• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you wear a hat with a backpack?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
Having just been treated for skin cancer (squamous cell carcinoma), and as I really hate sunscreen, I am back to researching sun hats. I usually wear a baseball hat when hiking/walking the Camino. I tried a full brimmed hat, but the back hits against my backpack. I see other people with them though, and I think it's a good idea. How do you keep the backpack from interfering with the hat?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You might need to get a new back pack to suit your hat! My pack does not sit very high, so it is not too bad. However, when I'm walking, I often turn up the back of the hat (which means a little less shade but still more than a baseball hat) and I wear a collared shirt that covers more of the back of the neck than a crew neck shirt does.

Having just been treated for skin cancer (squamous cell carcinoma), and as I really hate sunscreen, I am back to researching sun hats. I usually wear a baseball hat when hiking/walking the Camino. I tried a full brimmed hat, but the back hits against my backpack. I see other people with them though, and I think it's a good idea. How do you keep the backpack from interfering with the hat?

How tall is your pack ? :oops:

I wear a floppy wide brimmed hat, with a neck flap.
Has never been a problem.

20150518_083913.jpg

20150510_112347_Calle Mayor.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always wear a hat/cap when outdoors and I carry two on the Camino. On cloudy days on the Camino it's a baseball cap and sunscreen. Sunny clear days it's a floppy, wide brimmed hat and sunscreen.

Being of Anglo-Celtic origin I need to protect as much of my face, ears and back of neck as possible. Therefore I have to wear a broad brimmed hat. Additionally I use a factor 50+ sun protecting cream.
I have a "chin strap" that actually goes across the back of my neck to hold the hat on. Been doing this for 6 or 8 years,. No problems (so far).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wear a visor with a very wide brim, as my hat hits my backpack too. Its really old, frayed, used to be orange, now barely cream, but I keep saying " one more Camino" I haven't seen one like it again.
I ought to try out the umbrella on the pack strap solution.

Tilley hat and never had it touch my pack, though I tend to wear the latter so low on my back that my wife refers to it as a soggy diaper....😱

Check if you have adjustable length on your backpack, my one is adjustable depending upon the height of the wearer. Whilst "my one doesn't touch" won't be very helpful perhaps try your baseball cap with some black silk, or similar, held underneath to protect your neck and ears. Looks like a "French Foreign Legion Hat". See this on Ebay:-

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Those "legionares hats" come in different varieties, might be for you. I met a young irish fellow with (maybe) a skin condition that was covered up completely. Could have been mistaken for a Beduin ;)

The umbrella is also a very good idea. Thats one of the few things i wish i had when walking the meseta. Partly because of the sun, partly beacause of the heat. Euroschirm makes rather lite ones and does offer a system to mount it to your shoulder strap. Gossamer Gear has a rebranded model and a slightly different and lighter mounting system. Depending where you are, have a look at those two.

If you like a baseball cap ... maybe something like the Columbia - Schooner Bank Cachalot III.
CU9108_160_f

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Being of Anglo-Celtic origin I need to protect as much of my face, ears and back of neck as possible. Therefore I have to wear a broad brimmed hat. Additionally I use a factor 50+ sun protecting cream.
I have a "chin strap" that actually goes across the back of my neck to hold the hat on. Been doing this for 6 or 8 years,. No problems (so far).
As I hate sun glasses I simply tilt my hat forward! never had any problems with the back of the hat until ordering first vino tinto of the day and had to untilt the hat :) I too use cream on ears, back of neck etc and on feet if wearing sandals.

Buen camino

Samarkand.

I bring two hats, a baseball cap and a boonie hat,
I saw one woman on the camino who had taken scissors to the back of her broadbrimmed hat to keep it from catching on her pack. The other issue for me is my ponytail, which I like to wear off my neck. So I cut a hole in the back of my hat for that.
Hey Jill, Sorry to hear of your bout with skin cancer. 😟! Hope you are on the mend! When I wear my baseball cap...wiith rain gear,(off season) I put my hair in a ponytail. When I use my boonie hat, with flap, during sunny Sept., I do pig tails...(no need to cut the hat) Does not interfere with my back.

I am very fair skinned. In hot weather, I wear ultra lite long sleeves shirts, silk gloves, polyester crinkle pants, boonie hat and flap which I frequently wet in hot weather. The flap keeps out the bees, mosquitos and flys. I wear sunglasses or protective clear glasses with progessive/transition lenses. In warmer weather, if cheeks or nose begin to show redness I will use a sun screen as needed for added protection. Usually, we leave early morning...not too much afternoon heat walking.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Cut off the back part that buys the backpack 🚶🏼‍♀️

Cut off the back part that buys the backpack 🚶🏼‍♀️
I had a beautiful Akubra for many years and left it on the wretched bus flying back from Santiago! I would consider it galloping heresy to cut a piece out of it! :) Mind you, on windy days, I had to hurl the poles like javelins to pin it to the ground when it decided to do a runner. :)

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have the skin cancer issue as well so am ultra careful. I walk in the cooler months for a start. That way my sunscreen doesn’t sweat off and I can wear long sleeves. My hat is a floppy wide-brimmed “field hat” that bends really easily so the brim doesn’t seem to have an issue with the pack. It’s plenty stiff to shade my face. I don’t like the hats with the material draping down the sides snd back because I lose any breeze I might want and can’t hear as well. But that’s a personal preference. Hope that helps!!

I also wear a Tilley's hat (pictured in my Forum avatar) and haven't had a problem with it hitting the top of either backpack I've used on Camino. Maybe they don't sit as high as yours. Looking again at the photos of my son and I from our 2016 Camino, neither of our backpacks rise much (if at all) above our shoulders.

I don’t know where you live but o use this hat from Outdoor Research
I will be walking with a good friend later this winter (hopefully). He too has had multiple skin cancers and will wear this hat.
Good luck

Hmmm. Something I haven't thought about. For some years, I have owned a wide brimmed sun hat from Sunday Afternoons because I live in the desert SW in the US, which at one point had the world's highest rate of skin cancer, supplanted by Australia--not sure who has top numbers now. Even though it has a long 'tail' that reminds me of the French Foreign Legion, I have not noticed it interfering with my pack. If anything the chin strap chokes me if I fling the hat to the back. I will pay attention next time I suit up.

Hi @JillGat, i wear a hat that is like this one https://www.macpac.co.nz/macpac-encompass-hat/115428.html - the back part of the wide brim is lighter fabric so just sits over the back of my neck /upper back area. It doesn't in any way interfere with my back pack.... Not the most fashionable but worth it for the protection - plus i can relax that I'm not getting burnt on some spot that i missed with the factor 50! Best wishes.

I am planning on an umbrella for next time during the strong sunlight hours-- and also planning on siestas! There are umbrella holding attachments for backpacks that I am going to try out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use a soft hat and have no problems carrying it even though I have a 65 liter backpack.
If that doesn’t suit you, a good suggestion is a legionnaire’s hat.

šešir.jpg

I am a veteran of too many facial skin cancers, and if I'm using a Camino-sized pack just wear a cap + very high SPF sunblock - like you, I have not found a soft brimmed hat that doesn't drive me crazy hitting my pack. I have a small daypack that sits lower, so I can wear one of my full-brimmed hats with it. I'd get way too hot with the cloth-down-over-the neck hats pictured earlier in this thread, and the issue is my face, not my neck, so a cap has worked for me (as well as anything could after way too many years of not being protected at all in tropical zones and high altitudes when I was younger - can't undo the damage.)

I found a hat that works well with a backpack. It is like a baseball hat but it has a flap around the back of it that hangs down and covers your ears and neck. It looks like the flap off of a French Foreign Legion hat or a Japanese army hat from WWII. The bill is wide and long in the front so you get lots of sun protection. An adjustable strap alloows you to pull it on tight when you are up at Alto de Perdon or you can let it hang down around your neck when you are having a tall cool glass of beer at an albergue. REI or Columbia makes the hats.

I've gone through 3 Tilleys over 11 Caminos and have never had this pack problem. However, the hats are soft and will adjust to the situation if needed.

A farming cousin from up the Valley shares with me anglo-Celtic genes (we figure that our aboriginal ancestry is responsible for 1/256th of our makeup and has provided us with insufficient melanin) has had several bouts from skin cancer and regularly addresses 4H and young farmers' groups about preventative measures--- prime among these is to forget baseball caps, as they do not protect one's ears (here he shows the little chunks taken out by surgeons) or the back of one's neck.

The broadbrimmed Tilley or Akubra hats provide this coverage, as will the other hats with legionnaire backflaps as shown in other postings.

I found that relatively few Europeans used sunblock and gave me puzzled if charitable glances as I whipped out the old SPF 30 for general coverage and technicolour zinc block for my nose. However, one of the joys of pilgrimage is that function precedes fashion and, indeed, should form it.

I never have a problem with my Tilley hat. I bought a model which has wider front and back brims than the side brims, and a neck cord to keep it in place.
Tilleys no matter how they are configured have floppy wide brims that bend easily. They are expensive but are guaranteed even against loss. Some of the survival stories in Tilley lore are astounding. They also make a variety of shirts, shorts, pants, underwear socks and vests. I am a Tilley fanatic and use Tilley whenever I have access to the products.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have worn an adventure hat on all my caminos. It is lightweight and cool and is not a problem with my backpack. I also wear it under my rain jacket hood to keep rain from my face so it works well for me.

Nothing special, just a cheap hat made from paper but it has been with me for two caminos and half of the South West Coast Path - it is my "Walking Hat". If it rains, or in strong winds, it is very secure under the hood of my rain jacket.
View attachment 94819
I also always carry a Buff, this sometimes gets used instead on a hot day, or covers the back of my neck.
My bag has a clip to attach the hat when not on my head.

The hat wasn't initially added to protect against the sun, but to give me a bit of recognisable identity as "the bloke in the hat".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have you tried a combination of baseball hat and sun shirt with a hood? It's what I do when a hat is not practical. The hood is deep and covers the side of your face well.

Something like this!

Good luck

this way of securing the neckstrap behind is also used by some
American highway patrols and it is secure also in blustering wind,
The normal way interferes with my beard...
Only sometimes if your load is too high on the backpack, it interferes w the brim of the hat.
My Stetson is now too hot in good weather, be sure to buy light & crushable hats ( most are..)

If you like a baseball cap ... maybe something like the Columbia - Schooner Bank Cachalot III.
CU9108_160_f
Just saw your post. I use a similar hat from Outdoor Research. From the looks of this Columbia hat I think that there are a few differences that may or may not matter to a buyer. The Columbia hat looks like it has a little heavier fabric than the OR hat. If it is I have no idea if it is sturdier or not. The OR hat stands up well and is easy to wash. The Columbia is $10US less. There is venting on the OR hat. Good for me if it is hot and bad if it is raining haha. The two things I like most about the OR hat is that the drawstring is in the front and you can tighten the neck and face flap to keep the sun off of you better on windy days and can just about completely cover your face if you want. Secondly there is a velcro strip to loosen or tighten the hat. I see there is a cord on the Columbia hat which I guess serves the same purpose. Finally if you are walking, and I have walked days without sun you can take the flap off of the OR and stick it in your purse. It may seem like I am prejudiced towards my hat ;). Well yes, but I am also speaking through my wazoo as I have never tried the Columbia hat on and I may love it if I did!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just saw your post. I use a similar hat from Outdoor Research.
I have a PFG version that is very lightweight, but I did not see it when I googled the other day. I do like the design of the OR hat. I just use a baseball cap, and bandana on the Camino. And, I always have at least 1 buff with me.

I was told by my optician there is a connection between macular degeneration and bright light.

sunglasses are a good thing

That works for sure. I used a buff for the first time on my CF in November/December 2019. It is now an essential part of my gear. I will never walk another Camino without one! I would think the buff would negate the need for a bandana. But maybe the bandana is better in hotter weather than a buff, to wipe your face and soak it in cold water.

I have worn an adventure hat on all my caminos. It is lightweight and cool and is not a problem with my backpack. I also wear it under my rain jacket hood to keep rain from my face so it works well for me.
That looks like a fantastic hat, and since the back of the hat isn't stiff it shouldn't interfere with a backpack.
Nothing special, just a cheap hat made from paper but it has been with me for two caminos and half of the South West Coast Path - it is my "Walking Hat". If it rains, or in strong winds, it is very secure under the hood of my rain jacket.
View attachment 94819
I can't see your attachment - I get an error message.

That looks like a fantastic hat, and since the back of the hat isn't stiff it shouldn't interfere with a backpack.

I can't see your attachment - I get an error message.
Sunday Afternoon Adventure Hat is the winner. Best hat for backpacking I've ever found. Lightweight. Folding brim (so easily stowed). Excellent sun coverage.DSC04714 Nery Facing the Picos de Europa.jpg

Sunday Afternoon Adventure Hat is the winner. Best hat for backpacking I've ever found. Lightweight. Folding brim (so easily stowed). Excellent sun coverage.View attachment 94837
And even better for me, Sunday Afternoons is a company based in my area, so if I buy one of their hats I am supporting a local business. 😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Other people have already pointed to using a lower pack.

This brings us round to the often discussed best pack size for a Camino. I have noticed may people on various Caminos using "Expedition" style packs which are 70plus litres! Overkill to say the least. I use a 45 litre pack which is adequate and has spare capacity for food stuffs for evening meals/Breakfasts/lunches.

I use a wide brimmed Austrian Tirol Felt hat which provides plenty of shade and has the advantage of being able to be immersed in water to provide evaporative cooling.

In Spain I have seen soft cotton hats with a peak and a roll down neck/shoulder guard which would work with your present pack. Just think something similar to The Foreign Legion Kepi.

My hat has a fold away neck flap at the back, like a legionnaire hat, which I can tuck behind my backpack. It's a buzz guard wide brim from Katmandu

Wow lots of good reply’s but I wore a big hat for the entire 600m to the ocean. No sunscreen & I hade to have a melanoma removed from my ear. I suggest using sun cream. I really dislike slathering it on as well but I will use both next time. Leave somthing else at home like a sleeping bag if going in the summer. 😎

With mention of skin cancer above, I am wondering when some of you wear your hats. I walk in the fall, generally in October and November, with a few days on some walks in late September. And I never take my Tilley hat off when I am walking. It is a regular sturdy Tilley, with a few ventilation holes. I never attach the snap fasteners at the sides, which would allow for more sun on my face. I carry sunscreen, but seldom use it, as the only place where the sun sometimes reaches is the backs of my hands, often tucked up behind the shoulder straps of my pack, to take a little weight off my shoulders. Anything that causes a walker to take a hat off when walking in the sun, like a pack that interferes with the hat (I prefer to see it that way) can make excessive exposure to sun more possible. Perhaps it is time to consider using a different pack.

This is the hat I wore and it didn't interfere with my backpack. I am follicle challenged...bald and it worked great.

1615079416858.png

Just looking at your profile pic (if that's the pack you're still using) I can see what looks like 3-4 inches of pack above the top of your shoulder straps. Have you tried slackening your load lifters right off and adjusting the length of the shoulder straps and/or chest strap? It may take a few adjustments but with my Osprey packs (but sure it would work with any packs that have load lifters) I can play with the length of each of the 3 straps to raise or lower my pack as well as have tight to my back or somewhat away. Maybe a combination of somewhat away from the back and slightly lower would be enough to accommodate the back part of the brim? Also, if you consider a new pack many packs come with detachable hood pouches (that can lower your overall pack height) or adjustable harness lengths.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with the Sundayafternoons.com selection!
I’ve worn them for some time after discovering them at the Grand Canyon National Park; both baseball style and wide brim. Look for the SPF 50 ones. I get skin cancer as well. So, I still use sun cream especially on my ears.
Great selection of sun hats.

With mention of skin cancer above, I am wondering when some of you wear your hats. I walk in the fall, generally in October and November, with a few days on some walks in late September. And I never take my Tilley hat off when I am walking.

Always. We are taught in Australia that even on overcast and cloudy days that we'll burn.

I think years ago on TV in Australia, we had adverts, or maybe it was on the weather forecasts,

That today you will burn in x minutes.

And the 'x' is often as little as 15-20 minutes!

Other people have already pointed to using a lower pack.

This brings us round to the often discussed best pack size for a Camino. I have noticed may people on various Caminos using "Expedition" style packs which are 70plus litres! Overkill to say the least. I use a 45 litre pack which is adequate and has spare capacity for food stuffs for evening meals/Breakfasts/lunches.

I use a wide brimmed Austrian Tirol Felt hat which provides plenty of shade and has the advantage of being able to be immersed in water to provide evaporative cooling.

In Spain I have seen soft cotton hats with a peak and a roll down neck/shoulder guard which would work with your present pack. Just think something similar to The Foreign Legion Kepi.

Can we talk about pack sizes again? Please, please :)

I have to say I love my 34L Osprey. No need for anything bigger.
I think the only reason I would go larger is for a Winter camino.

It's small, and low.

My first backpack was only 36 liters, but it was very tall, and when I wore a hat it hit the backpack. I ended up not wearing the hat much, because I had a handsfree Euroschirm umbrella, which kept me nice and shaded.
Always. We are taught in Australia that even on overcast and cloudy days that we'll burn.

When I was younger I lived near the beach in Southern California. I saw plenty of people get sunburned on those gray days when "the sun wasn't even out."

I took a hat with a sloppy brim to the camino, ending in using my buff as a hat on the Meseta.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've a similar health history. I have bitten the bullet and use sun screen which I hate, but..... So your pack must be quite tall. You can buy a hat with a cape that drops over your ears and neck. An Aussie invention, at Dorfman Pacific or Amazon. Or rtake an kercheif and wear it under your ball cap and accomplish the same thing. Later method also lends to wetting the kercheif during hot weather.

How tall is your back pack? A Camino sized back pack sitting properly on your hips should not interfere with the back of your hat.

How do you wear your hat? If you wear your hat tilted back on your head this could be the cause. In addition it will deny you the maximum protection on your face. If you can wear the hat so as to give good protection on your face and temples it won’t snag on your pack and will probably give you good protection on the back of your neck also. I use a drovers type hat and it works well.

Looking at your pic, I think you will be able to use any broad brimmed hat. Not as much room as JoJo, but enough. A lot of good suggestions for broad- brimmed and caps with neck protection In the previous posts

You can also have a light string attached to one of the corners at the top of your pack that ends on the neck string of your hat. It won’t blow away in the wind. You wouldn’t want that after buying a fancy hat.....

6C9F8532-5D1F-497B-B3ED-F77A7EB7ACC8.jpeg

BC426280-E8FB-44E6-B356-4FFE994B58C2.jpeg
BC426280-E8FB-44E6-B356-4FFE994B58C2.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I never have a problem with my Tilley hat. I bought a model which has wider front and back brims than the side brims, and a neck cord to keep it in place.
Yes yes yes. I should have included the brand name for my hat. I love my Tilley.

Excuse the interruption. Everyone focuses on the main topic, the hat. Granted a wide brim hat is an answer, but, I did not see anyone mention the pack. Now, this is always what I do, look at problems from as many angles as I can find.

For me, a 10 lb or 4 kg load is my max. That means the pack is no more than 35 Litre. With a good pack of that size, it does not go above the shoulders, normally, leaving plenty of room for a wide hat brim.

For me, a 10 lb or 4 kg load is my max. That means the pack is no more than 35 Litre. With a good pack of that size, it does not go above the shoulders, normally, leaving plenty of room for a wide hat brim.
That's not always true. My lightweight Marmot Graviton 36 liter pack was very long, but narrow, and it did go up above my shoulders - no adjustment of the load lifters could change that. It all depends on the design of the backpack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lower your back pack ob your shoulders .as long as you carry the weight on your hips you are fine .i wear a broad brimed hat with a mesh crown.

Can we talk about pack sizes again? Please, please :)

I have to say I love my 34L Osprey. No need for anything bigger.
I think the only reason I would go larger is for a Winter camino.

It's small, and low.

Mine is also a 34L Osprey. I will take a look at some of these hats, but I'm realizing how hard it is for me to change. The ones that are longer in the back look like they'd be too hot, especially with my ponytail. I know others wear long sleeve shirts to avoid the sun too, and I would rather not walk the camino than wear anything longer than a short sleeve tee shirt!

Mine is also a 34L Osprey. I will take a look at some of these hats, but I'm realizing how hard it is for me to change. The ones that are longer in the back look like they'd be too hot, especially with my ponytail. I know others wear long sleeve shirts to avoid the sun too, and I would rather not walk the camino than wear anything longer than a short sleeve tee shirt!
Depending on time of year and weather you can really get burned .i have avoided walking july& august ,except once ,so hot and dry i had no energy after 2 pm. hense the siesta . You can roll up a light woven shirt sleeves early and late in the day.it really goes back to your skin tone.some do fine and some turn red as a beet .

€60,-
That's not always true. My lightweight Marmot Graviton 36 liter pack was very long, but narrow, and it did go up above my shoulders - no adjustment of the load lifters could change that. It all depends on the design of the backpack.
Sorry, I do not comment all the time here, but, when I see something that perhaps I can offer based on, "my experience," I do my best to do so.

I did say 35 Litre. You have stated 36 Litre which is outside the parameters. And, the devil will always be in the details.

Personally, I have one, "Canadian Army," wide brim cloth hat that I have always used on all hikes. My pack never interferes with wearing it. And, I am 5' 6" so if anything is going to challenge someone based on pack length, I am a candidate.

My first backpack was only 36 liters, but it was very tall, and when I wore a hat it hit the backpack. I ended up not wearing the hat much, because I had a handsfree Euroschirm umbrella, which kept me nice and shaded.

When I was younger I lived near the beach in Southern California. I saw plenty of people get sunburned on those gray days when "the sun wasn't even out."

I really like the idea of the umbrella. I wish they were smaller and simpler...it seems like it would get in the way, be awkward in the wind, etc. I guess you get used to rigging it on your backpack? I'm not sure what answers I'd get to my question that I'd be open to, because I'm kind of a closed-minded, contrary jerk, I'm realizing. For example, no matter how practical this hat (that somebody else recommended) could be, I just couldn't...

Attachments

• stupid hat.PNG
    stupid hat.PNG
    427.3 KB · Views: 21

€149,-

Ah we all have our preferences don't we ? :)
If I wore short sleeves I'd just burn.

I cover up head to toe. Long sleeves, hat, even gloves!
Using poles, my hands get sun burned in warmer weather.

I really like the idea of the umbrella. I wish they were smaller and simpler...it seems like it would get in the way, be awkward in the wind, etc. I guess you get used to rigging it on your backpack? I'm not sure what answers I'd get to my question that I'd be open to, because I'm kind of a closed-minded, contrary jerk, I'm realizing. For example, no matter how practical this hat (that somebody else recommended) could be, I just couldn't...

:) :)

Umbrellas are great!
But if they were small, that would defeat the purpose.

They can catch the wind.
Mine has blown inside out a couple of times.

I now know to just turn around 'head to wind' and it pops right back again :)

One of the issues you seem to have with hats, is your Pony Tail.

Maybe get rid of it :eek:

Not literally, but tie it up maybe?

Though my wife Pat has lovely long hair, but didn't want to deal with it on Camino.
So she cut it shorter for Camino...........
Just a thought.

I have been wearing a wider brimmed hat while hiking with a daypack, and I cut a hole in the back of it so my ponytail sticks out.
Re. burning in the sun.. this is something I never understood. The general wisdom about avoiding sun damage says that even tanning is not good for you. But the further warning is that burning is the worst for you. I have a long history of bad sunburns when I was a child (our parents thought it was "good" for us, to toughen up our skin for the rest of the summer. So there's nothing I can do about my increased risk because of that history.) On the Camino, I build up a tan on my arms and legs and don't have to worry so much about burning. But if I tried to always protect my skin from the sun with clothing and/or sunscreen and so didn't get the tan, that one time I forget or am out too long, I am much more likely to get a nasty burn, which is way worse. Right?

It's funny that even though I avoid wearing long pants and long sleeve shirts whenever possible, I DO wear light gloves while on the camino, because otherwise my hands get sweaty with my Pacer Poles. And I don't mind the gloves at all. Here's a picture of me in my shorts and gloves.

Attachments

• mickey mouse.jpg
    mickey mouse.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

€83,-
No, tanning is not the same thing as getting sunburned.

Yes I get that, after reading the article. ;)

But I guess the point highlighted in the article, which I was more interested, is that tanning in itself is damaging.

Yes I get that, after reading the article. ;)

But I guess the point highlighted in the article, which I was more interested, is that tanning in itself is damaging.
I didn't read that article.. I will go back and do that. I know that's the "common wisdom" though. But - given the choice - I'd rather tan than forget to protect myself once and get a bad sunburn.

I didn't read that article.. I will go back and do that. I know that's the "common wisdom" though. But - given the choice - I'd rather tan than forget to protect myself once and get a bad sunburn.

Don't shoot the messenger. ;)

I think you should stick with what you are doing :)

For years I have used a Tilley hat and as you can see from the photograph, the natural wide brim takes up a curved shape back to front and does not interfere at all with the rucksack. The hat is a TH4 Tilley hemp hat, which has the extra large brim. Think they have stopped making this model now and the one on sale is the TH5 hemp, which has a slightly smaller brim.
The only down side to this hat is the front of the brim tends to blow upwards if there is a bit of a breeze.
I have just purchased a Tarp hat which has a wire round the brim to make it much stiffer, now need to test it works with the rucksack!

Attachments

• d8ac5c90-0a17-46b3-b7e6-b0a1b5a23227.jpg
    d8ac5c90-0a17-46b3-b7e6-b0a1b5a23227.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 27
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wear a Crocodile Dundee-style Barmah hat from Australia made of kangaroo leather. It is a lot lighter than cow leather and keeps its shape, but isn't so stiff that it catches on things - it has plenty of give and springs back into shape. Also, it's rainproof as well as sunproof, unlike a canvas equivalent. I paid £60 a few years ago. Probably best to buy where you can try one on for the best fit.

1019BR_700x.jpg

No, tanning is not the same thing as getting sunburned.
I just came back from the Doctor's office. I have a back full of squamous cell points (status presently unknown and being referred to an epidemiologist), produced from attempting to tan in earlier years. As a redhead, I was always very careful. Now, I wonder if I will make it to my next Camino.

You can never be too careful.

Rereading your original question, and giving in to my overdeveloped sense of humor...”Ive never seen a hat wearing a backpack!”
Now to my underdeveloped sense or propriety.
I was an ocean lifeguard (as were my children) we all had well developed tans.
In my later year's, I've had minor operations to remove problematic skin basal-cell outbreaks.
Here's two areas I had to get over: 1. using sunscreen. You may not want to use it, but consider the alternative if you don't. 2. Wearing a proper hat. Again, make up your mind which is most important?
I hope you choose something you can live with.

People have talked about a "lower pack" -- but it may be that you might need a larger volume one that you didn't pack so tightly, so that it naturally hung lower.

I'd actually suggest getting the hat you need first ; then sorting your pack and your packing technique to the hat, rather than vice-versa.

Of course, having a shorter body frame rather than a longer would complicate matters to a degree ...

Of course, having a shorter body frame rather than a longer would complicate matters to a degree .
Or having a shorter neck rather than a long one.
How about this type of hat? The back tapers in and stays out of the way of your pack. I have flipped up the back of a flimsy sunhat and tacked it out of the way, which has worked for me, although I usually wear a cap for runners.
Screenshot_20210310-085100~2.png

I'd actually suggest getting the hat you need first ; then sorting your pack and your packing technique to the hat, rather than vice-versa.
I like to wear short sock with long pants, and long socks with short pants ... OR is it the other way around? IDK, but I do wear socks, and pants ... most of the time. 🤣 😂

€60,-
Decades ago we would sit on a beach and slap on coconut oil to tan a nice colour! :eek:

I'm not sure what the thinking is these days on 'tanning'.

Isn't tanning just the skin getting burned?
Have you had advice on that?

Interesting article here:

My older IRish friends tell me of how they applied cooking oil when going to the beach. As their dermatologists do their work, they find that cooking mail well have been apt for the purpose.

As my mother's note-taker for the past 20 years of dermatologist and plastic surgeon meetings, I urge everybody to take precautions against exposure to the sun. Function over fashion! And, as a Luo tribesman once said to me 40 years ago, Walk in the shade when you can.

I think years ago on TV in Australia, we had adverts, or maybe it was on the weather forecasts,

That today you will burn in x minutes.

And the 'x' is often as little as 15-20 minutes!
I spent a few weeks in Perth once and I never burned so fast in my life!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My older IRish friends tell me of how they applied cooking oil when going to the beach. As their dermatologists do their work, they find that cooking mail well have been apt for the purpose.

As my mother's note-taker for the past 20 years of dermatologist and plastic surgeon meetings, I urge everybody to take precautions against exposure to the sun. Function over fashion! And, as a Luo tribesman once said to me 40 years ago, Walk in the shade when you can.
As an ocean/large lake lifeguard...our tan and zinced nose were badges of honor. To get a really dark tan we mixed iodine and baby oil. Now that was a tan! Today, I realize that youthful hubris isn't always the best policy.

I had the same type of hat too. It really was comfortable and helped with sun protection.

I had to chuckle at the title of your post. I can SO relate, as I am researching every UPF clothing brand known to man (or woman)! As a blue eyed, fair skinned blonde who grew up in the pre-sunscreen era, I cringe at the memory of the baby oiled slathering days of my youth. I am a walking skin cancer time bomb. After battles with melanoma and basal cell, I take the danger of the sun rays very seriously. Walking for a month on the Camino will be a serious undertaking to shield myself from the effects of the sun. Thank you for this great question. The responses are awesome!

Last edited:
This looks perfect!

I had to chuckle at the title of your post. I can SO relate, as I am researching every SPF clothing brand known to man (or woman)! As a blue eyed, fair skinned blonde who grew up in the pre-sunscreen era, I cringe at the memory of the baby oiled slathering days of my youth. I am a walking skin cancer time bomb. After battles with melanoma and basal cell, I take the danger of the sun rays very seriously. Walking for a month on the Camino will be a serious undertaking to shield myself from the effects of the sun. Thank you for this great question. The responses are awesome!
As I mentioned earlier, as an ocean lifeguard we didn't worry about a dark tan. Now, the search for clothing, hats and SPF lotions is hot. One area that, I believe, is misunderstood is the SPF ratings and associated costs. When used correctly, sunscreen with SPF values between 30 and 50 % offers adequate sunburn protection, even for people most sensitive to sunburn. The percentage difference at the higher levels is more about peace of mind than increased protection.

On my best holiday on a Greek island 40 years ago, budget was tight, so we all stuck to Johnsons Baby Oil....
We tanned nicely, but by Gawd we smelled like Bounty Bars in the hot sun.....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is a podcast in the BBC ‘’The best thing since ..’ series on the topic of sunscreen. Nobody, but nobody really understands what sunscreen does or which number on the bottle really matters unless they’ve listened to it. In my opinion.

Honestly, it’s fascinating.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.