• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you use such a small pack?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peacemaker

Time of past OR future Camino
Future - planned for late March and April 2022
I'm in final planning for beginning the Camino Frances in early April. I've been collecting ideas about necessary equipment for the April/May shoulder season) without going overboard, and have winnowed down the gear I think will be needed. My pack weighs 21 pounds (9.5 Kilos) without the Crocs, which I'm comfortable carrying.

Here's my challenge and question. I'll be using an Osprey Atmos 50 AG pack, mostly because its comfortable and fits me well. I figured I could use the compression straps to reduce the empty space. I just packed my gear for a test run and...there is no empty space. This is basically the same list another poster shared, who said he packs it in a 28 liter pack! How is that even possible?

I'm now leaning toward replacing the rain jacket with a rain poncho, simply because it would take up less room than the rain jacket and pack cover, but that's the only change I can think of that would reduce the space required.

Any suggestions for how to pack more efficiently would be much appreciated. Here's my packing list:

Winter Camino Packing List

Osprey Atmos AG 50L backpack (with trash compactor liner bag)

In sleeping bag compartment (inside trash compactor bag)
  • Sleeping bag (1kg) in Ultra-Sil compression bag
  • LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Gaiters (to use with low trail runners)
On body (or in waist pack)
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • Tissue pack / wet wipes
In top pocket, side, hip belt pockets, or loose inside pack
  • Sunglasses & cleaning cloth
  • First aid kit
  • Pack rain cover (not if poncho)
  • Water bottle (Nalgene or SmartWater)
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • Knife (on pack shoulder strap)
  • LW gloves
  • Breezeo laundry soap tabs
Electronics (in small ultra-sil bag inside larger Eagle Creek Ultra-Sil bag)
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
Toiletries (in small bag inside larger Eagle Creek Ultra-Sil bag)
  • Deodorant
  • HiBAR Shampoo bar (for body & hair)
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
  • Lone Peak all-weather mids
Clothes to pack (in Eagle Creek Ultra-Sil packing cube x 3, including toiletries, electronics)
  • Underwear x 2
  • Shirts (warmth polyester long sleeves) x 1 + LW hoody
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3
  • Altra Olympus trail runners (low, non-WP)
  • Crocs (or flipflops) for shower (clipped to outside of pack)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looking over your list, what jumps out to me are those two pair of Altras (and I say this as a confirmed Altra fan who will be wearing Olympus 4s on my Camino in May). Do you really need that second pair of all-weather mids, which take up a good amount of pack volume? A pair of hiking sandals that you can wear in the rain would do double duty as shower/lounging shoes, and save you some weight and bulk besides.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At a glance, I am surprised that your list weighs 21 pounds and fills 50 L.

What quantity of snacks, trail mix, toothpaste, meds, etc., are you carrying?

The biggest single items that you carry and I don't, is the Kindle and the extra pair of shoes. The Crocs and trail runners are bulky and heavy. Do you need them both?

Is your hoody bulky? Does the puffy jacket pack up well?

PS - I know the subject of pack liners is something that folks on here have Very Strong Opinions about, but personally the idea of all my stuff swimming around in a single bag inside my backpack gives me anxiety - which is why I separate my categories of gear (sleeping, clothing, and misc.) into 12L Osprey ultralight dry bags. In addition to keeping things dry (obviously) they also help me find things easily without having to dump out or wade through a large pack, and they also serve to somewhat compress their contents. My gear list is comprable to yours (minus the second pair of Altras) and fits easily into three 12L dry bags inside my REI Trail 40L pack with room to spare.

I know your Eagle Creek packing cubes serve somewhat the same purpose, but you may find that the dry bag configuration helps you pack things more efficiently.

At a glance, I am surprised that your list weighs 21 pounds and fills 50 L.

What quantity of snacks, trail mix, toothpaste, meds, etc., are you carrying?

The biggest single items that you carry and I don't, is the Kindle and the extra pair of shoes. The Crocs and trail runners are bulky and heavy. Do you need them both?

Is your hoody bulky? Does the puffy jacket pack up well?
Hmmm, interesting thoughts from everyone. The puffy sucks in air and expands unless its under pressure. I didn't think about it, but I think I can stuff it into its own pocket and reduce the space it takes up. I'm taking the two pair of Altras because I hate wet feet and the mids pack down smaller than my hiking boots. Also, I doubt the LPs alone would last the entire 500 miles of the CF, so having two pair will help in that way.

I don't have any snacks yet, and won't if I need the space. Travel size everything for toiletries. I'm a big time reader, and I think I'd go crazy without the Kindle. I plan to clip the Crocs to the outside of my pack, so they don't really take up space inside. The hoody is very lightweight, more like a heavy shirt than a fleece.

Everything fits, I was just surprised that it took up the entire pack space with no room left over after seeing what others are packing in much smaller packs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
PS - I know the subject of pack liners is something that folks on here have Very Strong Opinions about, but personally the idea of all my stuff swimming around in a single bag inside my backpack gives me anxiety - which is why I separate my categories of gear (sleeping, clothing, and misc.) into 12L Osprey ultralight dry bags. In addition to keeping things dry (obviously) they also help me find things easily without having to dump out or wade through a large pack, and they also serve to somewhat compress their contents. My gear list is comprable to yours (minus the second pair of Altras) and fits easily into three 12L dry bags inside my REI Trail 40L pack with room to spare.

I know your Eagle Creek packing cubes serve somewhat the same purpose, but you may find that the dry bag configuration helps you pack things more efficiently.
Yes, I use packing cubes for the same reason you use dry bags. I like the idea using dry bags instead. I have a few that I can press into service, just hadn't thought about doing it. Great idea!

Seems like it should all fit pretty easy into your 50L bag. 🤔. Maybe it’s just the size of the “same” items that you chose versus the original poster? For example, a “first aid kit” can be the size of a deck of cards or a large book. A 1lb sleeping bag can be squeezed into a the size of a soup can or expanded to fill a pack.

Still, I’d lose some of that. Don’t need two pairs of hiking shoes, sleeping bag or liner but not both, etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm in final planning for beginning the Camino Frances in early April. I've been collecting ideas about necessary equipment for the April/May shoulder season) without going overboard, and have winnowed down the gear I think will be needed. My pack weighs 21 pounds (9.5 Kilos) without the Crocs, which I'm comfortable carrying.

Here's my challenge and question. I'll be using an Osprey Atmos 50 AG pack, mostly because its comfortable and fits me well. I figured I could use the compression straps to reduce the empty space. I just packed my gear for a test run and...there is no empty space. This is basically the same list another poster shared, who said he packs it in a 28 liter pack! How is that even possible?

I'm now leaning toward replacing the rain jacket with a rain poncho, simply because it would take up less room than the rain jacket and pack cover, but that's the only change I can think of that would reduce the space required.

Any suggestions for how to pack more efficiently would be much appreciated. Here's my packing list:

• LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • First aid kit
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • LW gloves
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
  • Deodorant
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
Clothes to pack (in Eagle Creek Ultra-Sil packing cube x 3, including toiletries, electronics)
  • Underwear x 2
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3
A photo of all the gear laid out alongside the pack and another of the pack, er, packed would be useful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
........or gaiters. I took some on my first Camino. Then I learned that your feet get wet when it rains no matter what you do.....its the squishy from below (even gortex shoes), not the rain from above that soak your feet. Walking with wet feet are what the wool socks are about. The gaiters just took up space. Ditto for the rain pants. You're going to get wet. Then the sun will come out and you will dry. Also, a kilo sleeping bag is a pretty...ahem...lofty piece. I carry a down quilt that weighs a pound. You're sleeping on a mattress every night indoors-its not camping! Also, doesn't your knife have a pair of scissors? Most swiss army knives do. If you suffer from chronic cold hands, I get the gloves. For me, my rain jacket sleeves are long enough (Its a size too big) that my hands are fully covered if I unroll the cuffs. I walk all winter in the northwest rain without any issues....or gloves. On that subject, a vote for the poncho over the pack cover......the pack gets wet through the belt and shoulder straps, and it wicks under the cover. Also keeps your thighs dry.

Finally, you DO need a second pair of shoes, although for most is sandals or crocs to wear in the evening. I have carried a spare pair of walking shoes instead (change socks/shoes mid-day) when the forecast was really ugly, but that's a call you make the days before you go.

Keep your pack as light as possible.

There is something not right about that list, it should MOSTLY fit and weigh less. I get all mine into a 33l Osprey and that includes the trekking sandals for evening and flip flops for the shower. (7.5kg without water) A second pair of shoes is an unnecessary luxury.

I use a portable scale in the shop when I buy my items, have you tried weighing your individual items to compare with similar items?

Its always a surprise when lightweight turns out not to be lightweight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Given I can get a tent and cooking gear in with a similar list into a 33litre pack, and a lighter weight, suggests some rethinking.
But I am a dry bag fan for dividing up, organising and compressing.

I haven't carried a spare set of walking shoes and these weigh a fair amount and take up space. Gaiters are only in my winter kit and certainly wouldn't make a spring camino on the Frances which is well pathed and especially if I had rain trousers too.
If clothes listed are in addition to your hiking outfit, then 3 socks seems too many. And the combo of cap beanie and buff seems a little much. Gloves are probably personal as some people suffer from cold hands, but if you think that these are a just in case item, socks can be used in a pinch, or a cheap pair picked up if weather turns very cold.
Another question is what size of towel do you have? Microfiber towels add up quickly the bigger it gets, and I'm of the persuasion that it doesn't need to wrap around you, (but I am not a tiny shammy cloth size either).

Might be it was my list you are referring to, if not, i went on my first camino carrying a Gossamer Gear Murmur 36L Backpack that features an internal volume of 28 liters.
It was to large, to put it simple.

I'll post a screenshot of my packing list (which is still missing 2-3 items, so add another 300-500g), but let me explain on how i pack:

Clothing --> goes into a 8L S2S Ultra Sil Drysack. It would also fit a 4L one, but cramped and i got the volume.
Sleeping Bag -- > goes in a 4L Drysack. It would also fit a 2L one, but the down likes some extra space
Wash Kit --> goes in a 1L Zip Lock
Electronics --> again 1L ZL
Pilgrim Pass (and notebook which i won't bring again) --> again 1L ZL
Vaping Stuff --> again 1L (with lots of room)

Added up this comes to 16L, easily packed. Ad another 2L maybe because packed this way you won't be 100% efficient. So there are another 10L left, for shoes, wine, daypack, whatever.

My rain gear goes into the mesh pocket on the front of the backpack. My phone and one 750ml bottle of water go to the shoulder harness. Another 750ml bottle and the eventual sunscrenn goe into the side pockets of the pack. Tissues, chapstick, the invaluable S-Hook and the ocasional snack go into one belt pocket, lose change, gloves, buff go into the other. Vape Cigarette and Wallet go either in the trousers or belt pockets too.
My first aid kit (which i won't bring again) was fixed on the outside of the pack (on a carabiner?? snap hook? whats the word)

I think thats it. Again, i had plenty of space in my backpack, which turned out to be a bit annoing, but for my next camino i'll take a very thin foam mat to pad it out better.

Cheers!

1647342399890.png

The things I'd leave (I'm not you, so maybe this doesn't work for you at all, just another opinion 😉):

- Kindle (use phone for entertainment)
- sleep mask (use buff instead)
- sleeping bag liner (bag alone is enough)
- poncho instead of rain jacket+rain pants+pack cover.
- laundry soap (use shampoo bar)
- nail clippers (use the scissors you listed)
- second pair of shoes. Bring just the crocs as evening/albergue shoes. They can double as emergency footwear also (a friend of mine even walked half the GR65 in crocs...!)

With that pack weight your clothes might be a bit on the heavy side? My winter pack weighs 9kg and that includes a tent, sleeping mat and winter sleeping bag!

But overall your list looks ok to me, even without any changes. Personally I use a 70l pack because I prefer to have more space and don't like playing Tetris in my pack to get everything in. A 28l Pack is maybe good for a summer Camino with hotel stays and for ultra light enthusiasts... but many people use bigger packs than that. So, don't worry too much.

If you can carry your pack comfortably, its size and weight don't really matter that much.

One thing though:

I'm taking the two pair of Altras because I hate wet feet

If it rains constantly all day, you will get wet. Even if you wrap yourself completely in waterproof fabric from head to toes and walk in waterproof shoes - then you'll be wet from sweating...

Then I learned that your feet get wet when it rains no matter what you do.....its the squishy from below (even gortex shoes), not the rain from above that soak your feet. Walking with wet feet are what the wool socks are about. The gaiters just took up space. Ditto for the rain pants. You're going to get wet

Exactly this.

I take less than you, and while it may fit into a 28 liter pack, I have no desire to put together a puzzle every morning to pack up.
I had the same size backpack as you for three Caminos. Things were not crammed in and I really paid attention to not "filling the void". Except for some people remarking on the size of my backpack, it suited me well. That said, for my next Camino this coming Fall, I have purchased an Osprey 36. I will stepping into a learninng curve on packing, etc.
Buen Camino

I echo what others are saying and I don’t know what sizes you wear but speaking as a bigger person, my clothes weigh more and so they take up more space. So maybe that’s causing the space crunch. I saved by brining clothes that were all lightweight synthetic fabrics. Crocs are definitely bulky, and you didn’t share your shoe size 😜 but sandals can slide neatly into your pack. Perhaps you can also strap your sleeping bag to the outside, most packs can do that. If you have a phone then you don’t need a watch. You’ll forget what day it is anyway! Buen Camino

Looking over your list, what jumps out to me are those two pair of Altras (and I say this as a confirmed Altra fan who will be wearing Olympus 4s on my Camino in May). Do you really need that second pair of all-weather mids, which take up a good amount of pack volume? A pair of hiking sandals that you can wear in the rain would do double duty as shower/lounging shoes, and save you some weight and bulk besides.
That's what I've done on two Caminos. I happened to use Teva's because I would feel comfortable hiking in them if I needed to and they function well as shower/albergue shoes as well as town shoes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's so easy to look at someone else's list and despair over how much weight/space yours takes, comparatively. Perhaps they are significantly shorter. Or perhaps their entire list came from ultralight cottage industry brands that are expensive.

I agree with others that a pair of sandals to replace the second pair of Altras is a good idea (I am bringing one of each). And a pair of flip flops weighs significantly less than crocs. I'm defiantly bringing my kindle in spite of the weight so you won't get any grief from me on that one. lol

Buen Camino.

• LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • First aid kit
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • LW gloves
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
  • Deodorant
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
  • Underwear x 2
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3
In 2010, I walked the CF with a pack that contained - too many granola bars, too much water and other things that I don’t even recall! I received many comments, since I am only 1m55, with a 40l backpack. I was happy and felt that I needed to carry that much. Walked at my own pace and made to Finisterre with only one blister. If you feel that you need it, take it! You can always leave it behind or send it back home. Buen Camino !

I'm taking the two pair of Altras because I hate wet feet and the mids pack down smaller than my hiking boots. Also, I doubt the LPs alone would last the entire 500 miles of the CF, so having two pair will help in that way.
You might be right about the Altra Olympus not lasting the whole camino, but I get more mileage out of my Lone Peaks (LPs). As far as wet feet ... mine have dried overnight even after being completely soaked from rain. Just stick some newspaper in them near a heating source of possible.

Have you ever thought about using a bounce box to have an extra pair of shoes etc. in country? I have bounced a box each time via general delivery (lista de correos). SJPdP - Burgos, Burgos - León, León - SdC. It is worth it for me to know that I can get a pair of shoes that fit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmmm, interesting thoughts from everyone. The puffy sucks in air and expands unless its under pressure. I didn't think about it, but I think I can stuff it into its own pocket and reduce the space it takes up. I'm taking the two pair of Altras because I hate wet feet and the mids pack down smaller than my hiking boots. Also, I doubt the LPs alone would last the entire 500 miles of the CF, so having two pair will help in that way.

I don't have any snacks yet, and won't if I need the space. Travel size everything for toiletries. I'm a big time reader, and I think I'd go crazy without the Kindle. I plan to clip the Crocs to the outside of my pack, so they don't really take up space inside. The hoody is very lightweight, more like a heavy shirt than a fleece.

Everything fits, I was just surprised that it took up the entire pack space with no room left over after seeing what others are packing in much smaller packs.
Can you load Kindle app onto your phone and read there?
I have tried 3 different pairs of rain pants (all on the first camino). Every pair was a disaster: sweaty legs inside, and heavy. Ditch 'em. Like many others, I advise a good poncho and running gaiters to prevent water going down your boots.
I have walked in 17/21 days of pouring rain with mud on the Portugues. My shoes never soaked through (Keen Durand). Wear light-weight wool socks and I don't think you will have wet feet. If you really can't manage with just one pair of shoes, hop into a Decathlon or a Planeta Agua and get another pair.
You don't say how much underwear but generally I find 3 of everything: what you have on you, what's in the wash, and what you will wear tomorrow. Some people get by with 2 sets but for me that's cutting slim. More than 3 is more than you want to carry of anything as that's going to come to somewhere between 15-20 extra items in your pack (socks, underwear, t-shirt, bra, bottom, mid-layer etc).
Keep your mid-layer to one item.
I hope your puffer is water resistant. That can be very important -- so that your insulation doesn't get ruined.
I find the Smartwater bottle preferable to the Nalgene. Nalgene is heavy, bulky and difficult to undo on a long walk.
Sleeping bag is very heavy --- try a light-weight down quilt inside your silk liner instead: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07YC4NBJ4/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Last edited by a moderator:
The best thing I learned from this forum: you pack, and thus carry, your fears. When I looked at my list and stuff again with that in mind, it was easier to reduce even more.

I would not carry two pairs of shoes for the chance to have wet feet. I would leave the goretex pair at home and go with the other. The amazing thing about Altra is that you walk them dry quickly (I'm running ultra's in them, and even after having had to wade through streams or hours in a downpour) they never get too wet. Altra magic. Also either crocs or flipflops.

I wonder if april may is as winter as you think? So either liner or sleeping bag. I chose liner for my november caminho portugues and only once could I have done with a bit more (but then I was often the only person in the albergue).

If worse comes to worse and the weather is really cold and miserable, change plans and stay a day longer, or shorten your day or pay for a dryer or pay 4 euros more for a hostel with sheets and towels (and a wee bit more comfort). Your knees and back will be grateful.

The fear I carried was being cold (I was miserable on the Mozarabe) so I brought a lightweight puffer for the portugues. I used it once as the november weather was milder than expected. (I would bring it again though, a fear I'm happy to carry).

For the first aid kit: bring only what you know how to use. You're walking from village to village, you're not far away from anything.
Same for food and snacks, bring what could tide you over for a particularly gnarly day and make it part of the daily fun to explore the local (super)market, bakery, shop.

Last thing that made a huge impact on space: roll your clothes. again, magic!

I use a Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30

Most importantly enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 111
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

• LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • First aid kit
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • LW gloves
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
  • Deodorant
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
  • Underwear x 2
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3
A few good pieces of advice I got were: everything weighs something!; you should carry no more than 10% of your weight; get your poncho at IKEA, they come in red and black, cost about $10, and they are way lighter than the army grade ones!
I'm over 200 lbs, and I carried 20 lbs give or take in a 30 litre pack. I used a pack cover for light rain with my wind breaker, poncho over whatever for sustained rain. Wear a water repellent hat because Cotton hats get sodden in rain.

Have you ever thought about using a bounce box to have an extra pair of shoes etc. in country? I have bounced a box each time via general delivery (lista de correos). SJPdP - Burgos, Burgos - León, León - SdC. It is worth it for me to know that I can get a pair of shoes that fit.
I was wondering about this. You can pick up the box, add or subtract as necessary, and then bounce the box to the next big city?

Hopefully the original poster posts a photograph of the pile of items: I am truly curious how that reasonable list of items weighs that much and takes up all that space!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Peacemaker I'm very excited for you. You're in for a real treat, the Frances is a great Camino especially for your first time.

* When I walked the Frances in Fall and then again in the Spring I didn't take gators or rain pants, I just don't see the need for them. (Forum members, please don't flog me.) :) There were other pilgrims that used them. I thought it funny that when it started to rain, (drizzle), they would stop, pull out their rain gear and gear up. We would walk five or ten minutes maybe even half an hour or so when the rain (drizzle) would stop. Then they would stop, strip off the gear and stuff it back in their packs. Personally I wouldn't take them. The word is on the Camino that if you want it to stop raining, put on your rain gear. 😂 I used water resistant hiking zip off pants. I do recall one morning in the Fall when it was raining, yes my pants got wet but when the rain stopped my pants dried out quickly. For me, not an issue.

* I used a poncho (nothing fancy or expensive) and had a lightweight wind/rain jacket and used the pack cover, if at all. The poncho covered the pack. If it was cold (mornings) I would pair the jacket with a down vest I wore underneath. The vest very lightweight and compresses down nicely. I also use the compression bags, color coded even :)

* No need to double down on the walking shoes. I'd take the lighter of the two, a pair of sandals for evening wear and flipflops for shower.

* No watch, wallet or Kindle, use your phone for reading and clock and use a moneybelt to carry extra cash/travel passport/credit cards. A moneybelt you wear under your clothing. I would eat, sleep and shower with my money belt. When showering I would slip it into a large ziplock baggie and it came in the shower with me. Have enough euro's for a couple of days in your waist pack or a zippered pants pocket.

* No water bottle. I took one on my first two Camino's and they were cumbersome. Instead I purchased a bottle of water at the start and would refill it at the fonts until it wore out then I would purchase another bottle. I believe the Smart Water water bottles are sturdy enough to last a while.

* I used a lightweight sleeping bag that stuffed down into it's own compression bag. In the Fall and Spring evenings and mornings can be rather chilly. A sleep sac for the summer.

Okay well, that's my humble opinion and experience or now. :) Use what you want and leave the rest for someone else.

Oh and you can always take less then buy along the way. There are many places that carry Camino items. Buen Camino!! 👣😎

PS: I don’t have the lightest pack but all in all my pack weight is less than 15lbs. I try to keep it at around 12lbs. The pics show my summer Camino kit.
24A79767-C8FA-468D-9D13-EA507314DF81.jpeg40CAB8EE-585B-47A3-871B-10CCB0D3F58D.jpeg

Last edited:
Might be it was my list you are referring to, if not, i went on my first camino carrying a Gossamer Gear Murmur 36L Backpack that features an internal volume of 28 liters.
It was to large, to put it simple.

I'll post a screenshot of my packing list (which is still missing 2-3 items, so add another 300-500g), but let me explain on how i pack:

Clothing --> goes into a 8L S2S Ultra Sil Drysack. It would also fit a 4L one, but cramped and i got the volume.
Sleeping Bag -- > goes in a 4L Drysack. It would also fit a 2L one, but the down likes some extra space
Wash Kit --> goes in a 1L Zip Lock
Electronics --> again 1L ZL
Pilgrim Pass (and notebook which i won't bring again) --> again 1L ZL
Vaping Stuff --> again 1L (with lots of room)

Added up this comes to 16L, easily packed. Ad another 2L maybe because packed this way you won't be 100% efficient. So there are another 10L left, for shoes, wine, daypack, whatever.

My rain gear goes into the mesh pocket on the front of the backpack. My phone and one 750ml bottle of water go to the shoulder harness. Another 750ml bottle and the eventual sunscrenn goe into the side pockets of the pack. Tissues, chapstick, the invaluable S-Hook and the ocasional snack go into one belt pocket, lose change, gloves, buff go into the other. Vape Cigarette and Wallet go either in the trousers or belt pockets too.
My first aid kit (which i won't bring again) was fixed on the outside of the pack (on a carabiner?? snap hook? whats the word)

I think thats it. Again, i had plenty of space in my backpack, which turned out to be a bit annoing, but for my next camino i'll take a very thin foam mat to pad it out better.

Cheers!

View attachment 120573
The only item I’m happy to carry and not use is a small first aid kit - not a full ‘emergency room’ but enough to ease my path to the nearest farmacia.

• LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • First aid kit
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • LW gloves
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
  • Deodorant
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
  • Underwear x 2
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3
I think you’ll find a 21 pound pack more than you really want to carry! I believe that I started out on my first Camino with about that weight in a 36L pack. By the time I had reached Pamplona, I had already shed a number of pounds. Since then, my wife and I both keep our pack weights between 12-14 pounds which leaves some space in our Osprey 36L packs. I certainly recommend dropping 6-7 pounds off where you are right now. You’ll enjoy the carry much more. If you go to our Camino Portugués blog, you’ll find our packing list with exact weights. We’ve since reduced a bit more. http://caminoportugues2017.blogspot.com/2017/03/packing-for-portugal_16.html

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only item I’m happy to carry and not use is a small first aid kit - not a full ‘emergency room’ but enough to ease my path to the nearest farmacia.
I understand the sentiment, but in my nearly 40 years of life i needed more than a bandaid or some ibuprofen on exactly two occasions, both in which a medical kit would not have helped either. Since my training in this regard is more than twenty years in the past now, i most likely would not know what to do with anything more complex than a bandaid aswell. So i decided to drop that piece.
But I am perfectly fine with anyone who thinks differently.

Your sleeping bag weighs 1kg? There are sleeping bags that weigh half of that, and probably compress better. So - I am assuming your bag is taking up more space than most. My bag weighs 450 grams and is VERY compressible. Your second pair of altras are definitely not needed. Bring a pair to walk in that isn't too worn and they will likely last the entire trail. If not - you can always pick up an extra pair of shoes. If you are bringing a kindle - then you don't need to bring a guidebook. Just use your kindle. Or go one step further - if you bring your phone you don't NEED a kindle. Just use your phone and download the kindle app. Nudge notes and pen also not necessary if you can make notes in your phone. If you have a buff - you can use that as an eye mask. You don't really need water proof gloves. Unless maybe you are walking in winter. Your puffy - is it synthetic or down? Synthetic weights more than down and is usually less compressible. You don't need a beanie AND a visor cap - again - your buff can be used as a head and/or neck cover with the visor. Knife isn't really necessary - but may come in handy. I didn't miss mine. This time my nail clippers have a tiny scissor attachment. Your first aid kit probably has more supplies than you need. Your medications - how are you storing them, in pill bottles or medication size zip lock baggies? Are you bringing just the essentials (prescription meds and ibuprofen) or are you bringing a bunch of "what if" medications? Water bottle - definitely use the SmartWater bottle instead of nalgene to lighten your load. I found that I only needed to replace mine once or twice. As for your clothes - I don't know what size you wear so that may be an issue, or you may be wearing heavier clothes where lighter weight clothes are available. I personally have fun weighing all my gear and then deciding what to pack. Lighterpack . com is a useful tool to create a list of your items and their weights to play around with to see how you can lighten your pack.

Yes, I personally have ton of dry bags - but prefer packing cubes. The reason I like them better is because when I take them out of my pack they open more like a suitcase than a bag you have to dig around in. I use two bigger packing cubes inside my pack, plus a couple zipper bags for electronics and toiletries. And a "shoe" size packing cube to put in my outside pocket for rain gear. Then I just have the rain cover for my pack. If I were on a true wilderness hike I would for sure use dry sacks - but since I will have a roof over my head every night - I am not too worried if my pack contents do get wet (which could be a disaster on a wilderness hike). I had lots of rain last year and my system was just fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm taking the two pair of Altras because I hate wet feet and the mids pack down smaller than my hiking boots. Also, I doubt the LPs alone would last the entire 500 miles of the CF, so having two pair will help in that way.
My question about the Altras - how many pairs have you owned and how long did it take for you to "break in" each pair? I find that as long as I buy the right size (sized up) Altras - they don't really need to be broken in. I do still go for a couple 17 mile walks in them before taking them on a trip like this to test them out - but the right trail runners in the right size with the right socks may not need to be broken in ahead of time. With that in mind - it is easier to take a practically new pair of Altras on the Camino. Mine not only lasted my entire Camino - I am tempted to bring them with me again lol. OK- that is pushing it - but they do still have quite a bit of life left. As for the wet shoes - you are only walking for maybe 6 hours a day and then you get to an algergue and can clean up and dry your feet. If you want - you can change your socks mid walk. I didn't feel the need to, even though I had many days with rain. But if it really concerns you - perhaps bring a pair of waterproof socks instead. They weigh a lot less than a second pair of shoes. Or... as others have mentioned - bring a pair of hiking sandals instead of your crocs and 2nd altras that you can hike in or wear around town. I bring Tevas that I can also take into the shower if I need to. Or you could bring flip flops for the shower.

I understand the sentiment, but in my nearly 40 years of life i needed more than a bandaid or some ibuprofen on exactly two occasions, both in which a medical kit would not have helped either. Since my training in this regard is more than twenty years in the past now, i most likely would not know what to do with anything more complex than a bandaid aswell. So i decided to drop that piece.
But I am perfectly fine with anyone who thinks differently.
I get that, it’s a purely personal decision. My house hasn’t burned down in the last 55 years, but I still pay for insurance. On the other hand, I’m happy to advise against ‘packing your insecurity’.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At the risk of sounding like the metaphorical broken record, I'm the guy that thinks a pack over 15 lbs and leather boots is a recipe for discomfort and occasional misery for a first time Pilgrim. As I have noted a few times before, if you have a history of carrying a heavy pack without strain, then you know what you're capable of, and you could probably do it again. But as I have also posited before, I worry about newbies reading these posts and thinking, "Well, that guy carried 20+ lbs and he was fine with it." I just took my 20L fully pack (June-July Camino) to the airport to weigh it. 10.5 Lbs. I'll probably add a few luxuries and bring that up to 12 lbs. I'm carrying pretty much the same thing that everyone else does, other than a sleeping bag. In my more youthful days of wilderness backpacking, I carried more weight. Did the Tahoe-Yosemite trail in 1970 with a Kelty external frame pack that weighed in at 45 lbs--a lot of freeze dried food. Also had Danner leather boots. But today's thru-hiking backpacker would neither carry that weight nor wear 4 lb leather boots. I am no longer a wilderness backpacker, and technology has greatly improved since my vintage backpack days. All serious backpackers understand the significance of pack weight and hiking shoes. They know stuff. I try to learn from them. Oh, and the 10% rule no matter how often it is trotted out is misguided at best. I think it's reckless. Pack weight and choice of shoes might not have a universal standard, but I would imagine 75% of first time Pilgrims (especially given that our Camino obsession trends towards seniors), could simply be advised to use a 35L or smaller pack with 12 lbs of gear, complimented by trail runners from Hoka, Altra, ASICS, Salomon or the equivalent. Before you say "But, but what about special needs like CPAPS or medication", that's covered by the other 25%. And, yeah, yeah, yeah, everyone walks their own Camino and who's to say what's best. I tell you who's to say what's best, people like davebugg and a number others of this forum with extensive experience. Of course, if you've already walked a Camino, then you know what works. Again, It's the newbie I am concerned with. I highlighted davebugg because he's a longtime wilderness backpacking veteran, and a senior, who knows the same stuff current thru-hikers know. Davebugg might be the most courteous, pleasant non-confrontational poster on the Forum. He is unlikely ever to be as doctrinaire as I on these topics, but his opinions are wisdom, even if delicately presented. And finally, again, I'm not at all suggesting my views about weight and shoes apply to everyone--just 75% of newbies. A few times a year, I will write something like this, and it usually causes a stir.

• LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • First aid kit
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • LW gloves
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
  • Deodorant
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
  • Underwear x 2
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3
I can't see anything there that would take up that much space, except shoes (is that 3 sets of footwear?) Crocs are light, but bulky and do you need the trail runners AND the all-weather mids?. Your sleeping bag weighs 1kg, how big is it? If you have a liner as well, could you manage with a smaller bag? And two pairs of gloves? Gaiters AND WP pants? Why both? - they do the same thing. I'm not sure how much time you'll spend reading your kindle, either. The other areas where things might be taking up space are toiletries and first aid kit - you need them, but you can replenish along the way so smaller containers, perhaps. Finally, you can buy an EU compatible charger in Spain (probably at the airport, maybe even a local electronics store) so the adaptor won't be needed. One more suggestion: Dry sacs. I am a great believer in dry sacs. Apart from keeping stuff dry much more efficiently than a pack cover, you can squash stuff up really small, write on them so you know what is in them and pack more effectively, and biggest bonus of all, you won't make rustling noises as you get ready in the morning. Hope this was helpful. I'm off to pack my backpack now. Buen camino, friend.

Before you say "But, but what about special needs like CPAPS or medication", that's covered by the other 25%.
And with current technology - those of us who have had to carry CPAP machines are quite capable of keeping our packs no larger than 30L in size and weighing no more than 15 pounds. I know - because I did this last summer! It does require investing in a travel size CPAP machine - but for those who love to travel it is well worth the investment! My pack is currently fully loaded and currently includes my clothes and shoes that I will be hiking in - and still weighs under 15 pounds. And I intend to thin it out a little more before I leave.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

• LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • First aid kit
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • LW gloves
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
  • Deodorant
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
  • Underwear x 2
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3

You can do with a 300 gram sleeping bag +10c/+50f all year round and a sleeping bag liner is not needed if you have a sleeping bag. That will save you 800-900 grams and a lot of space in your backpack.

Here's a few examples:
Nordisk - Oscar +10
Patagonia - Lightweight Sleeping Bag
Cumulus - Heat Liner

I am a continuous reader and have really missed having a book on some 5 or 7 day bush walks, but over 45 days on the CF I did not miss a book at all - too much of interest going on and tired enough to fall asleep straight away in bed. I suggest leaving the kindle at home.
Sometimes it is good to walk your own experience rather than read about someone else's.

Short digression: The 3 Capes Walk in Tasmania has a great answer to this. There are three huts and they each have exactly the same library - no need to 'borrow' the book you have started as it is already waiting at the next hut. And yes I did read some of those books on that 4 day walk.

Of course, someone who is 1m50 tall and very slim will automatically have a lighter pack carrying the exact same kit compared with someone 1m80 tall and more bulky. Just that their clothes need more material. Don't sweat it. Take what you feel you must have. If it's too much you can give it away or post it ahead. If it's not enough then Spain does have shops.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was wondering about this. You can pick up the box, add or subtract as necessary, and then bounce the box to the next big city?
Yes. I put whatever I want to resupply with in the box (extra pair of shoes, clothes, additional meds, etc.). I pickup the box, take out what I want, put in what I want, and then bounce it forward. The person at the counter retapes the box and helps me label it.

Yes. I put whatever I want to resupply with in the box (extra pair of shoes, clothes, additional meds, etc.). I pickup the box, take out what I want, put in what I want, and then bounce it forward. The person at the counter retapes the box and helps me label it.
Brilliant! What are the charges each time you bounce it?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wanted to clarify an issue with my post on bounce boxes. I did not send the first boxes from Saint Jean. I sent the first box from Cortes Ingles near Puerta del Sol in Madrid to Burgos and I think 1 time from the Correos in Pamplona to Burgos. I do not know if there would be any customs issues, and just wanted to keep it simple. I usually fly in and out of Madrid, and spend a few days before the Camino.

I am amazed that people would want to even fuss with a "bounce box". It isn't a wilderness hike where you have limited access to regular grocery stores, pharmacies, or other stores and there are not even regular towns for days at a time. The Camino runs through small and large towns, usually every few km. There are all sorts of grocery stores, pharmacies , and other stores along the way. Then there is the issue of post office hours which are NOT conveniently open all day like they are in, say, the US. Then there is the issue that you truly don't need very much for a Camino. Add to that, you waste a lot of time going to the post office to collect and then remail our box. Oh - and that is even assuming your package actually arrived to that destination before you do (I have had mail never reach it's destination a few times domestically and abroad). You can pack light and do laundry daily (or every other day if that is preferred). You buy food and snacks along the way. Your daily needs are usually predictable and you can pack for it. Passport, pilgrims passport, Euros, spare credit card, debit card, 1 pair of hiking shoes, 1 pair of evening shoes, 2-3 sets of clothing including socks (often double socks), down puffy or fleece, rain jacket or poncho, sleeping bag/liner, ear plugs, a few hygiene items, a few first aid items, any necessary medications, and perhaps a few electronics like your phone and charger. And if for some reason you did not bring something you need - you can always buy somewhere along the way. Now - if you are doing the tourist thing before/after the Camino - I get that you may want to bring an extra bag and ship it from your starting point to your ending point - but even that can be avoided. I personally pack for my Camino then after I reach Santiago or in the next big city - I buy a couple new outfits for my tourist days. I put it in the budget and those clothes become part of the souveigneers I bring home - outfits that no one else has because they were bought in Spain.

I there’s an assumption that everyone has the same needs that is not always true. The person with insulin might really appreciate not having to carry 6 weeks of supplies at once. The person walking in a shoulder season may not want to carry winter gear and summer gear both at the same time. We cannot know what other people’s needs are. A bounce box is an option that might make a pilgrimage possible for someone who otherwise could not experience the Camino.

I there’s an assumption that everyone has the same needs that is not always true. The person with insulin might really appreciate not having to carry 6 weeks of supplies at once. The person walking in a shoulder season may not want to carry winter gear and summer gear both at the same time. We cannot know what other people’s needs are. A bounce box is an option that might make a pilgrimage possible for someone who otherwise could not experience the Camino.
There are of course always exceptions - but most people really shouldn't even need to consider this. For most people - we need very little for the Camino. As for diabetic supplies or other extra medical supplies - I would carry them with me myself (like I did my CPAP machine). OR.... I personally would prefer to use luggage transport services that bring my supplies town to town where it is delivered daily to my next destination. As opposed to fussing with the postal service and relying on postal service hours and it is more likely my package may not reach its destination on time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would carry 21 pounds and a 50L pack.
Granted, I have not read this entire thread, so maybe I'm missing something.
My pack weighs 10 pounds this year without water, which I carry in my Macabi pocket.
This year it's a 32L Arcteryx Brize pack, which is not packed full - I usually take a 28L pack, but this year wanted to try this new top-loading Brize.
I suspect you'll be dropping weight as you go.
Maybe you're just a big guy.
Or maybe I need another cup of coffee to get rid of my grouchy mood...
Or maybe I just need to change my avatar

Attachments

• 46b75036f281b77030b6e78196ad4f8a.jpeg
    46b75036f281b77030b6e78196ad4f8a.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 52
I am amazed that people would want to even fuss with a "bounce box". It isn't a wilderness hike where you have limited access to regular grocery stores, pharmacies, or other stores and there are not even regular towns for days at a time. The Camino runs through small and large towns, usually every few km. There are all sorts of grocery stores, pharmacies , and other stores along the way. Then there is the issue of post office hours which are NOT conveniently open all day like they are in, say, the US. Then there is the issue that you truly don't need very much for a Camino. Add to that, you waste a lot of time going to the post office to collect and then remail our box. Oh - and that is even assuming your package actually arrived to that destination before you do (I have had mail never reach it's destination a few times domestically and abroad). You can pack light and do laundry daily (or every other day if that is preferred). You buy food and snacks along the way. Your daily needs are usually predictable and you can pack for it. Passport, pilgrims passport, Euros, spare credit card, debit card, 1 pair of hiking shoes, 1 pair of evening shoes, 2-3 sets of clothing including socks (often double socks), down puffy or fleece, rain jacket or poncho, sleeping bag/liner, ear plugs, a few hygiene items, a few first aid items, any necessary medications, and perhaps a few electronics like your phone and charger. And if for some reason you did not bring something you need - you can always buy somewhere along the way. Now - if you are doing the tourist thing before/after the Camino - I get that you may want to bring an extra bag and ship it from your starting point to your ending point - but even that can be avoided. I personally pack for my Camino then after I reach Santiago or in the next big city - I buy a couple new outfits for my tourist days. I put it in the budget and those clothes become part of the souveigneers I bring home - outfits that no one else has because they were bought in Spain.

You are fortunate in having no need for such as a ‘bounce box’.

I walked in 2009 and had a pack weight that was easy for me to carry, ie lightweight (and at a time when there were fewer facilities on the CF).

I’ve had decades of experience backpacking and hillwalking and was sourcing lightweight gear in the 1970s, when it was a relatively new concept.
Fast forwards 13 years (since 2009) and I have several needs that I have been lucky enough to avoid having earlier in my life.
I would find a ‘bounce box’ very useful now, for reasons I am not prepared to disclose on a public forum.

Thank you, @linkster and @trecile and those who have left posts about this.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

how about a kindle app on your phone! I've just done this and am impressed with the functionality

I am a large woman (short, fat, middle aged) and I took less than most packing lists in this forum and still had 6.5 kg before water (including pack weight) just because my clothes are big (and therefore heavier and bulkier. What I really wish I hadn’t brought was my iPad mini, because I had left my (light) kindle in Canada on my last visit.
I would just use my kindle app to read, as I do when stuck in a long lineup
My pack is 36l.

• LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • First aid kit
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • LW gloves
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
  • Deodorant
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
  • Underwear x 2
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3

At quick glance, that's a lot of toiletries and technology. I am not sure you need too many snacks. It's hard to say without seeing all this, but it seems like a lot for how serviceable the Camino is. I would definitely ditch the guidebook and, personally, use a handkerchief/bandana instead of bringing tissue paper with me. I also feel like you have too many jacket-like items. I'd choose one versatile jacket and plan on 'layers' ie, your shirts. No need for a hoody, rain shell, and a puffy.

I also travel and hike real rough, so a lot of this stuff never would have made my list, especially on a serviced trail.

I take less than you, and while it may fit into a 28 liter pack, I have no desire to put together a puzzle every morning to pack up.
You have a good list but if I can suggest some changes read on!
-No need for laundry soap if you wash your clothes while showering w shampoo
-gaiters are not really necessary
-tissue pack wet wipes not necessary. Take 2 snack size baggie and put a few tissues or tp from the albergue in….one baggie remains clean the other dirty. Mark as such before you go.
-skip the glasses cleaning cloth. Using your t-shirt won’t destroy your glasses in a month.I wear transition lenses so I only take one pair. No need to change back and forth
—KEEP: pack rain cover,over all ponch, rain coat and rain pants. Both for rain and warmth some mornings when it’s cold.
-wear pants without a belt or w a nylon belt built in , leave the belt home.
-if you take buff you won’t need to take a beanie cap.
-trade the puffy jacket and hoody for a zip up fleece. I take 2long sleeve and 2 short sleeve performance shirts, fleece and if necessary layer my rain jacket over to cut the wind and secure warmth.
- crocs are bulky extra shoes bulky trade crocs for flip flops..when you arrive at your albergue you can take your boots off and slip into flip flops quickly. Wear flip flops in evening. I also took simple light weight but sturdy tevas. I hiked one day in them w socks.
Do what you like but if this helps…Buen Camino

Have you considered using ziploc bags instead of dry sacs? They are inexpensive, waterproof, extra-ultra lightweight, easily replaceable and see-through.

-trade the puffy jacket and hoody for a zip up fleece. I take 2long sleeve and 2 short sleeve performance shirts, fleece and if necessary layer my rain jacket over to cut the wind and secure warmth.
- crocs are bulky extra shoes bulky trade crocs for flip flops..when you arrive at your albergue you can take your boots off and slip into flip flops quickly. Wear flip flops in evening. I also took simple light weight but sturdy tevas. I hiked one day in them w socks.
Only two things I disagree with here for myself -

I would take a puffy with a hood instead of the hoodie and/or fleece. Usually lighter and packs smaller because it is so compressible - and does a better job of keeping me warm. I was packing my bag and my daughters - she is insisting on a fleece instead of her puffy - and it takes up way more room (depends on the fleece of course).

Agree with skipping the crocs - but I also skip the flip flops and just go with the Tevas! The original style Tevas can be worn in the showers if necessary and dry fast enough I wouldn't worry about the wet straps. Flip flops are terrible for walking around town in and they come apart to easily. And of course - the Tevas are a great back up hiking shoe.

As for the belt - well, for me that would depend. Will you always wear the belt with whatever pants/shorts you are hiking in? If yes - go ahead and bring it since it will be worn and not carried. But if it will be in your pack half the time - just get pants/shorts that don't require a belt.

• LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • First aid kit
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • LW gloves
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
  • Deodorant
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
  • Underwear x 2
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3
Dump the
- sleeping bag - not likely needed. If it is cold, most albergues provide blankets. Sleep in your next day's clothes, ready to get out the door faster, quieter with minimal fuss. They keep you warm, use microfibre towel as a light blanket.
- the gaitors - not needed at all. The terrain is open paths for the most part, carved into the land for over 1,000 years.
- the water bottle - buy a bottle of water. Use that same bottle for the entire trip...lighter than any bottle on the market. If it wears out, buy another bottle of water...no more than 1 litre.
- the knife - TSA will confiscate it anyway. Try using scissors instead.
- nail clippers - Why? You have scissors.
- eye mask? - use the beanie.
- toothpaste - use only a small tube or half a full one.
- clothing - 2 of everything including what you have on. Add one nice shirt for evenings. If wearing 2 pairs of socks daily, then double up on them as well. Wear a pair, pack a pair. Every night, wash undies and pants, shirt if needed
Now, 20 lb is enough to cripple some. It did me. My pack now weighs under 10 lb. Imagine the potentials for tiredness, injuries etc? I have just cut them all in half.

If your present packed bag is still easy to carry after walking 12 to 15 km, while you are still at home, then it may be ok. Just remember, (that is 20 lb + water = 23 lb) that you are planning on carrying 800 km for about a month and a bit. Not saying it is not possible and I do not know your physical abilities. Nonetheless, a lighter load will be much more manageable, and less likely to twist an ankle.

And a poncho with sleeves is a good idea instead of a rain jacket. Personally, I use a rain jacket with a rain kilt, add a microfleece pullover if more warmth is needed. Also, in a pinch, I can cut a head hole out of my full length micro fibre towel and wear as a mini poncho under my tshirt for even more warmth, if it goes below freezing.

Buen Camino!

Have you considered using ziploc bags instead of dry sacs? They are inexpensive, waterproof, extra-ultra lightweight, easily replaceable and see-through.
Good point! Except most baggies aren't truly water proof - so be mindful of that and what you put in them if the items must truly remain waterproof. But ziplock baggies can definitely be a great water deterrent.

Even my travel CPAP - I used drysak and a travel carrying case for it on my "backpacking europe" trip (the kind where you take the train and only wear your backpack until you check into your hostel). Even though I had thought I packed light - it was obvious I was still carrying too much weight. I kept mailing stuff home. And I regretted having the hard cover shell for the cpap and the extra drysak.

For the Camino - I knew I needed to pack much lighter. And I knew I needed to protect my travel size CPAP machine. Instead of a travel case that fit snugly against my machine like a protective shell and a dry sak - I bought an "Opsak" baggie to keep it dry and then just packed it in the middle of my clothing and bedding. And an added bonus - when going through security checkpoints I could just pull the entire see through bag out of my pack and didn't have to remove the machine since it was clearly visible to security officers. And my CPAP wasn't placed directly in some filthy bin that everyone in the airport uses. Anyhow - Opsaks are a great lightweight alternative to dry saks for the items that need more than a regular baggie to help keep them dry.

Dump the
- sleeping bag - not likely needed. If it is cold, most albergues provide blankets. Sleep in your next day's clothes, ready to get out the door faster, quieter with minimal fuss. They keep you warm, use microfibre towel as a light blanket.
Don't dump the sleeping bag. Since COVID - most albergues are not providing blankets. People who suggest the albergues provide blankets did not travel since COVID began. After a few warm days/nights I mailed mine home last year in June/July 2021, believing that many albergues would provide blankets if needed, and I regretted it almost every day since. And I did sleep in my next days clothes with a long sleeve shirt, a merino wool half zip pullover, my fleece jacket, and using sleeping bag liner and my dry Turkish Towel as a blanket. Anyway - out of about 30 nights in both municipal and private albergues - only maybe 4-5 places had a blanket to offer. Only the private rooms still offer blankets (and sometimes not even then).

you can read books on your phone - just practice a bit before you go so you’ll get used to it. And you’ll love your kindle even More when you get home.

I am amazed that people would want to even fuss with a "bounce box". It isn't a wilderness hike where you have limited access to regular grocery stores, pharmacies, or other stores and there are not even regular towns for days at a time.
Luggage transport is essentially a daily 'bounce box'. I never used 'bounce boxes' on my PCT and Colorado Trail thru hikes, but I did have resupply shipments sent ahead of me from home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Those suggesting you leave the kindle and read on your phone instead have likely not used a kindle! I have an older “paper white” version and the advantages to a phone are numerous: long battery life, much easier on the eyes, prevents being distracted by other phone apps, less likely to bother other sleepers with a phone’s bright bluish glow, lightweight, etc. I even download all my necessary plans, documents, guidebooks, maps, and more to my kindle - it’s an incredibly useful tool.

Luggage transport is essentially a daily 'bounce box'. I never used 'bounce boxes' on my PCT and Colorado Trail thru hikes, but I did have resupply shipments sent ahead of me from home.
Yes... but luggage transport is going directly albergue to albergue (or at least to a close by albergue) - and if there is a problem with it reaching it's destination the albergue owners know who to contact to help find your luggage - probably the same person transports luggage every day. Your luggage is highly unlikely to get lost or delayed and you will have access to all the same supplies nightly. And not have to hope it it doesn't get lost or delayed in the mail. And even if it arrives on time to your next destination, you don't have to "hope" you make it to the post office before it closes for the night or for the weekend.

And for those sending part of their medical supplies ahead by mail - what if something happens and say you run out of those medical supplies earlier than anticipated (you drop your insulin vial and it broke or you went to take you medication as you walked and it spilled or you set down your supply somewhere and accidentally left it behind or some other odd occurance)- if you mailed the package ahead to the next town with a post office you may not have access to it for a few days and thus would be out of your supplies. Just all sorts of problems with "bounce" boxes that could be prevented by just carrying the supplies with you or transporting through the convenient luggage transport service.

I do understand some people may need medical supplies - but just to keep bouncing "what if" items ahead seems pointless to me. Anyhow - for most people - if you need luggage transport or a bounce box - you probably overpacked or are packing for your fears. Exceptions can be found always - such as the person's who's medical equipment is too heavy or takes up too much space, or a person has a bad back and can't wear a bigger backpack and so on... but for the general population - there is no need to overpack and for those who have special needs - luggage transport is a more convenient/predictable option to post office bounce boxes.

Anyhow - my opinion is also skewed because I have found access to post offices to be incredibly frustrating - both in Spain and when travelling to other countries in general. And I have had packages never arrive at their destination on more than one occasion. And like you - I never used a bounce box but did mail resupply boxes to places where resupply was less available. But this is Spain we are talking about - not a backcountry wilderness trail.

Those suggesting you leave the kindle and read on your phone instead have likely not used a kindle! I have an older “paper white” version and the advantages to a phone are numerous: long battery life, much easier on the eyes, prevents being distracted by other phone apps, less likely to bother other sleepers with a phone’s bright bluish glow, lightweight, etc. I even download all my necessary plans, documents, guidebooks, maps, and more to my kindle - it’s an incredibly useful tool.
I think many of us HAVE used a kindle (or other reading device) - but the topic here is how to pack lighter in a smaller pack. And one easy way to reduce pack size/weight is to multipurpose as many items as you can and eliminate items that do not serve dual purposes and can be deemed unnecessary if you have a separate multipurpose item that can do the same task.

In life in general - there are many reasons why using a kindle or an ipad is far superior to using your phone. But when you are about to set off on a 800km walk - you really evaluate what you really and truly need. The less you carry, the more physically comfortable you will be, and the more enjoyable your adventure will become. Why? Backpain and fatigue can totally ruin your walk. Everything you stated about a kindle is true - but a phone can serve you just as well to read, store plans, store documents, store guidebooks, store maps. And you can turn it on airplane mode to help save battery life and you can adjust the background lighting (I know - not the same - but you can still adjust it if need be). As for battery life? Well charge your phone nightly and if needed, charge again when you reach a bar or albergue for a break.

Anyway - if your kindle is the item that gives you so much pleasure that it is worth the weight - then bring it. But everyone should consider the weight of their pack and their physical comfort/health when making that decision. And many people find eliminating as much technology as possible to be liberating, and you may find you may not want to read as much or listen to music as much - as the Camino pulls you into living in the moment. Or not... I brought my music (on my phone) and only listed to it a couple times. I never listened to my audiobooks or read my guidebooks (which were also on my phone). I did however, open my Camino Apps and Maps and accessed my vaccine card picture on my phone. My daughter on the other hand will need to carry a backup battery to recharge her phone and airpods so she can listen to her music constantly (she ALWAYS has music on).

I have, and rejected them on aesthetic grounds 😉

But seriously - I do use Ziploc™️ bags to facilitate transport of toiletries through airports and for organizing small miscellany (pens, etc.) in larger bags. But mainly I prefer my Osprey dry bags because I have them already and have been using them for camping and backpacking trips for years.

That said - the “zipping” part on the semi-transparent storage bags always seems to eventually malfunction after repeated use, whereas the roll-and-buckle mechanism on my dry bags is virtually indestructible. I also find that they’re more prone to stretching and tearing in general over days and weeks of loading and unloading. As @jeanineonthecamino mentioned, they’re not truly waterproof. And while they might be easier to replace, that also means the old ones wind up in a landfill somewhere - while the Osprey set I bought years ago is still going strong.

All of which makes “real” dry bags worth the few extra bucks and minimal weight difference for me in the long run - and we’re not talking about something that costs or weighs very much to begin with!

Last edited:
Someone asked whether April/May weather can be as winter like as the OP suggested. The answer is definitely yes. I would not go without a sleeping bag; a silk liner would be not at all adequate. Even in 2018, blankets were not readily available in albergues. However, a 1k sleeping bag is just plain too heavy, so I would suggest spending a little money, if possible, to got for a lightweight or ultra-lightweight sleeping bag.

The OP has a 21-lb backpack and needs to reduce weight, but the idea of eliminating nail clippers, a glasses cleaning cloth, or a sleep mask, for example, will save a few grams and make no dent on the total weight. I remember someone who recommended a few years ago cutting off half of the handle of his toothbrush to save weight.

By eliminating the altra peak all weather mids, he'll reduce his pack by 1lb 8oz. In September on my last camino, the albergues had stacks of newspaper sheets to use to stuff into wet shoes, and my soaked altra lone peaks were dry by morning. I used to wear gore-tex hiking shoes, and my socks got wet after a couple of hours due to trapped perspiration, so I trust that the OP is accustomed to negatives of water-proof shoes.

Between leaving the shoes and getting lighter sleeping bag, the OP could save well over 2 pounds and be under a still-hefty 19 lbs.

I justified carrying my Merrell Gloves (7 oz) as an after-hike shoe because they're really comfortable and took up little space in my back. For the albergue, I got these superlight Water Shoes Barefoot Aqua Yoga Socks Quick-Dry Beach Swim Surf Shoes for Women Men

I'm puzzled about the comments on gaiters. Dirty girl (if the name's right) weight only a few grams, and I wished I had had them a couple of times to keep tiny stones and twigs out of my shoes, but I never wished for them when it was rainy. Shoes are going to get weight, so I try to embrace the situation but don't always do it well.

I have some ultra-lightweight but pricey rain paints that did double duty as long pants in the evening after the day's walk, and on both caminos, they helped against the evening chill. I'm glad I had them during my April-May camino, especially along the meseta in frigid, driving rain--and I was already protected by a below-the-knee poncho.

Clothing that can do double or triple duty should travel; single-use or infrequently used clothing should not. In addition, clothing that can be worn multiple days are a plus. For example, I wore my merino wool T shirts and socks two or three days in a row before changing into a new set; that also meant I didn't have to do hand laundry every night but machine washed everything about once every 7-10 days. I also ditched underwear in favor of running shorts that I could wear in the albergue and to bed or to swim in, in case I had the chance (I didn't). Decathlon has some inexpensive ones in the spring and summer.

I use cycling apparel instead of fleece. Warm cycling sleeves weigh nothing and go on and come off quickly; sunsleeves help keep arms protected. A cycling skull cap is warm, takes up no room, and weighs little.

If I were set on taking my Kindle, I would probably not simply add it to my pack before I removed something else that weighed the same but I could live without. Hmmm. Maybe the long list of nail clippers and other in-the-grams-weight items could add up to a Kindle...!

Yes... but luggage transport is going directly albergue to albergue (or at least to a close by albergue) - and if there is a problem with it reaching it's destination the albergue owners know who to contact to help find your luggage - probably the same person transports luggage every day. Your luggage is highly unlikely to get lost or delayed and you will have access to all the same supplies nightly. And not have to hope it it doesn't get lost or delayed in the mail. And even if it arrives on time to your next destination, you don't have to "hope" you make it to the post office before it closes for the night or for the weekend. And for those sending part of their medical supplies ahead by mail - what if something happens and say you run out of those medical supplies earlier than anticipated (you drop your insulin vial and it broke or you went to take you medication as you walked and it spilled or you set down your supply somewhere and accidentally left it behind or some other odd occurance)- if you mailed the package ahead to the next town with a post office you may not have access to it for a few days and thus would be out of your supplies. Just all sorts of problems with "bounce" boxes that could be prevented by just carrying the supplies with you or transporting through the convenient luggage transport service. I do understand some people may need medical supplies - but just to keep bouncing "what if" items ahead seems pointless to me. Anyhow - for most people - if you need luggage transport or a bounce box - you probably overpacked or are packing for your fears. Exceptions can be found always - such as the person's who's medical equipment is too heavy or takes up too much space, or a person has a bad back and can't wear a bigger backpack and so on... but for the general population - there is no need to overpack and for those who have special needs - luggage transport is a more convenient/predictable option to post office bounce boxes. Anyhow - my opinion is also skewed because I have found access to post offices to be incredibly frustrating - both in Spain and when travelling to other countries in general. And I have had packages never arrive at their destination on more than one occasion. And like you - I never used a bounce box but did mail resupply boxes to places where resupply was less available. But this is Spain we are talking about - not a backcountry wilderness trail.

LOL!!! You made far more out of what I wrote than was actually written.

BTW, I do not use luggage transport., nor did I say anything about using the mail to ship packages in place of luggage transport. I merely said that in 'function', luggage transport is like a bounce box, i.e. that either by mail or by luggage service, they both forward items ahead by the walker.

€46,-

• LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • First aid kit
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • LW gloves
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
  • Deodorant
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
  • Underwear x 2
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3
Fwiw I have an Osprey tempest 40 and an Osprey eja 38 and find the eja 38 definitely fits more in - I go for comfort and weight before focusing on litres - my favourite was actually an old aura 60 that packed down well but sadly deteriorated after many years of use and the new ag frame had increased weight and was not comfortable for me.

Some of this is getting silly in opposite directions LOL. On another thread a while back, someone said to take your glasses in a hard case vs a soft case so no one stepped on them by accident in the albergue after taking them off and tucking them away to sleep. That made perfect sense to me, so the hard case goes instead. Tuck the cleaning cloth in there and good to go. To the poster who suggested using your Tshirt- you're kidding right? Those who know about glasses cleaning clothes, they know.

But- the Kindle. The Kindle should stay home. Think about this for a minute- when exactly are you planning to read that Kindle? Really think about it. You wake up in the albergue while everyone is packing up and rustling around. Are you staying to lounge about with a coffee and a chapter? No. Are you going to pull it out to read at lunch when there are interesting people to talk to? No. What about after checking in to your next hotel/albergue- is reading a chapter going to come ahead of shower/laundry/nap? No. After dinner, are you going to stay up and read a bit or are you going to go to sleep like everyone else? Point being- this isn't home. BookGirl suggests leaving the Kindle at home. Read off your phone for the trip.

BookGirl suggests leaving the Kindle at home.

You make a very detailed and convincing argument! (And the fact that this is all coming from someone named BookGirl makes it extra persuasive 🙂) I've been going back and forth about mine since I have several Camino-related books in my library that I thought would make for useful and interesting reading during my walk, but this post made me finally decide to leave it at home. (I'll probably need to bring a backup pair of reading glasses for all that reading on my phone, but the tradeoff seems worth it.)

Gee, I'm glad not everyone on this forum finds questions and discussions like this to be boring. Else how would any of us Camino newbies be able to learn anything?

I am surprised at some people. You 10lbs (4,5kg) folk. Questioning the heaviness of others packs.
Not everyone has thousands to spend on high tech ultra light gear.

For some people this is their first long walk.
My bag is going to be osprey talon 33 around 6,5 kg (14 lbs) before water and snacks.
I come from a dayhiker background so some of my stuff is heavier and some is lighter than average.

To the OP, dry bags will compress and protect everything.
Maybe look into an aegismax nano 2 sleeping bag 600g which has good reviews and is on the cheap side.

I am pro kindle, because I plan on reading some exam books after my daily walks and there is no way I would do that on my phone.

Buen camino

In relation to your OP - I would suggest separating the matters of pack size and weight in your thinking.

Weight comes down to what you put in the pack, regardless of its capacity. A small pack certainly enforces a certain practical limit on what you can take, but presuming a degree of planning about what you take, a small pack is not always the best option, or guarantee of success.

I would suggest initially working on you gear list - maybe using a plastic clothes basket to put everything in and weigh until you think you have a workable balance of weight and practicality, and then see what volume of stuff you have to carry. Then look at your pack options. A smaller pack is not necessarily lighter, and may not fit as well.

I use a 57 litre framed pack. I like this size, in conjunction with dry bags, because I don't need to jam everything in. My lighter gear includes a few down-filled items - sleeping bag, puffer jacket etc, and they prefer a bit of space. A larger framed pack also fits me better than a small pack. 'Despite' its volume it weighs just 650g (23 ounces) empty, half the weight of my Osprey 33 litre pack. Packed weight is 6.2kg.

Good Luck

• LW sleeping bag liner
  • LW rain pants
  • Phone
  • Wallet
  • Passport
  • Nudge notes & pen
  • Watch
  • Masks
  • Glasses
  • Guidebook??
  • First aid kit
  • Snacks / trail mix
  • LW gloves
  • Kindle
  • Chargers / cables
  • Adapter
  • Earbuds x 2
  • Deodorant
  • Floss
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Mouthguard
  • Razor (disposable)
  • Meds
  • Small comb
  • Nail clippers
  • Small scissors
  • Chapstick
  • Ear plugs
  • Eye mask for sleeping
  • Microfiber towel
Clothes to wear
  • Underwear
  • Shirt / hoody
  • Pants
  • Socks
  • Belt
  • Underwear x 2
  • Pants x 1
  • Puffy
  • LW rain shell
  • Beanie & visor cap
  • Buff
  • WP gloves
  • Socks x 3
Waterproof socks

I carried a book one Camino out of over half a dozen and read 3 or 4 pages, if you are sociable I don't think you will need it.
Each to their own!

Last edited:
Just a thought that I like to have an hour of music music some days and some non-talk alone time even when walking with friends, old or new. Chargeable earbuds use more power than the plug-in versions I think, needing bluetooth. And more easily lost!
Maybe I am overthinking it seeing them on the list.

I am surprised at some people. You 10lbs (4,5kg) folk. Questioning the heaviness of others packs.
Not everyone has thousands to spend on high tech ultra light gear.
You don't have to, or at least I didn't. I just limited what I brought. No second pair of shoes, I brought simple 10euro flipflops. And in my 5,5 kg bag there was even a bikini, a cotton dress and a puffer. I have a tea towel instead of those (horrible) lightweight travel towels. I spare the weight of waterproof bags by using plastic shopping bags (easy to replace too) and 1 or double ziplocs for important stuff.
Things that helped my preparations are definitely sage advice that I got here:
- you're travelling a well travelled road in a very much first world country.
- you're never far from a shop or other services
- don't pack your fears.
- be ready to adapt your plans (bad weather, bad day, beautiful place whatever).

Hope the OP has found some advice here that help his preparations! Don't worry, if you bring to much, you can always send it home (or onwards). If you bring too little, you can buy it on the way. Enjoy your preparations and have a great expercience walking!
buen camino

I think you may need to consider ‘you do your camino and others will do theirs’. As someone who is planning to walk next year for the first time I am finding some of these comments a little judgy and dictatorial.

Sometimes I feel this forum is less “Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn” and more “Where future pilgrims ask questions and past pilgrims make them feel bad for asking”. Fortunately the genuinely kind and helpful people far outnumber the judgy and dictatorial ones, so don’t let the latter get you down :)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sometimes I feel this forum is less “Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn” and more “Where future pilgrims ask questions and past pilgrims make them feel bad for asking”. Fortunately the genuinely kind and helpful people far outnumber the judgy and dictatorial ones, so don’t let the latter get you down :)
IMO ponchos suck. I get so sweaty underneath. I take a nice rain jacket, and rain pants too, though I’ve only had to wear them few and far between. So I hope I am not judgey and hope you can ask the questions you have and receive friendly responses.

IMO ponchos suck. I get so sweaty underneath. I take a nice rain jacket, and rain pants too, though I’ve only had to wear them few and far between. So I hope I am not judgey and hope you can ask the questions you have and receive friendly responses.

That is very much appreciated! I wasn't referring to anyone in particular in my response to @AlpacaArte - it's just something I've noticed on here every now and then. (And since we both happen to be on Team No Poncho, I'd be inclined to think the rest of your advice would be pretty sound too!) ;)

No need for laundry soap if you wash your clothes while showering w shampoo
If you do that, please could you kindly be the last in line for the shower, so that you don't use up all the hot water? Doing laundry in the shower also takes quite a long time, meaning others are having to wait.

Rather, you could toss all your dirty clothes on the shower floor while you are showering, and stamp on them a bit. Then take them out to the proper laundry and finish washing them in the hot/cold water sinks.

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.