• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you train for the Camino?

They are also called soap nuts. I haven't used them myself, but they sound interesting.

🤯

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Prior to my Camino, I did no hiking what so ever. I did yoga for flexibility, had done some tai chi, nothing super strenuous.

While walking, I tried not to do a "speed run" of Spain and kept my pace leisurely. As soon as I loosened the toe box of my shoes and shortened my days to between 15-20kms, I stopped getting blisters, and the rest was pretty easy.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't USUALLY train. I just go and start slow. I usually take a route or part of a route for at least 2 weeks before I pick up my group, so that's my training.

HOWEVER... since my surgery, I find I'm extremely out of shape. I'm shocked, really, at how my stamina has disappeared. So as soon as this icy rain finishes in Dallas, Oregon and I'm able to walk without slipping and sliding around again, I plan on getting back to walking more and more each day. I'm shocked to admit I'm starting at 3-4 k. It's crazy. . .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
since my surgery, I find I'm extremely out of shape. I'm shocked, really, at how my stamina has disappeared.
I think that I must be in the same situation, but I don't know yet, as the weather is so foul that I don't attempt to go out without necessity. There will be better weather in a few days, but then I must face the piles of snow which make walking very difficult. I am not too worried, as there are about seven months still before I can expect to be vaccinated and be closer to going on camino, when conditions are right. Good luck and buen camino to you, as you get your strength back from your surgery.

It's varied tremedously.

For the 1993 basically not at all.

For the 1994, an aggressive dieting and hiking programme, leading eventually to doing about 200K/week in training hikes.

For the 2000 to Rome, erm just a few days of leisure hiking, albeit 25K to 40K ones.

For the 2005, Baptism and Confirmation into the Catholic Church.

For the 2014, a full year's worth of preparation in knee braces to get 'round the arthrosis amounting to 1000K or more in initially very short then longer training hikes in all seasons, including some good ones through woodland and vineyards in Burgundy (that's the last time I managed a 40K, though I've done a 35K since). Then I started at Lourdes, and a few days later I just put the knee braces in my backpack. I did, I suppose, ask only for enough healing of my knees for the Camino, so my fault I suppose that they continue to hurt like mamma mia !!

For the 2019/2021, some number of mostly dilettante local hikes along the local Camino (historic route), Rome-wards from La Turbie.

Living in flat Florida is tough to train for the variable terrain in Spain.
We have the opposite difficulty to each other -- my preferred hiking terrain is the flat, but I live on an Alp !!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The big difference is nordic walking involves a very intentional push backwards with your hiking pole which propels the hips forward. If you are doing it correctly, you will feel the burn in your arms/shoulders when you first start nordic walking. After a while this goes away as your muscles strengthen.
Fast hiking staff technique is very similar.

Since many people are seriously hoping for a walk in 2021, I'm starting this thread on training for the Camino.

Walking is almost always very good for you, whether or not you get to Spain, so there is every reason to build it into your life style. Now. But walking is slow - typically 3-6 km/h - so it can be hard to find the time for it. That's why I suggest setting goals that are realistic for your circumstances.

I am 72 and moderately fit. My target is to walk 40-50 km/week all year, and perhaps increase to 75 km about 6 weeks before a Camino, and ease off for the last week. Who has time for more? You should toss in an occasional day with 25 km, then perhaps 2 days in a row at 25 km in order to see how you do, but not every day. Similar you might add in a hill or two. But truthfully, I don't, and I just go up the hills in Spain very very slowly.

A few months of training gives you the chance to test and perfect your foot wear - that would be a separate thread. But for me, training is needed in part to sort out my shoes, socks, and adjustments to my custom orthotics. They are quite important to my walking comfort.

A couple of months before your Camino, do a 25-km day with your full backpack and all your exact planned walking clothes - on a clear day and on a rainy day. That's important because you'll find that the particular belt buckle catches on your pack strap, or your sun hat keeps brushing against the top of your pack, or rain drips from your hood onto your glasses, or your phone is too hard to get out of your pocket quickly, or your water bottle is inaccessible, etc. If you don't discover those annoyances at home, you will discover them by day 2 on the camino when it is harder to fix them.

Your body needs to be comfortable walking for hours, several days in a row, and you want the stamina to walk 25 km or so without needing bed rest the next day. Keep walking so that it feels completely natural, but don't over train.

Everybody takes a different approach to their personal routines. What are yours?
I have walked the Camino eight times and was not able to last year for obvious reasons. My training consists of walking at last 3 miles M-F at night and 5 miles Sat and Sunday. I also bike at least 8 miles on Sat and Sunday. I walk year round and during the Pandemic we biked more than we walked as an added distraction. I break in my new hiking shoes at least 2 months before my Walk and I stop walking 2 weeks before my walk (superstitious I guess). The shoes and socks are probably the most important components on my Walk. I only use thick wool socks to cushion my feet. I never take more than 22 lbs in my backpack. Since I fly from the U.S. I always take my hiking shoes with me, separate from my backpack. This is because my backpack never made it to Paris on one occasion and I had to buy everything for my Walk at St Jean Pie Duport. Thank God I had my hiking boots with me. I don't hike up mountain trails before my walk to minimize any possibility of an ankle or knee injury before my Walk. Hoping to go back this year. Being vaccinated certainly will help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I thought I'd pop in for an update- I'm coming to Spain real soon!

Footwear- I started in trail runners but wasn't ready for them. REI fitted me for some Oboz in a wide but they didn't stretch far enough. REI took them back and set me up with the La Sportiva Nucleos in a wide (1/2 size up from the measure thingy). They're fine but not my favorite. I ended up with the Oboz Sawtooth II shoe and started in an 8W. Injinji toe socks and no blisters. Until yesterday...

Backpack- I was starting to lose my motivation, unable to go further than 15K/9 miles with the same hobble off the trail to the parking lot problem I was having in January, so I decided to go to REI and see if the gifted to me backpack would work and if so, get it fitted correctly. It is the perfect size for me (28-30L, best we can guess), brand new discontinued model REI pack, and it fits great. They put a 15lb sandbag in it for me to try out and it was instantly clear that's my top weight in the bag. In the conversation, we somehow ended up in the shoe department

Footwear- and the lady there heard my tale, took a look at my civilian shoes, and hooked me up with the Oboz nice insole (she also had several other brands to choose from). I popped them in the Sawtooths yesterday and... I went 20K/12 miles without hobbling home!! Mind you, I hurt, my feet were bruised and swollen and I got my first blister ever, but I did it! I can go the needed distance to do the last 100km. I tried to go back and do it again today but my swollen feet would barely go in the shoe and once I got going, more blisters started. I came home and sized up my shoes one more time to an 8.5W. When they get here in a few days, I'll give it a go and see if that solves the swollen feet/blisters that never happened at the shorter distances. Once I can do 20K two days in a row, I'm booking my ticket for September.

Other stuff- I have had a bout with dehydration and am learning how to balance drinking enough water with finding a toilet, my poles work great on the dirt and the hills but are very unsmooth and jerky/counterproductive on the pavement. The REI lady is going to help me with that this week. I think my everyday walking clothes and things I already own are going to cover 90% of what I need to bring and I'll get the rest closer to the date.

Footwear- I started in trail runners but wasn't ready for them. REI fitted me for some Oboz in a wide but they didn't stretch far enough. REI took them back and set me up with the La Sportiva Nucleos in a wide (1/2 size up from the measure thingy). They're fine but not my favorite. I ended up with the Oboz Sawtooth II shoe and started in an 8W. Injinji toe socks and no blisters. Until yesterday...

Backpack- I was starting to lose my motivation, unable to go further than 15K/9 miles with the same hobble off the trail to the parking lot problem I was having in January, so I decided to go to REI and see if the gifted to me backpack would work and if so, get it fitted correctly. It is the perfect size for me (28-30L, best we can guess), brand new discontinued model REI pack, and it fits great. They put a 15lb sandbag in it for me to try out and it was instantly clear that's my top weight in the bag. In the conversation, we somehow ended up in the shoe department

Footwear- and the lady there heard my tale, took a look at my civilian shoes, and hooked me up with the Oboz nice insole (she also had several other brands to choose from). I popped them in the Sawtooths yesterday and... I went 20K/12 miles without hobbling home!! Mind you, I hurt, my feet were bruised and swollen and I got my first blister ever, but I did it! I can go the needed distance to do the last 100km. I tried to go back and do it again today but my swollen feet would barely go in the shoe and once I got going, more blisters started. I came home and sized up my shoes one more time to an 8.5W. When they get here in a few days, I'll give it a go and see if that solves the swollen feet/blisters that never happened at the shorter distances. Once I can do 20K two days in a row, I'm booking my ticket for September.

Other stuff- I have had a bout with dehydration and am learning how to balance drinking enough water with finding a toilet, my poles work great on the dirt and the hills but are very unsmooth and jerky/counterproductive on the pavement. The REI lady is going to help me with that this week. I think my everyday walking clothes and things I already own are going to cover 90% of what I need to bring and I'll get the rest closer to the date.
Good luck with all the equipment issues.
Do yourself a massive favour and aim not to worry about the consequences of drinking what you need. I recently found myself a portable bidet made by Tushy (it’s a collapsible silicon bottle with a uniquely designed nozzle/spigot) and I’ve been using that on long hikes down rail trails and in the woods. NO more worries about whether there’s a loo anywhere near.

And yet, even with this newfound confidence I recently messed up in a surprising manner and did not drink enough on a 22K walk. My usual route… 11K is the half-way, turn around point to home. I got a coffee at the take-out window, sat by the lake for my ret, and then returned home. I had about 1 cup of water from my 1 litre bottle. I simply did not feel thirsty. It was not a hot day… roughly 63 F. I wasn’t tired…

BUT

about an hour after I got home I had massively painful cramping in both arms and in my solar plexus. I was seated at my dining table and had to plonk my head on the table. It lasted about a minute. Spouse looked it up… and at my age, that set of symptoms did not point in the proper direction, so I hopped on my e-bike back into town and had a blood run done to check protein signatures for any kind of heart event.

*ELECTROLYTES*

I was all out of whack. So I was scolded… and I promised to be more careful. Because, in fact, it could have been much worse. I wasn’t even trying to avoid needing to pee. I just didn’t realize that my body was flagging.

So: in the interests of you having a best possible journey and a safe return home: make sure you are drinking enough (And add electrolytes or drink something more than just water).

Buen Camino!

Good luck with all the equipment issues.
Do yourself a massive favour and aim not to worry about the consequences of drinking what you need. I recently found myself a portable bidet made by Tushy (it’s a collapsible silicon bottle with a uniquely designed nozzle/spigot) and I’ve been using that on long hikes down rail trails and in the woods. NO more worries about whether there’s a loo anywhere near.

And yet, even with this newfound confidence I recently messed up in a surprising manner and did not drink enough on a 22K walk. My usual route… 11K is the half-way, turn around point to home. I got a coffee at the take-out window, sat by the lake for my ret, and then returned home. I had about 1 cup of water from my 1 litre bottle. I simply did not feel thirsty. It was not a hot day… roughly 63 F. I wasn’t tired…

BUT

about an hour after I got home I had massively painful cramping in both arms and in my solar plexus. I was seated at my dining table and had to plonk my head on the table. It lasted about a minute. Spouse looked it up… and at my age, that set of symptoms did not point in the proper direction, so I hopped on my e-bike back into town and had a blood run done to check protein signatures for any kind of heart event.

*ELECTROLYTES*

I was all out of whack. So I was scolded… and I promised to be more careful. Because, in fact, it could have been much worse. I wasn’t even trying to avoid needing to pee. I just didn’t realize that my body was flagging.

So: in the interests of you having a best possible journey and a safe return home: make sure you are drinking enough (And add electrolytes or drink something more than just water).

Buen Camino!
Glad you sorted the electrolyte issue!That dehydration problem snuck up on me last Spring on a hot day after a jog. After the ER ruled out cardio episode, they pumped me up and sent me home with Gatorade. So now I’m paranoid about the electrolyte balance...cut back on coffee and sugar and always take Gade /water mixed when I hike. The loo problem is minor compared to the cost of the ER. But what is the Spanish version of Gatorade or some electrolyte drink; this problem popped up since my last Camino?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Glad you sorted the electrolyte issue!That dehydration problem snuck up on me last Spring on a hot day after a jog. After the ER ruled out cardio episode, they pumped me up and sent me home with Gatorade. So now I’m paranoid about the electrolyte balance...cut back on coffee and sugar and always take Gade /water mixed when I hike. The loo problem is minor compared to the cost of the ER. But what is the Spanish version of Gatorade or some electrolyte drink; this problem popped up since my last Camino?
Honestly? On caminos I carry 2 L of whole fat milk with me every day. I wasn’t doing that on my recent walk because I was being frugal with my milk supply as I was in a remote woods location, not near to stores and disinclined to have to haul not only the milk for a walk, but also the milk I would need at home as replacement stores.

That said: if you prefer electrolyte drinks — You can buy tablets. I get the Nuun tablets from my local outdoor supply store and I take a few tubes of those with me. And I rarely use them, but I do share them and I like to have them in case I’m crashing in a town so small that I can’t find a tienda in which to buy milk.

Before my first Camino I followed the “orthodox” advice about footwear and got a pair of Merrill Moabs and a pair of hiking socks with a thin layer under that. I walked everywhere in this comfortable combination and felt ready for anything. Unfortunately I was so hobbled and had so many blisters by Pamplona that I was seriously thinking about quitting. I found a great shoe store there and the owner advised me to pitch the socks and shoes and instead go with a pair of hiking sandals and a thin pair of socks. It was like magic for me. While it took awhile to heal my wounds, there were no new hotspots or blisters.

Before my 2nd Camino I sought the advice of a podiatrist. He advised me:

* Stick with the sandals

* Each month before the Camino get a pedicure. A pedicure sands off all callouses and dry areas and your toenails are taken down as short as possible. Finally moisturizer is applied. He suggested that each morning between the shower and putting on socks that I moisturize my feet.

And on the Camino:

* Each morning apply strips of athletic tape exactly to the areas where you have had blisters and pain in the past. Gently pull on your socks. Re-do this every morning.

Training before the Camino:

* He suggested in addition to walking/hiking a lot that I find a long staircase or sports stadium in my community (HS football stadium works great) where I could practice walking these stairs multiple multiple times each day. Work on Cardio and my footwork.

All of these suggestions were great. There were no blisters, no lost or blackened toenails, no hotspots, no pain whatsoever.

I pass along all this sage advice that served me extremely well on my 2nd Camino.

. Once I can do 20K two days in a row, I'm booking my ticket for September.
On your training walks/hikes are you stopping every hour or so for a break? You should be, and when you do, take off your shoes and socks and let your feet breathe. The Camino isn't a forced march - you will stop several times a day to eat and rest - do the same during training.
Before my 2nd Camino I sought the advice of a podiatrist. He advised me:

* Stick with the sandals

* Each month before the Camino get a pedicure. A pedicure sands off all callouses and dry areas and your toenails are taken down as short as possible. Finally moisturizer is applied. He suggested that each morning between the shower and putting on socks that I moisturize my feet.

And on the Camino:

* Each morning apply strips of athletic tape exactly to the areas where you have had blisters and pain in the past. Gently pull on your socks. Re-do this every morning.
Sounds like you have an excellent podiatrist! Many people think that you need to toughen your feet and strive to develop calluses, but blisters under calluses are much worse than regular blisters.

I tape the parts of my feet each morning where I have a tendency to blister. My tape of choice is Omnifix (or the similar Hypafix) which is widely available in farmacias in Spain. It's soft and a bit stretchy, so it conforms to the contours of your feet. It stays on well, yet removes easily without leaving a bunch of sticky residue. KT tape also works well, but is more expensive and heavier.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi. There have been some other posts I've read on training for the Camino. One of the best was that when you have organized all you will take, pack, shoes etc., try it all out in good weather AND rainy weather. Best tip if you dont want to end up a soggy mess on your walk if your rain gear isnt up to scratch.

Instead of electrolyte drinks, I suggest stopping for a picnic! Cheese and cracker, summer sausage, pretzels or a granola bar. In the US, there is canned lemonade and ice tea that is non-carbonated for easy carry and immediate replacement of sugar. Make your own GORP, Good Ol' Raisins and Peanuts.

That will taste much better and will be better for you body than electrolyte drinks!

-Paul

Experiment with everything before you go. See what is right for you. (Hydration, shoes, sock combinations, break frequency, poles v. no poles etc...) Sometimes we can all overthink things.
Buen Camino !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Instead of electrolyte drinks, I suggest stopping for a picnic! Cheese and cracker, summer sausage, pretzels or a granola bar. In the US, there is canned lemonade and ice tea that is non-carbonated for easy carry and immediate replacement of sugar. Make your own GORP, Good Ol' Raisins and Peanuts.

That will taste much better and will be better for you body than electrolyte drinks!

-Paul

*Maybe* — but I can’t eat that much when I’m walking, and food does not answer the issue of hydration.

People’s own bodies need to determine their own best practices. I can’t hydrate with pure water… I don’t like electrolyte tablets in my water… so I use milk which has non-added or “naturally occurring” sugars ano salts, as well as fats and some basic nutritional elements like zinc and magnesium (depending on the diet of the cattle).

Raisins and peanuts I quite like, and I carry those, as well as dark chocolate (double wrapped in hot weather) and almonds.

My typical start to a day is a banana and the milk I have in my pack, a yogurt if I have been able to procure one. The first stop, some 5-7 K onward brings the first coffee and whatever they are serving for breakfast (pao com chorizo, empanada, tortilla españa etc). Lunch is usually around KM 15-17 and involves another coffee, maybe a small bocadillo, or a shared bocadillo, and a caña if it’s an especially hot day. By the time I arrive at destination, I’ve usually consumed 2 litres of milk in addition to the breakfast and lunch. Supper is whatever is going on the pilgrim menu unless I’m somewhere with really great food options (Logrono, for example merits a tapas crawl… and I enjoyed traditional Basque baby eel salad with fried egg in Pamplona…).

For training purposes, a person will likely benefit from finding out what their own body needs in conditions that approximate what they will encounter on the camino — which will vary by season as well.

Before my first Camino I went away for several weeks on a planned writing retreat to complete a project in relative solitude from a usually grueling care-giving schedule. I took my cats with me for company, and headed to our remote cabin near Algonquin Park, in Canada. The cabin is itself a fair amount of work... to cut wood, stack wood, make fires etc, maintaining the pile as one burns through. We have a large wood lot... so that provided one kind of strength training.

While I was there, I found the Kyte 36L pack I would take to Camino, and I started walking round-trip to town for groceries with the pack — 21K round trip, with the pack filly weighted on the return. I guess I was doing that walk 2 times a week, and I’d do the same walk 2 times a week without shopping; I’d just go to my favorite bakery, get myself a treat (a latte and a whiskey brownie) and use their WiFi to communicate with my editors at the time.

I guess I bought my hiking boots at the outfitter up there too. So that was how walking replaced cycling in my life. I’d used cycling around at home to get to and from work for about 7 years, but I’d been gaining weight for years, and cycling and rock climbing were not demanding enough from me anymore. I’m a very small person who had hit a size 8 when I really can’t handle more than a 6, and do best at a 4 (roughly size 35 EU). So I moved from “fit but chubby” to “fit and thin-ish” in those several weeks.... and something shifted for me.

I stopped hating walking. I’d take photos of the scenery; I discovered streams and waterfalls I’d not known existed 100 yards away from a road I’d been travelling for 35 years...

Then I did my Camino — age 47 — lost my pack-weight while I was out there, and came home fit and very thin (I developed what looked like scrapes on my clavicles and iliac crests from pack-chafing in the final weeks).

When I came back to city life, I did not return to cycling or public transit. Distances had changed for me. I went back into intensive care-giving, but pulled my Beloved autistic adult child into my routine. He does best with lots of physical activity, so we’d walk out and back from his gym, 6K each way, and I would work while he was doing his thing. I’d take him on hikes with me, and he’d help carry groceries home. We started to travel local trails together just to make it more interesting to get around town. We took up night-hiking...

I started listening to my texts on audio so that after I’d read them, I could listen to them on my way into campus to do my lectures.

All told, I built a new life post Camino that just includes walking. I don’t train. I have almost every shoe I can imagine needing for any kind of weather. I have summer gaiters for rain, winter gaiters for snow. Ice cleats, layers and layers of merino and down.... What is the saying? “There’s no bad weather, only bad gear”...? I try not to have bad gear.

I loathed walking in my pre-Camino life. LOATHED it.

But now it’s just built into my life. It takes me 35-40 minutes to get to work, usually just a little longer to get home because I’m tired by the end of a day with students and colleagues.

Maybe I get groceries on my way home and toss them into my pack. If I’m going to do that I take the old 36L Kyte with me. Otherwise, I use my 26L Talon.

COVID kinda messed with everything. At first it was OK. I took Beloved up to the remote shack for all of April and May total lockdown when people were being fined for being out for a walk more than 1km from home. We did fine, but had to haul water in buckets for the first 2 weeks as out water lines were still frozen. We had to toboggan our groceries down our laneway for the last 500 feet of 1200 because we don’t plough that end of our drive way as it gets quit narrow there....

But work required that I return to proper internet. His studies demanded the same thing... and so we returned to the city.

And we both tossed on Covid weight. I’m carrying an extra 10 pounds around now and my “walks built into daily life” are more difficult because nothing is open; I don’t go to campus anymore...

So: we’ve set up a gym at home, and I’m walking the virtual caminos... I read the thread about the Lana when it updates; I watch the Alicante tourism videos about the villages along the Lana... and I’m watching the BK Lee Camino (on silent) while I walk on my treadmill (wearing a loaded pack) and my dear spouse rides the stationary bike beside me as a very polite bici-grino. Sometimes at the end of a day we will eat as we do in Iberia. It’s partly nostalgia, but it’s also that we generally prefer life in the EU, and prefer to hold onto lessons from there about *when* to eat (late!) and what to eat (cheese! Yogurt! Almonds and figs, membrillo, insalata mista...). I bought a citrus press and we can get juice oranges at a local shop. We do our virtual stuff, and after an hour or so, stop for a cortado and a zumo...

Camino changed our lives. Restored our lives.... and in some way we find it is sustaining us through COV.

So, in answer: I did train... but I don’t anymore. I altered my life on the road to Santiago, and I’ve aimed to live by those lessons ever since. It will be 7 years in late summer since my first Camino. I returned from my last one Nov 30th 2019. Hoping to head out March or April of 2022 for my next. My workplace has us on a travel ban until Sept 2021, and I’m grounded by teaching and research duties in the fall anyway.... but sabbatical is coming, the virus will falter and peter out.... and the Norte is calling me for 2022.
Thank you so much for the beautifully written details of your lifestyle changes and sense of them in your life.

Hi Everyone
I am lucky to live by the seashore on a peninsula with direct access to the dunes and beaches. I walk 5 or 6 kms at a quick pace every other day and try to make the double on week ends.
I feel good and with a strong heart I guess, Never our of breath.

Since the swimming pools are closed because of the Covid I was thinking of how to exercise my upper body better and I made myself a present for Christmas .... a rowing machine !! Arriving in a few days!

My doctor told me for a senior (I am 67) this the best piece of fitness device to have. Besides ... the company which makes it is Spanish!

I also ordered a new pair of shoes

When I walked the Camino ( 2018 Pamplona Burgos- Burgos Santiago in 2019) I didn’t over exercise before leaving.

I was able to walk 10 or 15 kms each day the first weeks and 25 a few time after !
This is enough for me. I didn’t get any blisters, no other physical pain either.
I will keep on with my this rhythm which makes me happy and gives me extra energy left to visit and to enjoy meeting so many wonderful people on the Camino

I have a very good diet too

Good luck for your training!

I try to walk 5 or 7 kms at a quick pace on the seashore and very other day and double the distance on week end
Sometimes I gets very windy and quite cold. So I think my heart is quite good and it never feel out of breath
The swimming pools are closed because the Covid situation and I miss it
Since I think I don’t exercise enough my upper body... I made a present for myself and Christmas
Curious to know: How is the rowing machine working out for you? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Curious to know: How is the rowing machine working out for you? Thanks!
Hi! The rowing machine works well ! Half an hour every other morning or 15 mns each day .. sometimes I spread the exercice along the day according to how I feel!
I notice it helps me release my stress too whenever I feel nervous or cranky !
A good posture is important , always a straight back ! !
Actually my rowing machine is facing the garden , I have bird feeders and very relaxing to observe them and listening g to my favourite music at the same time( , I also appreciate that my machine is not very noisy!)

Hi! The rowing machine works well ! Half an hour every other morning or 15 mns each day .. sometimes I spread the exercice along the day according to how I feel!
I notice it helps me release my stress too whenever I feel nervous or cranky !
A good posture is important , always a straight back ! !
Actually my rowing machine is facing the garden , I have bird feeders and very relaxing to observe them and listening g to my favourite music at the same time( , I also appreciate that my machine is not very noisy!)
Rozenn: Very cool. I'm considering getting a rower. Would especially like a quiet one. May I ask what brand and model you use? Thank you for your help!

Since many people are seriously hoping for a walk in 2021, I'm starting this thread on training for the Camino.

Walking is almost always very good for you, whether or not you get to Spain, so there is every reason to build it into your life style. Now. But walking is slow - typically 3-6 km/h - so it can be hard to find the time for it. That's why I suggest setting goals that are realistic for your circumstances.

I am 72 and moderately fit. My target is to walk 40-50 km/week all year, and perhaps increase to 75 km about 6 weeks before a Camino, and ease off for the last week. Who has time for more? You should toss in an occasional day with 25 km, then perhaps 2 days in a row at 25 km in order to see how you do, but not every day. Similar you might add in a hill or two. But truthfully, I don't, and I just go up the hills in Spain very very slowly.

A few months of training gives you the chance to test and perfect your foot wear - that would be a separate thread. But for me, training is needed in part to sort out my shoes, socks, and adjustments to my custom orthotics. They are quite important to my walking comfort.

A couple of months before your Camino, do a 25-km day with your full backpack and all your exact planned walking clothes - on a clear day and on a rainy day. That's important because you'll find that the particular belt buckle catches on your pack strap, or your sun hat keeps brushing against the top of your pack, or rain drips from your hood onto your glasses, or your phone is too hard to get out of your pocket quickly, or your water bottle is inaccessible, etc. If you don't discover those annoyances at home, you will discover them by day 2 on the camino when it is harder to fix them.

Your body needs to be comfortable walking for hours, several days in a row, and you want the stamina to walk 25 km or so without needing bed rest the next day. Keep walking so that it feels completely natural, but don't over train.

Everybody takes a different approach to their personal routines. What are yours?
One step at a time.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Rozenn: Very cool. I'm considering getting a rower. Would especially like a quiet one. May I ask what brand and model you use? Thank you for your help!
somewhere there up in the thread there was a suggestion that one should train for the activity expected. are you expecting much rowing on the Camino? 🤣

somewhere there up in the thread there was a suggestion that one should train for the activity expected. are you expecting much rowing on the Camino? 🤣
Ah. Methinks, kokonesis, we sometimes have to come at our goals indirectly. I've got arthritis in hips and now feet. Doc advises minimizing training walks to conserve what I have for the Camino, and finding alternative ways to maintain/increase cardio training. Hence, rowing, a full body exercise that takes pressure off my feet/hips. (It's a long and winding road... ;-)

Ah. Methinks, kokonesis, we sometimes have to come at our goals indirectly. I've got arthritis in hips and now feet. Doc advises minimizing training walks to conserve what I have for the Camino, and finding alternative ways to maintain/increase cardio training. Hence, rowing, a full body exercise that takes pressure off my feet/hips. (It's a long and winding road... ;-)

sure, a double scull was my favourite some 50y ago... :) nowadays having a lot of wrinkles allover my body I try to stick to 10k walking daily and aqua running 2x week:
actually the last one gives your body kind off non-gravity exercise what perhaps could be pretty beneficial in case of joint problems

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Fytter Trainer TR-7X Rameur Magnétique + Air​

Soyez le premier à évaluer ce produit
Avant: 1 049,00 € Remis: -510,00 €539,00 €.

Gym company ( it is made in Spain )

Better check that out. Probably requires 2 stamps per day for the last 200km.

(I can’t believe I’m trying Camino ‘in’ jokes now. I really need to give myself a good talking-to)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I want to emphasize how important strength training is to prevent injury during endurance activities. I am a certified running coach (RRCA) and have run several marathons and one ultra marathon, along with having walked the Camino Frances from Pamplona and the Camino Norte/Primitivo from Irun. I've also experienced a running-related overuse injury that put me out of commission--I couldn't walk more than one mile pain-free or run at all for over six months. Finally, I went to a physical therapist who prescribed exercises that had me back walking and running within two weeks.

I firmly believe that strength work over hitting a certain mileage goal is more important in your training if you want to prevent injury and unnecessary pain during long distance activities.

It doesn't have to be anything that takes up too much time. 5-10 minutes, 4-5 times a week can make a difference. Here are some specific exercises that I do that have been helpful in staying injury-free:

-Bridge and clamshell variations will strengthen your glutes (those beautiful powerhouse muscles) and pelvic stabilizing muscles.
-Squats of various forms (wall squats, chair squats, one-legged squats...) or lying single leg raises will strengthen your quadriceps (weak quadriceps is often attributed to knee pain).
-Bent knee heel raises will strengthen the soleus, a muscle under your calf that's very important with shock absorption and is only activated and strengthened while your knee is bent. This will also strengthen your ankle muscles.
-Any single leg strength exercise can also help strengthen the entire chain of muscles used during single leg activities like walking, hiking, running, cross-country skiing, etc. Single leg balance postures, for example: Warrior III pose variations, tree pose variations, single leg heel raises, etc.

If you have the budget for it, seeing a physical therapist for some prehab exercises might prevent a lot of unnecessary suffering if you are someone who is prone to injury or pain during endurance activities.

Hope this is helpful!

I firmly believe that strength work over hitting a certain mileage goal is more important in your training if you want to prevent injury and unnecessary pain during long distance activities.

I had an Ah-hah! moment when I read this, and just talked with my PT about it. So, thanks so much for this post.

I’ve been walking since 2000. I trained a lot for my first camino, walking with pack on, building up to 15-20 mile weekly walks, etc. And I did the same for my first couple of caminos. Then I decided that I would just maintain my level of fitness year round, so I assumed there was no need to train.

That has generally served me well. My endurance and cardio vascular fitness have always been fine without training, even on caminos where I walked long distances, as many as 43-45 km.

But this year I had a muscle injury that made me stop walking. It all started, I am sure, with the first few days on the Salvador, especially the day in which I took an alternative path that had much more elevation gain than the ”official” camino. My GPS put it at over 1500 m total ascent, though I know that’s not totally reliable. I didn’t think twice about it, had a little soreness and tiredness, but I actually was fine till I got to Lugo on the Primitivo. And then the pain just started increasing and in Arzua I had to stop walking. My muscle pain is greatly reduced but not yet gone, three months and many PT sessions later.

What is lacking in my normal fitness regime is serious focus on strengthening the leg, knee, and hip muscles. In an “average” camino, I think my daily elliptical training and bicycle riding give those muscles enough strength to be fine. But on the more mountainous ones, I fall short. Thinking back over earlier caminos, I remember I also had a knee injury on the Saiatz alternative of the Vasco, but thankfully that one went away. And the descent from Santa Cruz de Serós on the Catalán was a killer for my knees, which hurt all the way into Santiago.

My PT is going to put together a strengthening regimen for me, and I will post it if others think it would be helpful. Since I hope to take a number of mountain alternatives on my hopefully upcoming Lana, I think this will be time well spent.

Many many thanks, @hikingpal!

I had an Ah-hah! moment when I read this, and just talked with my PT about it. So, thanks so much for this post.

I’ve been walking since 2000. I trained a lot for my first camino, walking with pack on, building up to 15-20 mile weekly walks, etc. And I did the same for my first couple of caminos. Then I decided that I would just maintain my level of fitness year round, so I assumed there was no need to train.

That has generally served me well. My endurance and cardio vascular fitness have always been fine without training, even on caminos where I walked long distances, as many as 43-45 km.

But this year I had a muscle injury that made me stop walking. It all started, I am sure, with the first few days on the Salvador, especially the day in which I took an alternative path that had much more elevation gain than the ”official” camino. My GPS put it at over 1500 m total ascent, though I know that’s not totally reliable. I didn’t think twice about it, had a little soreness and tiredness, but I actually was fine till I got to Lugo on the Primitivo. And then the pain just started increasing and in Arzua I had to stop walking. My muscle pain is greatly reduced but not yet gone, three months and many PT sessions later.

What is lacking in my normal fitness regime is serious focus on strengthening the leg, knee, and hip muscles. In an “average” camino, I think my daily elliptical training and bicycle riding give those muscles enough strength to be fine. But on the more mountainous ones, I fall short. Thinking back over earlier caminos, I remember I also had a knee injury on the Saiatz alternative of the Vasco, but thankfully that one went away. And the descent from Santa Cruz de Serós on the Catalán was a killer for my knees, which hurt all the way into Santiago.

My PT is going to put together a strengthening regimen for me, and I will post it if others think it would be helpful. Since I hope to take a number of mountain alternatives on my hopefully upcoming Lana, I think this will be time well spent.

Many many thanks, @hikingpal!
Please do post. I'm always interested in good exercises to strengthen the knees, after my last CF.

I want to emphasize how important strength training is to prevent injury during endurance activities.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes! Also core strength training is a huge help for carrying a pack. Training by doing the activity is greatly enhanced by strength training, as you point out, but it is also much more efficient to, for example, do planks and push ups for a few minutes a day, than repeatedly slog around with a fully loaded pack for an hour or two. The planks and push ups will make your pack feel lighter much more quickly, just as squats and other lower body exercises are going to get you ready for hills much faster than walking up many, many hills.

Last edited:
I'm going to be 76 in May. As a retired Marine, I thought walking the Camino would be a piece of cake (2008), I was very wrong. I pushed too hard, ignored tell tale signs my feet and knee needed rest and drank more beer than water. Since 2008, I've walked five Caminos, the last four were without incident. Here's my takeaway. Walk slowly! Listen to your body. Carry no more than twenty pounds in your pack. Less if possible. Although the number of pilgrims on the Camino is drastically reduced due to Covid, I'm certain the numbers will begin to return to relative norms by this summer. The key will be increased pilgrims from outside the EU. As the need for beds increases consider setting a daily pace of no more than 20 km a day. When possible, reserve a bed so you aren't forced to rush. I like to stop about every five days and book into a hotel for one night. Good food, hot showers, fluffy towels and complete quiet.
Buen Camino
Arn
A word for the wise.

For me it was important to carry my pack with some weight in it while walking/trianing prior to starting the camino. Your feet can feel completely different in your shoes when carrying a pack day after day. Lots of walking in all weather conditions, this year I was training in the hot summer weather (38C-43C)and it was no problem for me in southern Portugal, etc. when others were really overheating that were from cooler climates. So it is not just the shoes, pack, etc. the climate you are able to train in can make a big difference too. (Us and a pilgrim we met from Ecuador thought the weather was quite cool and comfortable to walk while our pilgrim friends from more Northern Europe were really struggling with the heat). You. can get Camino fit on the Camino, but as you get a little older :) I find training helps prevent unnecessary injuries and pain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Right now I restarted indoor rowing. Combined with intense stretching and some strength training and outdoor time on Skis or with the dogs this should help me during winter when running is no serious option in my geography. Rowing really does something for the whole body. Using a water rower and EXR which helps my motivation :cool:

Attachments

• EXR-Screenshot-2022-12-28_02-05-20.png
    EXR-Screenshot-2022-12-28_02-05-20.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
I'm going to be 76 in May. As a retired Marine, I thought walking the Camino would be a piece of cake (2008), I was very wrong. I pushed too hard, ignored tell tale signs my feet and knee needed rest and drank more beer than water. Since 2008, I've walked five Caminos, the last four were without incident. Here's my takeaway. Walk slowly! Listen to your body. Carry no more than twenty pounds in your pack. Less if possible. Although the number of pilgrims on the Camino is drastically reduced due to Covid, I'm certain the numbers will begin to return to relative norms by this summer. The key will be increased pilgrims from outside the EU. As the need for beds increases consider setting a daily pace of no more than 20 km a day. When possible, reserve a bed so you aren't forced to rush. I like to stop about every five days and book into a hotel for one night. Good food, hot showers, fluffy towels and complete quiet.
Buen Camino
Arn
Arn talks about what works for him. Many of the things that he says in his post are applicable to others but I don't agree with what he says about the bed race.

It does not follow that if you don't reserve a bed then you have to rush. This false dichotomy is based on fear. I know from personal experience at one of the busiest times on the CF that it is possible to not reserve while not needing to rush.

Some people like to reserve, fine, that is good for them but it doesn't mean that everyone else has to or should.

Of course, there are some people who don't reserve AND who do rush. I am puzzled by this behaviour.

For reference I am nearly 70 and have gone on Camino every year for 7 years. Like others, I still haven't found the joy of a walking routine at home.
Mental fortitude is the part of physical training that (I believe) is overlooked. So lest you worry that I don't train, I do walk in preparation for my Caminos. More importantly than the length or rigor of my walks is that I WALK EVERY SINGLE DAY, no excuses. Because after all, that is really the Camino in a nutshell!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.