• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How far can I walk in 13 days?

KateB

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
I have a two week vacation coming up in April and would like to start my Camino (at last). I will end it at some stage later in 2016 or 2017 but due to work I can't do the whole thing at once.

I am travelling from Australia so need two days inbound and two days outbound travel to get home.

I would like to arrive in SJPDP - the Napoleon route over the Pyrenees is a must - I am not skipping this part. But my end point has me unsure - especially as it must have decent transport links to get me back to Paris and back to Australia.

I will be 54 years old at the time of walking, I am reasonably fit with no health problems and take no medication for anything (if that helps).

Can anyone recommend an end point so I can get back to Paris? Is Torres del Rio too optimistic and too isolated for transport?

Looking forward to the experts' advice. Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Torres del Rio is definitely too isolated, but Logroño might be a good option. Another good end point would be Estella, it really depends on how many kilometers you can comfortably walk per day. Buen Camino, SY

From either Logrono or Estella you can get a bus to Hendaye which is the old border town in France. From Hendaye you can easily get a train to Paris. See the web www.Rome2Rio.com for more info.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks - this is so helpful. I'm erring on the conservative side so will aim for Estella and if I can get as far as Logrono then that will be a bonus. My son walked the Camino Frances earlier this year and I received tons of support from this forum and tons of encouragement to do it myself so the plans are underway :)

Even if you end up in a village just before or just after Estella (or Logrono) you can always grab a taxi into Estella (or Logrono) where you can grab the train as previously mentioned.

I agree with Laurie (mspath). Both Estrella and Logrono are sizeable towns/cities with the necessary transport links back to Southern France and thence to Paris. Alternatively you could get a train or bus to Madrid and thence the flight back home, of course this depends on your airline - if its Emirates (or Emirates/Qantas) then this will not be a problem. Going via Madrid might mean you could walk a little further. Cheers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes it will be Emirates - I always fly with them - didn't realise it could be more convenient to leave via Madrid - will check this out - thanks Saint Mike

Hard to predict, but most would do somewhere between 250 & 300 KM in that time -- or ~200 if you're a bit slow, 350-400 if you're super fast.

I'd say Logroño (167 KM) is a good goal if you're really slow, Burgos (~300 KM) if you're a strong hiker.

Between those two points, Both Santo Domingo de la Calzada (~220 K) and Belorado (~240 K) would be there for you if you aimed for Logroño but walked further, or for Burgos but couldn't make it, as they both have decent transport availability.

Worth bearing in mind that the first week of hiking is the most difficult, so it might be wise to aim for Logroño, then bus back there from Santo Domingo or Belorado or wherever if you managed to carry on further ?

didn't realise it could be more convenient to leave via Madrid - will check this out -

Yes, to fly out of Madrid makes things easier and an open-jaw ticket outbound to Paris; inbound from Madrid shouldn't be (much) more expensive than a return ticket to Paris.

All these towns and cities located between Pamplona and Burgos (both of them included) have direct buses to Madrid:

• Pamplona
  • Puente la Reina
  • Estella
  • Logroño
  • Nájera
  • Santo Domingo de la Calzada
  • Belorado
  • Burgos
In addition, there are direct trains to Madrid from Pamplona, Logroño and Burgos. Out of Logroño, the direct train is daily except Sundays although you have more options changing trains along the route. Out of Pamplona and Burgos, you have several daily trains to Madrid.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a two week vacation coming up in April and would like to start my Camino (at last). I will end it at some stage later in 2016 or 2017 but due to work I can't do the whole thing at once.

I am travelling from Australia so need two days inbound and two days outbound travel to get home.

I would like to arrive in SJPDP - the Napoleon route over the Pyrenees is a must - I am not skipping this part. But my end point has me unsure - especially as it must have decent transport links to get me back to Paris and back to Australia.

I will be 54 years old at the time of walking, I am reasonably fit with no health problems and take no medication for anything (if that helps).

Can anyone recommend an end point so I can get back to Paris? Is Torres del Rio too optimistic and too isolated for transport?

KateB:

If I understand your time frame correctly, you only have 10 walking days. Assuming that is correct, you should easily reach between Logrono and Belorado bus transportation back to Pamplona and from there bus or train to Hendaye and then a train to Paris.

If you have not purchased your ticket already, you could consider using Madrid versus Paris as your ingress and egress to the Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

I haven't booked my air yet but will try and get an open jaw ticket - I want to fly into Paris and take the train to SJPDP as it allows me a night in Paris to sleep off the jet lag and I just love Paris.
I'll try and leave via Madrid as this seems to be a good way to do things.
I so appreciate your comments and advice.

Isn't this just amazing.

At 10h00 my time KateB asks a question that involves a lot of knowledge and understanding

By 11h42 my time it's practically sorted with clear advice and great respect for each other.

And with members located in Australia, Czech Republic, several US states and some un-named locations, representing many time zones, being involved.

Just amazing.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi Kate, I think your options are already given to you. The only thing I have to say is, wishing you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you are uncomfortable with the "wait and see how you go" approach, you could always block out a long weekend at home and do a long walk three or four days running to see what you can manage. Before that I would recommend starting with trying out 10km and see how you feel the next day. Increase your distances to discover what you're comfortable with. Wearing a filled pack is not a bad idea too - you might discover you want to leave some things behind before you even leave home!

Hi KateB
I remember you - you are "the worried mom rom Australia" - I remember reading your posts about your son on the Camino.
It is great that you have decided to walk the Camino, now you are in planning stage and that is so exiting. Rachel from the Kiwi-family has a good point, if you can take a couple of days walking with a backpack to see how your body reacts and how far, you are comfortable walking, that would be good.
I can't help thinking if your son will be "the worried son from Australia" - just joking.
All the best to you and buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are uncomfortable with the "wait and see how you go" approach, you could always block out a long weekend at home and do a long walk three or four days running to see what you can manage. Before that I would recommend starting with trying out 10km and see how you feel the next day. Increase your distances to discover what you're comfortable with. Wearing a filled pack is not a bad idea too - you might discover you want to leave some things behind before you even leave home!

Yes, this is exactly the type of training I was going to do. I live in the country so can take long walks without losing momentum as you would in the city, waiting for traffic lights and dodging pedestrians etc. I did some hiking on the Amalfi Coast in Italy earlier this year and that was a good glimpse into my stamina - which although reasonable, was not 'Camino ready' if you know what I mean.

Hi KateB
I remember you - you are "the worried mom rom Australia" - I remember reading your posts about your son on the Camino.
It is great that you have decided to walk the Camino, now you are in planning stage and that is so exiting. Rachel from the Kiwi-family has a good point, if you can take a couple of days walking with a backpack to see how your body reacts and how far, you are comfortable walking, that would be good.
I can't help thinking if your son will be "the worried son from Australia" - just joking.
All the best to you and buen Camino

Yes that's me! And yes, he is worried already as I will be going it alone and he was there when they were all searching for Denise. He's not happy so I have to bring him on board.

Yes that's me! And yes, he is worried already as I will be going it alone and he was there when they were all searching for Denise. He's not happy so I have to bring him on board.

So he is going with you? Well, that is great, what a wonderful thing to do together!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No he's not - hes' done with the Camino although they've made a pact to do it again when they're in their 40s. I'll be by myself unless I can persuade someone from home to come with me but that looks unlikely. Anyway I'm sure I'll meet many people on the road so I'm not overly concerned.

No he's not - hes' done with the Camino although they've made a pact to do it again when they're in their 40s. I'll be by myself unless I can persuade someone from home to come with me but that looks unlikely. Anyway I'm sure I'll meet many people on the road so I'm not overly concerned.
Hi KateB, You certainly won't be "alone" on the CF in April. I will be keeping an "ear out" for Aussie accents. Buen Camino.

I haven't booked my air yet but will try and get an open jaw ticket - I want to fly into Paris and take the train to SJPDP as it allows me a night in Paris to sleep off the jet lag and I just love Paris.
I'll try and leave via Madrid as this seems to be a good way to do things.
I so appreciate your comments and advice.
Into Paris and out of Madrid is something I looked at too, but it was quite a bit more expensive than a return ticket to Paris. Not trying to dissuade you though. Are you going to take the train from Gare Montparnesse to Bayonne?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
From Sydney via Emirates we paid the same fare flying into Paris and out from Madrid, as in and out from Paris.

Hola KateB - so glad you have accepted the Camino "bug infection"!! This could be the start of your affair with N & NW Spain. So yes a very special "Buen Camino"!:);):rolleyes:

I think you are not leaving enough travel time, two days each way is a bit tight seeing as you want to overnight in Paris on your way over.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
From Sydney via Emirates we paid the same fare flying into Paris and out from Madrid, as in and out from Paris.
OK, must have been the different dates I was looking at? Anyway, any excuse to be in Paris again. Buen Camino.

Hi there,

12 days walking will comfortably get you from SJPDP to Belorado (that includes a short 10km first day walk to Orisson)

From Belorado you can get a direct bus to Madrid (www.plmautocares.com) e.g. one bus I know leaves Belorado at 9.30am and gets you to Madrid for about 1pm. From Madrid then you have numerous options to get to Paris.

Hope this helps !

Buen Camino.

P

I did my camino in 2 weeks from Astorga !!
I was a beautiful town to start your camino!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did my camino in 2 weeks from Astorga !!
I was a beautiful town to start your camino!!
Yes Astroga is a good place to start "your" Camino. However I think if you "read between the lines", KateB wants to replicate as much of the Camino her son experienced; maybe with the hope of returning and completing the task. Thus (I believe) her stated wish to start from St Jean

@JMac56 it does make a big difference depending on the day of the week you leave. I find Tuesday's out of Sydney cheapest, can't remember what worked best for the return. If you hit the jackpot and get a helpful Emirates person on the telephone, they will tell you.

@JMac56 it does make a big difference depending on the day of the week you leave. I find Tuesday's out of Sydney cheapest, can't remember what worked best for the return. If you hit the jackpot and get a helpful Emirates person on the telephone, they will tell you.
Thanks for the tip Kanga. I lived in Sydney for 12 years so consider it my second home. My flights are already locked in for 2016 but I will look harder for cheaper fares next time. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I want to start in St Jean for the challenge as well as replicating my son's journey. Actually, I would prefer to start in Paris at the little chapel near Notre Dame but no time for that.
Has anyone ever walked from Paris? I guess that's a question for another thread.

Thanks - this is so helpful. I'm erring on the conservative side so will aim for Estella and if I can get as far as Logrono then that will be a bonus. My son walked the Camino Frances earlier this year and I received tons of support from this forum and tons of encouragement to do it myself so the plans are underway :)
If it's any help to you, my wife and I (ages 69 and 68 at the time) made it from SJPP to Logroño in 9 days. That's a daily average of approximately 18 km/day, including the short first day to Orisson.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi

There's a bus from Logrono that goes past all the camino towns up to Villafranca (the one before Burgos not the Bierzo one!).

I am starting another Camino in 6 days and I have 12 days to get from St a Jean to Burgos (I will turn 36 in Granon on Jan 11th) so I have been researching what will happen if I fall foul of weather or the legs fail me and I don't reach Burgos.

I'd recommend just seeing how far you can get up to or past Logrono, Both Burgos and Logrono are well connected by train to Madrid.

Hi, I just walked from Leon to Santiago this past September, my first camino...We made it in 15 days, I'll love to do the whole Camino some day, my advice just buy your tickets, start training distance and distance with your pack filled with the approximate weight...I'll say "play it by ear", for me one of the magic things of the camino, do as much as you can, enjoying every second of it. You'll see you'll get further than you expected....BUEN CAMINO !!!!

we actually DID end in Torres del Rio due to illness and we had no trouble at all calling a cab to take us to Logrono where we spent 2 days trying to get better ... and failing *sigh* .... but there was no direct bus to Santiago so we went to Burgos to continue ... where we caught another bus to Santiago ... not exactly easy but not terribly difficult, just time consuming. We did it over the course of a couple days tho ... cause we were in fact trying to get better instead of quitting. Burgos is a larger city than Logrono and has better connections but staff at the train station were ... lets just say ... less than helpful ... which was quite a shock after the warm hospitality of the Camino and elsewhere in Spain .... perhaps just having a bad day ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back