• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you wear a hat with a backpack?

On my first camino, I fashioned a neck protector from a triangle of lightweight cloth - one corner knotted to the rear strap of my baseball cap and the other two tucked in at the sides. It worked very well. Last year I bought an Outdoor Research cap with the "legionnaire's" neck cloth. Expensive and a bit nerdy looking, but effective until I left it on a bus.

In addition to wearing a hat, I also apply sunscreen. I hate most sunscreens on my face. They make me feel oily and when I sweat, they sting my eyes. But this Spanish brand does neither - It comes in eye-wateringly expensive tiny bottles, but it's the only one that I can tolerate on my face:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hate sunscreens and hats so I opted for an umbrella, perfect solution for me, it not only protect me from the sun I didn’t need a heavy rain coat either :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A neck gator can be a good addition

Yesterday I compared my neck gaiter with a light scarf for keeping my head warm (I'm a late fall walker) and for weight. I found that it was warmer and lighter than the scarf, so I now have to decide which to take with me, according to whether I want a warmer head (I pull it up at the back, to warm my whole head and neck) and lighter weight, or the more flexible scarf.

Having just been treated for skin cancer (squamous cell carcinoma), and as I really hate sunscreen, I am back to researching sun hats. I usually wear a baseball hat when hiking/walking the Camino. I tried a full brimmed hat, but the back hits against my backpack. I see other people with them though, and I think it's a good idea. How do you keep the backpack from interfering with the hat?
Consider a scarf or shemagh. I used one during my Caminos and found them to useful in many ways... neck wrap, head/neck cover, wash cloth/towel, pillow, etc. You can find them on Amazon in multiple colors. They are usually around 42" X 42" in size and around $10-15 USD. On hot days or when I didn't want to wear it, I would roll it up and tie it around my backpack strap. Hope this helps! Buen Camino!

Consider a scarf or shemagh. I used one during my Caminos and found them to useful in many ways... neck wrap, head/neck cover, wash cloth/towel, pillow, etc. You can find them on Amazon in multiple colors. They are usually around 42" X 42" in size and around $10-15 USD. On hot days or when I didn't want to wear it, I would roll it up and tie it around my backpack strap. Hope this helps! Buen Camino!
Amazon

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Having just been treated for skin cancer (squamous cell carcinoma), and as I really hate sunscreen, I am back to researching sun hats. I usually wear a baseball hat when hiking/walking the Camino. I tried a full brimmed hat, but the back hits against my backpack. I see other people with them though, and I think it's a good idea. How do you keep the backpack from interfering with the hat?
You could just tuck a bandanna under your ball cap and let it drape down your neck

You could just tuck a bandanna under your ball cap and let it drape over your neck.

Only fill the pack to the top of your shoulders. Get a smaller pack if necessary . I have worn my full-brimmed Tilley hat on more than 10 caminos.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The length of a person's neck plays a big part in this discussion, as well. Some folks have almost no neck while others have quite a long one...it can make a big difference.

I had the same concern so I found this style of hat - chin strap, back of neck cover, with visor - no problem with hitting the backpack. https://www.solbari.com/products/ad...MI5_S7hdrg7wIVmGSLCh3cfAJlEAQYAiABEgJwtPD_BwE

I go with a 30 liter pack and a big Tilley Hat. Works great for 2 weeks on the Portuguese and two weeks on Frances.
hat-pack.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When it comes to wearing a hat with a backpack, it can be a bit tricky to get the right fit. One option is to wear a hat with a smaller brim or a visor that won't interfere with your backpack. Another option is to adjust the straps on your backpack so that it sits a bit lower on your back, away from the brim of your hat. If you're looking for a new sun hat, have you considered getting one custom embroidered? I found this website called https://matohash.com/pages/custom-embroidery which offers custom embroidery services. You can add your designs or logos to hats, bags, and other items. It could be a fun way to make your sun hat unique and personal.

Last edited:
There are hats that don't have brims in the back, but fabric that goes down (think old Arabian desert movies) to cover your neck. Here is an example, just for illustration; I don't know this brand. https://www.mission.com/products/mi...AqyW6QcWiZ5uhlVrgFYFBxB7-e40qJUQaAu6PEALw_wcB

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I find that if I lengthen the shoulder straps on my pack , but still keep the weight on my hips , i can lower the pack enough to see over my shoulder and wear a full brimed hat. In warm weather I like the Safari style hat with a mesh crown. It keeps my head cooler

I like to repurpose items that I already have in my pack to solve the problem. Take a lightweight undershirt, or similar item, and place it on your head draped over your neck. Then put a baseball cap on top and you have a poor man’s legionnaire cap. Et Voilà !

As I mentioned earlier, as an ocean lifeguard we didn't worry about a dark tan. Now, the search for clothing, hats and SPF lotions is hot. One area that, I believe, is misunderstood is the SPF ratings and associated costs. When used correctly, sunscreen with SPF values between 30 and 50 % offers adequate sunburn protection, even for people most sensitive to sunburn. The percentage difference at the higher levels is more about peace of mind than increased protection.
SPF 15 blocks 93%
SPF 30 blocks 97%
SPF 50 blocks 98%
SPF 100 blocks 99%

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You know, I bought one but it just seemed so cumbersome that I didn't take it. I know it's a great idea!
I wore a legionnaire style hat for my first 3 caminos and then took a euroschirm umbrella last year for the VdlP. It was great. Provided shade and kept my head cooler than a hat. Was also good the one day it rained.

You know, I bought one but it just seemed so cumbersome that I didn't take it. I know it's a great idea!
I did much the same, and left it at home until last year when did I bring a trekking umbrella. It can be cumbersome, at least initially, but it was well worth doing. It allowed me to carry my Tilley on sunny days, and provided reasonable protection on rainy days. It wasn't so great when it got windy, and I still wore rain pants when it looked like the wind was going to start blowing the rain into my legs at an angle. Great on sunny days and during light showers, less so in windy conditions.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
On a training walk, I tried out a new brimmed hat and started getting a stiff neck. I realized that I was straining forward because my hat was bumping into my pack. It was very subtle but over a long walk, it hurt. So I know what you’re talking about! I ended up just grabbing a hat with a slightly shorter brim and flipping it up at the back. I also wore a bandanna around my neck which I highly recommend. I soaked it at every fountain and it really helped with the heat. An added bonus: my hat was bright green and my walking partner said she could always find me :)

Another vote for Sunday Afternoons hats! I got the Ultra Adventure hat, which has a folding brim and also comes in purple. :3

My daughter makes fun of me because I like my pack to ride low on my hips, instead of my waist. So the top of the pack isn’t anywhere near my hat!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tilley hat and never had it touch my pack, though I tend to wear the latter so low on my back that my wife refers to it as a soggy diaper....😱
One is limited in lowering the pack while keeping the hipbelt in the proper place. Torso length makes a difference. Also I'm trying out the ultralight Osprey Eja 38 pack which isn't as adjustable as the others.

I met with Mike, who designed the Osprey backpacks. He measured my torso and found that this pack, Women's Med. is too big for me. And this pack, from a few years ago, is not adjustable. The newer ones are. When I got the pack at the appropriate size, it didn't hit my head!

Top Tip - lose the sombrero and buy a Tilley! 🤣
Seriously though, Tilley are v good and come with lifetime guarantee; they even offer a 50% discount if you need to replace a lost hat ( at least, they did when I bought mine).👍
I'd be cautious about altering backpack length as someone suggested, as this feature is meant for making sure that the fit is perfect for he length of your torso for comfort reasons . . .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Top Tip - lose the sombrero and buy a Tilley! 🤣
Seriously though, Tilley are v good and come with lifetime guarantee; they even offer a 50% discount if you need to replace a lost hat ( at least, they did when I bought mine).👍
I'd be cautious about altering backpack length as someone suggested, as this feature is meant for making sure that the fit is perfect for he length of your torso for comfort reasons . . .
Which turned out to be the issue... My backpack, a Women's Medium, was too big. It was an ultralite internal frame pack with no ability to adjust. I hadn't ever used it - it was brand new - but it was given to me. So I sold it and got a Women's Small. Because of the shorter torso length, I have room to spare above the top of the pack. I didn't think of myself as a Small Woman, but there ya go.
ps - is everybody here on the payroll at Tilley Hats, getting a commission? Which Tilley Hat is the one everybody here is raving about?

Which turned out to be the issue... My backpack, a Women's Medium, was too big. It was an ultralite internal frame pack with no ability to adjust. I hadn't ever used it - it was brand new - but it was given to me. So I sold it and got a Women's Small. Because of the shorter torso length, I have room to spare above the top of the pack. I didn't think of myself as a Small Woman, but there ya go.
ps - is everybody here on the payroll at Tilley Hats, getting a commission? Which Tilley Hat is the one everybody here is raving about?
I use the 'airflow', its the most most breathable. . . no commission unfortunately . . . 😉👍

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.