• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you secure your backpack from theft as checked luggage.

Returning to the original question - you don't secure your backpack against theft. You may do your best to make access difficult, or to protect the pack, but the very best way to protect anything against theft.. complete sentence in less than ten words!!! 😁 Wishing you, OP, and all, trouble free journeys with your luggage, on board or in the hold.
We've given up the on idea that we will be able to take our Osprey 36 packs onboard as hand luggage on a long haul flight from Australia. That leaves us with having to check them in and hoping they arrive in Lyon at the same time as us, some 30 odd hours and three changes later. (Via Podiensis).
We'll be taking anything of value out of the packs and in hand luggage, but any suggestions on how to secure against any theft from the packs that will be in the hold would be appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Perhaps in the quieter months we should have a thread on "What's gone missing from your luggage"? Am sure that would get a few answers and put the pan-global question of wrapping your luggage into perspective.

We could have a competition between continents as to which are the most inventive protecting it.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Nobody talks about your backpacks in busses in Spain or Portugal.
Traveling e.g.to Ferrol on the Caminho Ingles or from or to Porto or any airport.
Busses have enormous luggage compartments underneath with big horizontal lifting doors at both sides of the bus.
you sit like a king waiting in the bus to go ,meanwhile your precious luggage is unattented underneath you. The driver is checking tickets or covid related documents .
Nobody takes care about the wide opened compartment especially at the left side of the bus .
There are many stories on this forum about this matter.
I noticed it myself taken the bus from Santiago to Ferrol. It stopped nearby a market.
Doors wide open ,people placing prams, bags full of vegetables etc , queing up to get it the bus and the luggage compartment was open for over 5 minutes just in a normal street. We coupled our packs together with two musketon hooks so a thief in a hurry does not expect a double pack .

And when the bus stopped I went out the bus to keep an eye on our belongings which by the way always are packed in a fluorescent yellow transportbag/raincover.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We're going pack hunting this weekend with the REI member 20% off coupon so a trip to Fort Collins, CO. My husband has two old Ospreys and the one he likes best weighs 4 pounds. I will also look at what they may have for checked bag items and security while we are there.

Interesting thread. Nobody talks about your backpacks in busses in Spain or Portugal.
Traveling e.g.to Ferrol on the Caminho Ingles or from or to Porto or any airport.
Busses have enormous luggage compartments underneath with big horizontal lifting doors at both sides of the bus.
you sit like a king waiting in the bus to go ,meanwhile your precious luggage is unattented underneath you. The driver is checking tickets or covid related documents .
Nobody takes care about the wide opened compartment especially at the left side of the bus .
I noticed it myself taken the bus from Santiago to Ferrol. It stopped nearby a market.
Doors wide open ,people placing prams, bags full of vegetables etc , queing up to get it the bus and the luggage compartment was open for over 5 minutes just in a normal street. We coupled our packs together with two musketon hooks so a thief in a hurry does not expect a double pack .

And when the bus stopped I went out the bus to keep an eye on our belongings which by the way always are packed in a fluorescent yellow transportbag/raincover.
Yes, I have also been alarmed at times in albergues when packs are just left unattended in a big pile awaiting transport while the hospitalero if off cleaning somewhere. In the past you put the money in an envelope attached to the bag and I always wondered if there was ever theft involved before the JacoTrans guy came by to get it? It would be easy to take the money by just removing the envelope without even pilfering the bag. I know with the Correos system you can pay online. I have only shipped my bag one time and worried sick about it all day. I arrived at my destination two hours before it did and I was SURE it was lost. (FYI, from another thread, this was how one of my shells got broken. In bag transport.)

Just because you carry on your pack doesn’t mean it will not be ‘taken‘ by someone else.

Waiting to deplane in Nice a very rushed gentleman grabbed my pack from the upper carry on bin. I was three rows back and luckily was looking forward and saw him take my pack. Granted it was not intentional, but if not noticed and me yelling three times - ‘sir you have the wrong bag’, who knows when he would have noticed he had the wrong bag!

I agree the chance of a carry on vs a checked bag reaching/staying with you is by far higher.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wonder why there seems to be a heightened awareness of potential theft and other issues when ‘away from home’ - petty criminality happens in most societies, but some of the comments above verge on paranoid.

I recall reading an American authored guide to Naples whilst travelling there by train a few years ago. I arrived with the expectation that exiting the train station would be like the scene in ‘Gladiator’ where the unarmed prisoners are to be released into the arena and certain death. The reality was pretty much like any urban train station anywhere in Europe, albeit with a stronger smell of drains.

I’m a believer in the Arab saying ‘trust in God but tether your camel’; but don’t start conjuring demons where none exist.

The number of checked-in bags which don’t arrive is not zero, but it’s certainly not significant either.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have always taken my 48L Osprey on board with me. Never an issue. Dimentions and weight are within requirements. Buy poles upon arrival. Easy peasy.

A couple of reasons, mainly the Singapore air baggage regulations, which states
  • Up to 7kg each
  • Sum of length, width and height of each piece should not exceed 115cm. We aim at carrying around 8 or so kg in our packs, so they're overweight to start with, also we have poles, which we could check in or purchase new ones in Europe when we arrive but without going into too much detail, after the Via Podiensis and the Del Norte we fly to Scotland for a walk, then Croatia for a walk then Turkey for a walk, we'd have to either check them in or throw them away, so we were hoping to get some system in place to use over and over.
With those restrictions I would offload the most easily replaceable gear into one duffel between the two of you to check in, and carry your now lighter weight backpacks into the cabin.

You can use one of the inexpensive duffels mentioned by others in this thread, or find a used one at a charity shop they you can donate at your first stop.

I cinch it tight, secure all the straps so they don't catch anywhere and hope for the best. I don't put a lock on my suitcase when I travel and I don't worry about my backpack. Locks are easily broken and travel locks have a master key used by airport staff to access your bag if they think something illegal is in it. If they want in your pack to steal something, they'll do it, with or without a lock.

Medications, electronics, valuables go in your carryon bag. I brought a small collapsible bag to carry the things I wanted/needed on the plane and used it during Camino for picking up items at grocery stores along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
These are the sort of packs you use together with a strong padlock. You'll find something similar locally.

Do NOT use "a strong padlock" if you will be going through airport security in USA! If a bag is locked with a lock that is not "TSA approved," TSA will cut the lock and replace it with a zip tie. And a TSA approved lock is a joke—if thousands of TSA agents have a master key, it's a certainty that hundreds of criminals have bought master keys on the black market. And there are videos on youtube of how to make your own with a 3D printer.

A lock just tells a thief (or security screener) that the bag contains something worth looking into.

Just don't put anything in a checked bag that you can't bear to lose. And it's worth remembering that any city with an airport also has places to buy anything you might need, except one-of-a-kind things (like the pictures on your phone).

Wow! Some suggestions preferred!
TWO from personal experience:
1. Take minimum required and purchase additional necessities in Spain;
2. Put backpack in lightweight zip-up, lockable holdall (easily packable) when walking.
Whatever, stay safe and enjoy!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We've given up the on idea that we will be able to take our Osprey 36 packs onboard as hand luggage on a long haul flight from Australia. That leaves us with having to check them in and hoping they arrive in Lyon at the same time as us, some 30 odd hours and three changes later. (Via Podiensis).
We'll be taking anything of value out of the packs and in hand luggage, but any suggestions on how to secure against any theft from the packs that will be in the hold would be appreciated.
I put my pack and poles in a box, taped it up, and put it on the belt. Got a funny look from some as i waited in line: an international traveler with no luggage, but a cardboard box.

If you're taking the checked in route. Perhaps the Osprey Airporter would give additional piece of mind?
Video below provides more details

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you have your wallet, etc. with you, what in the world would be in your pack that would be of interest to a thief?
I don't know that thieves know what you have packed or brought onboard. There are many stories of people stashing valuables in their luggage (including medications they need to take during the flight), and I imagine thieves count on human error.

First I will say I never check luggage. As mentioned in the past, many years ago I heard a travel expert say there are 2 kinds of luggage: Carry on and lost.
However I have seen, but have never used, some kind of shrink-wrap (such as what shippers use to wrap around crated goods) to bind backpacks when they check them in. I have no idea if the baggage folks hate the slipperiness and lack of handles, but some people seem to have success with this method.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What could they possibly want to steal from your packs? Underwear? Towels? Clothes? Toothbrush?
i don’t know, does it ever happen?

I'm amused by the story of the man grabbing the wrong bag from the overhead rack. Imagine getting home to find that instead of the lovely expensive perfume you had bought for your wife, and the great box of Leggo for the kids, not to mention your expensive camera and laptop, all you found inside the bag was dirty old walking clothes!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No one has mentioned the tried and true IKEA blue zip bag. It’s so light you can tuck it in your pack and is so sturdy. Fits poles and pack.
Loved this idea. Bought one from the local IKEA and my ATMOS 50 easily fit inside loaded.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Has anyone on the forum ever had anything stolen from a backpack? Just wondering.
No.
I've checked my pack in a lightweight bag, mostly to protect it from snagging equipment and to keep the straps contained. I can't imagine anyone stealing anything from it. Used socks or a 7 year-old Altus anyone?

After I posted this post about I week ago I was ready to go to Santiago for doing voluntairy work at the Pilgrims Office , where I am now.
I had an unpleasant experience checking in last Saturday at Amsterdam airport
I took a small suitcase which fitts in the overhead compartment in the plane.
I checked in and at the very last moment I was told by the grondstaff to put my suitcase on the belt
The suitcase had only a zipper so I refused placing it on the belt but she insisted
So there went my suitcase into the luggage collecting cellar
Long story short. Arriving in Porto Portugal my money was disappeared out of my suitcase .260€.
Send a reclamation to KLM but no reply and asked the police for a protocol for robbing by the groundstaff. To be continued
So keep your pack locked up and if not possible to do that, take all valuables in a small bag into the plane.
So in my case , handluggage does not guarantee to get it on board with you .

No.
I've checked my pack in a lightweight bag, mostly to protect it from snagging equipment and to keep the straps contained. I can't imagine anyone stealing anything from it. Used socks or a 7 year-old Altus anyone?
We do the same, and once on camino hang our packs in them from the frame of the bunks to keep bedbugs out. The bag makes life a lot easier for the baggage-handling staff and prevents it getting snagged in the machinery, as well keeping the pack clean and dry. Thieves are like the rest of us, they expect a high reward for their risk so are much more likely to go for Louis Vuitton suitcases than Decathlon (or Osprey for that matter) backpacks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone on the forum ever had anything stolen from a backpack? Just wondering.
Yes, my daughter traveling with me in South America had an MP3 player stolen from a pouch in a backpack. We figured it was highly visible on x-ray, and easy to remove.

take all valuables in a small bag into the plane.
I would go further and say to take all cash attached to your body. It is too easy to set something down for a moment and have it disappear. Or it has even happened that I might lose something without assistance!

Anything valuable is either on my person or in a carry-on day pack.

Personally, I never check my bag. I carry it on. I've seen too many pilgrims end up in Madrid minus their packs and have to re-stock everything before walking. One fellow in my group didn't get his pack until 2 weeks after returning home.
This is what I'm worried about. I'm almost not at all worried about theft because it seems like a lower chance of that happening than getting a bag lost. I've had bags delayed multiple times and one time I arrived back in Madrid from Morocco and didn't see my bag again until a month after I returned home to the U.S.

That terrible feeling of watching the slowly emptying luggage carousel is not something I want to go through when I have to start out from SJPP on a specific date with friends. I will practice my packing and see exactly how that part goes in order to make a decision, but I am aiming for carrying it on.

Thank you everyone-- All the different opinions are very helpful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's been years but in 2013 I put our packs in duffel bags or large laundry bags with straps mainly to protect the packs and possibility of straps snagging on something in baggage. Still not a guarantee against theft but a laundry bag is a lot less interesting and tempting than a backpack and cheaper than a suitcase.

Get two of these bags, put your pack in one, zip, and put that in the second bag with the zipper at the bottom of the second bag. You can find them at Chinese shops. The cost of two bag are usually cheaper than having your pack wrapped at the airport. No one want to unzip two bags just to get to your pack. Some can use the bags at your destination when you dispose of them.

These are handy bags.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have always checked my bag, and will continue to do so. It is outside the carry-on dimensions for most airlines, and I carry things that are not permitted as carry-on. Sure if it is too big to carry as luggage, ie over 32 kg, I would agree with you that probably is a bit heavy!! Other than the issue of linear dimensions, I face a 7kg carry-on weight limit for most flights getting out of my home town. I haven't been down to that weight for any of my pilgrimage walks, nor am I tempted to try by doing any more weight reduction than I already do.

This comment puts you in the same category as all those of average size or under who loudly proclaim that no-one needs to carry anything larger than a 35 li pack. They clearly don't understand the relationship between body size and clothing dimensions that make this impossible for those of us who are taller and heavier. This is aside from age and some associated medical conditions requiring additional equipment and medications. Although I guess I could leave my CPAP at home and return to being the loudest snorer in a dormitory.
Yes the CPAP is the one bulky item I can't go without so my pack is also inevitably a bit bigger. But that makes it easier on all the people in the dorm! There is also the other factor that not everyone can hop on a plane, walk a camino, and fly straight back home. Some have to go on to other destinations, so luggage is a bit more, and has to be checked in.

These are the sort of packs you use together with a strong padlock. You'll find something similar locally.

Depending on the quality they can last for only a few trips as the airport handling can be unforgiving. They are particularly good for multiple packs as you can combine and save on the airline cost.

Incidentally, I've just ordered one of these bags, and then found your post. I've always had to check my bag, and have wrapped them in the past. These bags appeal to me because they don't have zippers that can break, they may double as a pack liner (although probably a bit heavy), and for me there's another reason: I'm going to join some friends for a spot of "slack packing". These bags looked ideal for transfers between overnight stops. I'm quite excited to go walking in Denmark for the first time, although I'll be back on the Camino in Spain asap!

Last edited:
These are handy bags.
we used collapsible airline duffel bags that zip (and fold up real small in their own pouch) for our packs, they worked beautifully for travel & flights, then packed away once we arrived. Later we used them again to ship ahead all the stuff we packed but weren't using... double duty! bom Camino! R&M~

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A 16 year old wheelie-bag with multiple TSA-locked zippers, electrical tape on the wheels to keep them working (recently added), and a colorful strap or two... easy to identify, but not "showy"... ;)

we used collapsible airline duffel bags that zip (and fold up real small in their own pouch) for our packs, they worked beautifully for travel & flights, then packed away once we arrived. Later we used them again to ship ahead all the stuff we packed but weren't using... double duty! bom Camino! R&M~
As mentioned above, I've just ordered a Pro-Tector Rucksack Cover from this website:
I've already had a reply from Rob Peele, who's been helpful and interested in my experience with the bag.
This morning I knew nothing of this product, but it appeals to me because of the ethical manufacturing process, and there are no zippers to snag or break.

Returning to the original question - you don't secure your backpack against theft. You may do your best to make access difficult, or to protect the pack, but the very best way to protect anything against theft.. complete sentence in less than ten words!!! 😁 Wishing you, OP, and all, trouble free journeys with your luggage, on board or in the hold.
My favorite is still the easiest and cheapest, buy a box of kitchen plastic wrap( Saran?) and wrap it tight around the entire pack and straps, use the whole roll , used to be $1.29 .make sure to cover all straps and pockets . Keeps it clean in the belly of the plane , no one can go thru the contents and the straps don’t get caught on a conveyer. Cut it off carefully and go , buy another roll where you leave , nothing to carry on the trail. Works for me

€83,-
A couple of reasons, mainly the Singapore air baggage regulations, which states
  • Up to 7kg each
  • Sum of length, width and height of each piece should not exceed 115cm. We aim at carrying around 8 or so kg in our packs, so they're overweight to start with, also we have poles, which we could check in or purchase new ones in Europe when we arrive but without going into too much detail, after the Via Podiensis and the Del Norte we fly to Scotland for a walk, then Croatia for a walk then Turkey for a walk, we'd have to either check them in or throw them away, so we were hoping to get some system in place to use over and over.

So you need to lighten the packs by 1kg.
Wear extra clothing, put heavy items in your pockets, or carry a small extra 'handbag' with heavy stuff.
Most airlines allow 1 x cabin bag of the size you suggest, plus a small one like a laptop bag / handbag.

Check your poles in a mailing tube, put a couple of heavy items in with them.

20220504_101321.jpg

After I posted this post about I week ago I was ready to go to Santiago for doing voluntairy work at the Pilgrims Office , where I am now.
I had an unpleasant experience checking in last Saturday at Amsterdam airport
I took a small suitcase which fitts in the overhead compartment in the plane.
I checked in and at the very last moment I was told by the grondstaff to put my suitcase on the belt
The suitcase had only a zipper so I refused placing it on the belt but she insisted
So there went my suitcase into the luggage collecting cellar
Long story short. Arriving in Porto Portugal my money was disappeared out of my suitcase .260€.
Send a reclamation to KLM but no reply and asked the police for a protocol for robbing by the groundstaff. To be continued
So keep your pack locked up and if not possible to do that, take all valuables in a small bag into the plane.
So in my case , handluggage does not guarantee to get it on board with you .
Updated may 2022. KLM nor Schiphol (Amsterdam Airport ) do not feel any reponsability. Travel insurance have the “small “ letters and does not feel any responsibility neither. At the end a very sad ending and my conclusion is never again fly KLM or start or end up in Amsterdam. Fortunately Brussels Airport in Belgium is as far as Schiphol and as an alternative for flights to Spain or Portugal there is Eindhoven airport so I don’t need this criminal and losers airport and flight company.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Along these same lines, I bought a 60L stuff sack at REI that fits my REI Trail 40 pack with room to spare, is durable/lightweight/reusable, and packs down to practically nothing (it fits nicely in the rain cover compartment of my pack along with the rain cover). I plan on having it handy if I have to check my bag during my travels for whatever reason (securing the drawcords will be the only problem, but one easily solved with a bit of duct tape) - and it will also come in useful for bedbug-proofing my pack in accommodations along the way.

(I'm also curious why OP is so worried about baggage theft in general, but we all have our particular concerns about things so I'm in no position to criticize or question.)
I have a REI trail 40 pack and was hoping this will fit as a carryon? Seems to be ok as far as measurements for United, however do you check yours because of "fitting issues" for carryon or just personal choice?

I stuffed my back in a box and taped it up. It arrived safely. I did, however, get some strange looks from other passengers being the only passenger with no luggage but a cardboard box.

I have a REI trail 40 pack and was hoping this will fit as a carryon? Seems to be ok as far as measurements for United, however do you check yours because of "fitting issues" for carryon or just personal choice?
we carried on, no questions asked, not a problem. we flew Lufstanza, they were very nice.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.