you remember Canto Gregoriano, the singing monks of that village). Stayed there in a hostel (the monastery allowes only men stay there), wrote my diary, limped to the church to hear the monks sing in the vespers. After all it did me very good, both physically and mentally, it was an important part of my own camino. Don´t be afraid to do something like that, if necessery.

I think your idea to break up the distances by more frequent stops is wise.

I have scoliosis of the spine, so not only do I experience back pain, nerve pain and general discomfort, the curvature in my spine causes my hips to be uneven. One leg is actually longer than the other. So training has been essential for me. But throught that training, I have learned that I can't push myself too hard. I need time for rest. So my plans have changed from trying to stay in the window of "everyone else." I can't do everyone else's pace. I can only do what I can do.

So I am giving myself permission to be content with being the tortoise and letting the hares pass me by! I hope you have a great trip and I will pray for you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I missed porridge more than almost anything else on the camino.

(But even more I missed tea. Real tea. Preferably lapsang, with a splash of rum and a pinch of gunpowder. That'll get you up mountains no matter how bad the tendonitis.)

Johnny, I'm the English woman in a skirt who blubbed embarrassingly on you in the pilgrim's office a couple of weeks ago. Thank you!

Nel

sounds like a lot of the same symptoms lizlane...

the strange thing about mine is that often I can stop for a break and after there will be no pain, also I have days with and days without, but haven't figured why...

I love the idea of Santo Domingo de Silos just the thing i was looking for :p

as long as they don't serve porridge :cry:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back