• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How far is too far

Tracey Bartlett

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
Hi everyone,
Starting Camino de Santiago with my daughter on 18th of May.
Have taken advice and booked some accomodation for us.
Wondering however if our first walk from St Jean Pied de port to Espinal is too far.
Have booked the irugolence Albergue and just checked, your document says it is off the Camino.
Any advice and feedback will be welcomed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
'Too far' is a personal thing and depends on your preferences and stamina. SJPdP to Espinal is about 32 km and was my first stage into Spain. I was in good shape by then and thought it was very doable. The reason I walked past Roncesvalles was because at that moment I couldn't handle the crowds there and opted for a quieter hostel in Espinal (Haizea).

Hi Tracey,

It's certainly further than I'd want to go on day one of a Camino and while it's only a little over 30km the massive changes in elevation make it feel like well over 40km.

Is there any particular reason you're wanting to go so far? If not I'd caution against such a tough start, it's a lot easier to make up time and have long days a week or so in to your walk when you're battle hardened. If you have the confidence to contemplate walking to Espinal I would suggest that you're probably (given an early start) going to be at Roncesvalles in time to not have to worry about getting beds.

As for the location of the albergue, it's a very small village, so you wouldn't be too far away from the path.

Sorry to be negative, I'm usually all for pushing oneself but certainly for me this would be a bit too much for day 1.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's a tough start, I do agree with that. I second @Dorpie in his advice to see how you get along on your first day when you have reached Roncesvalles. If you have enough steam left, carry on. If not, you'll probably be early enough to secure a bunk there. Burguete might also be an option, 3 km past Roncesvalles.

It all depends on one's physical condition, and perhaps to some extent weather conditions. If you are both in good shape, walking with a reasonably weighted backpack and take breaks, I say sure.
I've walked from Saint Jean to Burguete before with no problems and it didn't wear me out.
Questions like that are difficult to get a single type answer from members of this forum because of the wide range of ages and physical conditions of the members. Some look at that long a walk on the first day as almost unthinkable whilst others see it as simply a good way to dodge the pilgrim crowd at Roncesvalles.

Tracey,

Of course we all have individual strengths etc. etc.
Last September I walked from St Jean Pied de port to Espinal. In hindsight, it was not my wisest decision. It had rained coming over the mountain and I was well tired and wet by Roncesvalles. Almost everyone stopped in Roncesvalles and the next 6 km or so was a push.
It depends on your daughter age and walking fitness. The walk over the mountain is tough enough on the first day. You are lucky to be heading off with your daughter. It has to be enjoyable. As stated above here are plenty of days further on where ye can really stretch the legs and hit 36 kms and more if you want.
On the other hand the Albergue in Espinal was lovely with great food and being vegetarian was no problem!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My son and I walked two years ago, I would take it easier on the first few days. We were still jetlagged when we left SJPP after lunch, and so were happy to stop at Orrison. From Orrison to Roncevalles took us about 4 hours though wind and sleet. I was happy get a bed, get clothes cleaned, take a nap, have a nice supper and then go to the pilgrim mass at Roncevalles.
--- So these were both short days for us-- we usually walk through the whole day, stopping in the late afternoon or evening. So 15-20 miles is a regular day, 24-27 miles a bit long. -- We walked without making reservations in April/May-- only running into a problem one day.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Questions like that are difficult to get a single type answer from members of this forum because of the wide range of ages and physical conditions of the members. Some look at that long a walk on the first day as almost unthinkable whilst others see it as simply a good way to dodge the pilgrim crowd at Roncesvalles.

I agree - very much depends on your own experience and fitness on the day. Some people will argue that even SJPDP to Roncesvalles is too far for one day and that stopping in Orisson or Valcarlos is essential. Others like myself have arrived in Roncesvalles before 3pm and more than capable of walking for another hour or two without any problem. Though I've been glad enough of the chance to stop when it offered itself. One of the problems with asking many sorts of practical questions here is that you will get many conflicting answers: most of them perfectly correct and justified from the point of view of the person posting it. Only you are in any real position to judge your own capability.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another option is SJPP to Valcarlos, then Valcarlos to Espinal. I did that same sequence and found it enjoyable. First day was relatively easy & nice dinners in both towns. Don’t know what I missed on the Napoleon route, but the low route traveled along the path of a mountain river for much of its way and had plenty of scenic climbing. I passed through Roncavalles before noon time when it was eerily quiet. I’d take the same path if I walked the CF again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As others have said, it depends on your fitness levels and reasons for doing so. A lot of people find the SJPP to Roncesvalles the toughest, longest day of the Camino because of the combination of climb and distance, especially if they are just starting in SJPP and not coming from, say, Le Puy, which would allow them to build up conditioning. Many stop at Orisson for just that reason.

Are you going past Roncesvalles to Espinal because you don't want to stay at the large albergue in Roncesvalles and would prefer something smaller and not where everyone else is stopping? In that case, you might want to go SJPP to Orisson to Espinal.

Maybe you are going the extra distance because you don't have a lot of time booked for the Camino and need to make as much time as possible. In that case, stopping at Orisson might not be such a good idea. You could go to Espinal, but you might want to consider saving the longer pushes for a bit later in the Camino, after you've built up the strength and endurance.

Maybe you both run marathons every day, or are otherwise very fit, in which case it might not be a problem at all. Some of the previous responses are from people who could do it without any problems

It's hard to tell from here.

I walked to Espinal from SJPP on one of my walks. When we got to Roncesvalles it was a madhouse with the reception area filled with pilgrims all excited and worried about beds. We were coming from LePuy and had already walked about 800 plus km at that point. It was not our first day as we had walked about 33 days.
We really would not have been able to handle to huge crowds and noise.
It was still early afternoon so we got lunch at the restaurant and walked on to Espinal.

I realize that it would be a great deal harder for those who were just starting walking as it would have been for me on my other trips between SJPP and Roncesvalles.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Another option is SJPP to Valcarlos, then Valcarlos to Espinal. I did that same sequence and found it enjoyable. First day was relatively easy & nice dinners in both towns. Don’t know what I missed on the Napoleon route, but the low route traveled along the path of a mountain river for much of its way and had plenty of scenic climbing. I passed through Roncavalles before noon time when it was eerily quiet. I’d take the same path if I walked the CF again.
I've taken the same path twice and loved it both times.

Hi Tracey,

It's certainly further than I'd want to go on day one of a Camino and while it's only a little over 30km the massive changes in elevation make it feel like well over 40km.

Is there any particular reason you're wanting to go so far? If not I'd caution against such a tough start, it's a lot easier to make up time and have long days a week or so in to your walk when you're battle hardened. If you have the confidence to contemplate walking to Espinal I would suggest that you're probably (given an early start) going to be at Roncesvalles in time to not have to worry about getting beds.

As for the location of the albergue, it's a very small village, so you wouldn't be too far away from the path.

Sorry to be negative, I'm usually all for pushing oneself but certainly for me this would be a bit too much for day 1.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Thank you for your reply. I thought I might be being a little too keen for our first day. I will change our booking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank
If you get to Roncesvalles, and decide you need to stop -- for whatever reason -- you can always taxi to Espinal. Then in the morning, if you wish to continue walking from Roncesvalles, take a taxi back to Roncesvalles.
'Too far' is a personal thing and depends on your preferences and stamina. SJPdP to Espinal is about 32 km and was my first stage into Spain. I was in good shape by then and thought it was very doable. The reason I walked past Roncesvalles was because at that moment I couldn't handle the crowds there and opted for a quieter hostel in Espinal (Haizea).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tracey, your reconsidered opinion is already here, but I think davebugg has a great point. i have seen countless pilgrims arrive in Zabaldika, having covered SJPPP to Roncesvalles, and second day from R to Zabaldika. At first I was taken aback, as the distance was unthinkable for me at the beginning of the CF, though not towards the end. Espinal to Z, then on to Cizur Menor next day gives a nice balance, going through Pamplona and making the following day easier also, approaching El Perdón. Once in Cizur, you can take a bus back to visit Pamplona if you want, but why miss being out in the wonderful open air??? Whatever you decide, buen camino...

Thank you Kirkie,I think my daughter and I would have mentally and physically pushed on and eventually got there. I still do triathlons and some distance trail runs. But, then I remembered one of the reasons I decided to do my Camino was to "Stop and take time to smell the roses". Us runners get too addicted to that adrenalin high. Mind you after reading a lot of these blogs it sounds to me like there might be quite a few" Camino Junkies" :)

Thank you Kirkie,I think my daughter and I would have mentally and physically pushed on and eventually got there. I still do triathlons and some distance trail runs. But, then I remembered one of the reasons I decided to do my Camino was to "Stop and take time to smell the roses". Us runners get too addicted to that adrenalin high. Mind you after reading a lot of these blogs it sounds to me like there might be quite a few" Camino Junkies" :)

My feeling is that stopping and smelling the roses is up to individual need and interpretation :). For instance, I would be bored with doing only 25 km days, as that would leave me arriving far too early at a stopping point. Sure, I can look around and enjoy 'touristy' things, but I do that anyway when I arrive where I'm going at my preferred stopping time. I take nice breaks, enjoy the ambiance of the villages I walk through, and feel relaxed and enjoy my pace, and would actually feel less comfortable artificially slowing down. My 'fast pace', the one I use to burn lots of miles -- like during some portions while hiking the PCT -- would be counterproductive on Camino, and not what I would choose to do.

By that same token, a 15 km day may be an overreach for some pilgrims, and they should be encouraged and made to feel OK about going at their own, slower pace.

Go at the pace that makes you happy, Tracey. You've got the time to adjust to the conditions of the Camino and to your natural, daily walking rhythm. If that means 40 km days or 14 km days, do what is comfortable for you :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back