• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you feel...

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
When I'm out on my practice walks I always go home with a list of things to find out/research/look-up... today was no exception; today I was wondering what happens when you finish.

How did you feel when you reached Santiago? I am hoping that I get there... my husband and son are planning to drive the route to come and meet me. Hubby's plan is to be waiting on the steps to greet me. :)

I can't imagine how I'll feel if I am lucky enough to reach Santiago but I guess there will be a rollercoaster of emotions. Joy because you made it... sadness because it's over... and many more I guess?

How did you feel? What did you do in Santiago? Did you stay in town for a few days? Did you stay with your fellow pilgrims or find a hotel? How did you travel home? Was it hard to get back into normal life?

Just curious...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After a discussion with my wife re your ideas of how you will feel they are accurate, with one exception normal will never be normal again, this changes you. It will not salve your inner restlessness, we are doing it all again in 10 weeks time.

All of us who walk into Santiago de Compostela whatever our reasons or beliefs must share similar quickened emotions upon our arrival. The weight of history is so great with the accumulated layers of centuries, both visible and invisible. One can see much and also feel or imagine even more such as hoards of past pilgrims following the same timeless route towards the cathedral throughout the ages.

Overwhelmed, my emotions are a always complex mix of euphoria and sadness; I feel weary but thrilled and sincerely thankful to have made it!! Arriving at the simple northeast corner of the cathedral near the plaza Azabacheria I put my hand on the ancient stone and weeping offer silent thanks for all that has been which enabled my camino. I then enter and sit quietly pondering within the great silent nave....Peace.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How do you feel when you reach Santiago? Well, I felt bitter disappointment that my Camino had come to an end. I was sad that I would be saying goodbye to so many great people. I felt fear because I didn't know how it would be to go back to my job, friends and family a changed person. Would they accept the new me? And I felt joy to have accomplished the Camino. I'm 55 years old and relatively out of shape, yet I had climbed mountains, walked over 20 miles in a day (3x) and navigated a foreign country without being able to speak the language. In some ways, managing the odd combination of feelings in my heart upon reaching Santiago was the most difficult part of the Camino for me.

What did I do in Santiago? The first thing I did was check into the Parador. Which instantly caused a comical scene. When the bellman insisted on carrying my backpack to my room, I refused to give it up. I know it's silly, but I needed to carry it myself. It made him a little uncomfortable at first but I think he had seen this emotion before and finally relented after a brief tug of war over my backpack in the lobby. I then went to Pilgrim's office and got my Compostela. I then spend the afternoon in and around the Cathedral running into people I had seen on the Camino. There were a lot of bitter sweet hugs and congratulations. I am even crying right now remembering saying goodbye to those fine people. The next day I attended the pilgrim's mass and spent one more night in Santiago before heading home. I had originally planed on spending more time in Santiago but I had a very strong desire to leave. I cannot articulate the basis for this feeling, I just knew that I had to leave.

How did I travel home? I took the bus to Madrid to catch my flight. I knew that I could catch a plane or take the train from Santiago to Madrid, but a bus seemed the best way to transition back to non-walking transportation. The bus ride was emotional and strange. Many times I could see the Camino from my window. More than once I could see pilgrims walking west while my bus sped in the opposite direction toward Madrid. I had to fight the urge to demand the driver stop the bus and hand me my backpack so I could resume walking. Thankfully I reached Madrid without accosting the driver. I spent the night in a soulless business hotel next to airport and flew home the next day.

Once home, I felt like a stranger in my own life. Driving home from the airport felt strange, if not a violation of Camino protocol. Walking into my own house was even stranger. I had only been gone seven weeks, but it felt like I hadn't been there in years. I felt disoriented for weeks. I missed the Camino. I cried almost every night when I thought about the companionship and the freedom of walking the Camino. It's been almost four months since returning and it's difficult at times to look at my pictures without feeling an intense desire to return.

The good news is that I recently decided to return to the Camino in April of 2015 with a couple of friends who have never walked the Camino. Knowing that I am going back has relieved a significant portion of the sadness of not being there.

Safe travels and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
What lovely replies from you all!

RobertS - your thoughts are incredibly open and I can almost feel your sadness - I am so happy that you are walking again!

How do you feel after finishing a once-in-a-lifetime adventure? You want to do it again, of course!!

You didn't mention whether your husband and son had done the Camino themselves. If they have, they'll "get it." If not, you may feel a bit of a disconnect as you try to describe all that happened. Outwardly, it's just walking. It's the inner journey that changes you and is the adventure. Trying to talk about it with someone who has never had this type of experience can be a bit frustrating.

Fortunately, you have this forum . . . ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's now been five months since we (my wife and I) returned from our Camino, and I still spend more time than I should doing things like prowling this forum, poring over Google Earth and tracing my path, enjoying our photos, etc. It's a good thing I'm retired since I'd never get anything done if I still had a job. But to answer the question about how did I feel when I reached Santiago, I'm still not sure I can adequately explain my feelings, or more properly, my emotions. To start with, it's not just reaching Santiago, because I recall the last couple of days leading up to standing before the Cathedral, and the next few days we spent hanging around Santiago and bussing out to Finisterre and back, were unlike most of the rest of the Camino. Let me back up a bit...

As moving as reaching Santiago, attending the Pilgrims' Mass, and watching the butafumeiro swing were, as I look back I have to say that the Cruz de Ferro was the spiritual highlight of my Camino. That was not my expectation when we started out, but in fact its import soon became obvious. Our Camino was a pilgrimage, and our goal was to dedicate our walk every day to God in thanksgiving for the blessings in our lives, with the reaching of the Cathedral of St James being the ultimate offering. This we did, but the importance of the Cruz de Ferro to our journey immediately became apparent as soon as we took our first step through the Spanish Gate in St Jean Pied de Port, when we paused to draw a small pebble from a sack of pebbles I was carrying. Before we left home, I asked friends and family if they had someone or something they wanted us to pray for as we walked. The prayer requests came in, and as I received each one, I wrote a name on a small pebble which I would leave at the Cruz de Ferro along with my own stone. We soon had almost fifty pebbles, which I kept in a small cloth bag in the pocket on my backpack's hip belt. Each day, as we began our walk, we would say a brief prayer of thanksgiving and ask for God's guidance and protection over us a we walked. We would then draw a random stone from the bag and pray for that person or for his/her prayer request as we walked. The pebble would then go into another bag so we would be sure that every pebble got its prayers. Because there were so many pebbles and a limited number of days before reaching the Cruz de Ferro, we would repeat the process as we began walking again after our lunch break. The immediate effect of this was that I soon realized that I was walking two Caminos -- one for myself and one for those for whom I was praying. The Camino became more about doing something for others than about doing something for myself, which of course is as it should be if I am living according to Christian principles.

We were fortunate to reach the Cruz de Ferro just as the sun was rising above the horizon on a clear, crisp September morning. It was very dramatic as the sun hit the cross at the top of the tall wooden shaft while my wife and I knelt at its foot, taking each pebble from the small sack, saying a final prayer for that person, and placing the pebble gently on the mound of stones left by those that preceded us. There were only a dozen or so people there, and I am grateful to them as they patiently waited while we completed this ritual. Finally, it was time to place our own stones and begin what we now call the second part of our Camino.

Being able to focus on "my" Camino the rest of the way into Santiago was now more important than I realized. It became a lesson in pain management as the effects of the plantar fasciitis that started back around Leon became more and more bothersome each day. I learned a new gait technique that put less strain on the tendons of my foot, I started using a brace on my arch and ankle, I started taking Spanish mega-ibuprofins to reduce the inflamation, and I met a wonderful Irishman named Maurice who had the gift of healing touch and was able to bring at least partial relief. Somehow, I was able to stumble along by telling myself that the pain in my foot was nothing compared to the pain Christ endured on the Cross, and realizing that this pain was just another stumbling block that the evil one had placed in my path to discourage me from completing this pilgrimage of thanksgiving to God.

As we approached Santiago in the final days, I realized how driven I was to complete this journey. For me, the final days were more intense as I found myself focusing on reaching Santiago, reaching Santiago. We spent our last night of the Camino in Lavacolla, only a couple of hours' walk from Santiago. On the last morning, we rose early and entered the city in the first real rain we had experienced for the entire six weeks of our journey. But that failed to slow us down as we pushed our way through the crowds. I would not even allow myself to be distracted to look around and enjoy the city -- that would come later. Our first glimpse of the Cathedral tower as we looked up a narrow street was like a porch light for a moth, I was inextricably drawn closer and closer, walking faster and faster, the pain in my foot forgotten. And finally we were there, gazing in awe at the massive Cathedral, tears streaming down both of our faces as we hugged each other, saying over and over, "We made it, we made it." The next morning we took a bus out to Finisterre, enjoyed the sunset at the end of the world, then came back to Santiago the following day in time for the swinging of the butafumeiro at the 7:30 Friday evening Mass. We spent two more days in Santiago, sightseeing and shopping, and reliving old times with Camino friends we had met along the way.

So yes, when we reached Santiago, all the usual emotions were there -- relief from the physical pains; joy that we had, at ages 68 and 70, completed this 800 km journey; sorrow that it was over; and of course, thanksgiving that we had completed our pledge to our Father; and a renewed awareness of the blessings that we had received throughout the six weeks of our pilgrimage. Some of these blessings came later, after our backpacks were stolen while we enjoyed a last meal in Santiago before catching the train to Madrid and our flight home. This could have been a terrible ending for our Camino, but by the grace of God and the amazing efforts of everyone's Camino friend, Johnnie Walker, and the volunteers of the Amigos del Camino, the backpacks were recovered almost totally intact and shipped to us back in the USA a few days later.

Ultreia,
Jim

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.