Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How does the Camino Primitivo compare to other routes?

Grandoro

Hi there,

I'm planning on walking the Camino during May, and have about 10-12 days (2-3 more days if necessary, I'm not in a rush). I've been reviewing the very abundant material pertaining each specific route, and am thinking about taking the Camino Primitivo.

To sum up, the general impression I have is that this route is harder (more fun, perhaps), a lot shorter and less crowded than the Camino Francés. Also, it is supposed to be quite rewarding from a scenic point of view, although it does seem to have less interesting man made landmarks.

The reasons I'm leaning towards the Camino Primitivo are: 1) I think it's interesting, from a symbolic point of view, to repeat the pilgrimage as it was made in its inception. 2) Avoiding crowds (isn't that great?). 3) Beautiful natural scenery. 4) Supposedly there are less sections of the road that coincide with national highways (it must be a bummer to have cars zooming by when you're on a spiritual journey).

Any insight regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated, especially if you have done the Camino Primitivo before (if you have done other routes as well, a comparison would be great ).

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Darío Romero
From Santiago, Chile, to Santiago de Compostela

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from San Sebastian to Santiago through Oviedo in September 2007. I found the route from Oviedo to Santiago wonderful. The views were beautiful. It is a route less traveled and you will not meet up with as many people. There are several options upon leaving Lugo. Ask the hospitalero at the albergue about the options and the best route to take. The distances can be a little longer but well worth it. You will meet up with the Camino Frances at Melide so the last few days will be more crowded. I would not hesitate at all to take the Oviedo to Santiago route.

Dario, You really need convincing? I think you convinced me.... you put all the pluses and it sounds perfect for what you want to do in the days you have to do it. If you have any days left over... go to Finisterra and Muxia.
Have Fun
Lillian

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back