• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How easy is it to get ice on the Camino?

R

Roger M.

Might seem like a dumb question to some folks. But I have found that I can significantly improve my walking experience by periodically applying ice to my feet. A small sandwich bag half filled with ice and held to my foot for 10 minutes or so provides meaningful relief to aches and pains.

So will most bars or tiendas readily provide me with a couple of handfuls of ice that I can put in a bag and apply during rest breaks?

Thanks,

Roger

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Every bar has ice, and I have never been turned down. Buy and cafe con leche and ask nicely for some hielo. Bring several ziplok bags with you; they will develop holes.

Roger,

Ice is NOT widely sold in bags either in France or Spain as it is throughout the USA. Hence forget trying to buy ice in a shop; perhaps you might acquire some in a bar. As an alternative have you considered a pack of frozen peas? No joke; they are cheap, generally available and can be shaped to fit your foot.

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, Roger,

I do exactly the same thing. In many years of caminos, I have only been refused once. (At a bar in the main square in Logroño). I take care to sit outside at a table where the melting ice can drain away inconspicuously. I also carry a plastic bag with me so they don't have to scrounge around for one.

Ice is great, but so are those icy rivers we are frequently near on the Camino, so plan your rest breaks accordingly. Buen camino, Laurie

Every bar has ice, and I have never been turned down. Buy and cafe con leche and ask nicely for some hielo. Bring several ziplok bags with you; they will develop holes.

Thanks Falcon, just the info I was looking for. --- Roger

Roger,

Ice is NOT widely sold in bags either in France or Spain as it is throughout the USA. Hence forget trying to buy ice in a shop; perhaps you might acquire some in a bar. As an alternative have you considered a pack of frozen peas? No joke; they are cheap, generally available and can be shaped to fit your foot.

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

The pack of peas is a good idea here at home where I have a refrigerator. I have also found that by mixing a bag with 3 parts water and 1 part rubbing alcohol I can create a super cold ice pack that molds to my feet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No more difficult than getting ice in any other first world country.

oh, ice is pretty much unknown where I live (Austria). And never served in cafes or restaurants. The large hotel chains would have ice for their American guests, I suppose.
when we're at other expats' parties, there are those who are designated to buy ice at the one or two gas stations that have it, at the outskirts of town. Very unusual to be able to get ice.

oh, ice is pretty much unknown where I live (Austria). And never served in cafes or restaurants. The large hotel chains would have ice for their American guests, I suppose.
when we're at other expats' parties, there are those who are designated to buy ice at the one or two gas stations that have it, at the outskirts of town. Very unusual to be able to get ice.

Well, when I travel to Austria ( maybe next year ), I'll be sure to bring my own ice with me. Thanks PL!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Might seem like a dumb question to some folks. But I have found that I can significantly improve my walking experience by periodically applying ice to my feet. A small sandwich bag half filled with ice and held to my foot for 10 minutes or so provides meaningful relief to aches and pains.
So will most bars or tiendas readily provide me with a couple of handfuls of ice that I can put in a bag and apply during rest breaks?

I developed a tendonitis and initially searched in vain for 'Instant Cold Packs." I don't think they are available in Spain. Then I discovered that showing my swollen ankle to the bartender and asking for "una bolsa de hielo" always met success. I sat in the bar with my foot elevated and iced and enjoyed "una cerveza" or two. I was happy and the bartender was happy. Taking extra heavy duty ziplock bags is a great idea.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back