• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you know when to call it/give up?

Al_Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
First one
So yesterday it hit me that I might not make it to the end. It's weird because I'm in really good shape but my ankle is messed up (inner left ankle). It doesn't look swollen but I'm in a lot of pain and it hurts to touch.

I read up on this forum about people who didn't listen to the pain and ended up needing surgery. Then I read up about it being fine for others.

So how do you know which call to make? (ie take some ibuprofen and keep going). I have a high tolerance for pain so for me I can walk through it, but if it's this bad and I've only a quarter of the way there...I don't know if I'll be putting some permanent damage on my body. I'm very active outside of El Camino so I would hate to spend months recovering like some of you seem to write. But maybe it's nothing and just my body adjusting?

I went from getting through each stage in less than 4 hours to limping in 6 or 7 hours and needing to take a break every 5 minutes by the time I get to around 18kms.

I've done harder multiple day hikes so I honestly don't know what's happening. I even rested 5 days to let it heal and 2 days after it seems just as bad.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom/advice. I hope you're all well!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So yesterday it hit me that I might not make it to the end. It's weird because I'm in really good shape but my ankle is messed up (inner left ankle). It doesn't look swollen but I'm in a lot of pain and it hurts to touch.

I read up on this forum about people who didn't listen to the pain and ended up needing surgery. Then I read up about it being fine for others.

So how do you know which call to make? (ie take some ibuprofen and keep going). I have a high tolerance for pain so for me I can walk through it, but if it's this bad and I've only a quarter of the way there...I don't know if I'll be putting some permanent damage on my body. I'm very active outside of El Camino so I would hate to spend months recovering like some of you seem to write. But maybe it's nothing and just my body adjusting?

I went from getting through each stage in less than 4 hours to limping in 6 or 7 hours and needing to take a break every 5 minutes by the time I get to around 18kms.

I've done harder multiple day hikes so I honestly don't know what's happening. I even rested 5 days to let it heal and 2 days after it seems just as bad.

Very sorry to read this Al. I do not think it is nothing like you write. The former multiple day hikes are no guarantee for success this time.
Every situation is different and has to be treated accordingly.
If you are in the same pain after five days resting I really think you should go to a hospital or centro de salud for some professional advice.

All the best!!

Hi al camino,
Where are you? If I were you I'd get seen by a doctor asap. I can't advise you from here, on my screen, about your ankle....
Ask a farmacia or a hospitalero where there is a clinic. He/she will tell you. You'll then get proper advice which you are free to follow or not.
All the very best.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Could it be gout? If so, some medicine for a couple of days and you will be good to go. Just keep the medicine with you for the next flareup.

If you are in that much pain definitely take a day (or several) off to rest and see how you feel. Sometimes just getting off your feet and not walking for a while really helps. And then if no improvement perhaps seek some medical attention. Also there is no shame in taking a bus for a stage or two if you need it before you decide to quit completely. Best of luck!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Just adding my vote to those who recommend visiting a health centre - ask at your albergue or the nearest pharmacy for directions to the local clinic, and take a taxi if it's not very close by. You may find you don't need to stop your Camino altogether - see a doctor, get it checked out, and then follow the advice given. It may be they can strap it up and prescribe some medication which will get you on your way - but you definitely need to get some qualified advice. As @Tincatinker says, the clinics along the Camino are very used to treating pilgrims, and familiar with the kinds of injuries they can sustain! Resting for 5 days was a good idea, but as you are still experiencing pain after that, I think you do need to get it looked at.

All the best and hoping this is just a hitch in your Camino!

Yes you must see a Doctor.
The sad reality is that you have rested for five days and had a recurrence after a further two, this situation is not encouraging . If further rest is given to the injury and combined with appropriate treatment and medication recovery might allow you to continue .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey guys,

First off: thanks for the advice and replies. Believe me, I'm heeding it.

Could it be gout? If so, some medicine for a couple of days and you will be good to go. Just keep the medicine with you for the next flareup.
Never had that issue but my dad has it so I can't rule it out. It could be a possibility though as I normally eat very healthy and the food on the Camino isn't very nutritious or well balanced...

Hi al camino,
Where are you? If I were you I'd get seen by a doctor asap. I can't advise you from here, on my screen, about your ankle....

I'm in Viana right now and it looks like there's a Centro de salud. I could wait for it to open tomorrow morning or head to Logroño if you guys think that would be better. But the only thing is that how can they possibly know if it's not swollen? They'd need an x-ray to really tell, wouldn't they? And that's assuming they even speak English.

My backup plan if I'm to continue hiking is to ship a little clothing (about 1kg worth so it's not much) and pick up some hiking poles to take some weight off my legs. Then I was going to give it one last try and take ibuprofen (as I'm a pretty firm believer of pain being our body's warning system and have been trying to avoid it thus far).

Also, in case anyone's wondering: my name's Alvin and I thought my username would be extra ironic because it'd be like "al(l)_the way/camino" and I might not actually make it

Hey guys,

Never had that issue but my dad has it so I can't rule it out. It could be a possibility though as I normally eat very healthy and the food on the Camino isn't very nutritious or well balanced...

I'm in Viana right now and it looks like there's a Centro de salud. I could wait for it to open tomorrow morning or head to Logroño if you guys think that would be better. But the only thing is that how can they possibly know if it's not swollen? They'd need an x-ray to really tell, wouldn't they? And that's assuming they even speak English.

My backup plan if I'm to continue hiking is to ship a little clothing (about 1kg worth so it's not much) and pick up some hiking poles to take some weight off my legs. Then I was going to give it one last try and take ibuprofen (as I'm a pretty firm believer of pain being our body's warning system and have been trying to avoid it thus far).

There certainly will be someone that speaks English. And if Viana does not have all the equipment they will advice you to go to Logroño for ultrasound or X ray.
Do seek medical advice and afterwards you still can decide.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take it from a guy who broke his foot and walked the last 100 miles on it to finish his Camino. Get it checked out. If the doc gives you the OK, GET trekking poles. I can't believe some people walk without poles.

Also, don't be nervous about using the Spanish health care. It is good. It might be a bit of a process. I had to go to the doctor's office, then to a back to pay for it and get a receipt, then back to the doctor's office. Because I was paying on the spot for a visit and was a pilgrim, they got me an appointment that day.

Also, see if there is another pilgrim who speaks better Spanish than you who can help you out.

A couple of years ago I had awful blisters and visited a lovely podiatrist in Viana. She provided great treatment, she didn't speak English but was great at using Google translate.
Seek help.
If you have to stop now then you must accept that, hopefully you can return another year and pick up where you leave off.

Al,
All you can do is listen to your body and your heart. I ran into some problems last September in the first stretch right before Pamplona. Spending a night as the only pilgrim in a Convent talking to the nuns completely changed my thought process. I knew my knee was in trouble and the nuns and I talked about the whole concept of the Camino. And what did it mean if a person "made it the whole way" or not and what if they walked the whole thing or not. After that night I slowly hobbled into Pamplona and rested for a day. I downshifted and lowered my KM per day until my body was stronger. But I did also do a small town to town bus leg when my knee gave out, then rest again and kept going. The nuns told me to always remember "that making it to the end wasn't the goal, it was just one part of the larger journey". They kept emphasizing to me that if my body couldn't make the journey now then that did not matter. What mattered was I was there trying and that I did not give up in my heart. They emphasized to me that if I had to come back another day, or never made it back again, that my journey would continue. Listen to your body after as much rest as you can give your body. Your journey will be there waiting for you. Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Al,
One last thing a guy named Mac from Ireland told me as we hiked together over the Pyrenees. "Are you late for a meeting?" "No?!" "Then who gives a shite about your speed? Just take your time and enjoy the walk and journey. You get there when you get there." IF you are not under a time constraint then forget all the stress and time nonsense. Go at then pace you can go at. If you are on a time constraint and your body is not recovering (I have a high pain threshold also, but am no longer in good athletic shape) then take a bus for 1-2 small legs and then rest for the remainder of 1-2 days to let your ankle heal a bit. And go into a small Medico shop and see if they have anything stronger than Ibuprofen, or possibly a small good wrap for the ankle? Good luck and Buen Camino!

Al, I'd be worried about a stress fracture. For the time being, ice it, Ace-wrap it and elevate it until you can get to a doctor. Maybe they can brace it or give you something stronger than Ibuprofen and some good, sound advice about how advisable continuing is. Sounds awful to be in such pain and trying to do the kilometers.

Also, in case anyone's wondering: my name's Alvin and I thought my username would be extra ironic because it'd be like "al(l)_the way/camino" and I might not actually make it

Alvin, I would go to the medical centre in Viana tomorrow morning. As @SabineP said, they'll refer you to a bigger place if they cannot help.
It may be nothing and they pat you on the shoulder with a few more Ibuprofenos... Or you may need treatment and a few days' rest...Or you may have to give up, this time, until the next time.
If you're worried about your new camino friends going ahead of you, you can always join them later by bus or taxi.
Look after yourself. The camino will always be there for you :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lots of great advice here Al. As one who walked injured on my first Camino, I can only stress again the need for professional medical advice! Once you have that. You can make your decisions. Medical services in Spain are really good, and not expensive (if you don't have insurance or reciprocal health cover).

Get whatever checks you need to get. Don't rely on Doctor Google of Us! If you have to taxi forward a bit to find a good Health Centre in a major town, then do it. Ask at your accomodation of a Pharmacy to see where they suggest.

I did end up walking on to SDC, taking anti inflammatories and pain killers all the way, but only after medical advice, and a second opinion! And 3 stops along the way to attend Physio clinics (that were excellent and cheap) They checked to make sure I was still OK, and not damaging anything, and re-strapped my feet showing me how to do it myself. Cannot praise them enough.

Professional advice is the key :)

If you are able to continue, then Buen Camino and treat everyday like it might be your last on the journey....

If you have to call it.......then so be it. The Camino will be there again for you. It's not going anywhere...

Do please let us know how you get on.

Hi Alvin,
I second third most advice already given. Get some medical attention. As noted they are used to treating pilgrims so you can go a long way with pointing making faces and google translate! If you have to stop then stop you can return. If not well you got to experience something many don't! You have made memories and have stories to tell! Take care of yourself! Here's hoping it's something that can be fixed with little muss or fuss!
Keeping you in my thoughts...
Micah

I went to the Hospital in Castro Urdiales near Bilbao. The english speaking nurse came over to help and the treatment was efficient and effective.
I have nothing but praise for the Spanish medical system.

€60,-
Al, take some time off and rest.
See a doctor as others have suggested.
If, in the end, you cannot walk any more this trip, then BUS the rest of the stages to Santiago.
Then you'll have a reason to come back another year to finish your Camino.

Good luck.

Before you call it, I'd do as the others have suggested and seek medical attention. With that and some rest you might just be able to continue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Al, please let us know what you decide. In 2014, I sprained ankle, walked another ten days or so, saw Dr, rested eight days, walked on. As you can see by thread, you have walked and was injured company. You are a pilgrim finish for now or finish in Santiago. Buen camino.

If you have travel insurance, call them. A. They can find you a doctor wherever you are and B. Most policies require you contact them before incurring out of country medical costs if you expect to be reimbursed.

And I wouldn't be quite so heavy on the ibuprofen. It's not fixing anything and if relieving pain, could allow you to push further than you should.

Depending on your circumstances, if you have the time, consider shortening your days within tolerance, alternating with more rest days. Perhaps you can finish if you have extra time to invest.

And I wouldn't be quite so heavy on the ibuprofen. It's not fixing anything

Is that a Professional Opinion? If so......I will defer to it. A bit... But not in my case..... as it was prescribed.... ;)

Very important to get a Professional opinion of course that relates to you and your condition!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good luck Al. I share your misgivings about popping painkillers as if it was nothing, but assuming you get the OK from a medical professional I think you can make an exception for a couple of weeks out of your entire life. A couple of years back my feet were nearly all blister and I lost 8 toenails!! without Ibuprofen I probably wouldn't have made it.

Of course nails grow back and blisters heal which is different from your potentially more serious situation but I really sympathise with your dilemma. In the heat of the situation it's hard to make a totally rational decision.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. See a doctor? - yes. But my recommendation is see a physiotherapist for therapy. My Camino was saved by an "angel" in Burgos. She was fully booked for the day but worked her entire lunch hour on my leg. Rest alone would not have done it! A few days off, some very short walks and accepting that my pack must be transported until I was 100%. Also more fluid and rolling ankle socks down over my shoes. (She was adamant that socks finishing above the ankles put pressure on the ligaments on the outer front of lower leg. I walked in runners so just rolled my socks over top of shoes when I wasn't wearing knee high socks) I followed up with another treatment in Leon when i took a rest day. Please consider physiotherapy before you give up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. See a doctor? - yes. But my recommendation is see a physiotherapist for therapy. My Camino was saved by an "angel" in Burgos. She was fully booked for the day but worked her entire lunch hour on my leg. Rest alone would not have done it! A few days off, some very short walks and accepting that my pack must be transported until I was 100%. Also more fluid and rolling ankle socks down over my shoes. (She was adamant that socks finishing above the ankles put pressure on the ligaments on the outer front of lower leg. I walked in runners so just rolled my socks over top of shoes when I wasn't wearing knee high socks) I followed up with another treatment in Leon when i took a rest day. Please consider physiotherapy before you give up.

Good point. I visited some outstanding Physios on the CF

@Al_Camino
I would agree with much of what has been said. I would add this.
I am a physician.
I have never, and never would, give advice to someone about a medical condition by email! (Except perhaps to a long established chronic patient whom I had previously dealt with.) We were taught, a long time ago, to "take a careful history, and make a thorough examination" before vouchsafing an opinion. And I think that is right.
I never treat myself. I seek advice from a qualified person. That is what they are for.
I have found, though fortunately always for minor complaints, very good advice from pharmacists in Spain, and once from a GP, and once from a podiatrist. I have never regretted taking the time out to seek advice. If you have to miss a day, so what?
My experience of medical professionals in Spain is that there is usually somebody near by who can speak Spanish if they cannot. I have found pharmacists in particular very often do. And as someone suggested a fellow pilgrim can make a useful interpreter.
The only advice I would give is that as you have rested the foot, and the pain has not gone away, now would be the time to seek professional advice.
This forum is not the place to seek professional medical advice. I would be cautious about taking advice about medication from a non qualified person, however well meaning.
This forum is though the place to seek support, encouragement and......love.
Buen camino.

Last edited:
Well, what happened Al? Interested friends want to know.

Personally, I am on a rest day in Coimbra watching my clothes spin in a coin laundry. When you find one along your love me if May ch, it is like finding treasure. So, I am washing everything I can.

Back to the story...When I arrived at Coimbra, my hips...BOTH hips felt like they were grinding bone-on-bone. I have familial arthritis, but am too stubborn to call the Camino quits...just yet. So I cope as best I can. Life gives me lemons, I make lemonade, and trust the rest to Santiago.

FYI, this is my fifth Camino, and fourth long distance effort. Over the years, I have learned how to cope with a variety of medical issues while on Camino. Everything people said above about health care in Spain is correct.

Remember, EVERY problem has one or more solutions. The trick is to figure out one, or a combination of several choices, that keeps you heading towards Santiago, if medically possible.

So, for what it is worth, I second everything written above. If, after medical consultation, you DO NOT have a fracture or torn ligament, my two cents of advice is to ADAPT AND OVERCOME.

Taking rest days becomes a necessity for many of us, either with chronic medical issues, or on the "south side" of 50. Try to choose a place with things do do, see, and with the support services you would want...like a coin laundry. That is why I am spending an extra day at Coimbra, Portugal, and why I will do the same at Porto next week.

Also, adapting may mean taking a bus or taxi part of the way each day, at least until your health improves. Whether you start out riding, or walk until you have discomfort, then pop into any bar/cafe to ask them to call a taxi, it's all good. NO ONE can tell you how to accomplish YOUR CAMINO! That is Camino Rule Uno.

Also, the daily stages in most guide books, and especially the one by Mr. Brierley, are largely subjective. Sometimes the stages are loosely based on lodging availability. For example, it is widely held that the 33 stages on the Camino Frances are tied to the number of years Jesus Christ lived on earth ...whatever....

Howevet, he was clearly smoking something funky when he came up with all the 30 km ++ daily segments on the Lisbon to PortĂł portion of the Camino Portuguese! I have been adapting and overcoming since starting at Lisbon on 26 May. It has been challenging. There is FAR too much road walking for my preference.

The "rules" for a Camino are only strict regarding obtaining a Compostela at the Pilgrim Office at Santiago and address the need to walk the FINAL 100 km into Santiago on ANY route. On the Frances, that would be from Sarria. On the Portuguese, that is from Tui.

I hope this helps, and I REALLY hope you find a way through this "speed bump" on The Way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Depending on what treatment you need - what about sending your pack ahead and just walking 5km a Day - I would also be so disappointed - hope you can still continue with your camino , be it a compromise?

In the case that it could be gout, energy drinks like Gatorade are loaded with high fructose corn syrup which will only increase the ill effects of the gout pain.
That's a good point. To be honest, I've been drinking a lot of coke - something I never do at home. I stopped today and will also just try to eat healthier. I found kale in Logroño so I was so happy today.

Well, what happened Al? Interested friends want to know.

Personally, I am on a rest day in Coimbra ...
First off, I want to say thanks to everyone for the love and support - it's weird being on a forum that's this positive as most always end up being pretty snarky. I've read all of your posts multiple times - thanks for taking time out of your day to write them.

So... It turns out that I now have tendinitis - anterior tibial tendonitis, to be exact. The nurse says I can walk and the physio says I can walk (by the way, I don't have medical insurance and was glad to hear that they were each only abkut 35 euros).

BUT they both have difference advice. The nurse says to put an anti inflammatory cream on and take paracetamol.

The physio gave me an exercise, said to ice it after every walk, taped me up, and said that I should probably get physio done at least once a week. He says to forget about the cream and paracetamol unless I really can't bare the pain.

I looked up my tendonitis and obviously I'm not a doctor but it seems like he was under the impression of stage 1. But online it says that I'm in stage 2 (according to the symptoms) where I could cause permanent damage... But he didn't seem worried at all and I guess I should trust that?

The nurse also says to rest 3 days and the physio says I can walk tomorrow if I want. I'm still limping so I'm considering a full rest day as it can't hurt but I'll see how I feel when I wak up.

I also met a holistic korean doctor/pilgrim who did some acupuncture on my foot so hopefully that helps.

Anyway, what an emotional roller coaster this has been - I went from accepting that it was the end last night to being ridiculously happy when I realized "bay esperanza".

I've got until about the first week of June so there might still be a chance!

Thanks again and don't be shy to voice your thoughts if you've dealt with something similar. I went through tons of old posts before making this thread and I'm hoping this can help someone else in the future too.

PS check out the library while you're in Coimbra! It was my sole reason for going there and it's truly beautiful.

€60,-
That's good News Al. Sometimes medical advice is a bit conflicting. So you get some more, or make your own choices based on how you feel. For what it's worth.......I just did both. But you will know what suits you and what seems to be working.

Do you have Poles? I could not have made it without those....

One foot in front of the other Al, no matter how slow, and I'm sure you'll make it. If time starts to run out, maybe just jump ahead to Sarria and walk from there. (If you want a Compostela)

That's a good point. To be honest, I've been drinking a lot of coke - something I never do at home. I stopped today and will also just try to eat healthier. I found kale in Logroño so I was so happy today.

First off, I want to say thanks to everyone for the love and support - it's weird being on a forum that's this positive as most always end up being pretty snarky. I've read all of your posts multiple times - thanks for taking time out of your day to write them.

So... It turns out that I now have tendinitis - anterior tibial tendonitis, to be exact. The nurse says I can walk and the physio says I can walk (by the way, I don't have medical insurance and was glad to hear that they were each only abkut 35 euros).

BUT they both have difference advice. The nurse says to put an anti inflammatory cream on and take paracetamol.

The physio gave me an exercise, said to ice it after every walk, taped me up, and said that I should probably get physio done at least once a week. He says to forget about the cream and paracetamol unless I really can't bare the pain.

I looked up my tendonitis and obviously I'm not a doctor but it seems like he was under the impression of stage 1. But online it says that I'm in stage 2 (according to the symptoms) where I could cause permanent damage... But he didn't seem worried at all and I guess I should trust that?

The nurse also says to rest 3 days and the physio says I can walk tomorrow if I want. I'm still limping so I'm considering a full rest day as it can't hurt but I'll see how I feel when I wak up.

I also met a holistic korean doctor/pilgrim who did some acupuncture on my foot so hopefully that helps.

Anyway, what an emotional roller coaster this has been - I went from accepting that it was the end last night to being ridiculously happy when I realized "bay esperanza".

Thanks again and don't be shy to voice your thoughts if you've dealt with something similar. I went through tons of old posts before making this thread and I'm hoping this can help someone else in the future too.

PS check out the library while you're in Coimbra! It was my sole reason for going there and it's truly beautiful.

Hi
I have followed this thread and are relieved that it´s nothing worse - still a painful condition.

Regards travel insurance: I assume you are not from an EU-country? If you hold a Credit Card and you have paid anything during this pilgrimage or e.g. the flight, you might have one with your card? Might be worthwhile to check.
I hope you will be able to progress now.
Take it easy - its not a race, and use walking poles, they make a heck of a difference!

Buen Camino

Last edited:
That's good news, Al! I'm hoping they did an X-ray to reach that more benign diagnosis/rule out a worse one. Please post how you're getting along and consider getting poles and sending that pack ahead as others have suggested.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So happy for you that the consensus is that you do not have to go home.

I had to... Doc os Spain said tendonitis and that it would take many days of not weeks to get better. So I put my travel insurance to good use.

Got home and hoped for improvement, but only getting worse. Booked an appointment with my GP for today and went to the ER on sunday to get xrays. ER doc made no sense to me: arthritis he said. Euh... arthritis doesn't start by a snap in the knee all lf a sudden and the inability to bit weight on the leg. Glad I saw my doc today: he is sending me back to the hospital for an MRI. Something about cruciate ligaments, something I only know about when it happens to dogs. And I am to pull out my walking sticks again.

Regarding the price of a consult. I accompanied a kid to three appointments, and it was free.(He's French). When I consulted it was also free, despite the fact that I aM not an EU resident. Wondering if I got special treatment because I'm so charming. ;)

All this to say, since you got semi-conflicting instructions, I would say opt for the more conservative advice, and then listen to your pain. Icing amd reating will never hurt.

I'm no doctor, but you need a day or two of rest and re-evaluation before making any rash choices. We had to take a couple a days twice, when Beth's knee swole up. It is no big deal. Good luck.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Listen to your body! To walk in pain (if it is not a lifesaving) is not heroism but foolish (sorry). The pain of tiredness that goes to the next day is something else. But pain due to injury / illness is yelling that the body needs rest and attention. Camino will be for a long time there where he is.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm from Canada so non-eu. The point about the credit card is a good one and just another reminder that I've been putting off getting one more-suited for traveling.

I woke up wanting to rest but bumped into the Korean holistic doctor. He had a feel for my chi and said I should walk but take it really slow and only without my pack. I've become a bit of a hippie from traveling over the years so I'm not as skeptical about stuff like that these days.

Anyway, I've sent my pack to Najera, made it a little lighter with a stop at the correos, and will pick up hiking poles before heading out. I'll go as far as I can but won't be as against taking taxi's or buses if I need to (although I'd obviously rather not)

One of the things that I've prioritized this year is relearning the limits of my body (as I'm very active and just don't heal like I used to when I was 20). So in a way, it sort of works out this way.

I'm hoping to reach the end but I'll trust my body because I've always been in tune with it. If I don't finish, I don't finish but I've asked the universe to help a brother out. I don't ask it for much so I'm hoping this request has some pull :p

I'll keep you guys posted either way!

Sending some of that love right back,

- Alvin

Just a bit of practical advice that may offer some relief, since you have obtained medical help and have already been evaluated/treated by a professional.

Take the insoles out of your shoes and make sure the arch is hitting the right spot. Check to see that there is nothing under the insole of the affected side. If you see a pharmacy or sporting goods store, it may be worth trying a new set of insoles with a flatter or higher arch to see if that takes the pressure off the injured area.

Another idea is to look at the bottom of your shoes. If there is considerably more wear on one side of the heel than the other, it may be worth trying a different brand of shoe. For example, I am a supinator so my feet roll outward and the heels of my shoes wear more on the outside. It helps me to find shoes that are neutral or built up a bit more on the outside to compensate for my weird anatomy. Most people are pronators so have the opposite issue and look for shoes with more padding on the inside heel to put their feet in a neutral position. I would imagine it's possible to put strain on the anterior tibialis tendon (from your post) from wearing shoes (and carrying a heavy pack, day after day) that may not be appropriate for your anatomy or simply from overuse.

The next tip stems from something stupid I did a couple of weeks ago. I was in Boston and walked over 12 miles one day, in really cute, impractical shoes with zero cushioning. My poor feet pounded the cobblestone pavement with just a thin layer of leather on unforgiving stone. I gave myself a wicked plantar fasciitis and am still paying for it here at home. But the lesson learned is to try to stay on the softer surfaces, if possible, to the side of the hard, paved trails.

Wishing you speedy healing and a happy pilgrimage!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Take the insoles out of your shoes and make sure the arch is hitting the right spot. Check to see that there is nothing under the insole of the affected side. If you see a pharmacy or sporting goods store, it may be worth trying a new set of insoles with a flatter or higher arch to see if that takes the pressure off the injured area.

If you can get to a physio at some point, they are normally very good at assessing the need for insoles. I saw three at various stages in Spain and they were all very good. My Physio here at home assessed the way I walked and I ended up with insoles but also small shims that I stick under the insoles with gaffer tape. Very thin. And along with a stock of heel wedges these were great (for my condition Achilles Tendonitis).

Going up steep hills I would pop in extra heel wedges, and that helped a lot.

So little things can help, with the right professional assessment and advice.

I hope it all works out well for you Al.

take ibuprofen (as I'm a pretty firm believer of pain being our body's warning system and have been trying to avoid it thus far).

As you've been diagnosed with tendinitis, which is an inflammation of the tendon, I'd suggest taking ibuprofen or voltaren gel as it is an anti-inflammatory as well as follow the ice, compression and elevation recommendations. Continued inflammation can turn into a chronic condition, to my mind I'd try to heal it now before doing possible further damage i.e. complete rupture. I'm no medical professional but have been dealing with ankle ligament/tendon issues myself for over 2 years now....

I also had Achilleus-Tendonitis on the camino. Took ibuprofen and cut back on the kms. Worked for me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey guys,

I had a similar problem. Went to a hospital and it was cellulitis. A real bummer. I was told not to walk for 3 days. I walked a little bussed a little. In Leon on the main street I found a farmacia. They told me about a wonderful massage therapist who was very kind and knowledgeable. He had me rest. He knows feet he sees them all of the time. I listened to him and did so much better. The massage therapists in Spain are very good.

Al, hope you're still making your way out there. FYI here is something you can probably buy in any pharmacy if your tape job gives out. I bought one in Leon after walking from Burgos with painful tendinitis in my left ankle, though it was on the outside, not the inside, of my ankle. That wrap and 600-mg Spanish ibuprofen (and of course daily afternoon/evening doses of vino tinto) kept me walking from Leon to Santiago.
Buen Camino, and hope to hear of your arrival in Santiago!

Attachments

• IMG_1455.JPG
    IMG_1455.JPG
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 10

Caminos are a part of life that we learn from, there is no failure. A friend, Kathy, walked the French Camino from SJPP with a broken leg (she didn't know) many surgeries later she appreciates what was a painful experience. Don't hurt yourself. Ultreya... Willy/Utah/USA

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for your record @williamlittig . In my previous answer I did not want to be too explicit, that would not work panic. I will now, however, wrote:
my colleague years ago, somewhere in the second half of the CF felt a problem with her foot. Pain escalate , but she did not want to give up. In the end, she really hardly walk, and with great difficulty arrived in Santiago. People are applauding her, hugging her, and declared a hero and winner. Today, three years later - no more applause, a feeling of triumph was strongly faded, but still walks with difficulty ..... have permanent damage.
Of course, depending on the nature of the problem and depending on what its own priorities and what we are ready to sacrifice (time, money, health, pride,.....). Encouraging to the concrete solution is a delicate thing.
Common consideration is probably what helps. And so we have a forum :)- to hear many different opinions and then decide alone.

Last edited:

I have read the advice given and all is sound, go go go straight to the doctors I know I pushed on till it took no more in 2013 I ended in hospital ICU for 8 days and my was not a blister or swollen joint just go do not hesitate on top of the 8 days I spent 5 days and surgery back home. since then I have walked two more Camino's so do not worry your Camino will wait. Buen Camino.

Back Pack. Get somebody to adjust it. Travel light not more tgan 5/6 km. 5 days pain looks serious

Hey guys,

Hi Al(vin),
How the medical people will know if you have inflammation (swelling) is by seeing if PRISH is involved: Pain, Redness, Immobility, Swelling and Heat. Swelling is not seen on an X-ray; those are used for solid tissue: bone, tumors, and fractures in hard tissue.
As a first aid responder and healthcare provider (RMT), I would highly suggest you stay put (if in Viana, or wherever you are when you read these notes to you). Take a taxi to a hospital or clinic if you need to. Have your ankle examined by a doctor or nurse practitioner and follow his/her advice. Only take this person's advice on medication, or that of a pharmacist. What works for one person may be medication that another is (knowingly or unknowingly) allergic to or can have adverse reactions to meds he or she is already taking.
If the MD tells you to rest, rest.
If the MD tells you to take a bus to Santiago, take a bus to Santiago.
If the MD tells you that you need to cut short your walk along the Camino, cut your walk along the Camino short, go find a nice beach down south and plan to return another time. Take the train up to Vimy and salute our fine young men and women honoured there. Go sit in a nice cafe in Paris and watch the world go by. Let your ankle heal. The more you walk on an injury, the worse it (may) will get and the longer the recovery.
Where are you from? Raining here on PEI today, and 9°C....and no flooding.
Cheers
Heather from Charlottetown

Last edited:

Greetings from Ottawa Canada

I am not a doctor, physiotherapist or psychologist...just a pilgrim. Only you know your body and tolerance for pain.
I think completion is more about the will to finish, a mental commitment thing. If you are absolutely committed you will find a way.
In the absence of that commitment minor injuries may become major ones in your estimation.
Having committed serious time and expense in the attempt if you feel you are seriously injured IMHO seek a medical opinion. At least that way you can be confident your decision was fact based.

First of all, Take a couple days break. See a sports doctor if possible.

I called my son's and my last camino (from SJPP to Burgos) 25km east of Burgos as he hadn't slept the night before- his hands were swollen with red bumps from an immune reaction to the sunlight-- (yes, we were hoping for clouds and rain). He needed to be out of the sun and the forecast was bright and beautiful. We climbed on the bus and were in Burgos in one hour. It was bizarre. the land and flowers flashed by in seconds. -- We stayed two nights in Burgos, conferring on how to spend the next week. Our flight left from Paris, and we thought of returning to France immediately. But my son said he wanted to be in Santiago again. So we took the train. Of course, we didn't get a compostela that time, but we went to the pilgrim's mass and spent time in the city. -- I'm planning our next camino in late Fall or early Spring.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi Al, so good to hear your news. It's been really helpful reading this thread as i'm starting my first Camino (Frances) on 6 June without any training! Right now I trust my body to remember it used to run marathons many many years ago :) If I need to seek medical help I will.
Best wishes for the remainder of your Camino and take as long as you need or time allows...why rush something as life changing as your walk. There is always a gift in everything. Possibly for you it was to go slow and "smell the roses".
Please keep us posted :)
Angela

I just want to say two things:

1. This is one of the kindest, most compassionate, supportive threads ive ever read - you're all beautiful!

2. Im sorry you're experiencing this Alvin and good luck! I really hope your Camino is a meaningful experience for you. Please keep us updated :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.