• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you manage to get out of work for 5 weeks?

Rae2607

I have started the very early stages of planning my trip on the Camino. I am researching what to pack, how to get there, where to stay, how much money it will take, etc. The only real lingering question in my mind is, "How in the world do I take 5-6 weeks off work without losing my job?" I am the assistant to two Vice Presidents at a large mental health clinic (17 counties, 800 staff) and I have a pretty good idea what their reaction would be if I told them I wanted to take off 6 weeks to have this experience...and I don't think it would be a positive reaction. American companies are so uptight about giving time off to employees, I'm afraid I'll lose my job. My only other thought has been that when the time comes that I can do the Camino (I'm shooting for Sept 2013), I look for a different job to start when I return.
How did everyone here manage to take 4-6 weeks off their everyday lives and jobs?
Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Rae,

I do sympathize with your plans and with your questions. It does seem a dificult situation for you. First of all : the certainty of this job but on the other hand : you do seem to work at a certain highend level so probably finding a new job with your expertise and experience shouldn't be problem? But in this time of economical and social turmoil taking time off is a big decision!!

I live and work in Belgium ( also in mental health but as a basic social worker ) with a very high quality social security system and lots of systems to get a sabbatical leave.
So I asked ( and got ) from my employer three months sabbatical. This means that in those three months I get a substitute wage ( enough to cover the mortgage of my house, the main cost of my living ) but keep my pension rights for later and my full coverage for health insurance.
At the same time my employer must employ a young graduated person to gain some job experience.
So a win win situation for everyone.

Also in trying to convince your boss: taking time off definitely will give you an even more open mind, makes you grow as a person, gives you even more people and communication skills, surviving techniques etc... Using the Camino as something your boss can benefit from when you return?

Anyway...happy planning!!!
Sabs

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
I'm a teacher so I have time off. Many people that I met were between jobs...they had left one and had a new one lined up and took a break inbetween, many others were retired. Some had quit their jobs and planned to look for something new after the camino. If you are walking from st. jean you could probably walk it in 4 weeks but I realize that doesn't help much.

Hi Rae,

Maybe just explaining to your employers
  • what the camino is
  • why you are undertaking it
  • the history of it
  • the potential benefits to you as a person
  • a gift of "The Way" on DVD to each of them
  • sending them a link to this website
would persuade them it would be beneficial to both parties for you to undertake it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Mig

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hóla Rae,
Lots of us will say we have loads of free time if we prioritise but perhaps Mig is closer to the point in your situation. A pal of mine was in a similar situation as you got time for walk with his son; but also voluntarily did payback over the following Christmas / New Year when others wanted time off.
The Camino will find you.

In some places, management might like it if you set up a training module for a junior employee to gain a professional development experience.

During my working days (Canadian bureaucracy) I had socked away a large amount of overtime by working special events, conferences and so forth. As overtime could only be carried a year and had to be taken or cashed out, they would frequently prefer to allow me to take leave. As well, I usually explained to them what I was doing and put in the leave application about a year in advance-- either this was too far in the future for them to take note of the implications or they expected to be in another job by then, and so they signed off cheerfully.

Or, as one colleague of mine noted, to get the six weeks off in a batch, they either really liked you, or they really didn't like you.

There is no such thing as sabbatical time in the catering trade, attendance is all important, so I quit my job(s) twice in 2010 which made me very popular. This year I just about managed to wrangle 24 days (16 days actual holiday leave) but it felt like I was rushing to keep to a timetable. Unless I change my occupation totally or work for myself i will have to quit again if I want to walk an extended camino.

Thanks for all the advice everyone - I have a feeling it will come down to quitting my job and trying to find another one for when I come back. And for some reason, I am perfectly fine with that. The Camino is something I just *have* to do...for me. And sacrificing a job that I barely like is totally worth it. I hate that I even have to think about it though; unfortunately, house payments, insurance, student loans, etc won't pay for themselves so this problem has factored into my planning.
Now it seems the big problem will be having the patience to wait 19 months to do it. :)

Schedules are not cast in concrete. There's no holy writ that says you must do any particular section all in one go. You could walk the first half of the Camino Frances in three weeks during Year A, and the second half in another three weeks in Year B (not necessarily consecutive).

Do what works for you. There's not just a single camino from SJPP to Santiago; you could start in Le Puy (or Aumont-Aubrac or Figeac or Cahors or Moissac or other points in France), or in Switzerland, or in Germany, or in Austria, or or or ...

It's your Camino.

You are probably living and working in a country with a bad welfare system...
As a norwegian living and working in Norway we are all granted 5 weeks holiday annully. In addition we can work "overtime" and take it out as freetime hour by hour, and even transfer holiday we not use one year to the next. Thats makes it possible to do the Camino and still have time for vacation with family and friends.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After your 50th birthday in Sweden your yearly holidays are 32 working days (6 weeks and 2 days) + all the `red days´ (Epiphany, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day Fair, Ascencion Day, National Day, Midsummer Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year´s Eve, New Year´s Day).

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Regards getting the six weeks off work, I went to my company and said to them I doing the walk firstly for myself but at the same time I will be raising money for charity... They said as it was for charity they granted me the leave.. :D

I'm walking the Camino in May 2012 so I'm at the stage of crossing the T's and doting the I's..

Godd luck with your planning.

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
If you lived in any of these countries, you wouldn't have to be thinking about quitting your job.Scandinavian countries also have vacation days around 30 days.
However you do it, the Camino will be there should you decide to walk it in sections or make a career change.
Average Vacation Time
Italy 42 days
France 37 days
Germany 35 days
Brazil 34 days
U.K. 28 days
Canada 26 days
Korea 25 days
Japan 25 days
U.S. 13 days

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
falcon269 said:
1. Quit, or
2. Claim a devoutly religious reason, then threaten them with a discrimination lawsuit if they don't make a reasonable accommodation for your religion, such as time off without pay.

I was lucky, my first Camino, I was a contract employee. My second camino, I first tried to take an unpaid leave of absence, but the company I work for wanted a serious reason. When I said religious and deeply personal. It wasn't good enough.

I work with several practicing mental health counselors and they suggested that I get a "medical" leave of absence by going to another psychologist and getting diagnosed with burn-out or "Adjustment Disorder" and their prescription was "a period of rest away from work." I felt weird about it, so I didn't go that route, but I had it available to me if I changed my mind.

In the end, I decided to go back to a contract employee. When I came back to work to get my new contract assignments, somebody had put me on an unauthorized LOA and I got reinstated with no issues at all. Point being, if you have rapport with your bosses, they might work with you.

Just a thought, my company allowed an unpaid leave of absence if you could prove you had business aboard or parents that need your assistance (FMLA). If you have to quit, write a very lovely resignation letter and perhaps they would hire you back when come back.

Buen Camino,
Deborah

Both me and my wife have walked the camino, although not together.

For me it was the accumulation of leaves that I couldn't take due to project requirements for my 1st camino, a freelance for my 2nd and 3rd camino.

For my wife, she has decided to split her camino into 3 parts and keep her job.

St-Jean - Burgos - Spring last year.
Burgos - Astorga - Autumn last year.
Astorga - SDC - Spring this year.

Rae2607 said:
Thanks for all the advice everyone - I have a feeling it will come down to quitting my job and trying to find another one for when I come back. And for some reason, I am perfectly fine with that. The Camino is something I just *have* to do...for me. And sacrificing a job that I barely like is totally worth it. I hate that I even have to think about it though; unfortunately, house payments, insurance, student loans, etc won't pay for themselves so this problem has factored into my planning.
Now it seems the big problem will be having the patience to wait 19 months to do it. :)
If so............then I wonder if being a Great employee, leaving to do the Camino, then returning if your employer might be the one to hire you back—and wouldn't it be marvelous if, then, because you're on the job market, he gives you a raise in the process?

Well....it's a spiritual journey.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It seemed that a high percentage of people along the Camino were unemployed. Some by virtue of having retired, others just plain out of work. They were from around the world. Although official surveys are conducted that ask a person their profession, they do not specifically inquire as to whether the person is currently employed or unemployed.

Whatever one's motivation for traveling the Camino, many with limited income sources can take advantage of a break in employment and be afforded the relative low cost extended getaway that the Camino provides.

Amusingly (or maybe not so funny depending upon your point of view of these things) I ran into an out of work New Yorker who stated that inclusive of airfare to and from Spain, one can live very well for three months along the Camino for less money than it would cost to live at home for one month. With this reasoning, and given that his airfare investment had already been incurred, he planned on doing just that and making it a 90 day trek from Pamplona to Santiago. Jokingly he said that he needed that much time to repent for sins! However, I can't recall running into anyone else with quite the same mindset.

I certainly don't want anyone to think I don't receive vacation time - I do, in fact, get a decent amount of paid time off that accumulates and rolls over each year (which is quite unusual for American companies). Currently, I max out at 240 vacation hours - more than enough to take off for 5 weeks or so, but that's not the issue.
I work for workaholics - one of my bosses is here at 6:30am and doesn't leave until after 5pm most days. She does take about 2 weeks off during Christmas and a week or so in the summer, but never more than that.
The CEO hasn't taken a vacation in over 15 years. His assistant can barely take off more than one day at a time without coming in or calling or emailing work.
The problem isn't being given the vacation time to take - it's being allowed to take that much time all at once. Also, I have many responsibilites that would fall back on the 3 other Administrative Assistants I work with - and I would feel guilty doing that to them.
But like I said, I have a feeling that by the time my camino comes around, I will be ready to move on to something better and will just have to say good-bye to my current job. I really think it will be for the best.
I am most definitely NOT a workaholic - I work to live, I don't live to work. So this adventure is much more important to me than any job. After all, no one ever says on their death bed, "I sure wish I would have spent more time at work."

Take all that guilt with you on the Camino, and try to get rid of it! Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first thing you have to do is ask!

It may not work in your situation, but this is what I did:
I asked for time off a year in advance (including a week more than I thought I needed so that if I ran into foot or health issues I had a little bit of slack and I wouldn't feel pressed to hurry). I then spent the year making sure that there was someone else who was trained to do each of the critical parts of my job. Something that was not only good for me because it lifted my load, but also very good for the company as it deepened their resources. My bosses and co-workers became very supportive (including monitoring sites to get me a fantastic deal on the flight to Spain) and followed my trip with interest.

It turned out to be great preparation for the camino: learning to let go, to share and to accept help.

I agree with kokolo about asking and doing it early - and with other points raised hear about the right way.

I managed to get just under 7 weeks off - somehow. I think mainly because I flagged my intentions early (about a year in advance) that I was going to do it (regardless), plus it helped that I like my boss and we get on well.
If I was going to try and get that amount of time off again I would:
- first broach the subject in an informal conversation about wider personal direction and the need to have a deeper experience of something outside the work context
- I'd do it very early on, as giving at least a year's notice is likely to reassure the bosses that everyone else isn't going to demand the same thing
- I'd probably look for ways to involve my colleagues in it by explaining the Way, charting the route and possibly, if it was something I was interested in, getting involved in sponsorship, especially if that fitted well with the organisation's wishes (corporate social responsibility?)
- I'd work on the personal development angle and what this means to me. No sensible employer wants to stand in the way of personal development if they can accommodate it. And if they value you and think you'll come back all the more motivated and appreciative, all the better
- explore the trainee development angle as an opportunity for someone who can learn in your absence
- possibly even offer to check in after a couple of weeks and make sure nothing has gone awry
- see if there isn't some miserable task that you can volunteer for (like Christmas cover) as a sign of your goodwill
- really try and sell it as something exciting that you'll all be involved with in your office. People know they can't all do these kinds of things and really enjoy living them through a friend or colleague (which might mean updating them with a blog). And it can create a great atmosphere at work.

But if none of this does the trick, it's worth saying that after my first camino (when I was on contract work), my confidence and self-assurance increased hugely and I had no trouble finding a good job (although I appreciate things are getting harder now).
cheers, tom

Great post peregrino_tom, following on from many others. I've generally been quite lucky with bosses in that they don't really want to say 'no' if they can avoid it. Bring them a 'business case' for why your Camino is a good idea for everyone and they may go along with it. I think the idea of picking up some of the unpopular tasks (Christmas cover etc) is a particularly good one to get co-workers aware, accepting, and involved. Also a blog, or online map so people can follow your progress and make sure you're not just spending 6 weeks on the beach! :D

Buen Camino!

Edit: On re-reading my post may have been misleading in that I never had to approach my bosses about the Camino specifically. I only speak from the experience of getting extended holidays and having my staff approach me for similar.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Er... I asked for 8 weeks they had a heart attack and said no... So we fought like jawa's and haggled. My responsibilities, state and religious holidays, time frames and required work, doldrums, thumb twiddling and overtime in lieu we all called into question so facing the eventuality of wasting my airfares i dropped my three aces.

The argument was won with its an"architectural study tour" and "my catholic duty in self sacrifice and suffering to complete at least one pilgrimage in a life time" and most importantly "yes i will meet up with your suppliers for that product that no one wants in dubai... for two days at my own expense and then give the firm a presentation on the products... "

So I now have 3 weeks paid and 3 weeks unpaid leave to study, photograph, jet lag and "suffer" with everyone else on the camino... I actually think some of my directors want to go next year but would rather a canary go down the mine first.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Relying on good will and old friendships, I walked out of my work for several months, three years in a row, to go travelling. Twice I got my job back, the third time the business had changed hands.

Whoops!

This has led to a slight delay in my projected Stevenson + Arles hike. Something will come up. I'll make a vow to Saint James to eat lentils every day going south out of Le Puy. And I'll keep that vow!

Hello all,

I have my Camino planned for March 2012. I remembered wanting to do it since I was a kid when I saw a display of someone who had walked it in a church in Montreal in May of 2010. In order to get the 6 weeks off, I quit my job of 12+ years and made it a condition of hire on my new one.

Everything fell into line to make it happen. But then again, life has no coincidences...

Bets of luck!

I know I am a huge dork, but it was pretty cool when I opened the site today to realize my question made the front page!
It was also nice to know that my question wasn't something that only I was concerned about...it's always nice to know that others have the same questions and concerns as you.
Up until a few days ago I hadn't shared my plans for the Camino with anyone - I finally told a good friend what I had planned and he was thrilled for me. I expressed my concern about leaving my job and he was pretty wise in his response (he's about 20 years older than me, so it makes sense his response was wise in my eyes) - he basically just told me that when we decide in our hearts we need to do something to improve ourselves, the rest of life finds a way to work around that need.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is a great thread, one which goes to the heart of the Camino...

Myself, I retired early, at the peak of my career. I frequently read about friends who are now extremely wealthy, people with whom I could have certainly partnered with. Whenever I hear of another, I think about all the pilgrimage trips I have done, while they are still doing the same work I did for 20 years.

The USA is seriously confused with regard to time off. When I worked for a major corporation, I was invited on a join US-Soviet climbing expedition. They would not hear of it, and just asking damaged my reputation. Not that dedicated. It became clear then that I needed to be an independent consultant, working internationally. Perhaps the US lost some talent, perhaps they rid themselves of a bum.

I had a really poignant conversation one night in Santo Domingo with a lawyer from the Hague, who was on the first long vacation of his life, and did not know how he could ever return,,,,,,,,

newfydog said:
This is a great thread, one which goes to the heart of the Camino...

The USA is seriously confused with regard to time off. When I worked for a major corporation, I was invited on a join US-Soviet climbing expedition. They would not hear of it, and just asking damaged my reputation. Not that dedicated. It became clear then that I needed to be an independent consultant, working internationally. Perhaps the US lost some talent, perhaps they rid themselves of a bum.

I read alot of posts and don't always respond. I have never agreed more.

I turned 50 in October and am a working professional woman. September 2012 I am venturing on my first of many Caminos. I have learned that my expertise, education, knowledge, etc. will all be there and better accessible if I actually rejuvenate my life. If I die tomorrow, my work won't show up for my family, my work won't warm me when I am cold or hug me when I'm sad or support me in times of need. When we are younger, we don't realize how important it is to sooth our soul, lighten our load, and evaluate our lives to ensure we are on the right path. I'm not old, by any means, but at 50, I have decided that while I will be working for a long time, my work will no longer dictate my life. I will take my time off and I will be a better person, whether they realize it or not. Being a better person, body and soul, is more important to me than any project. You can make excuses for any and everything, but you are not indispensable to your employer... ENJOY YOUR LIFE!
Bom Caminho!
Red

Rae2607 said:
I have started the very early stages of planning my trip on the Camino. I am researching what to pack, how to get there, where to stay, how much money it will take, etc. The only real lingering question in my mind is, "How in the world do I take 5-6 weeks off work without losing my job?" I am the assistant to two Vice Presidents at a large mental health clinic (17 counties, 800 staff) and I have a pretty good idea what their reaction would be if I told them I wanted to take off 6 weeks to have this experience...and I don't think it would be a positive reaction. American companies are so uptight about giving time off to employees, I'm afraid I'll lose my job. My only other thought has been that when the time comes that I can do the Camino (I'm shooting for Sept 2013), I look for a different job to start when I return.
How did everyone here manage to take 4-6 weeks off their everyday lives and jobs?
Thanks!

You don't have to do it all at one time, so those of us that are still working full-time do partial walks. My walk in September 2012 along the Camino Portugues will be from Valenca to Santiago this time. When we can take more time, we plan on doing at least a bit of each Way. You can always start at the beginning of a Way, do a portion, and return the next year to do more or whenever you can.

The GREAT thing about all the Caminos? They aren't going anywhere - you only have to get there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Red1too3 said:
[ "It became clear then that I needed to be an independent consultant, working internationally. Perhaps the US lost some talent, perhaps they rid themselves of a bum."

I read alot of posts and don't always respond. I have never agreed more.

I

What, that they rid themselves of a bum? :wink:

It was interesting that I did far better work when I left the 2 weeks vacation world of the US companies and worked for a French company with six weeks plus.

A few years ago I wanted to rent a place inthe south of France for two months. I was told I needed to supply references, because "I've worked in America, and I know none of you have 8 weeks off"!

Hi there,

This is my first post.

My group will be walking the Camino this July, 2012 or Julio. Good question!

For me, getting the five weeks off took some effort and generally fretting for about a year. I work in the health industry and build up vacation hours every month. Basically, I saved my vacation for two years.

My employer has been extremely understanding.

For the rest of our group, one will be between university and a job, and the other two get time off every summer.

Trust in god but invest in a good strategy, plan wisely.

Caminobd

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I quit my job. Then I walked the Camino and traveled for 4 more months around the world in 2010.

This past year, I saved up PTO (did I mention I got my old job back? Yeah, they couldn't find a good replacement when I quit) and went to Spain for three weeks to serve as a hospitalera and do some traveling.

I am planning to save up PTO this year for a walk along the Camino Portuguese in October. It can be done.

Life is too short.

Red1too3 said:
You don't have to do it all at one time....

Question: If you don't do the Camino all in one walk, then how do the stamps work out? At Santiago, they review your stamps. Does it matter, then, if your stamps are from different years? Or is that not notable?

Almha

almhath said:
Red1too3 said:

Question: If you don't do the Camino all in one walk, then how do the stamps work out? At Santiago, they review your stamps. Does it matter, then, if your stamps are from different years? Or is that not notable?

Almha

The only stamps that actually matter are those from the last 100km. You should have two per day for this stretch. These will have to be from the current Camino and the others can be from any time. They actually will just be for yourself as far as the Compostela is concerned.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
At the age of 70 I am planning my Camino for April 2013 - therefore I am retired and time of work is not a problem. Time left in this life is!!

Looking back on my working life there were always things more 'important' that the Camino. I was indispensable, a new project to commence, who would do my work whilst I was away, then there were the spare time 'jobs' - who would be parish treasurer . . . . . Somehow everything else (and everyone else) was more important!!!

Now looking back I see that it was all about appearances - I wanted to feel that the world could not do without me. What I should have done is spent 5 weeks on the Camino looking at myself and getting my priorities right. It would have given me much more satisfaction and reward than the commercial life ever did.

Remember the saying about putting your hand in a bucket of water then taking it out and looking to see what impression you left . . . . .

Take the time off, take the career hit, live with the fear of no employment when you return - and look back on your Camino experience for the next 20 - 30 - 40 years with a smile.

Rob

I wanted to feel that the world could not do without me.
To me, it is transformational to understand and accept that one is not in control. There is the possibility, often poorly exercised, of controlling that which is between the ears. Everything else is illusion or transitory (IMHO).

Almost as transformational is accepting, absent a time machine, that the past cannot be changed, but the future can be. I would say not to regret what you did not do, but exalt what can be done. Have fun on your camino.

falcon269 said:
1. Quit, or
2. Claim a devoutly religious reason, then threaten them with a discrimination lawsuit if they don't make a reasonable accommodation for your religion, such as time off without pay.

3. The company you are working for goes bankrupt :( :( :( , temp until the 13th May, fly into Bordeaux 15th May walk on the Norte and the Primitivo with 2 friends who have been asking you to come with them :D :D :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
NOHOOLIGAN said:
Enough is enough is enough, and I got enough. So I decided to quit and live happily ever after. And I'm happy about it!
Sounds good to me. Our children are grown. Our expenses are way down as we have very few needs and wants. Took early retirement and doing things that I've always wanted to do or doing things that I had not known of before, including el Camino. So, I'll see you March 30 at St. Jean. :D

I second the advice to ask your boss and see what they say.

As a reference point-I am in the U.S. and my company has a generous paid-time off policy by U.S. standards (I get 30 days, including sick and vacation time, not counting whatever I carry over from the previous year). I didn't walk the entire Camino Frances, but this was the longest single vacation I'd been on in a while. I'm not one to advocate quitting your job (having been laid off before, I'm not a fan of being unemployed). When I approached my boss, I had already prepared how I was planning on making this work and could reassure her that it would be okay. I was able to get a lot of things done in advance and laid out contingency plans for things that might have come up. Explain that you would make sure they have access to anything they might need when you are gone. I went through emails and calendars from previous years to anticipate things that could come up (some of my job is cyclical). It was a lot of prep work, but when I got back, it wasn't that stressful, because the office was functioning while I was away.

And if they aren't willing to give you 6 weeks, consider breaking up your Camino over two (or three) trips. A shorter walk is better than none at all. And there is no "correct" length it should be.

Hope it works out.

WOW! I loved this question! I was a Junior flight attendant as i had only flown for 9 years at the time. We "bid" for our days off. I had taken a leave for May and then planned to ask for the last part of April off. My daughter ended up graduating mid April so that blew a hole in my plans. I would not have missed the celebration however so I made it work. I was not a fast walker and ended up with some blisters. I sat out a couple of days here and there. Skipped part of the Meseta.

Good luck with your plans. Europeans have a lot more time off than we have in the US. I wish you luck. It's a good idea to break it into several trips. One part of the camino at a time. The last 100 to Santiago is what they base the Compostella on so if that is important to you you'll want to make a plan to finish it all al once.

lynnejohn said:
If you lived in any of these countries, you wouldn't have to be thinking about quitting your job.Scandinavian countries also have vacation days around 30 days.
However you do it, the Camino will be there should you decide to walk it in sections or make a career change.
Average Vacation Time
Italy 42 days
France 37 days
Germany 35 days
Brazil 34 days
U.K. 28 days
Canada 26 days
Korea 25 days
Japan 25 days
U.S. 13 days

Buen Camino!

This is a great post for a thousand reasons. Thanks for putting it up.

almhath said:
Red1too3 said:

Almha

Almha, some people have started at the beginning of a camino, say in Lisbon, walked as far as their vacation allowed - say to Porto. They went home and came back and started at Porto to Valenca the next time. They went home and came back and started in Valenca to Santiago. As others have stated, the last 100 km are what matters as you ahve to walk this amount to get the compostela, but some want to walk the entire camino, so they do it as time permits. So while you want to and should collect the stamps the entire way, it's the last 100 km that matters the most. Hope this helps - and by the way this is what we are going to do to complete the French Way next year - piece at a time... it's all about the journey :)
Red

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
And just to be clear for those wanting a Compostela, in the last 100 kms you can also walk in stages and at different times - for example you may stop in Portomarin and if you go back to start there again at a later date all you need to do is get a sello on the day you stopped and sello on the day you started again. The last 100 kms does not have to be done in one continuous journey to qualify for the compostela.

Rae2607 said:
Thanks!

Walk the Camino when you are retiered

I share your concerns about time away from work, but I've just basically decided that I'm doing the Camino in 2014 regardless of whether my job gives me the time off or not. In the meantime, I'm saving, paying off debts and just generally downsizing my life in preparation so that I'll be ok either way. I truly believe that once you fully commit to the Camino, a way will be found. Good luck to you!
Tonya

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
AJ way back at the begining had the right idea, live long enough, one might wait until you retire and then can walk it properly giving the Camino the attention and time, plenty of time which is demanded, no guilt, no worries about income on the Camino or when you come back-probably not a good answewr practiclly. However, if anything will absolutely and totally destroy a Camino experience it is the inability to focus in on the Camino itself! Apprehensions about money anxiety about the future, fear of bedbugs, worries about vegetarian meals worries about goodness knows what, all will distract all will derail the myriad opportunities for self-enrichment, the enjoyment of the simple pleasures of life, the camaraderie generated through fellowship with other pilgrims, not to mention anything spiritual which will happen to anyone along the way. Don't give up your dream fight for it but do realize the Camino has been here more than a thousand years, it will still be waiting whenever you do succeed.

Could you talk openly and honestly with the two of them about what you would like to do - a sabbatical - and see what their reply is?

You may be pleasantly surprised!

Buen Camino :wink:

This is a reason that we are not planning to walk the entire Camino. We'll take 2 weeks and start from a spot where we can reasonably finish in that time.

Thank you, all of you, for reminding me of my goal to walk the camino.

I have been very stressed at my job, walking around in a black cloud with a severe case of "I hate everyone." I cried and sometimes vomited at the thought of going into work at a job I hated. I'd had enough. Just when I thought things couldn't get much worse, my beloved younger brother died last Thursday morning. People around me have been wonderfully supportive. Even my boss has let up on me, although I had to go into work Thursday and Friday because of his deadlines.

There is a reason I saw this post today.

I have been everything to everyone, and I'm drowning.

How could I have forgotten this dream to walk the camino? How could I have neglected my soul for so long? I'd forgotten how much I need to clear my head and shed my attachment to possessions and learn to rely on my self.

Thank you, all of you, so much for your timely inspiration. I've been dreaming of my walk for almost 14 years. It's time to start some serious planning.

Blessing upon you all.

Susan, that is sad about your brother. Sometimes it takes a big loss like that to make us re-evaluate our priorities in life.

When you look back on life what do you want to remember - the time you dedicated to your job that no one really appreciates or the life you lived outside of your job? Last year I was in a job that left me stressed, my supervisor was on extended sick leave and I was thrown her job as well as my own and was extremely stressed and felt like quiting but I didn't want to leave them in the lurch - well they ended up "restructuring" and got rid of me with no notice. We are all replaceable when it comes to work.

I have wanted to walk the camino for about 8 years and finally asked myself what I was waiting for and didn't have a real answer. My husband wanted me to explain to him why I want to do this and after trying to explain I told him I didn't need to explain why I am just doing it.

After 14 years of wanting to do this walk you deserve to give this time to yourself.

Yes guys, decide what matters to you and ASK. And if the answer is NO, then find another way.
My husband was going to be sent to work in China for three months and so we told his company that the whole family would be accompanying him. They thought he was joking, but when they realised he wasn't, they also realised his request to take six month's leave at the end of the contract was serious. As it turned out, the fact that we had eight children was a major issue to Chinese politics and he was not allowed to fill the position....but by then we had all started making plans for how we would spend that extra six months. And the plans were a bit big.....so hubby asked for a year's leave without pay and he got it! Then nine months into our trip, he realised a year was not going to be enough :oops: So he asked for another three month's extension. It was granted on the condition that he definitely return. He walked back to a promotion!
Having experienced all sorts of wonderfulness during that fifteen months of living in close quarters with each other, we knew we wanted to do it again before any of the kids left home. We fell across the Camino idea and decided that would be the next goal. Being only a couple of years since getting back from The Big Trip, and with the company clamping down on leave without pay, he was not sure he would get the two months we wanted for a Camino (we did not entertain thought of managing to do it in 30 days due to having young children). His immediate boss worked very hard to make sure we could take this trip. Unfortunately we had a shorter time, but we just changed our plans to amke it work - 300km Camino sandwiched in between a week each in Paris and London, and finish it all off with another of our dreams - to spend a week on a canalboat. We do refer to this trip as "The Camino Trip", but that might become "The First Camino Trip" when we return to do the rest!
We have NO regrets. And I would strongly urge anyone thinking about living a little unconventionally, to give it a go and try to find a way around NO.

Hi Susan!
That is such a sad post ... younger brothers simply shouldn't die before us older ones. That's not the right time sequence. May God give you [and your younger brother's family?] the strength and consolation to carry on.
I have been SO lucky. I have never had a job I didn't enjoy! When a job started being unenjoyable I'd begin looking for another! What a sad state of affairs .... I hope you find a solution soon.
Maybe it's time to start negotiating a "five week sabatical" with the boss, some time between May and September, and begin your planning. You will find so much to encourage you on this forum.
Of course you will finally make your own camino - it takes a lot of preparation, but can be a life-shattering experience of friendship, even love, and satisfaction in discovering again the simple things that make our earthly life a happy and enjoyable one.
Blessings, Susan! May you find your camino soon. And may it be a "Buen Camino!"
Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

It was easy for me as I have 30 days of vacation. Used 25 of them for the Camino. It's a good thing with Sweden. I just wish I had worked for a state owned organization then I would have even more vacation :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked away from everything three years in a row to do the travelling I wanted to do. I told a prospective employer I was about to do the same again as soon as the money was right and he very sensibly ceased to be a prospective employer. In short, the worst happened, as was only to be expected in a rural area with slender job ops...but the worst has been good. I found some superannuation money to live off and have focused on new stuff, without having to put my hand out (not that I disapprove of welfare, but it's not right for me). I would not have taken on the new stuff if I'd found adequate employment. For example, I've realised I live on a lovely piece of land and I need to put my feet on it more often.

Not everyone can or should act the way I did. It was right for this one person at one time in his life. Sometimes I regret not doing it sooner...but how do I know I would have been ready?

The bits of Camino wisdom I've affirmed through the post-Camino experience may sound like a greeting card or wall poster, but too bad. They are: 1) Have faith. 2) Do what's at hand wholeheartedly. 3) Manipulate nothing. Those are the conditions or rules which make risk a good thing. I never really live up to any of them - but they're working for me anyway. Thanks James.

I have the same problem, as I loose my vacation time of the prior year by July 1st if not used. I just can not save enough for five weeks. So I am starting in Namur and walking as far as I can, and next time I'll start there and continue on.

@Beartrice,if you think Sweden has it good try and get a job as a public official in Belgium. I walked with a guy(Johan) who had started from northern Belgium on the 1st of April, he had connected with the Vezlay route, gone via Lourdes, walked one of the hiking routes along the Pyrenees to Hendaye. I innocently asked him over a pint in Oviedo (26 June)what he intended to do at the end of his camino, he said he wasnt sure but he wanted to keep a few weeks holiday in reserve.After a few more questions i had found out that he was tax officer, he had built up his holiday for several months on the camino by doing a few extra hours a week over a period of a couple of years(flexi-time) he was also on full pay.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've bundled 2 weeks from my sept 2013 - sept 2014 vacation with 4 weeks from my sept 2014 - sept 2015 vacation . In otherwords 6 weeks in a row from Sept 15 thru Oct 2014 .

There is no harm is asking.

Being a manager myself, I find it important that all the work which needs to be done is not dependent of any particular person. Anyone needs to be able to go on holiday, to get ill or to go on pregnancy leave. If a person is not able to leave, I didn't do a proper job, the organistion doesn't function in a healthy way. Another value for me is that any person needs to be able to adjust there work according to their personal needs and ability. It is good for motivation and for the balans of people. Any organisation has a proces of a continuing adjustment to external changes anyway, employers changes are only a small part of it. I ask people to be flexible and also want the organisation to be flexible.
These are my personal values to which I also work according to. In that sense it is not a strange thing that I love walking the camino myself and follow this forum.
So a few times employees came to me and asked extra (unpaid) leave. Every time it was possible to make an arrangment were the person was happy with and the organisation could continue functioning.
I'm quit surprised to read how rigid many people need to function in their job.
Be free, be flexible!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thomas I completely agree with you but the harsh reality in many counties outside of Europe is quite different.
Having worked in the US and in several European countries (last 20 in The Netherlands) I have experienced the cultural difference in attitude towards vacation/personal time.

To make the Camino happen one may need to be a bit daring (have the balls to ask for the time off) and/or thrifty (some of us have to take an unpaid leave of absence and save prior to departure). Overcoming potential fears is part of the Camino and in my experience well worth it!
If you don't ask, you will never know.

I work in healthcare in the US. I get at least four weeks every year, more if I don't call in sick. I try to take month off each fall and go walking. I also take a couple weeks to volunteer adult mentor teaching kids backcountry skills, as well as a big backpacking trip with friends too. It's all about priorities and sacrifice. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm currently saving to leave for a year or more of travel and walking.

With 25 years in at Buster Brown I get 6 weeks vacation plus 5 personal days and 5 sick days. By our Y
Teamster contract, we even get 5 hours of overtime in each vacation week check.

I certainly don't want anyone to think I don't receive vacation time - I do, in fact, get a decent amount of paid time off that accumulates and rolls over each year (which is quite unusual for American companies). Currently, I max out at 240 vacation hours - more than enough to take off for 5 weeks or so, but that's not the issue.
I work for workaholics - one of my bosses is here at 6:30am and doesn't leave until after 5pm most days. She does take about 2 weeks off during Christmas and a week or so in the summer, but never more than that.
The CEO hasn't taken a vacation in over 15 years. His assistant can barely take off more than one day at a time without coming in or calling or emailing work.
The problem isn't being given the vacation time to take - it's being allowed to take that much time all at once. Also, I have many responsibilites that would fall back on the 3 other Administrative Assistants I work with - and I would feel guilty doing that to them.
But like I said, I have a feeling that by the time my camino comes around, I will be ready to move on to something better and will just have to say good-bye to my current job. I really think it will be for the best.
I am most definitely NOT a workaholic - I work to live, I don't live to work. So this adventure is much more important to me than any job. After all, no one ever says on their death bed, "I sure wish I would have spent more time at work."

While I realize you posted this 2 years ago, I still just had to respond. Those folks you work for probably believe they are living the "American Dream". However, in my view it's more a nightmare. Don't let yourself be sucked into that life. I hope by this time you've completed your camino and (like me) are anxious to go again.

Great thread!!!!
When we went this fall, we found that we were in a slightly "off" age group. Please realize that, on the camino, perceptions are sometimes limited to that instant slice in time along the trail, the people that you see and the ones you associate with.

That said, we found that the ones we encountered were generally slightly older (we are about 50 and a bit) or quite a bit younger. Very few of the people we met were in the same close age range.

The ones that were slightly older, generally late 50s to mid 60s) generally were retired and usually quite recently....quite a few the day before leaving or in the midst of huge life changes.....split ups, sold home, major illness recovery, trying to "find themselves" etc.

The younger had more freedom due to their current stage of life.....in university and taking a year off, just graduated, on their own, etc.

There were 30s and 40s women travelling together with spouses at home taking care of life/kids etc. but didn't encounter many men in same position.

The currently working ones that we encountered were teachers or government workers on a sabbatical, or self employed like us.

However, for us it was a time when we are looking at getting out of the business, slowing down and travelling a lot more. The big change in our life was being empty-nesters as of a week before leaving, dropping off our youngest at university and hopping on the plane for Spain.
The OP seems to have many good suggestions already and also seems to have a plan in mind so I won't try to give advice there.

Rae-- I have been doing my Camino in sections because, much like yourself, my place of employment will not authorize leave absence of more than 2 weeks at a time. So, every year I plan my next section, save wisely, and savor every second of it. This may be the reason why I can retrace every step and can remember every town and every day I have spent on the Camino. This is MY pilgrimage and I plan to finish it within my circumstances.

The position you described seems to be of great responsibility and those are choices we make. It seems to me you are thinking of a Camino in a manner that is not practical for your situation and, in doing so, placing unneeded pressure in a planning process that should be of joyful anticipation. By all means plan your Camino but recalibrate your expectations, accept that you are in a job situation where compromises on BOTH sides have to be made and roll with that. I suggest you start at SJPDP, plan a 2-week section and go back to your job. See what happens. It will be clear as day what to do next. Do not walk the Camino before walking the Camino-- nothing meant to be is complicated.

Hope you HAD a Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I also had this dilemma when we decided to go on Camino. I had worked for the same company for over 20 years, took a 2 week vacation once, all others were 1 week or less. I told the boss I was going and that I would take care of everything as far as my position went. I hired a guy and realized that he wasn't going to cut it, so I thought, who could do my work for 6 weeks and then stay on at the company in another position? So I hired (stole) my brother from another company :) I trained him for nearly a year and he picked everything up quickly. Now, what about the house and the dog? We planned our trip for when our son would be home from college and working for the summer. My wife laid everything out as far as the bill paying and he just had to mow the grass and keep the dog alive for 6 weeks, no problem ;)

All was set in place until 2 days before we were leaving. My boss had some surgery, but was going to be back long before we left. Then 2 days before, he had some complications and went into the hospital. I talked to him and he said it was just minor, go on your trip. Found out when I got back that he told the employees not to say anything to me while I was gone (got international phone, just in case of work emergency). He was in the hospital for 25 days while I was gone!! Everything worked out well, and I paid some nice bonuses to the people who helped keep things going.

Only other problem was that I found out I could have pastured a herd of cattle in my yard while we were away, now I know why my son said the mower wasn't working properly. Can't mow grass that is 8 inches tall :)

The point of all this is that things will go wrong whether you are there or not, you just need the right people to take care of the problems until you get back. Now I just have to figure out how I can do it all again in a couple of years :)

@Beartrice,if you think Sweden has it good try and get a job as a public official in Belgium. I walked with a guy(Johan) who had started from northern Belgium on the 1st of April, he had connected with the Vezlay route, gone via Lourdes, walked one of the hiking routes along the Pyrenees to Hendaye. I innocently asked him over a pint in Oviedo (26 June)what he intended to do at the end of his camino, he said he wasnt sure but he wanted to keep a few weeks holiday in reserve.After a few more questions i had found out that he was tax officer, he had built up his holiday for several months on the camino by doing a few extra hours a week over a period of a couple of years(flexi-time) he was also on full pay.

This system will end gradually in the next years in this country. No full pay for civil servants. Too expensive.

One of the benefits in working as a seasonal employee (tax preparation services). My busy season is January thru April and even though I work off-season, I am take off 8 weeks! Can't wait until May 20th when I head out! Sorry for gloat, but I am so excited to finally have a job that me, not me the job. Been there, done that!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A commitment to doing the Camino means putting it above everything else. That's assuming it's far more than a vacation. If it's just a vacation then you do it in segments.
I am willing to bet that when all is said and done the things I sacrifice and accomplish so that I am able to, at least, complete this pilgrimage IN SECTIONS makes it a MORE MEANINGFUL pilgrimage that many that have the opportunity to do it all at once. I could use my two weeks to go to Costa del Sol or the Bahamas; THAT is a vacation. Instead, I prepare mentally, physically, and spiritually to offer the (limited) time in the Camino to connect with God, nature, and others. ( moderator edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
It took me a long time to retire from public service ( i was never allowed more than two weeks continuous leave) then, at last, I had the time to walk the Frances from StJdP. I had always wanted to walk the distance. I love, loved, still love walking long distances in continuous journeys, letting the landscape and the journey unfold. But on my first trip I met many people whose commitment was far greater than mine, in my opinion. They devoted every opportunity that arose, their limited leave from work, to walk segments of a contiguous journey. Me, I just waited till I'd retired, they, they committed, sacrificed, their limited time to pilgrimage.

me, well now i work to make the money to pay the bills to give me time to walk again. How do I manage to get 5 weeks out of work? I work the other 47.

Where I work has an arrangement where I can 'buy leave' over and above my normal allocation. Its pretty much the same as taking a pay cut but gets me more time to travel when I want to. It spreads the pain over the whole year - much nicer than taking the time off without pay. Getting five contiguous weeks off is still difficult, but has been possible so far.

It is clear that not everyone is able or even wants to take 4+ weeks off. Whether you walk one day, one week or one month is IMHO totally irrelevant. As far as I know a pilgrimage is not time-bound.
We were very fortunate and happy that we could do the entire Camino in one trip. I was afraid that if we split it up, we would never get back to it. We met several people that were doing their 3rd, 4th, even 5th Camino. We asked each other "Why?, this is a once in a lifetime experience." Ha, not anymore, we can't wait to go again, even if we have to split the next one into segments. What an experience :)

Maybe I'm crazy or naive or live in a fantasy world BUT. I will inform my employer that I'm going and they can offer me a leave without pay and give me my job back or I can quit. As a well educated American, I am entitled to bupkis (nothing) in the work force. I work in addiction counseling and there is a never ending supply (sadly) of clients and agencies that can use me. And if I don't take time for adventures, I start to wonder why I do the work that I do and what the point is. There is so much misery out there it starts becoming infectious. I re-charge so I can spread the joy... But I don't own anything either and have almost zero debt. Maybe that's all a bunch of BS. I think one has to ask one's self "Which is more important right now"?
These are my thoughts.

The traditional start was at your doorstep. Many pilgrims went to Paris, then joined groups which formed at the Tour St Jacques in Paris. If you start an artificial place such as SJPP, and just walk the Frances, it could be said you are just another tourist on vacation. Conversely, a deeply religious person saving money to fly from Maine to Santiago to pray at the cathedral could be said to be a true pilgrim.

Last edited:
...now returning to the original topic of getting time off to walk a Camino...

ADDED:
Some previous posts have been moderated due to remarks directed toward other posters.

A reminder to keep the original thread topic in mind as far as possible.
Personal remarks directed toward others are not tolerated.

Last edited:
My husband was a head gardener and his employers agreed to 4 months off - as long as he replaced himself! He got someone to stand in - let them have our house to live in too - as long as he fed the cats. Several years later we are working in the South of France for the winter - helping the replacement guy! Even better - the Chemin St. Jacques (Camino) passes the garden... So now we have plans to walk across Provence...
We are unlucky/lucky enough to not have children, and made a conscious effort to choose work which can be flexible. In the future we plan to rent out our home, live in a tiny camper and work as much as we need so we can charge off on pilgrimage, cycles and kayak journeys! We also plan to work for people on the HelpX network so we can use our gardening skills and visit beautiful parts of the world. We make our choices in life - and then have to live with them...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My personal experience in this regard is that it is incredibly difficult to get this time off without some sort of repercussion, be it unpaid leave or uncollected comments and snide remarks about your dedication to your job, and even calling into question the quality of your work by your colleagues. It is amazing how people can become experts at your job in a matter of days.

I have tried to take a positive view on this, and say "the right thing" but that wouldn't be in the spirit of relaying actual experience.

It depends entirely on the environment in which you work, and the support (genuine, honest support) that you get from your colleagues and management team. If you are fortunate enough to have this support, and are willing to make some sacrifices (be it leave without pay, etc), then you are one of the blessed ones. It is a rare thing.

In my instance, this was not the case. I would have walked 800km with a huge monkey on my back, and felt sick to the pit of my stomach at the thought of returning to the office because of the tension that would exist. I acknowledge that it is difficult to predict an environment, and no two environments are the same. I wish everyone here the gift of a supportive employer and team, so that you can bring the gifts of the Camino back to share with them in the spirit that it was intended.

Everyone has a story. Mine might make you think I am crazy, or soon will be.

I have all the time I can handle as I am on Long Term Disability leave, for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. So, time
I have, enthusiasm I have, but physical ability, not so much. I travel with enough meds to stock a pharmacy. May the customs officials smile on me.

But it won't kill me. Uncomfortable, painful, and exhausted to tears most days maybe. I am calling it a LSD Camino. Long Slow Distance. Only starting from Burgos probably where I will recover from travel and spend Santa Semana getting my head and heart ready. My days will be mostly short, and I have nothing to prove so if it means a bus, lots of rest days. It is mine and over the years I have learned to adapt experiences to get the core of what I desire from an experience in a way I can handle.

I am still waiting for some final details to be in place before I can book..then deal with house security, lawn, dog, parking and GO. April 10 is my hope.

So for time off? Be careful what you wish for.

Sad thing about life--rare is the person who has money, time and health at the same time.

Good on you Quietwun! I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 23 years ago and it really messed my life up. I don't need to tell you how the pain, fatigue and myriad other symptoms made life confusing and sometimes unbearable. But whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger... I undertook my pilgrimage whilst ill and allowed enough time, medication and flexibility to eventually make it. I'm sure that success has been part of my recent recovery. After trying every medication, every therapy, every strange pill, potion and powder, every exercise, diet, and detox, after spending thousands on private doctors and alternative therapies i finally found the answer... (It started with 'The Divided Mind' by Dr John Sarno, led to the TMSwiki website, then 'Freedom from Fibromyalgia' by Nancy Selfridge, and hours every day for the last 10 months of intensive work on myself) I am ecstatically happy to say - I am healthy - I am working - a physical job, gardening and garden design. For the first time in over twenty years - I am myself again! I got my life back...
So good on you for making the decision to go on pilgrimage - you will make it - you will get there, you may be the tortoise - but who got there in the end?! Please look at the books/website I mentioned above as I hope they can be of some help to you as well.
As you say - rare is the person with money, time and health - and those of us who have experienced the loss of health know which is the most precious...
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Everyone has a story. Mine might make you think I am crazy, or soon will be.

I have all the time I can handle as I am on Long Term Disability leave, for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. So, time
I have, enthusiasm I have, but physical ability, not so much. I travel with enough meds to stock a pharmacy. May the customs officials smile on me.

But it won't kill me. Uncomfortable, painful, and exhausted to tears most days maybe. I am calling it a LSD Camino. Long Slow Distance. Only starting from Burgos probably where I will recover from travel and spend Santa Semana getting my head and heart ready. My days will be mostly short, and I have nothing to prove so if it means a bus, lots of rest days. It is mine and over the years I have learned to adapt experiences to get the core of what I desire from an experience in a way I can handle.

I am still waiting for some final details to be in place before I can book..then deal with house security, lawn, dog, parking and GO. April 10 is my hope.

So for time off? Be careful what you wish for.

Sad thing about life--rare is the person who has money, time and health at the same time.
quietwun-- I would be honored to encounter you and share time on the Camino. Love your attitude. BUEN CAMINO!!

. I wish everyone here the gift of a supportive employer and team, so that you can bring the gifts of the Camino back to share with them in the spirit that it was intended.
Your post reflects real life, not wishful thinking. Bravo!

quietwun-- I would be honored to encounter you and share time on the Camino. Love your attitude. BUEN CAMINO!!
I simply got old and retired, thus having too much time. :)

I am between jobs right now and am using the threeish months I have to do it. It seems you are quite employable and that you should find something when you get back.

I'm very fortunate. I work for the Australian Government and have done for more than 14 years. This means that, in addition to the annual leave I get each year, I also get long service leave each year. I have been able to save up enough leave to enable me to spend six weeks walking the Camino this coming September. It also helps that my employer takes a supportive attitude towards its staff taking long periods of leave.

I have both boss and subordinates, including an admin, and if my critical staff tells me that she would like to take 5 weeks off for 'vacation', I would be a bit surprised, but no way would I terminate her job because of this! And, if she explains the reason, I am sure I can pick up the slack for 5 weeks without too much undue stress, and become her cheerleader in the process :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks!

How do you manage to avoid changing your life, not leading it the way the Universe meant for you to live? You don't do anything. As for the Camino, just do it. You will be just fine.

Last edited:
I have both boss and subordinates, including an admin, and if my critical staff tells me that she would like to take 5 weeks off for 'vacation', I would be a bit surprised, but no way would I terminate her job because of this! And, if she explains the reason, I am sure I can pick up the slack for 5 weeks without too much undue stress, and become her cheerleader in the process :)
Good for you. But I suspect you are in the minority.

Work in the school district! We need good people. Turn over rate is high, especially in the States, especially rural areas. And summertime is time off.

I work as a special care aide for kindergarten and 1st grade disabled children...LOVE my job. Imagine if schools subsidized teacher Camino walks! Our teachers would be so strong and focused!

Another thought is: try to be such an invaluable employee that they will do anything to keep you, even let you go on Camino!

Met lots of folks who owned their own business, also waitresses who can save up, quit, and easily get another job when they return.

It might come down to restructuring your life, material "needs", job etc. so that you can do the things you dream of, and not let anything get in your way.

BUEN CAMINO!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks!
Move to Ireland and become a teacher= 12 weeks off for summer!!! Camino here I come!

Move to Australia, get a permanent job and after 10 years you get long service leave of 3 months.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jnlee99 said:
Good for you. But I suspect you are in the minority.

I suspect that as well. I work with quite a few people who never even take vacations and don't understand the need for them - and some are in management positions. I don't think the request for a long vacation and unpaid leave to go on "some walk" would be well received by those managers. Then there are managers in many companies who may be supportive of someone taking 5-6 weeks off, but could not authorize it even if they wanted to due to company policy. Most Americans don't have 5-6 weeks of vacation time each year and many companies do not have provisions for unpaid leave except under the required situations, such as family leave.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back