• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How does it work in SdC?

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
I'll arrive around 10 I think.
So what do I do. I understand that I'm not allowed in the cathedral with my backpack but the albergues are not open until after mass according to my guide.

Will there be time to go to pilgrim's office before the 12 mass?

I guess checking into a hostel, pension, hotel at that time also is a little bit hard. Was thinking of staying at albergue now and pension when I get back from Muxía.

Is there a place to store my Compostela when walking to Finisterre and Muxía?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Will there be time to go to pilgrim's office before the 12 mass?
-- Probably not. But the pilgrims office is open until 21.00, there is time in the afternoon.

I guess checking into a hostel, pension, hotel at that time also is a little bit hard. Was thinking of staying at albergue now and pension when I get back from Muxía.
-- Pension/hotel might be possible since they are probably not fully booked tonight... and might have a room that was not used today.

Is there a place to store my Compostela when walking to Finisterre and Muxía?
-- The pilgrims office has a left luggage place next to the pilgrims office (but it is more for bags I think). You can always stop by my office:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/
I am at the office from 10.00 to 14.00 tomorrow. I can store it for you if you want. :)

Lykke til i morgen!
Ivar

You only got 9 km to Sdc so there will be time to get the compostela, check in your pack at the office if you leave Vilamaior early (at sevenish- eightish). When I arrived there was no line at all in front of the office.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The packs were allowed inside the cathedral a few days ago. The security points where you can put it during the mass.

You can buy a tube at the pilgs office for 1 euro for your Compostela and carry it with you.

Last edited:
Is that right? No backpacks in the Cathedral? I've worn mine both times I've been there - and had to comment made. Surely they realise the Cathedral - and the town - rely on pilgrims for their ssurvival, and pilgrims wear back-packs!

Anyone know the definitive answer to this?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
All bags including rucksacks were banned from the cathedral in the last Holy Year in 2010. This is where this is coming from. Currently there is no ban on rucksacks in the cathedral.

However it is strongly rumoured that there will be a Papal visit next year and it may well be there will be a ban in place in the New Year.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello beatrice,

If you come into santiago at 10:00 am, go to the pilgrim office to get your compostela. There usually is a short queue at this time. This is the best time to get your compostela. there is usually a very long queue after the 12:00 mass. The pilgrim office is opened from 09:00 hour to 21:00 hour everyday. Also the pilgrim office is not busy normally in the late afternoon.

As of right this moment, you are allowed to bring your backpack into the cathedral anytime. However the cathedral officials do recommend that you do not bring backpack or other big item bags into the cathedral. You will be asked to place your backpacks at the. sides of the cathedral and not in the pillars next to the pews. However this is not always strictly enforced.

Try to go to the noon pilgrim mass a little bit early, like 11:40 am when they will announce groups or individual pilgrims nationalities. Taking photos is not allowed but it is not always enforced especially during the botafuimero ceremony.

You can buy a tube from the pilgrim office to store your compostela for €1.

You will not have time to check into an albergue or pension before the pilgrim mass. Take your time to seek out an albergue or pension of which there are plenty.

Buen camino and god bless.

I left my backpack at the service next to the pilgrim office. Got my compostela and a tube. Found an albergue in the afternoon and will now continue my strolling around the town. Love the atmosphere and all the happy people.

Will leave StC around noon tomorrow for A short trip to the sea but first i will welcome a camino friend who arrives tomorrow. I was so blessed today as I was a little bit sad of knowing that all my friends were behind me but then a group if them made a decision after to many beers to walk the whole night (from Palas the Rei nonstop) so when I came to the cathedral they gave me a big hug. I was so lucky that they are crazy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back