• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How early is too early in April (2012) to start the Camino

Wolfmoms

This will be my first Camino. I have constraints from work ... I can squeeze out 4 weeks for walking the Camino Frances to Santiago and will have to start in early April. I'm thinking of starting from Pamplona rather that taking the additional travel time to Roncevalles. Is this doable?

I turn 60 later this year and this walk will be a celebration of a major life milestone. I've not attempted anything of this magnitude but have hiked, biked and backpacked during most of my 50s. Looking forward to meeting Class of 2012 along the Way.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have started in mid March twice and see no reason why you would have any problems. One year we had no rain until Galicia and the other year we had about the expected amount. Nothing a decent poncho/raincoat could not handle. All part of the experience.
A big advantage is that you are not dealing with the extreme heat. The albergues are all open and not crowded as they are a little later in the year.
Starting in Pamplona may be a pretty good idea as it will make your four weeks to Santiago a lot more comfortable as far as time goes.
I should add that I am starting from Le Puy on April 1st next year...so obviously I think it a proper time for a Camino.
Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi and welcome!
I walked my first camino last year, starting in Roncesvalles in March.
There is no time in April that is too early to start, weather is so unpredictable that you just have to take pot luck. By April the sun is very nice and warm when it shines but you could get anything else. My advice would be look at how Easter slots in. It is a great time to be walking, some parts of the camino get busier because of the Spanish who walk over that period but the worst part is after Sarria and that should have got better by the time you get there as Easter is fairly early in April (8th). If you start early in April you may be able to take in some of the Holy Week processions, these are well worth seeing. I know they are particularly special after Leon, don't know about before that but if you look up some of the major towns their web pages will probably give information.
Pamplona to Santiago in 30 days maybe pushing it a bit, it will be hard work, some very long days and no time to factor in those odd happenings of the Camino. I did Pamplona to santiago in 31 days, I had a couple of short days, I also did a couple of 34 kms! Does the 30 days include your travel, if it does you would probably do better to start about Logrono or cut out a bit later on.
Buen camino
Sue

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there, if you are hiking fit, you can do the Camino in 28 days - especially if you start from Pamplona which is about 705km from Santiago = 25km per day.
I hope the weather is as kind to you as it was to the early spring walkers this year!

Wolfmoms:

Walking in April should not be an issue. I have started the last two years in late March and will walk the same time this coming year.

Four weeks or 28 days might be pushing it from Pamplona. Is that 28 days to walk or does that include travel? When walking the Frances, I have follwed pretty close to the Brierley guide which is 33 days from SJPdP. That would be 30 days from Pamplona averaging about 25km or 15 miles a day.

I would recommend you start in Logrono. That should be around 25 days to hike to Santiago. You could fly into Madrid and take the train to Logrono about 3 1/2 hours. Madrid is also easy to get back to from Santiago for your return trip.

Coming from the States, you have to factor in about 4 travel days. I take night flights and sleep on the plane so jet lag is not too bad. Going home though after 30 days in Europe is usually about two days for me to adjust.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back