• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How does Marmot compare to Patagonia?

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi everyone!
Is the Marmot Precip Jacket, better than Patagonia's Torrentshell 3l !!!

(I am at a loss i brought Hagalof's LIM multi sport jacket 20000 HYD,HEAD £128 it leaked on first time of wearing after about 35 minutes in the rain(got full refund) my daughter said it's a good company and one off event.
So brought there LIM jacket a higher performer at 28000 HYD,HEAD £220 this leaked from the elbow in 45 minutes in drizzle!
However customer service was outstanding refunded monies in full and told me to keep or dispose of the jacket.)

My point is i spent a total of nearly £350 on quality jackets that don't work.
So my question is; If any of you guys were to buy either of these which one would you prefer?
All the best
Woody

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone!

(I am at a loss i brought Hagalof's LIM multi sport jacket 20000 HYD,HEAD £128 it leaked on first time of wearing after about 35 minutes in the rain(got full refund) my daughter said it's a good company and one off event.
So brought there LIM jacket a higher performer at 28000 HYD,HEAD £220 this leaked from the elbow in 45 minutes in drizzle!
However customer service was outstanding refunded monies in full and told me to keep or dispose of the jacket.)

So my question is; If any of you guys were to buy either of these which one would you prefer?
All the best
Woody
very surprised about Hagalof. however, Berghaus has been my go to firm for many years. I use Paramo windshirts which I treat and they do a brilliant job for their main purpose of being a windshirt but also will take a sudden shower or drizzle.

good luck as I know the right jacket is a must!

Samarkand.

I presume you mean Haglöfs? I have a very good quality fleece from them.

Regarding Marmot Precip : I changed mine from this brand recently for a Vaude Rosemoor thtee in one jacket and I'm very pleased with it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sabine!
Thanks for your reply Sabine; yes i did mean Haglofs jacket.
I presume you meant "three" ha!ha!
What did you think of the Marmot Precip as a waterproof jacket did you like it?
All the best
Woody

Hi Sabine!
Thanks for your reply Sabine; yes i did mean Haglofs jacket.
I presume you meant "three" ha!ha!
What did you think of the Marmot Precip as a waterproof jacket did you like it?
All the best
Woody

Touché hahaha...;)

Waterproof yes but it gets really damp inside after a while, the lining is only so-and-so. And in combination with a strong wind I found the feeling of the jacket rather uncomfortable. Perfect for a summer Camino but not sturdy enough for a cold Octobermonth at the Belgian seaside.

Hi everyone!

All the best

Hi , it is good idea to take rain protection while walking coastal route ( 1st time 0 rainy days , 2nd 4 rainy days for me ) but still my opinion is that you dont need to invest in these brands unless you plan to use it for multiple hikes . IMHO 15 euro rain jacket from Decatlon will do just fine on Camino Portugese . Use the money for quality backpack , shoes ,socks ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The good news is that Patagonia honored their advertisement and we returned the Torrent Shells after a very wet poor experience with them on the Portugues Camino. We used the credit and bought Goretex2 jackets. The Goretex3 is too heavy and doesn't pack well. We have some Marmot gear but no jackets.

I own a Marmot Precip and have found it to be just ok. It works well for short downpours but soaks thru over time. I purchased for a trip to India during the monsoon season. Reviews claimed it ”breathed” well and was cooler to wear in warm climates. I found this to be true. However it seems good “breathability” results in poorer waterproofing. I’ve yet to find a jacket that excels in both.

frm

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi , it is good idea to take rain protection while walking coastal route ( 1st time 0 rainy days , 2nd 4 rainy days for me ) but still my opinion is that you dont need to invest in these brands unless you plan to use it for multiple hikes . IMHO 15 euro rain jacket from Decatlon will do just fine on Camino Portugese . Use the money for quality backpack , shoes ,socks ;)
I totally agree. I have to temper what I write to reveal my own prejudices. First even when I was working and could afford it, personally I would never buy a raincoat or jacket for 2 or 300 or more dollars. Now on a retirement budget it would be insane for me personally. I do know people that I have met on the Camino who have walked many Caminos and do plenty of hiking or long distance bike riding and have expensive gear but they use it constantly and know how to take care of their gear. For them it makes sense for sure to pay more for equipment that can literally last for years. Now someone like me who is a slob does not buy expensive gear for the most part. I bought an Altus rain poncho and I am still using it as I await my 6th Camino. Holds up great. It does sweat some when I walk in October but in November and December it gives me a good layer of warmth, blocks the wind well and keeps my pack dry even after walking much of the day in rain. My pack will feel moist but my gear is dry inside. Most of my other clothes I buy close out from the manufacturer’s websites and REÍ. The American equivalent of Decathlon. I can buy quality stuff that lasts and work for a fraction of the price. I paid about $25 US for my Altus rain jacket (it is the one with a hood,zipper and sleeves and has a zipper). It is about $50 now I think. I have even figured out how to easily put it on even in high winds. If anyone wants my secret let me know 😛.
Totally agree with you about not skimping with my backpack and my trail runners. Been wearing the same brand of Brooks Cascadias they now cost about $140 but I know they will give my feet the protection they need, have had a total of about 6 blisters in 4500 kilometers of walking. I also bought a really good REÍ backpack that was about $130 in 2013. I have had to resew a few things but it is still going strong.

@FSP Gear Lab is useful but usually only for US brands. Some of the best gear is made by European companies - Berghaus, Vaude, Haglöfs have already been mentioned, but there are many others. And of course gear made in Korea and Japan. Anywhere that has mountains and extreme weather! I'm just looking at some good gear made in the Czech Republic.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
JillGat brings up a major issue with the Precip. The hood is terrible. It is strangely shaped. It has a a small brim that seems to only function as a weight to cause it to slip down over your eyes. If you are tall the hood doesn’t allow you to raise your head due to it’s size, but somehow still slide down into your field of vision. I end up forced to tilt my head downward while at the same time having it cover my eyes.

frm

Kanga,
How does one look at gear from the Czech Republic? Are there web sites in English? I often have gear and clothing envy when walking with Europeans. Their gear seems a bit more stylish than much of what we have in the USA.

Hi everyone!

All the best
Woody
I have walked two Caminos and have always taken my Marmot Precip jacket. A fantastic waterproof jacket that packs away into it’s own pocket and do light to carry. In my opinion you cannot best it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love my homemade "Parcho." I made mine from a kit from Quest Outfitters. It's similar to an Altus, but the sleeves are much looser. And it's lighter weight. Mine only weighs 7.2 ounces.

For the heck of it I checked how much my Altus weighs. I have no idea the name of my poncho but it sure looks like the Atmospheric S3. That one is 12.5 ounces. So yes heavier. But what is a few ounces between friends. Also I can't draw a straight line let alone make one from a kit. Too lazy too. Finally I figure I make up the weight by using one bar of soap for washing body, hair and clothes. The only other toiletries I carry is a few ibuprofen, toothbrush and paste, an assortment of about 15 bandaids and Voltaren, Neosporin and a couple of pins. Now you know all my secrets of my backpack. Oh I forgot, baby wipes for my delicate derriere. (Of course biodegradable).

the lining is only so-and-so.
My wife and had some, umm, "challenges" with those Marmot Pricep linings. We bought these jackets for our 2018 Camino and they worked fine. But the following year, we noticed the lining starting to disintegrate, which left little white flecks sticking to our clothes. Earlier this year, we finally complained to the company and they agreed to send us replacements. So, we ordered jackets in the same sizes as before. My new one was a little tight but wearable so I kept it. My wife's was too small and she sent it back for a larger one. This time the Marmot warranty department took a long time fulfilling the order and it failed to arrive before we made a trip to Portugal in November. It'll be some months before we get back to the U.S. to see if her new one fits. At least I'm not seeing any lining disintegration in my new one! Well, not yet ...

Hi i tried two Marmot jackets.bothleak after about 40 mins. Marmot changed the first reluctantly. I kept the second and tried everything that they suggested. Tech wash followed by nikwax followed by the dryer. After 30 mins water stops beading and after 40 minutes i get damp.

Will go back to a cheap poncho as it is no worse yet keeps backpack dry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am, from experience, very reluctant to recommend what I consider "basic equipment".

Shoes - - what one person finds "walking on air", I have fit-tested and found it equivalent to walking on razor blades.

Pack - - yes, I am mindful of how much it weighs but what really matters to me is that it fits well and places the load over my center of gravity.

Ponchos? Don't know as I cannot bear to have one on me, a lesson learned over 40 years ago. (It's a personal issue, for sure. ;))

So, yes, I favor a rain jacket. And the Marmot line was not for me. My late Camigo used one. Awkward hood, zippers seemed balky at most times.

But, what really frosted me, is that sales people actually believe that excellent 'breathability' and water repellent capability are completely compatible in a product at this point in time. Call me a curmudgeon but I think not.

I wear an old Eddy Bauer jacket that served me well though "brand" had nothing to do with it's usefulness.

First, it had dual closures - snaps and zipper. So, when I was on an icy catwalk 40 meters above the ground, I still had enough motor skills left to handle snaps if the zipper became problematic.

Second, it looked good (still does, 12 years later), over my work clothes of denim and flannel, or a three piece suit transiting any major airports.

What I think really counts is having a realistic expectation that no jacket is going to provide BOTH breathability and water repellency. Getting too warm? Bring up the sleeves to your elbows first, then open the front of the jacket if over-heating/sweat condensation continues. Take the jacket off as a last resort but know that hypothermia can set in at temps as high as 70 F (21 C).

Maybe products have improved and I am all wrong! (It has happened before. :)) But, in Camino-ing and other walking? I have yet to meet anyone who has high praise for "breathability" and "water repellency" in their footwear or rain jacket after four (4) continuous days of rain.

My life got simpler when I learned to accept deficiencies and work around them.

I hope that helps,

B

Both my husband and I bought the OR lightweight jackets and they performed really well on our camino. Packed away in their own pouch. Different very visibe colours available. Not cheap but the price is forgotten when it performs well.
Hope this link works...

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.