• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you manage to overcome your language learning laziness?

The best App I have found is News In Slow Spanish. Take a look and PM me if interested. I am a member of a study group which gets a very good discount. I gain no benefit financially or otherwise and those who decide to subscribe pay directly to NISS via their website. Just thought it might be helpful.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think the original language (with / without subtitles) rather than dubbing is key. When we were walking in Portugal we noticed on TVs and bars and Albergues that English / American programs were in their original language, with subtitles - not dubbed. More so than in Spain, at least some years go. We spoke of this with one albergue owner, as an episode of Friends played in English in the background, and he said original language with subtitles was a deliberate Government decision with the objective of improving spoken English. 😎
And, anecdotal observation, it has worked! (Though I've never heard that this was a government decision; more likely the economics of studios dubbing into continental Portuguese just didn't add up in terms of potential viewership, so distributors went with subtitles.)

You're likely run into far more English-speaking locals in Portugal, at least in the midsized towns and bigger, than in Spain.

I think the original language (with / without subtitles) rather than dubbing is key. When we were walking in Portugal we noticed on TVs and bars and Albergues that English / American programs were in their original language, with subtitles - not dubbed. More so than in Spain, at least some years go. We spoke of this with one albergue owner, as an episode of Friends played in English in the background, and he said original language with subtitles was a deliberate Government decision with the objective of improving spoken English. 😎

And, anecdotal observation, it has worked! (Though I've never heard that this was a government decision; more likely the economics of studios dubbing into continental Portuguese just didn't add up in terms of potential viewership, so distributors went with subtitles.)

I have heard it yet another way, that the stopping of dubbing in Portugal in the 1970s was the government's way of trying to encourage the local film industry by way of making English-language films incomprehensible to locals. Instead, the Portuguese kept watching those films, learned English better, and didn't make their own films. That story does seem a bit of a stretch but I like it anyway. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
... or as we say in German "Wie überwindet man seinen inneren Schweinehund?"

About a year ago I decided to learn Spanish so I could survive better on Camino routes that were less travelled than the Camino Francés. But so far I re-started two times and never really got further than ¡Hola!, ¡Adiós! and Soy el señor Blumenau. While on the grand scale I am highly motivated, I lack daily motivation and hence there is no consistency in my learning and progress is painfully slow.

I am using Babble, which I like, and I will borrow a textbook probably.

My native language is German and I started learning English at an early age – partly thanks to a considerable fraction of my relatives being British and partly thanks to several Regiments of the British Army being stationed in my German hometown.
At school, our first official foreign language to learn was ancient Latin and I also experimented a bit with ancient Greek at the time – it was a traditional almost Hogwarts-style school (without the magic, sadly 😉) tracing its roots back to the year 799 AD and Charlemagne.
At that age learning languages was fun, natural and weekly progress was really fast.

But things appear to have changed a lot since 😶 I first realised this when 10 years ago I started learning Swedish: Progress was incredibly slow, picking up the right pronunciation was close to impossible and motivation was always an issue.
The same happens now with my Spanish learning efforts. And what makes it worse, while for Swedish I still had the advantage of moving to Sweden, for Spanish there is no pressure on me.

I guess this is more of a rant than asking for advice, but any tips are as welcome as is any co-ranting 🤣
I started using Duolingo to learn spanish about 6 months before I went on the Camino Frances. I still do it daily now 6 years later and when I was in Guatemala and more recently Costa Rica, it helped a great deal. I'm no where fluent but, like you, I'm generally a bit lazy about language learning and well... learning in general. But I find Duolingo Spanish is a lot of fun. I guess kinda like how some folks like video games...I like Duolingo. I'm in the highest league and I enjoy the challenge. BTW I am going to hike Del Norte in October 2023 and I'm soooo happy I kept up with my Spanish. Buen Camino.

Hi, Pilgrims:

The posting on this thread have been very well inspiring and motivational.

I am bilingual (Spanish and English), studied both languages simultaneously in all grade levels, even when at higher education. In other thread, I mentioned that I was born in a Caribbean island, the language most used is Spanish; have visited Spain several times and although I do not the accent as a Spaniard, I am understood whenever I interact with them. There may be certain words that may be different meaning or usage.

One method of learning is to get the basics and then immerse in the language. Currently, I am learning Italian; began with Duolingo, but reached a level that needed more challenge and switched to Babbel, I think my understanding and confidence to have a conversation.

This happened to my wife and me while visiting Italy. We were with a group and the afternoon before returning home, we went to buy some souvenirs for our children; we entered a shop to look around and found something. Asked the shopkeeper about the item (he noticed) that my Italian was limited, so he spoke in English (which was also a bit broken) that he learned with his interaction with tourists. We reach an agreement, he would talk to me in English and I would talk him in Italian. To make this story short, we spend over and hour talking, when there was a mistake, we would stop for correction.

So, motivate yourself; don’t place excuses that would prevent you from learning whatever you want. Frustrations will surface many times, when this happens, maybe it is time to stop and let your memory bank register the new information.

Hope this helps with motivating your learning of the Spanish language.

Ivan_Prada
One of the many semi-successful strategies in learning Portuguese, for me, was kind of like this.

(I should preface this: we don't have a car, when we are living in Portugal, so we walk, bus, train or when needing to go somewhere local-ish that the buses don't easily go, we take a taxi. Portuguese taxis are pretty cheap.)

Our local taxi in Barquinha is a service run by a family, where both adults run taxis. It's the luck of the draw, and whether it's after-school hours or not, which taxi you get. When we get the wife's taxi, I'm in luck. My French is better than my Portuguese, after 6 years in high school--but it's not great. Our taxi driver spent many years in Switzerland, and speaks fluent French as well as her native Portuguese. We've arrived at an arrangement, over the last 5 years of our intermittent presence in Barquinha. She chats with me in French, which I mostly understand, and requires me to respond in Portuguese, which she then corrects.

I found that this year, after a year of weekly online Portuguese classes while I've been away, I've progressed to the extent that she can mostly speak to me in slow Portuguese instead of French. She still corrects me, which is great. Amazing what you can do in a 15-minute taxi ride!

But of course this technique is not too useful for someone just passing through the country. I highly recommend spending a bit on online classes. My Portuguese classes, taught from Portugal and including students from Canada, US, South Africa, Ireland, UK, and Portugal itself, have been invaluable and don't take too much scheduled time. A lot of the work between classes can be done when it fits in your own schedule.

Last edited:
I have heard it yet another way, that the stopping of dubbing in Portugal in the 1970s was the government's way of trying to encourage the local film industry by way of making English-language films incomprehensible to locals. Instead, the Portuguese kept watching those films, learned English better, and didn't make their own films. That story does seem a bit of a stretch but I like it anyway. ;)
This story would make some sense, if it happened post-revolution (mid-70s). They had a lot of interesting policies.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am a linguaphile, so my motivation is innate. But something that is not only enjoyable but speeds up the learning is to read interesting things in the language, selecting (if possible) ones that are at a suitable level. For example, a "juvenile fiction" book I read in Italian. I probably did not know half the words, but the other half were enough to enjoy the story, and many of the ones I didn't know just sort of sunk in along the way.

To train my ear and improve pronunciation, I find a source of audio with text and read along while listening. Audiobooks or bible (two sites with many languages are https://bible.is and https://bible.com)

See also https://www.fluentin3months.com/handcrafted/ and https://rhinospike.com

Let me respond from the point of view of someone who is currently (but not always) highly motivated in language learning, and who is married to a fanatical language learner (@Wendy Werneth).

A word @Arctic_Alex used three times in the OP is motivation, and this is of course the key to everything. People often say about Wendy something like, 'She is so motivated to learn languages'. And she is.

But let's say you have a friend who likes watching movies. Perhaps every week they go to the cinema 1-2 times and watch several more movies at home. Would anyone say that they are 'motivated' to watch movies? No. And why not? Because in our minds, we categorise watching movies (or sports, or other such activities) as something that is inherently fun, while language learning is categorised as study, something that is not fun and therefore that requires motivation (the generally poor level of instruction in foreign languages at school is a large contributing factor in this, but that's a conversation for another day).

So the short answer is this: make language learning fun.

I asked Wendy to reply to this thread and she declined because she essentially does not understand not being motivated in language learning. It's inherently fun for her so she doesn't need to motivate herself, just like the person who likes watching movies doesn't need to be motivated to watch a new movie.

Making language learning fun is easier said than done, of course, and even more so at a beginner level when you can't access a lot of great material. But the key to it is essentially this: do what you like doing in your native language in your target language, and then it will be fun for you.

We are understandably focused on speaking in language learning. And of course, speaking well tends to be the end goal, and for good reason. But in your own language, you do far more input than output. And that's the second key: input (that is, listening/watching and reading). Input is how you unlock output in a foreign language -- i.e. it's how your learned your native language as a child. And, if you consume the right content for you, it can be fun simply to consume it, so that the learning happens naturally as a byproduct.

For example, I listen to history podcasts (e.g. Hardcore History, The History of Rome etc) for fun in English; therefore, it makes sense if my level is high enough that I would do the same in Italian, which is my current focus language (e.g. Storia d'Italia).

As a second example, I have always enjoyed reading fantasy-type books in English as a child and as an adult (e.g. Narnia, Tolkien's books, Harry Potter etc). So I am doing the same in Italian. In the last three months I have read 8.5 books written by the Italian adolescent fantasy author Licia Troisi. I read them in LingQ which is (among other things) essentially a tool to help you to read in a foreign language. I have read about 30 books by the Spanish adolescent fantasy author Laura Gallego in the last 12 years. Reading her most famous trilogy (Memórias de Idhún) was literally the biggest factor in allowing me to take the next step in Spanish. Reading is magic, as Wendy says.

These are just examples of the kinds of things you can do, according to your own interests. If you like music, listen to music in your target language. If you like soap operas, watch soap operas in your target language. Use tools like LingQ (and I'm sure there are others) to import books or content from YouTube or Netflix or wherever to assist with things like transcriptions/subtitles to allow for greater understanding. This content would ideally but not necessarily be aimed at native speakers, including at children for beginner learners.

The two themes I hear again and again when polyglots speak about their language learning success are to listen/read extensively, and to do it every day. Consuming content that you're interested in motivates you and gives you the grounding in the language that you need in order to be able to speak well.

In today's connected world, there is an enormous amount of content available to consume for major languages (including Spanish, obviously, as that's likely to be our focus here -- Notes in Spanish is one good example at multiple levels). The excuse of not being in the country where the language is spoken is, these days, just that.

I live in Portugal but with my current language focus, I am exposed to far, far more Italian than Portuguese on a daily basis, because I am choosing to surround myself with Italian through listening, reading and iTalki conversations. For example, I just watched a 25-minute video on Dante before writing this post, and when I finish this post I'm going to read the transcript of the video to enhance my understanding of what I watched and to pick up some new language along the way (listening and having access to the transcript is gold). I once took a course in English on Dante for fun, so watching this video in Italian was also fun.

In a nutshell: figure out how to consume lots of content in your target language in a way that is fun for you. That's when you reach the secret Wendy level where language learning is fun, motivation is inbuilt and when you wake up each morning you can't wait to get started on it.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Apps like duolingo have realised they can making language learning fun through gamification, but they are not actually very effective by themselves.
This pretty much encapsulates the keys to success in learning a language, according to a number of those that have succeeded. You have to be motivated, you have to practice every day, you have to learn it doing something you enjoy, don't fear making mistakes (and a couple of other points that I can't immediately remember!)

Immersion has immense benefits too.

Personally, my experience is that the first time being able to understand someone speaking a foreign language is wonderfully rewarding.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked round and round in my restricted 5km radius during COVID lockdown listening to podcasts called Spanish With Paul Mini Courses. I was due to fly out from Australia to do my second Camino on 1st April, 2020. Well, I had 2 extra years to look forward to it, and eventually walked March- April 2022.

I teach English to migrants voluntarily & totally relate to the challenge of learning a foreign language. My second language is Chirades. I am now quite fluent. 😄

I have just checked the English guidebook section "How to communicate with locals when abroad". SPEAK. LOUDER. AND. SLOWER. IN. ENGLISH. This apparently works in all countries. Allegedly

Many years ago on my first trip to Hong Kong, I received this advice from an Englishman who had lived there for a few years.

"If the taxi driver does not understand you, repeat where you want to go loudly in a heavy theatrical Chinese accent".

My first attempt speaking normally failed dismally.

"wha.......wha" and a puzzled look.

So I tried a heavy fake Chinese accent and repeated my self.

"Ah..............OK..........."

It worked! :rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have just checked the English guidebook section "How to communicate with locals when abroad". SPEAK. LOUDER. AND. SLOWER. IN. ENGLISH. This apparently works in all countries. Allegedly
This is something I've always disparaged but I'm beginning to have second thoughts as I learn Spanish. I know that if I am having difficulty in understanding Spanish, it will help if the Spanish speaker does something similar in Spanish.

Clearly, if the person spoken to has no English at all, this will be of no use. But if they have some (which is becoming more frequently the case) it might actually help.

Maybe we should just give up. Also maybe this should be about Americans but who would believe that they would be waiting at a bus stop?

A Swiss man, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two Englishmen are waiting.

"Entschuldigung, koennen Sie Deutsch sprechen?" he says.

The two Englishmen just stare at him.

"Excusez-moi, parlez vous Francais?" The two continue to stare.

"Parlare Italiano?" No response.

"Hablan ustedes Espanol?" Still nothing.

The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted.

The first Englishman turns to the second and says, "Maybe we should learn a foreign language...."

"Why?" says the other, "That bloke knew four and it didn't do him any good."

Maybe we should just give up. Also maybe this should be about Americans but who would believe that they would be waiting at a bus stop?

A Swiss man, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two Englishmen are waiting.

"Entschuldigung, koennen Sie Deutsch sprechen?" he says.

The two Englishmen just stare at him.

"Excusez-moi, parlez vous Francais?" The two continue to stare.

"Parlare Italiano?" No response.

"Hablan ustedes Espanol?" Still nothing.

The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted.

The first Englishman turns to the second and says, "Maybe we should learn a foreign language...."

"Why?" says the other, "That bloke knew four and it didn't do him any good."
😳 (I'm Swiss)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had a pastor once, who had a growing congregation of hispanohablantes. He came to me one Sunday and asked what was the easiest way for him to learn Spanish.

I quickly responded, "Get a girlfriend who only speaks Spanish." I could see he was not ready to take that course of action. I imagined his brain physically cramping, like the calf of my leg was cramping two weeks into our Camino in September.

After a few moments he said, "I can't do that, I have a wife and children!"

Oh, well, I guess you are going to have to do it the hard way.

What do you mean?

Immersion therapy. Spaced repetition. Reading. Netflix in Spanish. And etc.,

Personally, I like walking with audio books. In fact my neighbors call me, "Walks-With-Audio-Books."

Here's my suggestion: https://www.audible.com/pd/Learn-Sp...on_code=ASSGB149080119000H&share_location=pdp

Just my opinion, but I think Spanglish is the best language to learn for the Camino. It allows you to dialogue with the locals and many of the extranjeros speak some English. Yup, my Spanglish, me ayudar, mucho, in the scorchio days caminando and eating my WAY por the Norte of Spain. ¡Viva la Meseta!
I am sooo fluent in Spanglish. Now just need to work on more “Span” than “glish”. For my part, I am working on listening comprehension through podcasts and I have trained the Netflix algorithm to feed me Spanish language programs (with English subs).

I’ll give Duolingo another try for vocab, but the cartoons and the way that they gate you through sections has always frustrated me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I received a newsletter in my inbox today from Luca Lampariello, a famous Italian polyglot. Here are some of his words of wisdom about language learning from the newsletter:

There's a very useful lesson here that can be applied to any target language: the more you actively surround yourself with a language, the easier it will be to learn.

And when I say "actively surround yourself" with the language, I don't just mean study more—I mean weave the language into the very fabric of your life!

The best way to get started with this is to think of all the things you currently do (or would like to do) in your native language, and instead work towards doing those things in your target language.

For example:
  • If you listen to podcasts, find a show in your target language about topics you love.
  • If you enjoy watching a TV series, watch it dubbed or subtitled in your target language.
  • If you have a favorite book or book series, pick up a translated version.
Anything goes, really, so long as you're connecting your target language with your favorite hobbies and habits, and the things that make you, you!

Great thread! My problem is this: I have been learning Dutch slowly for a number of years (thanks to meeting a Dutch guy on the CF in 2007) and have finally passed all of the state exams. It was a long struggle, prolonged by my continent hopping. I am back in Spain for a short period for the first time since we walked the VdLP in 2017, and I find that, with every attempt to utter a Spanish word, something Dutch pops into my head and sometimes out of my mouth.

Admittedly, my multilingual Dutch partner has no hesitation to speak what I refer to as his 'bullshit Spanish' (sometimes with an Italian accent). If he doesn't know a word, he makes sh*t up, and it seems to work much of the time.

Between the two factors, I have become reluctant to challenge myself. No excuse, I know. I suspect that a period of immersion is the only solution, following which I hope that I can still cope with Dutch...

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.