• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How far

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino March and April 2018
Could someone please tell me how far it is on the Camino from St Jean to Santiago. I Am actually walking the France Way at this time and would like to know how far it is, every seems to have a different answer!
Many thanks Susan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As I was saying, see the picture .

Wish you well,Peter.

Attachments

• 20180330_155314.jpg
    20180330_155314.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Ah well, now that kind of depends. There are various variant routes along the general line of the Camino Frances so it kind of depends on which of those you take.

I do remember a thread from a couple of years back that asked this very question. A thread that got so heated that the Moderators closed it having issued suitable admonishments that were ignored.

That famous sign on the outskirts of the small French town gives an indicator.

Fans of that unspeakable Scottish duo may generally be allowed to chant "I just walked 500 miles..." on arrival in Santiago. "780 kilometres" doesn't fit the tune.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Be sure to figure in the walking you will do 'in the evening". In some of the big towns Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and the like, you will want to see the sights. So plan on early arrivals, or rest days to give you time to explore the buildings and the food, and best of all the people. Ask for help or directions, the people are the very best part.

In order to compute an exact figure you will have to describe the exact route for the total distance. There are many alternative options which add/subtract considerable distances over the entire route. The paths often change or are altered due to ownership conflicts. The routes through larger cities offer alternatives.
One KM is a rather small unit of measurement over a long distance and it is very easy to add 20 to 50 KM (12 to 30 miles) over a walk from SJPdP to Santiago simply by taking an alternative path or two.

The most often and probably most accurate estimate is "about" 800 km.

@Peter Fransiscus I have worked in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. I can assure you that the information used by the PO is not particularly accurate or carefully researched. It should not be relied on as more reliable than any other. :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I walked in 2014, I was wearing a distance tracker that send me an email at the end of the Camino to the effect of, "Congratulations, you have just walked the distance of NYC to Miami". And I thought, "Silly Jawbone!"
If anyone out there is wearing a satellite distance tracker (like a GPS smart watch), I'd be curious to know what the data reads are.
But it is true: how much you wander to see sites that are off the path, whether you take the main route or an alternate (like from Leon to Villadonga, and Orbigo to Astorga; the Oviedo from Pontferrada, the Valcarlos or the Napoleon start, the river or the industrial route into Burgos... these things will alter your distance from those of fellow pilgrims).
I bussed a total of 26k K on Camino because of illness and injury on the last trip, but I do not doubt that I crossed North/central Spain on foot.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If anyone out there is wearing a satellite distance tracker (like a GPS smart watch), I'd be curious to know what the data reads are.
I've been following a published GPS track through the Sierras de la Demanda while looking for a route from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Santo Domingo de los Silos. There is one point where I am sure the poster wishes they had switched off their tracker. A sudden direction change and then a loop back to the original track aroused my curiosity so I zoomed in on satellite view and realised after some scrutiny that their route deviation arose from a, possibly hurried, search for a bush to crouch behind in otherwise open country...

GPS might tell you how far you've been (if you'll pardon the pun) but it won't tell you how far you might have been.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The "Official" Saint Jean Pied de Port-to-Santiago distance was changed a couple of seasons ago. It was 775 km. It is now 799 km.

I noticed the change while I was working there as a volunteer. I asked staff about this and was told that the distances were recently revised using GPS instead of a surveyor's wheel. The interim distances as well as distances along other main Camino routes are also being revised.

Hope this helps.

Some truisms

A journey of 775 (or even 799) kilometres starts with but one step.

The Pilgrims Office is unlikely to award a Compostella should you rock up with irrefutable proof of having walked 775 (or even 799) kilometres.

Whatever, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

The interim distances as well as distances along other main Camino routes are also being revised.

Are these revised distances going to be made more widely available?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If using the traditional definition of where a Camino begins, then it all depends on where your front door is located :)

Are these revised distances going to be made more widely available?

No. Generally, you walk the Camino, show up and ask for a Compostela, and ask for the optional Distance Certificate. The staff review your credencial and figure out the distance walked.

That is how you find out how far you walked, at least officially. I am not aware that the revised distances are published anywhere. They reside in a table resident in the Pilgrim Office computer system.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.