• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Far to Book in Advance?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF September 2022
CF April 2024
Hi All, I've posted a couple of questions with respect to our upcoming Camino next month and I've appreciated the feedback - thank you.
My friend and I would prefer private rooms (albergues/hostals/pensions) for our accommodation and as most advice on this forum suggests that booking ahead to Pamplona is a good idea, we have done this. Out of sheer curiosity, I have looked further ahead at approximate dates that we expect to be in certain towns/villages and have identified a lot of accommodation has had the 'eyes picked out of it'; for example only the overly expensive or lowly rated/poor reviews places still available or no private rooms left to offer at all.
One thing that neither my friend nor I relish, is the 'bed race' and the anxiety surrounding this - no way to enjoy our camino. My friend intends having her backpack forwarded each day due to an injury, which will mean we do have to start each day knowing where it will end.
Would it be too crazy/restrictive to book the entire Camino in advance? I'm in two minds; we like being organised and pre-arranged accommodation (with free cancellation) would take a load off - the idea of walking for the day and taking our time knowing we have somewhere to stay would be great. I know we could find ourselves delayed for any number of reasons. Do we 'free range' it, or book as much as possible to avoid the anxiety around finding accommodation each day and deal with the consequences should they arise?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello
You sort of can't free I range if you need to send a pack forward, most if the times you need to let the transport co know the next destination the night before...
I suppose you can pre-book the whole Camino,it's not like it isn't possible
I pre-booked all my Albergues from León forward and yes it gave me a tremendous peace of mind (I was a part of the crowd that left SJPdP late May and we DID create a bed shortage and thus ensuing race)
Remember - it is your Camino after all, do what works best for you
Good luck and Buen camino

I am one of those who tends to book ahead, especially when there is a small group of us. It can be enjoyable to do the research in finding accommodation that is pilgrim friendly, has historical interest etc. Some things to keep in mind is to give yourself some short or rest days, and to decide ahead of time that you will taxi or bus a section or part of it when needed. Injuries can occur when you push yourself to make it to that certain town you had planned on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All, I've posted a couple of questions with respect to our upcoming Camino next month and I've appreciated the feedback - thank you.
My friend and I would prefer private rooms (albergues/hostals/pensions) for our accommodation and as most advice on this forum suggests that booking ahead to Pamplona is a good idea, we have done this. Out of sheer curiosity, I have looked further ahead at approximate dates that we expect to be in certain towns/villages and have identified a lot of accommodation has had the 'eyes picked out of it'; for example only the overly expensive or lowly rated/poor reviews places still available or no private rooms left to offer at all.
One thing that neither my friend nor I relish, is the 'bed race' and the anxiety surrounding this - no way to enjoy our camino. My friend intends having her backpack forwarded each day due to an injury, which will mean we do have to start each day knowing where it will end.
Would it be too crazy/restrictive to book the entire Camino in advance? I'm in two minds; we like being organised and pre-arranged accommodation (with free cancellation) would take a load off - the idea of walking for the day and taking our time knowing we have somewhere to stay would be great. I know we could find ourselves delayed for any number of reasons. Do we 'free range' it, or book as much as possible to avoid the anxiety around finding accommodation each day and deal with the consequences should they arise?
Where have you looked to determine the availability of accommodation? Have you made direct contact or relied on booking.com?

I book at least 6 months in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like @Anniesantiago, I, too, book well in advance. If you’re going to book rooms, the choice is so much better the farther out you are from walking. We’ll be back on the CF in April/May, and our room reservations are all set.

Because you want to transport a pack, as you said, you need to know your night’s destination. When I walk with my wife, we book our entire Camino. Yes, there can be unexpected events that might alter your plans, but in general, it works pretty well if you know how far you want to walk every day. But, I do like the reservations that offer free cancellations up to a day or so before expected arrival. However, some places are not so flexible. Nonetheless, the system of having reservations works well.

As you’ve already made reservations through Pamplona, you clearly know how to find places. However, this close to your Camino, you may find less availability of room on the booking sites like Booking.com. I like to also use Gronze.com to identify places and then contact them directly by email. In general, places will respond to you quickly letting you know if they have a room available. Because September is a busy month on the Camino and because you want to transport a pack and because you want private rooms and to avoid any stress from the possible “bed rush”, nailing down more accommodations down now seems like a good strategy. Buen Camino!

You have received some great advice from the veterans above.......except for one thing. They all know what their walking pace will be, and can reasonably pre-book a Camino armed with that experience. You do not know what your walking pace will be (first timer, right?) and will wind up using a guidebook standard for selecting your daily distance. Not everyone walks that pace, some are quicker, many are slower. Pre-booking the whole route may become a ball and chain if you find your daily pace does not match your expectations once you start walking.

Book a few days ahead of time. If you are really concerned about availability, book the next ten days. After Logrono, people start injuring out, and the accommodation situation improves as people wind up cancelling. I cannot recommend booking a whole Camino in advance to a first timer. As you learn your pace, you can make your reservations a few days ahead of you as you go. Sure, its a busy time to walk in September from SJPP, but there is always something available, somewhere.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You have received some great advice from the veterans above.......except for one thing. They all know what their walking pace will be, and can reasonably pre-book a Camino armed with that experience. You do not know what your walking pace will be (first timer, right?) and will wind up using a guidebook standard for selecting your daily distance. Not everyone walks that pace, some are quicker, many are slower. Pre-booking the whole route may become a ball and chain if you find your daily pace does not match your expectations once you start walking.

Book a few days ahead of time. If you are really concerned about availability, book the next ten days. After Logrono, people start injuring out, and the accommodation situation improves as people wind up cancelling. I cannot recommend booking a whole Camino in advance to a first timer. As you learn your pace, you can make your reservations a few days ahead of you as you go. Sure, its a busy time to walk in September from SJPP, but there is always something available, somewhere.
I would add to this to book conservatively. I am a seasoned hiker, and during my first Camino, my friend and I were unable to make the mileage we expected - you never know when blisters (I never got any) or foot/knee/ankle issues may arise, and having short days (or better yet, rest days) every few days, and projecting shorter regular days of walking is good insurance.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I JUST finished the Frances. We did not make ANY reservations in advance and we often did not arrive at our destination until after 6pm Only one day did we need to keep going due to a full Albergue. And, in that case we walked additional 3km to an EMPTY municipal Albergue. And that is the critical criteria. If you are flexible with where you can stay (ie municipal, dorms, upper bunks, etc) you will not need to engage in any “race for beds.” We found most of the municipals less than half full (where they are open).

When I walked the Portuguese Camino, I booked every night ahead and had my bag transferred every day. Yes, I had peace of mind. But, it can severely limit your flexibility. I got injured with 5 days of walking left, and really needed a couple of rest days. The logistics of changing all of my accommodations was formidable…and that’s just for 5 days! So I kept on walking, and I almost didn’t finish because of the injury.

I can’t imagine how difficult it would be to change arrangements for a 30 day walk! There’s been some good advice on the forum about planning several days ahead as an option. If you want private accommodations every night, you may need to plan well in advance.

If you run into a problem like I experienced, you can always skip stages and use public transportation to stay on schedule. It’s tricky.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where have you looked to determine the availability of accommodation? Have you made direct contact or relied on booking.com?
I've used a range of methods including, contacting the accommodation directly, as I can't understand enough Spanish to ensure I am booking correctly on their private site (as they had no English option). Booking.com is my first port of call, though, certainly not the only tool I use for booking; also My Pilgrim Bed, Gronze, and a host of other booking sites in the hope they may have availability as opposed to Booking which is so highly utilised (unfortunately, a lot of those just redirect you to Booking anyway)...

What amazing insight, advice and generosity in your responses. So glad I asked the question; definitely some thought provoking replies and sound advice, thank you. My friend and I have been 'training' for over 2.5 years now doing longer distance walks three to four times per week and have done a number of multi day hiking trips in national parks in the hinterland in preparation for our Camino, but, I'm sure nothing will compare or will have prepared us for the adventure we're about to experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I like to have a private room, 1-2 days in advance is sufficient, in my experience. But that is in May or Sept/Oct. I use booking.com mostly.
This was what I was expecting too, Damien, but it seems this year really is something else with numbers of pilgrims.

I've used a range of methods including, contacting the accommodation directly, as I can't understand enough Spanish to ensure I am booking correctly on their private site (as they had no English option)
If an English option is unavailable on a private site, try right-clicking within your browser and then choosing "translate to English."

Also, you may find availability by going directly onto the accommodation's website, even after finding nothing on some of the large booking platforms. Most accommodations only list a portion of their inventory through the third party websites.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there, I have always booked my rooms in advance. Find it reassuring and an incentive to keep going. Bon Camino

People forget it’s a pilgrimage. Go with the flow. How much trouble is caused by people booking up rooms only to cancel them and thus depriving someone who genuinely wants to book a room being denied as the accommodation is full.

Consider that some albuerges do not accept reservations at all. For instance Casa Paderborn in Pamplona does not take reservations. It's first come first serve until full. They open around 1 pm.
Critical dates are the San Fermines festivities in July. But only because all other accommodation will be closed or booked. And Casa Paderborn only has 26 beds

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back