• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How does the Madrid compare to the Frances?

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
I know that the Madrid converges with the Frances, however, I am only just discovering this gem! How does the Madrid compare to the Frances before they meet up in Sahgun? In terms of signage, accom, bars, stages and difficulty? In a very general sense, how does it compare weather wise? I assume it is just as beautiful! I know it is a solitary walk which is fine - I walk with my family at winter time, we are used to quiet!

Are there any resources like Gronze for the Madrid? A map with stages? Not ready to buy a guide book, we just returned from the Frances a few weeks ago and need to introduce the concept slowly and gently with the others!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gronze has information on 35 Camino routes, including the Madrid.

Thank you dear trecile, don't know how I missed that, I had a look earlier and it didnt show.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Shorter, quieter, fewer bars/accommodation options.
Cheaper. Excellent signage. apart from the first few days, flatter.

I am walking this path from the 10th May. I will blog along the way if you would like to follow along...buen camino. Mel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The way I put it would be like the Meseta on Frances after crossing the Sierra to Segovia, and all the way to Sahagun. If you like the beauty of the Meseta (like me) you would enjoy it tremendously ...

How does the Madrid compare to the Frances before they meet up in Sahgun? In terms of signage, accom, bars, stages and difficulty? In a very general sense, how does it compare weather wise?

I loved the Madrid. The thing that makes it special is that it meets the base level of desired pilgrim infrastructure - good signage, an albergue every 25-ish km, just enough scattered bars and restaurants - but it still feels like an undiscovered trail. You'll have to plan your stages more than the Francés in terms of how far you want to walk each day because you don't have the option of accommodation every few kms, but you can stay in albergues pretty much every night (possibly except for nights one and three).

In terms of difficulty, there is a mountain pass on the long day into Segovia but it's quite flat other than that. For weather, the last few days are on the Meseta so you know what that's like! Apart from that, we got snow in early April in Segovia!

¡Buen camino!

P.S. My live thread in case you're interested.

I loved the camino de Madrid which I combined with the Salvador and Primitivo. Search for some blogs for first hand experience. This is usually my first point of call when researching. I posted to my own blog every day from this camino. If you’d like to take a look you can see it here.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know that the Madrid converges with the Frances, however, I am only just discovering this gem! How does the Madrid compare to the Frances before they meet up in Sahgun? In terms of signage, accom, bars, stages and difficulty? In a very general sense, how does it compare weather wise? I assume it is just as beautiful! I know it is a solitary walk which is fine - I walk with my family at winter time, we are used to quiet!

Are there any resources like Gronze for the Madrid? A map with stages? Not ready to buy a guide book, we just returned from the Frances a few weeks ago and need to introduce the concept slowly and gently with the others!!!!

good signage
less pilgrims
beautiful scenery
amazing monuments
weather similar to the Francés
quiet bars
mostly dirt trails and paths
tough mountain at the beginning
adequate pilgrim services (albergues) once out of the Region of Madrid

Thank you everyone. Thanks also for the links to blogs - I will have a look at them all. evanlow - I love the Meseta too. Jungleboy I have walked 2 winter CFs so no stranger to the scattered infrastructure and having to walk long days. I saw a map of the mountain going in to Servovia - it looks daunting - I have only walved to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos - how does it compare? It looks like a killer....

I'm also gravitating towards this less discovered Camino. At the end of my Autumn 2019 Francè Camino I was wanderimg around the streets of Madrid and came across the familiar arrows and before I knew it I was following them. I had to stop myself as I was departing on a plane home the next day. Before leaving the beginning of the urban trail I met a guy standing outside a bike shop and asked him about the arrows. He explained the origins behind it and how wonderful and life changing it was for him as he had just returned. Its less than 20 years old as a marketed camino but I expect due to its accessible point of origin it will become the one to watch in future. I returned home, waited 40 days and found myself thinking about a return, this time for a longer period of time. I've decided to sell up, learn Spanish and a TEFL certificate in hand and seeds of a business idea I'm moving to Madrid in September, staying at the excellent Hat hostel in Sol and walking to Santiago & Muxia to start my new life in the sun. 🤠Screenshot_20200308-103426.png

Thank you everyone. Thanks also for the links to blogs - I will have a look at them all. evanlow - I love the Meseta too. Jungleboy I have walked 2 winter CFs so no stranger to the scattered infrastructure and having to walk long days. I saw a map of the mountain going in to Servovia - it looks daunting - I have only walved to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos - how does it compare? It looks like a killer....
It depends on what you're used to. The mountain going to Segovia IMO, is totally doable. Like you, before I went, felt a little intimidated. The actual walk over was not especially difficult. Buen Camino.

My wife and I considered walking the Camino de Madrid rather than hiking the Frances every two years. I spent lots of time researching stages, places to stay, etc. My limited research indicated that some stages are longer than we prefer (at least 30 kms or more vs our daily preference for 20 kms), and there are not many options to stay in private rooms. So we'll reconsider in a few years and hope that the infrastructure continues to improve.

My wife and I considered walking the Camino de Madrid rather than hiking the Frances every two years. I spent lots of time researching stages, places to stay, etc. My limited research indicated that some stages are longer than we prefer (at least 30 kms or more vs our daily preference for 20 kms), and there are not many options to stay in private rooms. So we'll reconsider in a few years and hope that the infrastructure continues to improve.

The infrastructure is great on the Madrid, the paths are rarely paved, and the people are so kind. Aside from Segovia, there aren’t many spectacular cities or scenery, but it is, IMO, a great camino. @Anniesantiago, who is currently walking the Vdlp and unlikely to chime in, frequently says it is her favorite.

Here’s one quickly done rough sketch of how to break the Camino de Madrid into short stages.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm also gravitating towards this less discovered Camino. At the end of my Autumn 2019 Francè Camino I was wanderimg around the streets of Madrid and came across the familiar arrows and before I knew it I was following them. I had to stop myself as I was departing on a plane home the next day. Before leaving the beginning of the urban trail I met a guy standing outside a bike shop and asked him about the arrows. He explained the origins behind it and how wonderful and life changing it was for him as he had just returned. Its less than 20 years old as a marketed camino but I expect due to its accessible point of origin it will become the one to watch in future. I returned home, waited 40 days and found myself thinking about a return, this time for a longer period of time. I've decided to sell up, learn Spanish and a TEFL certificate in hand and seeds of a business idea I'm moving to Madrid in September, staying at the excellent Hat hostel in Sol and walking to Santiago & Muxia to start my new life in the sun. 🤠View attachment 70630
Good luck and I have seen that marker. I stay at Toc Hostel near the Sol Metro. I like it because there is a curtain so you can have more privacy in your bunk. Very clean too. Does Sol have a curtain? I remember seeing it on Bookings a few years back but chose the Toc Privacy factor haha. The prices were about the same. Now I just book at Toc. Two caminos ago after walking the Norte which was so quiet especially the last few weeks and an amazingly quiet Santiago when arrived, I went to Madrid and just felt overwhelmed by the amount of people and stimulus. It was weird. Spent alot of time in Toc and at the movies. :)

Good luck and I have seen that marker. I stay at Toc Hostel near the Sol Metro. I like it because there is a curtain so you can have more privacy in your bunk. Very clean too. Does Sol have a curtain? I remember seeing it on Bookings a few years back but chose the Toc Privacy factor haha. The prices were about the same. Now I just book at Toc. Two caminos ago after walking the Norte which was so quiet especially the last few weeks and an amazingly quiet Santiago when arrived, I went to Madrid and just felt overwhelmed by the amount of people and stimulus. It was weird. Spent alot of time in Toc and at the movies. :)
Thanks for the well wishes and can appreciate the advantages of a privacy curtain. The Hat doesn't have one but its easy to improvise and create one with a spare sheet. One feature that The Hat has is a rooftop bar and restaurant which is open to the public. The breakfast included with stay is fantastic and staff create home from home. I know how you feel about Madrid being overwhelming but still feels intimate and comfortable. I've never been to the movie's in Spain as I'm usually playing out the movie that I experienced on my camino. Try the Hat, improvise with sheet and check out best little Irish up around the corner. The oldest restaurant in the world is also on your door step 🤠

Attachments

• 20191104_121336.jpg
    20191104_121336.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20191105_153141.jpg
    20191105_153141.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The oldest restaurant! Wow that is worth the price of admission. Went to the movies to escape the crowds. For some reason I have always found going to a movie theatre, especially if they are not playing Marvel Comic movies a good place to escape. Maybe I will check out The Hat next time! Thanks.

The oldest restaurant! Wow that is worth the price of admission. Went to the movies to escape the crowds. For some reason I have always found going to a movie theatre, especially if they are not playing Marvel Comic movies a good place to escape. Maybe I will check out The Hat next time! Thanks.
Here's some info on Botín - the world's oldest restaurant

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I loved the Madrid too! No road walking. Lovely soft dirt paths. Good signposts. Segovia! Coca Castle (amazing and unexpected).

I am walking this path from the 10th May. I will blog along the way if you would like to follow along...buen camino. Mel
Hey! Can I drop in on your blog as well.

We're aiming to do the Madrid followed by the Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia triangle in September. It would be great to follow how you get on along the Madrid.

We've already done the Frances (twice) and the Portuguese from Lisbon, so we're now trying some of the side shoots.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I often have read on the forum how a big portion of the Madrid reminds them of the Meseta. I really enjoyed the Meseta, but after four or five days I was glad to be finished with that stretch. I am interested in the Madrid, but concerned the majority of it would be the same.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I often have read on the forum how a big portion of the Madrid reminds them of the Meseta. I really enjoyed the Meseta, but after four or five days I was glad to be finished with that stretch. I am interested in the Madrid, but concerned the majority of it would be the same.

Well, the last three-ish days of the Madrid into Sahagún IS the Meseta, but that's not the majority of the camino and I wouldn't let that put you off. Basically the Madrid, scenery-wise, can be pretty neatly divided into three sections of around four days each: the mountain-view and mountain-climbing stages before Segovia, the sandy pine forest stages in the middle section, and the Meseta at the end. I think this gives it some nice variety! The Meseta part includes the lovely walk along the Canal de Castilla, the ruined stork-tower near Tamariz that I really loved, and the fantastic palace-albergue at Grajal, so there's a lot to enjoy.

Easy walk well signposted. CSJ London has a simple but adequate guide. Camino office in Madrid has up to date sheets on accommodation and facilities. Some of the facilities are off the Camino in slightly large towns but these diversions were way marked in and out to hook up with Camino. Hostels and places to stay many on Booking.com
Enjoy

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back