• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How does this route sound?

Pasha

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago may 2018
Hi.. so I'm walking from sarria to Santiago and I was lucky enough to get this advice for my route.. have to admit the real long 1 scares me a bit..
Should I stick to this?
Any advice greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2721.jpg
    IMG_2721.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 346
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Never heard of Opedruza. I think you might mean O Pedrouzo though. The website @Tincatinker mentions is very useful. Another handy one is http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances which will give you the distances between many points on the route. You could cut 3km or so from that long day by stopping at Ribadiso da Baixo where there is a Xunta albergue in a beautiful setting by a river, with a couple of handy bars right next door.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try this guide https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances and plan your own route. No 'stage' is compulsory. There is accommodation; bars, cafes and other diversions for every kilometre you might walk from Sarria. Unless you are constrained by time you could walk to Santiago as slowly as you might wish.
Thanks so much for reply I'll definitely check out that website.. I am restricted with time but I wasn't aware I would have so many options so this is good to know... I'd much rather even it out a bit...
Thanks

Th
Never heard of Opedruza. I think you might mean O Pedrouzo though. The website @Tincatinker mentions is very useful. Another handy one is http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances which will give you the distances between many points on the route. You could cut 3km or so from that long day by stopping at Ribadiso da Baixo where there is a Xunta albergue in a beautiful setting by a river, with a couple of handy bars right next door.
Thanks bradypus for reply.. spreading/evening out walk sounds a lot better I'll definitely check that site out... nerves are already starting to kick in ... that place sounds like a nice spot to stop

The first time I did the Frances I started in Sarria because I wasn't sure I'd like it. I loved it!

I did the same route you're contemplating and I was a bit daunted. However, that 'long walk day' was fine as I had improved my fitness by the time I got there.

I was 65 when I did it, did no prep at all (just filled my backpack and went. I also wasn't aware that you can have you backpack sent forward for next to nothing so I carried a 17 kg backpack and a 7 kg front pack - way way too much stuff) all the way to Santiago, am not fit by any means, have a gammy right knee for which I wear a support bandage, and get short of breath very easily (low lung capacity).

I don't think you'll have any problems. Also you can easy change your itinerary using the tools by some of the other answers.

Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first time I did the Frances I started in Sarria because I wasn't sure I'd like it. I loved it!

I did the same route you're contemplating and I was a bit daunted. However, that 'long walk day' was fine as I had improved my fitness by the time I got there.

I was 65 when I did it, did no prep at all (just filled my backpack and went. I also wasn't aware that you can have you backpack sent forward for next to nothing so I carried a 17 kg backpack and a 7 kg front pack - way way too much stuff) all the way to Santiago, am not fit by any means, have a gammy right knee for which I wear a support bandage, and get short of breath very easily (low lung capacity).

I don't think you'll have any problems. Also you can easy change your itinerary using the tools by some of the other answers.

Buen Camino.
Thanks so much for reply lance...
That puts my mind at ease a bit... I will be getting my bag transferred for sure... all I really need to be 100% sure about now is how to get to sarria from the airport... I had asked these questions before when I decided I wanted to do it but can't find the old posts.. I'm pretty sure I get a bus which takes about 2 hours...
I intend to start walking a lot as soon as these storms pass too..
Thanks again
Pasha

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
By the time we reached Sarria in 2013 I was suffering from a bad case of plantar fasciitis, which meant cutting our daily stages back to shorter distances. Here's what we ended up doing:
Sarria to Vilachá -- 19.9 km (12.4 mi)
Vilachá to Gonzar -- 10.3 km (6.4 mi)
Gonzar to Palas del Rey -- 17.0 km (10.6 mi)
Palas del Rey to Boente -- 17.5 km (10.9 mi)
Boente to Salceda -- 19.5 km (12.1 mi)
Salceda to Lavacolla -- 17.6 km (10.9 mi)
Lavacolla to Santiago -- 10.4 km (6.5 mi)

I'm not sure if the albergue(Casa Banderas) in Vilachá is still open, so that might mean walking another 2.5 km into Portomarín on that day, in which case you could either walk the full distance to Palas del Rei or split that 24.8 km into two shorter days. You'll find plenty of places to stay however you break the entire Sarria to Santiago distance into shorter segments.

Buen Camino!

By the time we reached Sarria in 2013 I was suffering from a bad case of plantar fasciitis, which meant cutting our daily stages back to shorter distances. Here's what we ended up doing:

I'm not sure if the albergue(Casa Banderas) in Vilachá is still open, so that might mean walking another 2.5 km into Portomarín on that day, in which case you could either walk the full distance to Palas del Rei or split that 24.8 km into two shorter days. You'll find plenty of places to stay however you break the entire Sarria to Santiago distance into shorter segments.

Buen Camino!

jmcarp,
The Casa IS currently listed in Gronze.com. See more here--
https://www.gronze.com/galicia/lugo/vilei-barbadelo/albergue-pension-casa-barbadelo

What good luck for fellow walkers who need/wish short distances between stops.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Buen Camino!
Thanks for the reply and advice... I'm limited to time unfortunately so I may have to stick to the original
Pasha

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
jmcarp,
The Casa IS currently listed in Gronze.com. See more here--
https://www.gronze.com/galicia/lugo/vilei-barbadelo/albergue-pension-casa-barbadelo
The Gronze reference is a different albergue. As @falcon269 said, Casa Banderas at Vilachá has been up for sale as Gordon, the owner, was suffering from health issues and no longer felt like he could handle the grind of day-to-day operations. Too bad--it was one of our favorites and Gordon is a prince of a fellow.

Sorry for my mistake; thanks for the update!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Almost anybody can do 29k in one day, it's that next morning which kills you! Plan well - meaning a bit better - Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.